Best Time For R32-R42 (A)(E)(F)(R) trains Hunting?

I wish but I can only stay in Manhattan if I'm going to go hunting for those

R42s run frequently on the (E) than the (F) or (R). My best opinion is to go West Fourth Street. There you can run up and down the stairs to see where the R42s will stop next, (E) or (F)! Plenty of exercise, my friend....

Queens Plaza today ( If you were allowed to go to Queens) Manhattan-Bound (F)s running via the (E) between Roosevelt Av and 42 St/8 Av.

I'm busy this weekend and don't have time so here's my idea. I'll take an (-_- train to 7th-53rd Street for the (E) and take the (D) to W 34th Street and get it on the (F)(R) lines. As for the slants on the (A) if I'm lucky at W 59th Street I'll take it to W 125th Street and head home after.

So what did you guys think

R42s run frequently on the (E) than the (F) or (R). My best opinion is to go West Fourth Street. There you can run up and down the stairs to see where the R42s will stop next, (E) or (F)! Plenty of exercise, my friend....

Being a daily rider on the (F), I have to disagree.

On Thursday and Friday, the R42s were really out on the (F), I saw them everywhere along the line. Just at Jay yesterday, I caught a couple of them. I caught two in 5 minutes at Broadway Lafayette on Thursday.

Weekend The (F), There are 2 R32's and 6 R40M/42 mixes and one solid R42 set on the (F), If hte (R) goes to 179th st then take the (R), You will get an R40M/42 quick and also an R32.

During the week, The (A) R32's run all day even if its one its one set they always run R32's on the (A) even on the weekends, But during the week its better.

The (F) is the best choice Because they ether run an R32 or r40M/42 all day.

The (R), You can Cacth an R32 or r40M/42 at 71st ave at around 2:55pm, Its a put-in, But if its an r46 deadhead to 36th st (take The (E) if comes 1st to 7th ave then to the (D) to 36th st Fastest way or take the (F) to 47-50th st then take the (D) to 36thst) get there before 3:50, There is a 4:00 Put in also 4:19 then 4:40, If an r46 pops up at 4:00 wait, At 4:19 an r32or 40M/42 comes and picks up passengers at 36th st.

The (C) is always r32's so you can always cacth an R32 on the (C).

The (E), Its 50/50 on the R32's, They have been running 1-2 r32 sets all day for the past 2 weeks, as for r40M/42's very easy to get one but those chances are getting harder since the R160's are coming in.

I wish but I can only stay in Manhattan if I'm going to go hunting for those

That really sucks. Overall, Manhattan sucks for railfanning. 95% of the good stuff is in Queens and Brooklyn. The (F) has the Culver line and the (A) has the Fulton/Rockaways. The (R) has lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn especially. The (E) isn't that great in Manhattan but amazing in Queens.

Weekend The (F), There are 2 R32's and 6 R40M/42 mixes and one solid R42 set on the (F), If hte (R) goes to 179th st then take the (R), You will get an R40M/42 quick and also an R32.

During the week, The (A) R32's run all day even if its one its one set they always run R32's on the (A) even on the weekends, But during the week its better.

The (F) is the best choice Because they ether run an R32 or r40M/42 all day.

The (R), You can Cacth an R32 or r40M/42 at 71st ave at around 2:55pm, Its a put-in, But if its an r46 deadhead to 36th st (take The (E) if comes 1st to 7th ave then to the (D) to 36th st Fastest way or take the (F) to 47-50th st then take the (D) to 36thst) get there before 3:50, There is a 4:00 Put in also 4:19 then 4:40, If an r46 pops up at 4:00 wait, At 4:19 an r32or 40M/42 comes and picks up passengers at 36th st.

The (E), Its 50/50 on the R32's, They have been running 1-2 r32 sets all day for the past 2 weeks, as for r40M/42's very easy to get one but those chances are getting harder since the R160's are coming in.

Thanks for this post, very useful for knowing put-in information. Though if you miss the 2:55 put-in at Forest Hills, wouldn't it be faster to get to 36th St. by taking the (E) to 23rd-Ely, the (G) to Smith, the (F) to 4th and the (R) to 36th St.?

That really sucks. Overall, Manhattan sucks for railfanning. 95% of the good stuff is in Queens and Brooklyn. The (F) has the Culver line and the (A) has the Fulton/Rockaways. The (R) has lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn especially. The (E) isn't that great in Manhattan but amazing in Queens.

Thanks for this post, very useful for knowing put-in information. Though if you miss the 2:55 put-in at Forest Hills, wouldn't it be faster to get to 36th St. by taking the (E) to 23rd-Ely, the (G) to Smith, the (F) to 4th and the (R) to 36th St.?

No Prob, I have been taking the Afternoon (R) Put-ins for over 4 and Half years

Not realy, Because you have to wait for the (G) train to depart Court sq, I always make it just in time for the 4:00 Put-in when I take the (F) to the (D), But the (E) to the (D) is much faster, But whatever comes 1st I take to cacth the (D), Also Sometimes the 2:55 is late and it comes around 2:57, This happend to me alot but now they bring it out around 2:53 and leaves at 2:55. The 2:55 I wait for, I don't miss it, If its an R46 then I ether be lazy and go home or deadhead to 36th st.

ALSO, They have put-ins at Canal st (R) Between 5:00pm and 5:15 I think its around 5:15-5:20pm the put in comes out from the Express Tracks and they put it right in front of the Train I took from the 2:55 trip, The 2:55 out of 71st, When It gets to 95, It leaves 95th at 4:33pm, The 4:00 does another round trip and Also the 4:19 one, The one that left 36th st at 4:00 when it gets to contenental they mostly relay the train and its a 5:15 out of 71st ave.

Just keep in mind the equipment doesn't have a set Schedule. Last weekend the (E) only ran one R42 as a gap train the line was mostly 99.9% R160. I seen lots of R42's on the (F) all week. The (R) is a hit and miss. Sometimes its all R46 then other times you get a few R42's.

Just keep in mind the equipment doesn't have a set Schedule. Last weekend the (E) only ran one R42 as a gap train the line was mostly 99.9% R160. I seen lots of R42's on the (F) all week. The (R) is a hit and miss. Sometimes its all R46 then other times you get a few R42's.

I've been rather lucky getting the R42s on the (R). I've gotten it 3 times in the past few weeks. Seems like someone in Queens is looking out for me. :cool:

I Know, But most of the R32's are scatterd, One week they are on the (F) the Next week one on the (E) and One on the (F) and a 2 on the (R) or Just The (F) and (R).

In Queens trains can run on any line just a few Rules JYD and Supervision has to follow (E) R 32/40/42/160 (F) ANY (G) R 46 (R) R32/40/42/46 (V) R46

True, I wish They can Run Some R32 or R42 sets on the (V), It would be nice if they did that.

They not going to do it because they want riders to use the (V) so thats why they want R46's. Now that we have R160's I am suprised they didn't put them on the (V) if there goal is to make it attractive for more riders.

Maybe the V line is not important enough to have it...unlike the E line where people been complain about older train running on the line and the V have the R-46 which it's not that old.

Maybe the V line is not important enough to have it...unlike the E line where people been complain about older train running on the line and the V have the R-46 which it's not that old.

True, I always knew that The MTA wanted the (V) to be all R46 so people would ride it but the (V) is a very short line and to Put R46's On the (V) instead of keeping them mostly on the (F) without any R42 Crap, I don't Mind The R32's on the (F), I rater The (V) use the oldest equipment because its a very short line that people hardly ride exept manhattan, But I wouldin't Put R42's on that line, I would Love to see R42's on the (V) but from a Passenger's veiw it would be a Screw you, I already Hate the Fact that they are on The (E)/(F), They look like Crap and they need to go ASAP!!!, The R32's are in Better shape it just the (E) riders don't like them, By the way there were 2 sets of R32's on the (E) today, I took one Home.

...was gonna say, unless things have changed, (which I find they are rapidly) the (C) has been R32 solid for a while.

This is why I say change is coming rapidly, I don't ride the (E) for a month or so last year, and I see that their R32s have been moved and replaced with R40M/42 sets. I'm not sure if these are in better technical shape than the R32s, but it seemed like the R32s are the better railcar. I really hope they don't totally phase those out, they're the last cars retaining that real O.G. subway look, haha.

Last time I went on the (E) I did end up riding on a R160. Very strange, it's like they don't belong out there.

R46s are no spring chickens, been in service for 31-34 years now.

Per the E, the MTA had it that it ran the R32s while the rest of the QB lines ran the R46s. So, some E passengers got sick of it, especially when other lines were introducing the R160s a few years ago. The R160s didn't have the station dwell problems of the R46s so the E was overdue to get them.

Overall, I don't think the E passengers would have complained as much had the E ran an R46/R32 mix and the other lines as well. There was a perception that the E had the highest ridership, yet the perceived crappiest trains, and some of the large passenger base using the Archer Av. terminal perceived it as discrimination (I don't agree with that).

Now, it's up to the passengers to show respect to public property and not abuse the new equipment they've been requesting for years. Sadly, some aren't, and the E is a line that attracts many homeless people.

True, I always knew that The MTA wanted the (V) to be all R46 so people would ride it but the (V) is a very short line and to Put R46's On the (V) instead of keeping them mostly on the (F) without any R42 Crap, I don't Mind The R32's on the (F), I rater The (V) use the oldest equipment because its a very short line that people hardly ride exept manhattan, But I wouldin't Put R42's on that line, I would Love to see R42's on the (V) but from a Passenger's veiw it would be a Screw you, I already Hate the Fact that they are on The (E)/(F), They look like Crap and they need to go ASAP!!!, The R32's are in Better shape it just the (E) riders don't like them, By the way there were 2 sets of R32's on the (E) today, I took one Home.

yeah,it wouldn't be a big deal if they do put older trains on V line.

Archived