Double-decker subway trains???

LRG

Anyone ever thought of the possibility of bi-level subway trains, similar to those seen on the LIRR? It's amazing that the LIRR has them but now the NYCS. Any thoughts on this?

It wont work here in the NYC Subway system as the tunnel ceiling is too low for that type of car. Even if it worked on EL stations all trains heads into tunnels of course. Even SIR south of St. George.

Low-floors? The LIRR's car heights are roughly the same as a NYCS car (by like a half a foot). The bottom floor on those bi-leveled cars are as low as the rails.

I'll have to interpret it, but I've never seen the inside of the bi-leveled cars, although I've seen the bodies itself.

Here's a link to the inside of a C3 (just found out that they're called that): http://media.photobucket.com/image/LIRR%20C3%20interior/R384149/InteriorofC-3500204-24-2005.jpg

I see that there's a mid-level approach, and one can either go to the high floor or the low floor. (I'll come up with some more ideas and thoughts). But I think the MTA can pull something like that off if they wanted to; it could ease train crowding and increase capacity.

(K)<R>This idea is not a bad (1)but like those double decker buses we got it's not gonna work out .I would like to see faster trains though.

The double-decker buses will only work on some routes, like those that aren't protruded by low-bridges. I'm going to come up with a concept that will wow everyone: a double-decker train. And it'll be a Slant (R40 tribute)!

Here's one of my interior pictures from a C3 bi-level:

P1110909.jpg

Their ceilings are low enough, and of course you also have the stairs to climb. Just because of those stairs a bi-level subway car in the city would be dangerous, I'm not sure how you expect people to climb then in the rush of getting on or off. Also, like 33rd Street said longer dwelling times in stations which extends straphangers' commute times! If you can come up with something that overcomes all this, I'll be amazed! :cool:

P1110909.jpg

Their ceilings are low enough, and of course you also have the stairs to climb. Just because of those stairs a bi-level subway car in the city would be dangerous, I'm not sure how you expect people to climb then in the rush of getting on or off. Also, like 33rd Street said longer dwelling times in stations which extends straphangers' commute times! If you can come up with something that overcomes all this, I'll be amazed! :cool:

A few statistics:

C3s, in addition to other LIRR cars, are 10.5' wide; IRT cars are 8.75' wide, and BMT/IND cars are 9.75' wide. I know I'll be facing some challenges designing such a car, but I see some advantages it'll bring to the subway, such as increased passenger capacity, mostly seating, but standing to an extent. Imagine the wonders it'll do to ease congestion on Lexington Avenue!

I'll just say that, judging from the interior of a C3, my conception is not going to look anything like the interior of the C3. I'll work on something, and post it up, but I'll be totally different. And the aisles are going to be wider than the C3s too!

and how would the trains get power? Remember, those trains are pulled by a diesel engine. The seats go down into the area that in subway trains houses the equipment for the trains to run. Running diesels in underground tunnels is not a good idea.

and how would the trains get power? Remember, those trains are pulled by a diesel engine. The seats go down into the area that in subway trains houses the equipment for the trains to run. Running diesels in underground tunnels is not a good idea.

Wow, I did not think of that. I'll come up with something, too bad I'm not an electrician, everything will have to be rearranged.... Dang it, this is going to be harder than I thought!...

Not to screw up your plans, but I don't think combining all these options in a subway car is possible. Especially the dimensions, if you would be realistic and put your trains in service in those kinds of tunnels we have in the subway system now.

Note that some parts of the LIRR can't even handle the C3s. The 63rd Street Tunnel as well as the Atlantic Ave. Tunnel are not tall enough. Hell, recently a work train knocked off a good amount of lights under Atlantic Ave.

Ofcourse that wont work in NYC. We all discuss the height restriction wont work and that is true but if the height wasnt a problem you have to consider other things. Number 1 the system is too damn big and there are too many trains following behind each other. Someone said to much dwell because people trying to get off which will have trains stacked. Subway are made to get in and out. Commuter rail have that dwell time built in the schedule. Subway dont really run by a schedule.

P1110909.jpg

You do realize you want some of us to play hookie today and take a trip to boston on this sweet (C)(3).

Of course that wont work in NYC. We all discuss the height restriction wont work and that is true but if the height wasnt a problem you have to consider other things. Number 1 the system is too damn big and there are too many trains following behind each other. Someone said to much dwell because people trying to get off which will have trains stacked. Subway are made to get in and out. Commuter rail have that dwell time built in the schedule. Subway dont really run by a schedule.

Exactly! Bi-level or multi-level cars on a rapid transit system is not practical especially in a system like New York's. It doesn't make any sense. Size, weight, speed and much more are all factors.

Yeah, I'm starting to have second thoughts on this. Maybe the subway can't handle bi-level trains. And looking at a picture of a C3 compared to a normal LIRR train, the C3 is kinda taller. I'll still take stab but I really wouldn't care if the MTA didn't incorporate such a design in one of their future trains.

And subways don't really have that dwell time like commuter rails do. A subway train requires people to get in and out as fast as possible, staying in the station for at LEAST 30 seconds. So I'll have to remember this as well. It's worty a try, but you guys are right, it won't be easy (and I'll emphasize that won't...WON'T).

Here's my main concept: the train is double-leveled, but don't directly sit on top of each other (I know that would never work).

Split the car in three sections (from left to right), and let's start at the top. In the middle would be a 6.5' high aisle that's about 2.5 or 3 feet wide. Adjacent to the ends would be the seats that will be raised higher than the aisle because 1: people are shorter when they are seated and 2: this makes it possible to have two aisles right under it, and under the top aisle would be the seats. I'll draw a diagram to show you what I mean, but if you ask me, this could be best pulled off, especially on the BMT lines. :P

Archived