Soooooo....How was the T/O test??

NASCAR

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ugh...

Why are career threads regarding these exams and their respective lists, which no one is going to see at anytime soon, much less be appointed from, constantly revived just to see if anyone has heard anything and to remind everyone that we all took the exam so long ago but we still don't have the results. I'm sure if anyone got their official score and list number for #8098, that person would post a thread that would have at least 500 views and 150 replies within the first two hours.

If it was a routine occurrence for DCAS to take two years to grade exams and establish lists, this thread would have like 50 replies rather than the 723 that it does with this one. I'm glad that I don't know my score or list number or how many names are on the promotional list, and no one around here really knows for sure either. Still, people are constantly wondering what number was the last to be called from the C/R promotional, when the next school car class will be, how many people will be called, when is the next one after that, how many are scheduled for 2011, when this stagnant hiring will let up, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Quite frankly, I'm beginning to think that some of the members are more concerned with the economy rebounding so that service cuts are avoided, active hiring will be required and list numbers will be reached sooner, more often and more of them per pick, than because they need a job and have bills to pay and one or more family members are currently unemployed and this country is going to hell. Hey... whatever. I really hope that no one here has avoided taking on a job in the meantime or has already put two weeks' notice in. Two YEARS' notice would be enough time to do another 4160 hours and still take a long, long vacation before setting up a chair and a TV next to the mailbox and phone.

Personally, my day passes a whole lot faster when I'm not checking my watch after every song on the radio.

I think its perfectly reasonable for people to wanna know whats going on with the results for the tests they took. Especially after the long period of anticipation of what this test was going to be like and I'm pretty sure everybody who took it (or close to it) gave the test everything they had. Sure maybe you're one of the ones able to place in the back of your mind and cross the bridge when ya get to it but others aren't. So far the people who have brought it back up haven't shown a real obsession over it so its pretty harmless. I wanna know my score too regardless of how far back I place it in my mind. Fact remains is I want a definite answer and so do the rest of these guys.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; BREW 3.1.5; en )/800x480 Samsung SCH-U960)

Yeah but with me, im one of the extremely few people who's score can be 100 after they look at our protests. so either im stuck at 96 meaning i might never get called, get 100 meaning i get called as the promotional is done, or somewhere in between! everyone knows where they stand, iust wanna know my god damn score!

I thanked you for your enthusiasm. It's refreshing, since some people have been complaining about the long time we've waited, which seems to only increase the downbeat attitude around the way.

A perfect score doesn't necessarily mean a call either though. Depending on how many people on the O.C. list scored that or better, and how your SSN came into play, and especially if the economy is still shit, that list might be hit for hiring purposes, but the list is only valid for four years from the date of establishment or until it's been exhausted. And unless a hiring freeze is officially announced, which would in turn freeze the list as well, a small number of people may be appointed during the four years, and people would have to retest. As it is, I'm sure a LOT of people from the 2003 exam retested for #8098. And it seems as if you're putting some of your faith on those protests, which DCAS doesn't always honor. Personally, I feel that since NYS Bill #06495 a.k.a. "The City of Long Beach Decision" became law, DCAS has been in a mad scramble to offer as many exams as possible to scrap most of the provisionals and limit non-internal appointments to any of the City departments and agencies. With that in mind, look for a lot of poorly-administered and flawed exams and overwhelmed HR departments across the board.

I think its perfectly reasonable for people to wanna know whats going on with the results for the tests they took. Especially after the long period of anticipation of what this test was going to be like and I'm pretty sure everybody who took it (or close to it) gave the test everything they had. Sure maybe you're one of the ones able to place in the back of your mind and cross the bridge when ya get to it but others aren't. So far the people who have brought it back up haven't shown a real obsession over it so its pretty harmless. I wanna know my score too regardless of how far back I place it in my mind. Fact remains is I want a definite answer and so do the rest of these guys.

Wouldn't you rather know your list number? Some people would have been very happy getting 90% on an exam back in high school. 90% on an exam with a massive promotional list and an open-competitive list possibly in excess of 20,000 names isn't all that helpful. I understand that you'd like to know how well you did, but you won't know which questions that you gave the wrong answer to and you won't know how many others did better than you did until the list is published and ultimately established. I think the score is a tease and that a fair number of applicants will be surprised, either pleasantly or negatively, when the list comes out.

Ugh...

Why are career threads regarding these exams and their respective lists, which no one is going to see at anytime soon, much less be appointed from, constantly revived just to see if anyone has heard anything and to remind everyone that we all took the exam so long ago but we still don't have the results. I'm sure if anyone got their official score and list number for #8098, that person would post a thread that would have at least 500 views and 150 replies within the first two hours.

If it was a routine occurrence for DCAS to take two years to grade exams and establish lists, this thread would have like 50 replies rather than the 723 that it does with this one. I'm glad that I don't know my score or list number or how many names are on the promotional list, and no one around here really knows for sure either. Still, people are constantly wondering what number was the last to be called from the C/R promotional, when the next school car class will be, how many people will be called, when is the next one after that, how many are scheduled for 2011, when this stagnant hiring will let up, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Quite frankly, I'm beginning to think that some of the members are more concerned with the economy rebounding so that service cuts are avoided, active hiring will be required and list numbers will be reached sooner, more often and more of them per pick, than because they need a job and have bills to pay and one or more family members are currently unemployed and this country is going to hell. Hey... whatever. I really hope that no one here has avoided taking on a job in the meantime or has already put two weeks' notice in. Two YEARS' notice would be enough time to do another 4160 hours and still take a long, long vacation before setting up a chair and a TV next to the mailbox and phone.

Personally, my day passes a whole lot faster when I'm not checking my watch after every song on the radio.

someone with common sense. it sickens me to read how thirsty people are for a job that may never come.

I thanked you for your enthusiasm. It's refreshing, since some people have been complaining about the long time we've waited, which seems to only increase the downbeat attitude around the way.

A perfect score doesn't necessarily mean a call either though. Depending on how many people on the O.C. list scored that or better, and how your SSN came into play, and especially if the economy is still shit, that list might be hit for hiring purposes, but the list is only valid for four years from the date of establishment or until it's been exhausted. And unless a hiring freeze is officially announced, which would in turn freeze the list as well, a small number of people may be appointed during the four years, and people would have to retest. As it is, I'm sure a LOT of people from the 2003 exam retested for #8098. And it seems as if you're putting some of your faith on those protests, which DCAS doesn't always honor. Personally, I feel that since NYS Bill #06495 a.k.a. "The City of Long Beach Decision" became law, DCAS has been in a mad scramble to offer as many exams as possible to scrap most of the provisionals and limit non-internal appointments to any of the City departments and agencies. With that in mind, look for a lot of poorly-administered and flawed exams and overwhelmed HR departments across the board.

Wouldn't you rather know your list number? Some people would have been very happy getting 90% on an exam back in high school. 90% on an exam with a massive promotional list and an open-competitive list possibly in excess of 20,000 names isn't all that helpful. I understand that you'd like to know how well you did, but you won't know which questions that you gave the wrong answer to and you won't know how many others did better than you did until the list is published and ultimately established. I think the score is a tease and that a fair number of applicants will be surprised, either pleasantly or negatively, when the list comes out.

Well for me this was my first civil service exam. That's pretty much why I want to know my score. Knowing how well I did will give me something to shoot for the next time I take one. Don't get me wrong. The list number is just as important, but I plan to be working some kind of job within the next few years regardless of what it is. So I'm not sitting here waiting for the job to come through for me.

Wouldn't you rather know your list number?

well thats another thing. once they finally grade the exam, they also give a list number. i dont care if they hire 0 people from the list, i did pay $60 to take the test. they least they could do is grade the damn thing

honestly i hope they dont call anyone until the old list expires in October. let some positions get unfilled for a few months, then once they start calling again everyone who took the test in 2009 will esentially "move up". yeah i know it'll be a promotional list but it's still moving toward getting to us. using the list from 2003 doesnt help us at all!

the (MTA) is in the news every day for money woes. i dont think too many people are going to accept a job (from the OC list) that they think they're going to get laid off from. 1 in 3? ha! it'll probably be 1 in 20 with all the ppl too scared to take this job. only WE know that the train operator position is relatively safe. all they see is subway cuts and make their own assumptions. the average Joe has no idea. no offense to anyone named Joe by the way

Lex

They are not going to hire to's or cr's until maybe next year the earliest.

As far as the new to list they will probaly get up to people in the top

700 at most because the promotional list will be about

1000 names long. Also no offense but some transit workers are terrible financial planners therefore

Less people are retiring due to the economy.

Well for me this was my first civil service exam. That's pretty much why I want to know my score. Knowing how well I did will give me something to shoot for the next time I take one. Don't get me wrong. The list number is just as important, but I plan to be working some kind of job within the next few years regardless of what it is. So I'm not sitting here waiting for the job to come through for me.

You really won't know how WELL you did. You'll just know how many wrong and how many right using simple arithmetic, and even the math on the exams was more involving than that. Perhaps a more exact way to convey your thought is "how MUCH I did." To know how well you did, you'll need to know on which questions, if any, you answered incorrectly. With that in mind, if you end up needing to retest down the line, you'll know what you can simply review and possibly even skip over during studying, and you'll also know what areas you'll need brushing up on. The answer keys and sheets are designed so that no information of value may find its way into the hands of someone who isn't prepared to even take an exam in the first place and would otherwise have to either copy or memorize entire questions and all possible responses. And applicants who possess the ability to commit entire questions, answers and sections of the exam straight to memory from a source such as the Passbook or a previous test should have easily scored 100% or better.

well thats another thing. once they finally grade the exam, they also give a list number. i dont care if they hire 0 people from the list, i did pay $60 to take the test. they least they could do is grade the damn thing

Haven't you heard? The City doesn't have to do shit for anyone, regardless as to whether it's a current employee or a block-hocking constituent, especially when meetings are held behind closed doors. :)

That's a joke, for those of you who are still waiting for your scores from the open competitive Comedian exam. :)

Lex

They are not going to hire to's or cr's until maybe next year the earliest.

As far as the new to list they will probaly get up to people in the top

700 at most because the promotional list will be about

1000 names long. Also no offense but some transit workers are terrible financial planners therefore

Less people are retiring due to the economy.

october, next year... same sh*t. i just dont want them filling the few spots with people that dont even remember they took the test in 2003 (i was still in high school and weighed 50 lbs less back then!). you think it'll be about 700 people? that might be a good estimate. they passed 2000 last time though. we'll find out eventually

i dont understand what you are all talking about wanting to know scores. If you had half a brain you would have written down your answers on the piece of paper they gave you when you took the test and you would have checked that against the answer keys that are already published online at the DCAS site.

I got 1 wrong. so im good.... even if there was a protest question or two TOPS that were approved by DCAS or whoever.. If you are counting on that to get you higher on the list you prob wont get called back anyway..better luck next time.

Only a handful of guys on this forum will get called for to. Subway guy, phrasiercrane, messino, rutgerstube, medic they all scored really high. They are the smartest on here

LOL thats a funny statement. Rephraise that last sentence.

Only a handful of guys on this forum will get called for to. Subway guy, phrasiercrane, messino, rutgerstube, medic they all scored really high. They are the smartest on here

Thanks for the compliment but it really doesnt take intelligence to pass these tests. Its just good memory/ reading comprehension...

Thanks for the compliment but it really doesnt take intelligence to pass these tests. Its just good memory/ reading comprehension...

I've always felt that reading comprehension is intelligence! IMO.

trust me, nobody's taking this job once they find out you have to give up your old job in this economy. the list will go farther than all of you think it will

trust me, nobody's taking this job once they find out you have to give up your old job in this economy. the list will go farther than all of you think it will

You keep thinking that, You just want less and less people on that waiting list. I know the game but theres alot of hungry mutherfukers out there waiting for this chance including me.

EXACTLY! its still true that people wont be willing to give up their jobs though B)

See I got an advantage because all I have to do is tell my boss whats up and I need time and if things don't go accordingly I always have a job to go back to. And when you here that from a superior it makes you feel good.

the post office is in a years long hiring freeze so once i leave, there's no coming back. they say we have a third more employees than we need with such low mail volume due to the internet plus the recession. they cant lay us off cuz of our no-layoff clause

a lot of the people who score 100's and 99's have higher paying jobs already

Im one.. I already make somewhere between starting salary of a T/O and Dispatcher.. I dont plan on staying T/O for the whole 25 years though and with overtime I would definately make more than I do now. But at the same time I wont get a pension doing the job I do now and have to fund my own retirement account..

Archived