Subway - What If?

VWM

Due to structural issues, the top level of the 7th Avenue (B)(D)(E) station collapsed onto the bottom one resulting in the entire station and tracks to be closed off while reconstruction was taking place. This means that no trains can pass through this area. How would you reroute the trains?

(:) trains run from Newkirk Avenue to Brighton Beach

For Prospect Park, 7 Avenue and DeKalb Avenue, take the (Q) train.

For Atlantic Avenue, Grand Street, Broadway-Laffayette and West 4 Street, take the (D) train.

For 34 Street, 42 Street and 47-50 Streets, take the (E), (F) or (M) trains.

For 7 Avenue-53 Street, go to 47-50 Streets and walk.

(D) trains run via the (A) from West 4 Street to 59 Street.

For 34 Street, 42 Street and 47-50 Streets take the (E), (F) or (M) trains.

(E) trains run via the (M) from West 4 Street to 5 Avenue-53 Street

For 14 Street, 23 Street, 34 Street, 42 Street and 50 Street, take the (C) train.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Due to a freak earthquake all the subway river crossings have been destroyed or severely damaged except for the Manhattan (:P(D)(N)(Q), Williamsburg (J)(M)(Z), and broadway (1) bridges. what service changes would you make? :confused:

I'll give it a try.

1 - No changes

2 - Suspended in Manhattan, operates in two sections: 149th St to 241st St in the Bronx, and Nevins St to Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn

3 - Operates in two sections: 148th St to Chambers St in Manhattan, and Nevins St to New Lots Ave in Brooklyn

4 - Suspended in Manhattan and Brooklyn, operates only between 149th St and Woodlawn in the Bronx.

5 - Suspended in Manhattan and Brooklyn, operates as a shuttle between E 180th St and Dyre Ave in the Bronx

6 - Operates in two sections: 3rd Ave to Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx, and 125th St extended down to Bowling Green in Manhattan

7 - Suspended in Manhattan, operates between Hunters Point Ave and Flushing in Queens

S - 42nd St Shuttle runs 24/7

A - Operates in two sections: 207th St to Chambers St, local, in Manhattan, and Borough Hall to Lefferts Blvd or the Rockaways, local, in Queens

B - Suspended

C - Suspended

D - Operates in two sections: Yankee Stadium to 205th St in the Bronx, 145th St to Coney Island, local in Manhattan

E - Suspended in Manhattan, operates between 23rd St/Ely Ave to Jamaica Center, local, in Queens

F - Suspended in Manhattan. operates in two sections: Between 21st St Queensbridge and Jamaica in Queens, and between York St and Coney Island in Brooklyn

G - No changes

J - No changes

L - Suspended in Manhattan, operates between Bedford Ave and Rockaway Parkway in Brooklyn

M - Suspended in Queens, operates between 57th St and Metropolitan Ave

N - Operates in two sections: Queensboro Plaza to Astoria in Queens, and 59th St/Lexington Ave to Coney Island

Q - Suspended in Queens, operates between 57th St/7th Ave and Coney Island

R - Suspended in Queens, operates in two sections: 59th St/Lexington Ave to Whitehall St in Manhattan, and Court St to Bay Ridge in Brooklyn

S - Franklin Ave Shuttle no changes

S - Rockaway Shuttle no changes

Z - No changes

Shuttle buses will provide service to stations that can't receive subway service. In addition, there will be four shuttle buses between boroughs free of charge:

1. 125th/Lex (6), 135th/Lenox (3) <-> 149th St/Grand Concourse (2)(4), 138th St/Concourse (no trains here), 138th St/3rd Ave (6)

2. 155th St (D) <-> Yankee Stadium (4)(D)

3. 63rd/Lex (no trains here), 59th/Lex (6)(N)(R) <-> Queensboro Plaza (7)(N), Queens Plaza (E)

4. South Ferry <-> Borough Hall (no trains here), Jay St (A)(F), Hoyt St (no trains here), Nevins St (2)(3)

The 63 St, 60, and 53 St Connectors have been destroyed and flooded by a tsunami.

The only station open are as follows.

57 st F

5 Av E/M

5 Av N/Q/R

Queens Plaza (E)(M)(R) and QBL line

What would you do?

(:P(D): Trains run local.

(E): No trains between Queens Plaza & World Trade Center.

(F): Trains run in 2 sections.

1. Between Jamaica-179th St & Queens Plaza.

2. Between 57th St-6th Av & Coney Island.

(G): Extend on (E) to Jamaica Center.

(M): All trains rerouted over to Chambers St (J). No service to Queens.

(N): Trains run in 2 sections.

1. Between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd & Queensboro Plaza.

2. Between 57th St-7th Av & Coney Island.

(Q): Service terminate at 57th St.

(R): Trains run as follows with no service in Queens.

1. Between Bay Ridge-95th St & Whitehall St.

2. Between Bay Ridge-95th St & 5th Av/53rd St via (B)(M) line. Trains arrived on Brooklyn-bound platform at 42nd St-Bryant Park, 47th-50th Sts and 5th Av-53rd Sts. Heavey delay.

There will be delay on (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(Z) trains during this time.

Shuttle Buses will serve Roosevelt Island Tramway, Roosevelt Island Subway, 21st St-Queensbridge, Queensboro Plaza, Queensboro Plaza, Court Sq, Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av, Grand Central, 47th-50th Sts, 57th St-6th Av, Lexington Av-63rd St, Lexington Av-59th St, 59th St-2nd Av, and serves Queensboro/Queens Plaza, then 21st St-Queensbridge and Roosevelt Island Subway/Tram Station.

Edited by FamousNYLover
Fix

Due to a freak earthquake all the subway river crossings have been destroyed or severely damaged except for the Manhattan (:P(D)(N)(Q), Williamsburg (J)(M)(Z), and broadway (1) bridges. what service changes would you make? :confused:

What about the South channel bridge.Did that survive?

(2)(3) run from Thier northern termini to Rector St, Manhattan. (turns via SF loop) (2) trains run fron either dyre av or Wakefield.

I think a better method would be to have (2) trains end at Rector, and send the (3) to Wall Street. There are switches south of the station to handle turn backs.

Everything else? I give up. I agree with the poster before me--come back to reality.

Also--all this bomb/terrorist talk is getting a little :P. Natural stuff like cracks, hurricanes and stuff are okay--tsunamis seem a bit out there.

---

Anyway, let's give this one a shot:

96 St/Broadway switches are out of service for major overhaul, which doesn't allow the (2)(3) to run up the Lenox line to the Bronx.

NEW RULE: you can put limitations on your "challenges"

The 125 St Fault line slips, Severing (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)<6>(A)(;)(C)(D)(Q)(T) service. There are no switches North of 116 St to turn (Q) and (T) trains.

--

The Lower Manhattan (R) tunnels are flooded by a water main. The Montague St Tunnel is ok. The South side of the manhattan Bridge is under construction, and you need to re-route the (R) and also provide a shuttle bus for either the (N) or (Q), and no combining. Good Luck!

1) Due to a water main break both levels of the 149th Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)<4>(5)<5>.

2) A put in (5) train derails while Passing through the Inner South Ferry Loop

3) The grade junction north of 135th street (2)(3) malfunctions meaning trains cant pass in both directions from both lines

4) Construction on the (7)<7> extension to 34th street has finally made progress but requires the closing of 42nd street terminal

How Would You Change Service? :confused:

1) Due to a water main break both levels of the 149th Street-Grand Concourse (2)(4)<4>(5)<5>.

3) The grade junction north of 135th street (2)(3) malfunctions meaning trains cant pass in both directions from both lines

4) Construction on the (7)<7> extension to 34th street has finally made progress but requires the closing of 42nd street terminal

Well, I'll assume these happen the same day and time.

1) A) If the water is just limited to that station:

i) (2) trains run in two sections:

a) Between Wakefield - 241st Street and 3 Avenue - 149th Street.

;) Between 96th Street and Flatbush Avenue. (Junction problems north of 135th Street).

ii) (4) trains run in two sections:

a) Between Woodlawn and 167th Street (trains heading to Woodlawn run on the express track, skipping 170th Street, Mt. Eden Avenue, and 176th Street, and returning to the local track after Burnside Avenue).

:( Between 125th Street and Utica Avenue. Very limited service to 138th Street.

iii) (5) trains run only between 180th Street and Dyre Avenue. Manhattan and Brooklyn service suspended.

B) If the water affects nearby tunnels:

i) (2) service run in suspended in the Bronx below 180th Street. Manhattan and Brooklyn service same as above.

ii) (5) service same as above.

iii) (4) service same as above with no service to the Bronx.

2) (5) service same as above because of the problem above.

3) (2) service same as above because of the problem above. (3) service runs between 110th Street and New Lots Avenue.

4) (7) trains run between Flushing - Main Street and Grand Central.

Edited by GojiMet86

The 125 St Fault line slips, Severing (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)<6>(A)(;)(C)(D)(Q)(T) service. There are no switches North of 116 St to turn (Q) and (T) trains.

--

The Lower Manhattan (R) tunnels are flooded by a water main. The Montague St Tunnel is ok. The South side of the manhattan Bridge is under construction, and you need to re-route the (R) and also provide a shuttle bus for either the (N) or (Q), and no combining. Good Luck!

Send the (R) down 6th avenue.Assuming that side is open.Not sure about the (N) and (Q).I'll edit this post if I come up with something.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding this one. Basically, the south (Broadway) side of the Manhattan bridge is closed, and the Montague tunnels are open but useless.

Essentially, all service to/from Brooklyn has to run via the 6th Ave side of the Manhattan bridge, with maybe one train "shuttling" via the Montague tunnels to Whitehall Street if that station was okay.

The (R) wouldn't be the one to be rerouted, because the MTA always shafts the R, with good reason. (It's a local, and it's Brooklyn section is only 3 independent stops, which pales in comparison to the N and Q.)

Even if you're a big fan of the R, there's still no reason to run shuttle buses for the N or Q -- the only shuttle bus you'd have to run is for the closed lower Manhattan station, and even then you could just have riders use the (4)(5)(6) instead.

So here's what I would do assuming the following things:

• I have to run a full-length (R).

• The south side of the Manny B is closed.

• Lower Manhattan is closed, but I can turn trains southbound at City Hall and northbound at Whitehall Street.

(;) suspended.

(M) rerouted to Chambers or Broad (no Midtown/QBL service).

(N) trains run in two sections, Astoria to City Hall via Broadway local, and Whitehall Street to Coney Island via 4th Avenue local.

(Q) runs from 71st/Forest Hills to Coney Island via QBL local, 63rd Street, 6th Ave express, Brighton local.

(R) runs from 71st/Forest Hills to Bay Ridge via QBL local, 53rd Street, 6th Ave local, 4th Avenue local.

I don't get one thing, why everyone is fantasizing about negative aspects of "what if?"

As only bad things can happen? How about some positive mental attitude?!

And some of the "what ifs" don't even make sense...

What if The MTA all of a sudden got a big grant from Albany to rebuild Rogers junction? It would require the entire area for a time to be closed down.What would you do?

What if The MTA all of a sudden got a big grant from Albany to rebuild Rogers junction? It would require the entire area for a time to be closed down.What would you do?

(1) Trains run to 42 St- TSQ

(2) Trains run to Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn

(3) trains run to south ferry and are local from 34 St to SF

(4) Trains Run to Atlantic av, Brooklyn

(5) Trains run to Bowling Green Full Time.

To compensate for Lost Downtown (1) Service, (9) Trains are running from 137 St to Rector St at this time.

Please expect delays on the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5) and (9) trains at this time.

Well, first of all I am not a big fan of junctions to begin with. I like the lines to stay separate for as long as possible, because it's the only way to prevent delays due to "train ahead of us, should be moving shortly".

Secondly Im not that knowledgeable about the track configuration at that area, and not finding it fun to decide: which trains go where, where they do not go, terminate, running shuttles and so forth. Someone else can cover this.

Last of all, it would require the part of Eastern Parkway to be dug out, to which I don't think residents will agree, in light that whole structure brings questionable benefit to regular folk.

But I like to fantasize too, so I drew two plans how to improve traffic in the area.

Plan 1

Flatbush trains enter/exit mainline with new set of tunnels, similar to what IND has south of 59th st. Because a lot of land has to be used the Nostrand Av. station is demolished. Everything south of Nostrand stays the same.

newjunc1.jpg

Plan 2

Similar setup, but now the whole Eastern Parkway is screwed. The benefit is that Nostrand stays and new Utica Av. which has separate levels for both (3) and (4).

newjunc2.jpg

Just fantasizing it's all ;)

1) Run (2) Trains to 148 St- Lenox Term

(3) Trains run to 137 St

run (4) Trains in 2 Sections Utica- 125 St and Woodlawn and 167 St

No (5) Trains in Mahattan, Trains Run from E 180 St to either Wakefield or Dyre Av.

Shuttle Buses Connect 125 St with 167 St for the (4)

Lenox Term, 125 St, and East 180 St for the (2) and (5).

2) (5) Trains run Dyre Shuttle.

3) (2) in 2 sections: Flatbush- 137 St and Grand Concourse-149 - Wakefield-241

(3) Suspended

4)Easy. (7) Terminate @ Queensborough Plaza.

If it happened all @ once, tho...

i'll give it a shot.

(2) to 137 St.

No (3).

(4) in two sections like before.

(5) in two sections. Flatbush- 125 St and E 180 to Wakefield or Dyre.

Shuttle buses tun to replace (2)(3)(4),and (5) trains.

For the 7 same as above.