Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
MTR Admiralty

What languages do you know?

Since our community is composed of people of different backgrounds, etc..., I thought it would cool to see what languages other than English that other people here can speak. After all, New York is a melting pot.

For me:

My native language is Cantonese (this is a language of its own right, rather than a dialect). Well, yeah, I speak English.

I was taught Mandarin (another language of its own right, rather than a dialect). In middle school, my foreign language was Spanish. Now, I am learning French. Parlez-vous français?

I know some Italian, as well as Russian and Korean (my school has a lot of Koreans, so it's wise to pick up a few words). I had once studied Japanese and German, learning the basics (and forgetting them, do to a lack of use).

I could read and write Russian, but most of the time I would not be able to understand what was written. I could also read and write Korean, but again, I will not be able to understand what was written.

I read and write (and interpret) with great proficiency when it comes to Traditional Chinese. I read the Chinese newspaper (Singtao Daily) here regularly.

So that's my story... your turn! :cool:

My native language is English. I speak very limited Italian, and even further limited Japanese. I also can read a little Spanish.

English and just enough Italian to not get lost. Been interested in learning Japanese and/or Cantonese.

English (obviously), limited Mandarin Chinese from my school course (yet I'm ethnic Cantonese, but know nothing about that :P) and mediocre Spanish (from grammar school).

If music can be considered a language, I speak that too. B)

my primary languages are english and cantonese (though i have to improve my skills on the latter and learn how to write characters as well). i also know a little bit of japanese, russian, and spanish because i listen to songs in those languages (and people keep asking me why lol) and i have a lot of russian friends.

my primary languages are english and cantonese (though i have to improve my skills on the latter and learn how to write characters as well). i also know a little bit of japanese, russian, and spanish because i listen to songs in those languages (and people keep asking me why lol) and i have a lot of russian friends.

I happen to know how to sing (and memorise) the Russian national anthem.

I happen to know how to sing (and memorise) the Russian national anthem.

nice. for a short time, i was able to sing a couple of songs by Alsou and t.A.T.u. after listening to them non-stop for two weeks. that is how i was also able to sing many Cantopop songs by Leon Lai and Hacken Lee even though i have no clue what they are saying lol.

nice. for a short time, i was able to sing a couple of songs by Alsou and t.A.T.u. after listening to them non-stop for two weeks. that is how i was also able to sing many Cantopop songs by Leon Lai and Hacken Lee even though i have no clue what they are saying lol.

tatu is pretty cool group...I'm starting to know a little Russian,because of that..lol,but their Alphabet is a different story.I enjoy learning Russian than I do Spanish,because when I was in school I sucked.

English and Spanish! =)

I did learned Japaninese in 7th grade but i forgot after that, all i know is that word u use to greet when u meet sum1 for the first time, hajmemasite? I forgot how u spell it =X.

im good in english (obviously)

i can speak in cantonese but not mandarin and i cant read chinese lol

i took spanish for 3 years in JHS (barely passed 7th and 8th, failed 9th so i finally quit) now im takin french @ school

im good in english (obviously)

i can speak in cantonese but not mandarin and i cant read chinese lol

i took spanish for 3 years in JHS (barely passed 7th and 8th, failed 9th so i finally quit) now im takin french @ school

Tu es cantonais, aussi!

I am a native English speaker although I do understand some Kapampangan, (one of the Filipino languages my parents speak that to me sometimes). Before you ask I don't speak Kapampangan that well.

I'm fluent in Cantonese and English - reading, writing, speaking, and all that crap.

Then spent like 5 years learning Spanish as a foreign language in school and got a 94 on the Regents, but I'm forgetting them really quickly.

Mandarin... well, with a heavy Cantonese accent, if you know what I mean.

And lastly, learning Japanese right now. Considering German when I get good in Japanese.

Mandarin... well, with a heavy Cantonese accent, if you know what I mean.

Same here, I worked in Chinatown once for a doctor. And a Mando-speaking patient called us, I tried my best to speak Mandarin without any accent and the dude over the line couldn't understand what the hell I was trying to say.

Guest Charles

English, French, and basic creole. I know 4 Chinese dialects: Mandarin, Cantonese (not that fluently), Sichuanese, and Fujianese.

I can speak English and Tagalish(a mix of tagalog( filipino main language(i think) and English) and a little bit on Spanish(but has the dialect of it).I will take French next school year, even if I don't know any word in French...

I was born in Kyoto, Japan, live in Osaka/Miyazaki.

Japanese, English.

Easy Spanish like Espanol, La Casa, Beso, Uno to Deiz, Greeting in Spanish.

Plaza Sesamo. (I learn from Sesame St, Plaza Sesamo, Dora the Explorer, Go, Sandiego.)

I also learn Ticero Neueve from Channel 47 News.

Only hello like Guten Tag, Bonjour, Jumbo (Swahili), Nee-haw, Onyon (Korean hello), Thank you like Shi-Shi, Merci. Excuse me that I only know is french, excuse moi.