What languages do you know?

MTR Admiralty

Since our community is composed of people of different backgrounds, etc..., I thought it would cool to see what languages other than English that other people here can speak. After all, New York is a melting pot.

For me:

My native language is Cantonese (this is a language of its own right, rather than a dialect). Well, yeah, I speak English.

I was taught Mandarin (another language of its own right, rather than a dialect). In middle school, my foreign language was Spanish. Now, I am learning French. Parlez-vous français?

I know some Italian, as well as Russian and Korean (my school has a lot of Koreans, so it's wise to pick up a few words). I had once studied Japanese and German, learning the basics (and forgetting them, do to a lack of use).

I could read and write Russian, but most of the time I would not be able to understand what was written. I could also read and write Korean, but again, I will not be able to understand what was written.

I read and write (and interpret) with great proficiency when it comes to Traditional Chinese. I read the Chinese newspaper (Singtao Daily) here regularly.

So that's my story... your turn! :cool:

English (obviously), limited Mandarin Chinese from my school course (yet I'm ethnic Cantonese, but know nothing about that :P) and mediocre Spanish (from grammar school).

If music can be considered a language, I speak that too. B)

my primary languages are english and cantonese (though i have to improve my skills on the latter and learn how to write characters as well). i also know a little bit of japanese, russian, and spanish because i listen to songs in those languages (and people keep asking me why lol) and i have a lot of russian friends.

my primary languages are english and cantonese (though i have to improve my skills on the latter and learn how to write characters as well). i also know a little bit of japanese, russian, and spanish because i listen to songs in those languages (and people keep asking me why lol) and i have a lot of russian friends.

I happen to know how to sing (and memorise) the Russian national anthem.

I happen to know how to sing (and memorise) the Russian national anthem.

nice. for a short time, i was able to sing a couple of songs by Alsou and t.A.T.u. after listening to them non-stop for two weeks. that is how i was also able to sing many Cantopop songs by Leon Lai and Hacken Lee even though i have no clue what they are saying lol.

nice. for a short time, i was able to sing a couple of songs by Alsou and t.A.T.u. after listening to them non-stop for two weeks. that is how i was also able to sing many Cantopop songs by Leon Lai and Hacken Lee even though i have no clue what they are saying lol.

tatu is pretty cool group...I'm starting to know a little Russian,because of that..lol,but their Alphabet is a different story.I enjoy learning Russian than I do Spanish,because when I was in school I sucked.

English and Spanish! =)

I did learned Japaninese in 7th grade but i forgot after that, all i know is that word u use to greet when u meet sum1 for the first time, hajmemasite? I forgot how u spell it =X.

I'm fluent in Cantonese and English - reading, writing, speaking, and all that crap.

Then spent like 5 years learning Spanish as a foreign language in school and got a 94 on the Regents, but I'm forgetting them really quickly.

Mandarin... well, with a heavy Cantonese accent, if you know what I mean.

And lastly, learning Japanese right now. Considering German when I get good in Japanese.

Mandarin... well, with a heavy Cantonese accent, if you know what I mean.

Same here, I worked in Chinatown once for a doctor. And a Mando-speaking patient called us, I tried my best to speak Mandarin without any accent and the dude over the line couldn't understand what the hell I was trying to say.

Guest Charles

English, French, and basic creole. I know 4 Chinese dialects: Mandarin, Cantonese (not that fluently), Sichuanese, and Fujianese.

I was born in Kyoto, Japan, live in Osaka/Miyazaki.

Japanese, English.

Easy Spanish like Espanol, La Casa, Beso, Uno to Deiz, Greeting in Spanish.

Plaza Sesamo. (I learn from Sesame St, Plaza Sesamo, Dora the Explorer, Go, Sandiego.)

I also learn Ticero Neueve from Channel 47 News.

Only hello like Guten Tag, Bonjour, Jumbo (Swahili), Nee-haw, Onyon (Korean hello), Thank you like Shi-Shi, Merci. Excuse me that I only know is french, excuse moi.

Archived