Unchanged Subway Lines

B41

Hmm...before the switch (4) & (5) would terminate at Atlantic Ave btn rush hours. During the evening rush (4) terminated at Flatbush (5) went to Utica. As the eve rush wound down a few (4)s & (5)s ran to New Lots and then to the yard for layup. (4) went to Flatbush normally along with the (3) which stopped running after 10PM from 145 in Manh. The (2) was terminating at New Lots and ran 24/7.

(4) & (5) still run a coupla trains to New Lots today in the latter part of the eve rush for layup over night or over the weekend.

Ah thanks for the info!

*In my best Barry White voice* Sho you right. And the service was much improved. The TA didn't want any falloff in service on the (1) in Manh so of course they had to add more trains for the extended run. It was weird seeing headways of 3-4 mins on the New Lots line and even less at Franklin Ave where the (2) joined up

You want them to keep this service?

4. I remember when the (B) had terminals in all boroughs (except SI duh) Bedford Pk Blvd (Bronx), Washington Hts-168 St (Manhattan), 21 St-Queensbridge (Queens), and Coney Island (Brooklyn via West End)

-It went to Washington Hts-168th St during rush hours, 145th in the middays. IIRC. It went to Queensbridge during weekends. It got switched to Concourse in the late 90's.

It was cut to 34th Street in 2001 during the Manny B construction.

1. For a while about 25-30 years ago, the (6) went to Atlantic Av.

2. Also, even though the (Z) is young compared to most other lines (EXCEPT the (V) & (W)) it had some changes. It used to go to 168 St-Jamaica Av with the (J), but that was around the time when the (Z) first came out, and Jamaica Center wasn't built yet. When the Williamsburg Bridge was closed, skip-stop service started at Eastern Pkwy-Bway Junction towards Queens.

3. I rememberthe time when the (M) midday last stop was 9 Av, and rush hour service still went to Bay Pkwy.

4. I remember when the (B) had terminals in all boroughs (except SI duh) Bedford Pk Blvd (Bronx), Washington Hts-168 St (Manhattan), 21 St-Queensbridge (Queens), and Coney Island (Brooklyn via West End)

The (Z) actually never saw any service to Jamaica-168 St. Jamaica Center opened up to the (E) & (J) and new (Z) all together. The last stop for the (J) for some time was Queens Blvd, later 121 St.

(B) Service - May to November 1995, during the Manhattan Br Rehab project:

Rush Hours: 168 St to Coney Island

Weekday Middays: Atlantic Av-Pacific St to Coney Island

Weekends: Atlantic Av-Pacific St to Coney Island

Late nights: 36 St to Coney Island

*Weekday Midday & Weekend (Q) Service ran to 21 St-Queensbridge via Brighton Local, Lower Manhattan, & Broadway Express during this time.

(B)-Pre March 1998 (B)/© Swap:

Weekdays/Rush Hours: 168 St to Coney Island

Weekends: 21 St-Queensbridge to Coney Island

Late Nights: 36 St to Coney Island

Post March 1998 (B)/© Swap:

Rush Hours: Bedford Pk Blvd to Coney Island

Weekdays: 145 St to Coney Island

*Weekends: 21 St-QueensBridge OR 57 St/6 Av to Coney Island

* Some weekends or major construction along 63 St, cut (B) service back to Midtown-57 St/6 Av.

Post July 22, 2001 Manhattan Bridge (B) Service:

Rush Hours: Bedford Pk to 34 St

Weekdays: 145 St to 34 St

Post February 22, 2004 Manhattan Bridge Service (Present Service):

Rush Hours: Bedford Pk to Brighton Beach

Weekdays: 145 St to Brighton Beach

Zach

*Weekday Midday & Weekend (Q) Service ran to 21 St-Queensbridge via Brighton Local, Lower Manhattan, & Broadway Express during this time.

* Some weekends or major construction along 63 St, cut (B) service back to Midtown-57 St/6 Av.

Zach

good times..... The (B) should have never left West End, nor should it have left 168th Street....

Zach

How do you remember this stuff??

good times..... The (B) should have never left West End, nor should it have left 168th Street....

Yeah man! On weekends, back in the late 80s & early 90s, I remember riding 6 Car R40 Slant (B) Trains between Coney Island and 62 or 36 St, only to come back to Coney Island with the (N). Good times...:tup:

Yeah man! On weekends, back in the late 80s & early 90s, I remember riding 6 Car R40 Slant (B) Trains between Coney Island and 62 or 36 St, only to come back to Coney Island with the (N). Good times...:tup:

yeah, i remember seeing a six-car R40 slants (B) when i was six or seven. i also remember riding an R68A (D) train that was using only four cars and an R68 <Q> that allowed a railfan window. i was only three at the time. those were the good old days.

but the reason why the (B) left the West End Line is because the residents there wanted full-time access to Grand Street while Brighton customers preferred service to Broadway over 6th Avenue. That is why the (Q) remained the same when the Manhattan Bridge reopened five years ago.

yeah, i remember seeing a six-car R40 slants (:) when i was six or seven. i also remember riding an R68A (D) train that was using only four cars and an R68 <Q> that allowed a railfan window. i was only three at the time. those were the good old days.

oh man i remember that too!!! i loved those days.

R68 on the (D)<Q>, sometimes (N).

R68 on the (S) Franklin Av Shuttle

R68A on the (B)(D)(Q), very few times the (N) and (Q6) before those crappy R40 Slants were placed on the Brighton Line.

then after 2001,

R68 on the (B)(D)(Q), sometimes (N)<Q>(W)

R68A on the (Q)(W), sometimes (N)<Q>

NOW:

R68 on the (B)(D)(W), sometimes (N) and (Q).

R68 on the (S) Franklin Av remains the same.

R68A on the (B)(Q), sometimes (N)(W).

Since those crappy R160's took over the entire (N) line and HALF of the (Q) line, some R68/R68A's are going to the (G), i dont know if thats true or not.

R68A on the (:)(D)(Q), very few times the (N) and (Q6) before those crappy R40 Slants were placed on the Brighton Line.

then after 2001,

NOW:

Since those crappy R160's took over the entire (N) line and HALF of the (Q) line, some R68/R68A's are going to the (G), i dont know if thats true or not.

Hmmmm the R-40S and R-160's isn't crap.....its much faster than the R-68's!

yeah, i remember seeing a six-car R40 slants (:) when i was six or seven. i also remember riding an R68A (D) train that was using only four cars and an R68 <Q> that allowed a railfan window. i was only three at the time. those were the good old days.

but the reason why the (B) left the West End Line is because the residents there wanted full-time access to Grand Street while Brighton customers preferred service to Broadway over 6th Avenue. That is why the (Q) remained the same when the Manhattan Bridge reopened five years ago.

Brighton line (Q), QB, and QT riders have hated the 6th Ave services since they were instituted . There were protests back then and the TA put in a few a.m. and p.m. Broadway rush hour trains for Brighton riders. The NX Broadway service failed to mollify the riders because it only saved time for the riders on the extreme southern end of the Brighton line.

Hmm...before the switch (4) & (5) would terminate at Atlantic Ave btn rush hours. During the evening rush (4) terminated at Flatbush (5) went to Utica. As the eve rush wound down a few (4)s & (5)s ran to New Lots and then to the yard for layup. (4) went to Flatbush normally along with the (3) which stopped running after 10PM from 145 in Manh. The (2) was terminating at New Lots and ran 24/7.

(4) & (5) still run a coupla trains to New Lots today in the latter part of the eve rush for layup over night or over the weekend.

Back in the day, when I was a new C/R, we ran 5 car trains on the (2) from New Lots to 241 st on the midnights. We also ran 5 cars on the (1) from Van Cortlandt Park to the ferry on the midnights. IIRC the (C) ran 4 cars during the midday from Euclid to 145 st. on weekdays.

(:) Service - May to November 1995, during the Manhattan Br Rehab project:

Zach

I remember seeing (B)s at 145 Street on weekends while 63 Street was under construction.

Brighton line (Q), QB, and QT riders have hated the 6th Ave services since they were instituted . There were protests back then and the TA put in a few a.m. and p.m. Broadway rush hour trains for Brighton riders. The NX Broadway service failed to mollify the riders because it only saved time for the riders on the extreme southern end of the Brighton line.

The NX was a mystery line to me because I never was able to catch it. By the time my 11 year old butt got down to BB the last one had left. So one time during Summer recess when I was staying at Nana's apt in Manhattan I snuck out early in the AM and got over to 57th & 7th. Thought I'd be slick and catch NX going BACK to Brooklyn. I saw one on the uptown side pull in and I crossed over, figuring that was the next one going back. C/R said "Last Stop No Passengers" and he closed it up and it pulled out going uptown. The 2 following NXs did the same and no more came after that. I waited for prolly an hour on the downtown side but (Q)s & (N)s were terminating at 57 in the middle while the QT, RR & (T) pulled in and out against the wall. I finally got up enough courage to ask a C/R when's the next NX coming and he said not til the afternoon. Darn things ran to Manh AM RH and from Man PM RH. Never got another chance to try again cause the NX was killed before I got another chance! :cry:

R68A on the (:)(D)(Q), very few times the (N) and (Q6) before those crappy R40 Slants were placed on the Brighton Line.

then after 2001,

NOW:

R68/68As will go on the (G) and perhaps the (A) and (C) once the (N)(Q)(W) become fully R160s.

I remember seeing (B)s at 145 Street on weekends while 63 Street was under construction.

it did, the March 2001 map said it. Central Park West riders loved it, but i still do not understand why (NYCT) will not run the B on weekends. the (C) and (Q) get jam packed during that time.

Hmm...something don't add up. Lessee...before the northside of the Manh Br switched to 6th Ae ther was the (N), NX, (Q) QB/QT, RR, (T) & TT. (N) & QB/QT ran 24/7. NX was RHO uni directional, (Q) ran from 6A-8P M-F, RR terminated in BK nights, TT ran btn 36 and CI after the (T) stopped running to Astoria...so if (N) & (Q) went to 57, QB/QT & (T) went to Ditmars...where did RR go? Was the connection established to Qns Plaza before or after the Bridge switch? Cause I can't believe 3 trains ran to Ditmars during the day :confused:

Oh yeah one last thing...anyone recall the (N) running to 71 on the Blvd switching out with the (R)? I remember this happening in 1992 when I worked out of the Qns Plaza Lighting Shop.

Hmm...something don't add up. Lessee...before the northside of the Manh Br switched to 6th Ae ther was the (N), NX, (Q) QB/QT, RR, (T) & TT. (N) & QB/QT ran 24/7. NX was RHO uni directional, (Q) ran from 6A-8P M-F, RR terminated in BK nights, TT ran btn 36 and CI after the (T) stopped running to Astoria...so if (N) & (Q) went to 57, QB/QT & (T) went to Ditmars...where did RR go? Was the connection established to Qns Plaza before or after the Bridge switch? Cause I can't believe 3 trains ran to Ditmars during the day :confused:

Oh yeah one last thing...anyone recall the (N) running to 71 on the Blvd switching out with the (R)? I remember this happening in 1992 when I worked out of the Qns Plaza Lighting Shop.

May 24, 1987, the (N) & (R) switched Queens Terminals..

(N) To Astoria-Ditmars Blvd

(R) To Forest Hills-71 Av

Zach

Archived