MTA/NYCT consder buying smaller size buses for lightly used routes?

Shortline Bus

I know some of you may think i gone insane but what about this question? What about the MTA consider buying smaller fuel effeicent buses similar in size to NYC acess a ride or shuttle buses on LI Bus or Westchester County's Bee Line?

It would be perfect for routes IMO like the Q79, M8, B71 and several other routes overnight like the B31, B77, M66, etc. By buying these fuel effeicent buses it would save the agency millions. Plus most transit agencies in US use these buses on their lightly used routes like up here in Dutchess and Orange/Ulster Counties.

What you guys think? IMO buying smaller buses is better than no service at all.B)(MTA)

I also wished they would have gotten smaller buses that would meet the weight requirement for the Brooklyn Bridge. there was not too long ago even an idea proposed to run buses across the Brooklyn Brige (in the event the Manhattan bridge was closed to trains), but the problem was the weight.

Like Articulated said, Bee-Line's already done that. They swapped the MCI coaches on their BxM4C for smaller buses. I can't say that'd be a bad idea. Buses like the BxM7B, for example, could totally be a smaller bus.

Actually that is not a swap to a smaller bus. The MCI 102-A2 was 40ft long, and so is the Orion V's that are replacing them. Only the Orion is shorter in height........

To all: As for what other agencies do, well the MTA isn't comparable to any here in the states. LA's population is less than half the size of NYC's, and Bee-Lines bus ridership isn't comparable. Why does the MTA run artics overnight on the Bx9, Bx12, Bx19, Bx41 etc. Reason being those runs and buses are out for rush hour trips also. That is the reason why MTA won't get smaller buses. Besides with the economy now, more people will be utilizing those buses as alternates (when possible), when the main used lines get to capacity.........

Eh, I bet they, Er, won't... LOLz, that is mini-est bus I ever seen!

The Romans use these buses sometimes especially in the ancient parts of the city. The streets are very narrow so they needed buses that have the specific dimensions that could run down the street without having to knock statues of Caesar or Augustus down.

I know some of you may think i gone insane but what about this question? What about the MTA consider buying smaller fuel effeicent buses similar in size to NYC acess a ride or shuttle buses on LI Bus or Westchester County's Bee Line?

It would be perfect for routes IMO like the Q79, M8, B71 and several other routes overnight like the B31, B77, M66, etc. By buying these fuel effeicent buses it would save the agency millions. Plus most transit agencies in US use these buses on their lightly used routes like up here in Dutchess and Orange/Ulster Counties.

What you guys think? IMO buying smaller buses is better than no service at all.;)(MTA)

I have taken small SEPTA #127 bus ride from Newshimy Mall to Trenton, NJ. I thought it was going to American Ikarus according to SEPTA schedule, but it happened to be smaller one. Maybe SEPTA-fan might know the name of bus model, but do to Queens CVS forgot to put CD, I couldn't post picture.

I also has ridden Bee-Line Airlink two times.

Well yes...

Now on small buses... if the MTA were to order small buses, I don't think they could go this far:

94636175_581b933e86.jpg?v=0

A Roman minibus

If that passed the wiehgt restrictions on the Brooklyn Bridge; that would be exactly the kind of thing I'm saying they should get.

(Or, perhaops a private operator would have to get the license to run it as MTA probably wouldn't want to be bothered with that).

If that passed the wiehgt restrictions on the Brooklyn Bridge; that would be exactly the kind of thing I'm saying they should get.

(Or, perhaops a private operator would have to get the license to run it as MTA probably wouldn't want to be bothered with that).

The official limit is 3 tons, though I see plenty of 5 ton mini buses using it with no problem.

Archived