My Ideas For The M,G,Z,W Cuts

Sea Beach

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

The (M) is better cut out of that side of Brooklyn, because it becomes useless for the other end where it's needed: along Myrtle. It's always getting hung up on 4th Av or the West End (especially in the afternoons with that stretch known for its rowdy school kids), and then we on the other end have to wait, and then it skips stations. There are alternatives for 4th Av and West End, but there really aren't for Myrtle.

I had already planned to take a timetable and propose a reduction to a peak direction one way "special" (like the old QB or RJ). I wasn't sure how much - could reduce it, but now that they're considering eliminating it, any reduction to a special would be an improvement. So if they eliminate it, whenever the financial situation lightens up, it could then be brought back as five or so peak direction specials from Bay Pkwy. The Myrtle end would no longer have to depend on the reverse peak trains from Bay Pkwy.

The (W) is an absolute mess now, because of the backup caused at Whitehall, with one waiting to get in, and an (R) and the next (W) right behind it. So now, City Hall has been stopping every (R) and (W) at several points along the way, from Times Sq on down, to keep it evenly spaced. So perhaps the idea hasn't worked, and replacing the (W) with the (Q) might be a better idea. (as much as I dread the reduction of jobs, and less for me to pick).

The (W) has been used as the gap service for the (R), but it would be less disruptive for the (N) to fill the gap by styaing on the local and through the tunnel (and by 59th, the delayed (R) will usually have caught up) than extending a (W).

With the frequent delays in Queens on the (R), which is inconvenient for the Brooklyn end, I was wondering if it might be better for the (W) to serve Queens Blvd. But then it would be worse delays getting into Whitehall, since there are more frequent ®'s. Perhaps if they extended and reopened City Hall lower.

Not even reopened. Completed, and then opened, period. It could work. There are switches between Canal and City Hall from the local to the express tracks... ahhh, too hard for me to explain. Just take a gander for yourself. Click on the map to zoom in.

It never opened, I believe. It could work, but... I do have a concern with the patronage of that station. Who would go there?

I don't know whaty I said "reopened". :) In a rush, I guess. I know it can be done, for I've had layups down there, and this Christmas and New Year's I had one of the putin jobs. You need about two more car lengths for the westernmost platform (the other platform is even shorter, but you wouldn'really need that anyway).

I've always felt that the (Z) should be cut. Wasn't it essentially about as useful as the (9) in terms of service? They could just cut it and run more (J)s. I kinda like having the (W) down here to catch when i go up along the (R) line. But I definitely see where it causes delays. I think the (Q) would be better suited as a replacement for service to Astoria also.

I'm glad to hear the (G) might be extended to Church Avenue. I see them go down that way all the time. It would make sense for the (MTA) to provide express service on the (G) between Smith-9th St and Church

Just my two cents there.

I don't think there is any benefit for terminating trains at the lower level City Hall. My reasons:

-City Hall station falls short of the Financial District

-There is no transfer at City Hall to another line (aside from the R) that can reach further Downtown

-The ridership level

Now... how about this... say you are a person at City Hall. You just finished doing whatever you were doing 5 minutes ago and you are pretty tired. And you step down into City Hall Station. You paid your fare. Which train would you board AT THE FIRST INSTINCT AND THOUGHT? The R that is on the same level as fare control, or the W that is ONE LEVEL BELOW?

If for whatever reason you are going to Astoria, won't you take the R to 14th and take the N across the platform?

Cutting short at City Hall means that 3 important stops would be cut out from the route:

-Cortlandt Street, although it is closed now, when it will open it will serve the new WTC and also it will connect to the new PATH terminal

-Rector Street, it is adjacent to Wall Street and the heart of the Financial District

-Whitehall Street, this currently benefits ferry riders A LOT

Just my twopence.

That was actually just a wild idea, in the event they were to run the (W) from Forest Hills to Lower Manhattan only, so that the (R) riders in Brooklyn would no longer have to depend on the trains caught in delays from Queens. Whitehall would not be able to handle the Queens service, so the only alternative would be to use City Hall lower level. (and then some trains could still run to Whitehall for additional capacity and access).

But I'm not seriously suggesting that, as the (R) then would end up going back to Astoria, and it would recreate the problem of it not havign a yard. the (W) is like that now, but it is not as long. Perhaps if they had taken the space in sunnyside for a yard, then something like that would be feasible.

then there are the other ideas like the ones people have suggested, with the (W) simply being extended into Brooklyn, but as was pointed out, they're cutting now, not expanding, so that would be out of the question for the near future anyway.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.1; en-us; dream) AppleWebKit/525.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0.4 Mobile Safari/523.12.2)

The (M) is better cut out of that side of Brooklyn, because it becomes useless for the other end where it's needed: along Myrtle. It's always getting hung up on 4th Av or the West End (especially in the afternoons with that stretch known for its rowdy school kids), and then we on the other end have to wait, and then it skips stations. There are alternatives for 4th Av and West End, but there really aren't for Myrtle.

I had already planned to take a timetable and propose a reduction to a peak direction one way "special" (like the old QB or RJ). I wasn't sure how much - could reduce it, but now that they're considering eliminating it, any reduction to a special would be an improvement. So if they eliminate it, whenever the financial situation lightens up, it could then be brought back as five or so peak direction specials from Bay Pkwy. The Myrtle end would no longer have to depend on the reverse peak trains from Bay Pkwy.

The (W) is an absolute mess now, because of the backup caused at Whitehall, with one waiting to get in, and an (R) and the next (W) right behind it. So now, City Hall has been stopping every (R) and (W) at several points along the way, from Times Sq on down, to keep it evenly spaced. So perhaps the idea hasn't worked, and replacing the (W) with the (Q) might be a better idea. (as much as I dread the reduction of jobs, and less for me to pick).

The (W) has been used as the gap service for the (R), but it would be less disruptive for the (N) to fill the gap by styaing on the local and through the tunnel (and by 59th, the delayed (R) will usually have caught up) than extending a (W).

With the frequent delays in Queens on the (R), which is inconvenient for the Brooklyn end, I was wondering if it might be better for the (W) to serve Queens Blvd. But then it would be worse delays getting into Whitehall, since there are more frequent ®'s. Perhaps if they extended and reopened City Hall lower.

Eric B i really like your peak direction (M) train idea to/from Bay Parkway. It makes use of that line.

but dont u think it'll be too many trains on the 60 st Tunnel? i mean the (N)(Q)(R)(W) train servicing the same track, thats too many trains on one track unless.....

(N)(Q) to Astoria and (R) to Forest Hills share the track at 60 St Tunnel...

(W) runs on the (F) line (via 63 St Tunnel) and run local after 21 St-Queensbridge to Forest Hills

(V) can get extended to Jamaica Center via Queens Blvd Lcl/ExP???

How about (N)(Q) to Astoria then the (N) runs express betweem Astoria blvd and Queensboro Plaza weekdays in the peak direction and weekends the (Q) terminates at 57st-7 Av and the (N) is local in Queens.

Now for the (J)(M)(Z)

Keep the (Z)

When (Z) operates, have (J) terminate at Chambers st.

Midday (M) terminates at Broad St. Rush Hour still goes to Bay Parkway.

Have (J) terminate at Broad St every day.

Posted via Mobile Device

but dont u think it'll be too many trains on the 60 st Tunnel? i mean the (N)(Q)(R)(W) train servicing the same track, thats too many trains on one track unless.....

(N)(Q) to Astoria and (R) to Forest Hills share the track at 60 St Tunnel...

(W) runs on the (F) line (via 63 St Tunnel) and run local after 21 St-Queensbridge to Forest Hills

(V) can get extended to Jamaica Center via Queens Blvd Lcl/ExP???

I said (W) or (Q) to Forest Hills not both B)

I think the (Q) would be better off going there,cause the (W) would be the same line as the (R) unless like you said run the (W) via 63 st,thats not a bad idea.

How about (N)(Q) to Astoria then the (N) runs express betweem Astoria blvd and Queensboro Plaza weekdays in the peak direction and weekends the (Q) terminates at 57st-7 Av and the (N) is local in Queens.

Now for the (J)(M)(Z)

Keep the (Z)

When (Z) operates, have (J) terminate at Chambers st.

Midday (M) terminates at Broad St. Rush Hour still goes to Bay Parkway.

Have (J) terminate at Broad St every day.

I say let the (Q) be the Astoria Peak Direction express,not the (N)

guys, please. stop making so many strange suggestions. create your own fantasy map if you have to.

They may be strange to you,but we can make up suggestions all we want,it is a suggestion topic. If you dont like it well isnt that to bad.

Wirelessly posted

well if they extend the (Q) to Astoria they can try a few test runs.

The (W) used to be the Astoria Express train peak direction when it started and it was a failure. The point of running two trains to Astoria is that people have the option of taking a train that runs express down Broadway or a local train so they don't have to transfer. If the (W) was the Astoria express no one one could board after Astoria Blvd so all those people would have to take the (N) and then if they wanted to get off a Broadway local stop they'd have to transfer back to the (R) or (W). And if you've ever rode to Astoria you would see ALOT of riders get off at 30th Avenue and this would divert all of those riders to the Astoria local train. Express runs along then end of a line don't really work, especially since there are only 6 stops after QB Plaza. If the Astoria line went past Ditmars Blvd for a lengthier run then it would be more useful but not in it's present state.

guys, please. stop making so many strange suggestions. create your own fantasy map if you have to.

Thank you and they still doing it and wonder why so many threads have been closed b/c they going off-topic!

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; FunWebProducts; GTB5; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506)

Thank you and they still doing it and wonder why so many threads have been closed b/c they going off-topic!

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; FunWebProducts; GTB5; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506)

excuse me,this topic is about ideas/suggestions,were not going off topic!!!

sheesh,what is wrong with you ppl,keep your stupid comments to yourself!!

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

The (W) used to be the Astoria Express train peak direction when it started and it was a failure. The point of running two trains to Astoria is that people have the option of taking a train that runs express down Broadway or a local train so they don't have to transfer. If the (W) was the Astoria express no one one could board after Astoria Blvd so all those people would have to take the (N) and then if they wanted to get off a Broadway local stop they'd have to transfer back to the (R) or (W). And if you've ever rode to Astoria you would see ALOT of riders get off at 30th Avenue and this would divert all of those riders to the Astoria local train. Express runs along then end of a line don't really work, especially since there are only 6 stops after QB Plaza. If the Astoria line went past Ditmars Blvd for a lengthier run then it would be more useful but not in it's present state.

ohhh,ic. so if the (Q) were extended it should go local.

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

excuse me,this topic is about ideas/suggestions,were not going off topic!!!

sheesh,what is wrong with you ppl,keep your stupid comments to yourself!!

As I stated b4 its already topics about the (G), (M)(W) and (Z) from being cut and 2nd this is an open board.....ppl are allowed to say what they want to say as long its no name calling or using any cuss words!

ohhh,ic. so if the (Q) were extended it should go local.

Yeah if the (W) were cut and the (Q) extended to Astoria, the (Q) would be local as well. I think the (Q) would remain Broadway Express though and the (N) would go back to the Broadway Local service

As I stated b4 its already topics about the (G), (M)(W) and (Z) from being cut and 2nd this is an open board.....ppl are allowed to say what they want to say as long its no name calling or using any cuss words!

Exactly,its about the (G)(M)(W)(Z),and thats what were all talking about!

Doesent matter,its ppl's disgusting attitudes and comments that really need to go. If they dont like something then simply dont comment if there gonna get nasty.

Yeah if the (W) were cut and the (Q) extended to Astoria, the (Q) would be local as well. I think the (Q) would remain Broadway Express though and the (N) would go back to the Broadway Local service

Yeah,that would probally happen.

Archived