NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

10 hours ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Wouldn’t be worth it. 123s are empty as it is once they hit Jersey City. The heavy ridership is all in Union City.

9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

For what? The #119 would go back inside JSQ.....

On weekends that wouldnt be that bad...Christ hospital not that far from JSQ and the 125 runs terrible and that might boost ridership a little on the 123 in my opinion...To be honest the 119 should only stop inside the terminal is overnight with they stop the 10....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FlxMtroD said:

Why not have the #123 extend to Exchange Place via Newark Ave instead of Journal Sq? Already have enough bus routes in and around the Journal Sq area that goes to New York. Exchange Place will have their very own bus line going into Mid Town Manhattan 

The counter-point is would it run against path?

12 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

On weekends that wouldnt be that bad...Christ hospital not that far from JSQ and the 125 runs terrible and that might boost ridership a little on the 123 in my opinion...To be honest the 119 should only stop inside the terminal is overnight with they stop the 10....

Yeah, the #125 runs like crap, but length isn't the reason why I wouldn't bother running the #123 to JSQ... @BreeddekalbL's "random thought" there appears to be rather implicative of having the #123 take the place of the #119 running inside JSQ, which I can't concur with....

8 hours ago, FlxMtroD said:

Why not have the #123 extend to Exchange Place via Newark Ave instead of Journal Sq? Already have enough bus routes in and around the Journal Sq area that goes to New York. Exchange Place will have their very own bus line going into Mid Town Manhattan 

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Can we get rid of all these variations to the 126? There’s no reason large buses should be running down some of these tight *** side streets…

I'd kill two birds with 1 stone here, because I never cared for the #126 running past Hoboken to serve that pocket of Jersey City at/around Hamilton Park....

I can side with the general idea of running the #123 to Exchange Place, but during peak hours (peak direction), I'd divvy up trips between 1] short turning at Congress st. HBLR, 2] terminating at Hamilton Park (less total trips serving it than the current #126), and 3] terminating at Exchange Place - however, peak trips to/from Exchange place would be all 'X" trips (inbound trips would run straight to PABT after Congress st, outbound trips would have Congress st. be the first stop after leaving PABT).... All other times, no service to Hamilton Park, but I would still have a significant enough an amount of trips short turning at Congress st. HBLR....

7 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

The counter-point is would it run against path?

You mean like the current #126 from Hoboken & the current #119 & #125 from JSQ?

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, the #125 runs like crap, but length isn't the reason why I wouldn't bother running the #123 to JSQ... @BreeddekalbL's "random thought" there appears to be rather implicative of having the #123 take the place of the #119 running inside JSQ, which I can't concur with....

I'd kill two birds with 1 stone here, because I never cared for the #126 running past Hoboken to serve that pocket of Jersey City at/around Hamilton Park....

I can side with the general idea of running the #123 to Exchange Place, but during peak hours (peak direction), I'd divvy up trips between 1] short turning at Congress st. HBLR, 2] terminating at Hamilton Park (less total trips serving it than the current #126), and 3] terminating at Exchange Place - however, peak trips to/from Exchange place would be all 'X" trips (inbound trips would run straight to PABT after Congress st, outbound trips would have Congress st. be the first stop after leaving PABT).... All other times, no service to Hamilton Park, but I would still have a significant enough an amount of trips short turning at Congress st. HBLR....

You mean like the current #126 from Hoboken & the current #119 & #125 from JSQ?

I like your idea of the 123"X" Express peak period only with inbound local pickups/ drop offs ending at Congress Street then express to PABT and vice versa 

Speaking of X trips, I really do think they should try their hand with a 119X. That trip down to Bayonne can be brutal even outside the rush hour, I can only imagine how much worse it gets during rush hours. Plus I do think there's ridership to support such a service

Way I would do it is basically all stops south of Sip Avenue along JFK Boulevard, then express to/from Manhattan (no JSQ). That could mean take Tonnelle Avenue to NJ-495 between New York and Jersey City.

Given that they already have short-turns to/from JFK Boulevard & 61st Street that shouldn't be too much of an issue (especially since inbound buses are pick-up only). Perhaps it can start off as a weekday rush hour type of thing, and then expand as necessary.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

@B35 via Church What are your thoughts on extending your proposed Hamilton Park #123 branch to Newport Mall (and running the resultant branch full-time)? And then turn the #86 into an Exchange Place - Union City route. 

@BM5 via Woodhaven Yeah I would definitely agree with testing out a #119X (with the way you have it set up, it could also potentially take the Holland Tunnel if there were issues at the Lincoln Tunnel).

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I forgot that service pattern even existed, good lord. NJT needs to stop with having thousands of variations for a route. Especially since that Hamilton Park branch is barely used and could instead be served by the 123.

7 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Speaking of X trips, I really do think they should try their hand with a 119X. That trip down to Bayonne can be brutal even outside the rush hour, I can only imagine how much worse it gets during rush hours. Plus I do think there's ridership to support such a service

Way I would do it is basically all stops south of Sip Avenue along JFK Boulevard, then express to/from Manhattan (no JSQ). That could mean take Tonnelle Avenue to NJ-495 between New York and Jersey City.

Given that they already have short-turns to/from JFK Boulevard & 61st Street that shouldn't be too much of an issue (especially since inbound buses are pick-up only). Perhaps it can start off as a weekday rush hour type of thing, and then expand as necessary.

Thats basicly why i said in the post above about sending the 123 to jsq if the JSQ term requires two njt services to PABT and have the 119 skip it cause of what you mention....Only reason the 123 got extended  to the hospital was because they took the 119 off of palisades..Back in the day when it ran as the 99S under drogin It had a couple of peak express buses cause of the ridership....By the time some buses reached duncan ave not even jsq its packed and none of the 99S stopped at the terminal either....Those few peak ran all the way down JFK to 32st skipping everything on palisades to the tunnel and  vice versa