NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

12 hours ago, go25 said:

No, because the 108 gives people an option to go to/from Union City, something that NJT Rail doesn't offer

From the (one time) that I took that route I think there were more PABT - Union City than Union City - Newark passengers. Could be an outlier, but just my experience

Edited by Mtatransit

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I think there are more PABT - Union City than Union City - Newark passengers on most trips

Agreed but again just pointing out the fact that the 108 gives people in Newark a one way seat to/from Union City, something that would require a few transfers, like taking the train to Secaucus, transferring to a Hoboken bound train, then the light rail or local bus to Union City. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

How many trips do you do on that run? And it looks like you get a long time in the seat

Interesting 

Only do 2 trips. It’s not as long as it seems, you tend to run early so what happens you simply get out the seat. I did Cape May-New York(5 1/2hrs one way)and back to Atlantic City last summer, so 3 1/2hrs is nothing to me. 

• 2 months later...

I have a proposal it involves extending the 127 from its Fulton place terminal to the little ferry h mart.

Purpose is to elimnate the 165 teterboro "detour" and give that area full time service  and concentrate on adding regular 165 service. It will replace the 165 on the teterboro detour.

To replace the 2 am express trips they will be converted to turnpike express trips like a 165T and the will have 3 am and 3 pm express trips

To nj

Follows 165 route to huyler st then left on north st then right green st then right on wesley to s river st right on s river st to turn left on valley rd to turn left onto bergen turnpike to stand at 165 bus stop

Going back to ny 

Leave 165 stop bear right on s river st to turn left at e Kennedy / wesley to turn left at green st to turn left at north street  turn right at huyler st to turn left at 46 then regular route.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Random thought would elimnating the 62 from elizabeth and giving that segment to the 40 be trouble? meaning leaving the 62 to only run NWK to EWR?

Extending the 40 to downtown Elizabeth is not a good idea. It's already slowed down by port traffic so no. 

As for the 62, making that bus route almost a copy of the old 302 Airlink, nah. Rather, bring it back to Rahway or Linden. Make that to justify the 2 zone application that route has even more meaningful

1 hour ago, go25 said:

Extending the 40 to downtown Elizabeth is not a good idea. It's already slowed down by port traffic so no. 

As for the 62, making that bus route almost a copy of the old 302 Airlink, nah. Rather, bring it back to Rahway or Linden. Make that to justify the 2 zone application that route has even more meaningful

Under the NewBus plan, they would have a microtransit zone replace the section through the Port of Newark, so that would be less of an issue, but I agree it's better to leave the setup as the #40 running to Jersey Gardens and the #62 running to the Elizabeth NJT station.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the #40 actually serves the passenger terminals at Newark Airport. I definitely think something should be covering the section from the passenger terminals to Elizabeth, so it makes sense to leave the #62 running to Elizabeth (or like you mentioned, potentially a bit further south).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Discontinue #319 service to Ocean County Park & Ride...all the 319's I've been on since 2021 I've only seen like 13 people actually get off there. 

Why is there no New York-Philly route?

One reason there's no NYC - Philly bus route because they had a train do that service from Penn to 30th Street in Philly, service was called the "Clocker" and operated in the early 2000s but was discontinued for whatever reason.

EDIT: Clocker was an Amtrak service but accepted NJT monthly tickets and used an NJT locomotive to haul Amtrak coaches rather than NJT coaches. Here's the wikipedia page 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clocker_(train)

The wikipedia page is kinda vague but there's other sources out there discussing this more in depth.

Also there's like a gazillion bus options between Philly and NYC with NJT Zones NJT wouldn't be price competitive with the Greyhound/Peter Pan/Megabuses of the world.

Edited by trainfan22

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2022 at 11:36 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Random proposal how is ridership on the 120 want to consider increasing service 

I mean it gets its riders but peak only..(Bayonne ppl).Only way i see an increase is if it enters jersey city and ran lcl down ocean av to the Holland tunnel....Which in my opinion can work to an extent cause the tpke at time gets really back up 

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Not enough to warrant a service increase...

What do you say/think service should be increased to?

Add more trips in the am hour to ny  i would add at least 3 per the schedule i would a trip at 705 then a 905 and 935 trip to ny 

Coming back to nj they leave downtown manhattan at 20 and 50 past the hour so 350 420 450 520 550 620 new trips at 650 720 and 750 pm then eventually growing into full weekday service 

On 10/22/2022 at 11:20 PM, Lawrence St said:

A big issue with a lot of NJT routes into the city is in fact the tunnel. The tunnel can easily set a bus back 45 minutes to an hour which screws up the schedule.

For example, that 645? 319 trip from NYC to Atlantic City always gets into NYC late from the deadhead.

If PATH was part of NJT, it would make sense to have more of those routes start in Newark instead of just 1 a day.

19 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently, Academy is trying to sue NJT for the rights to the 119 route.

If NJT knew that the 119 was such a high ridership line from the start, why didn’t they take it over from the moment CUSA abandoned it?

Lol nah academy had their time but they lost 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I asked because it looks like the 83 has a lot more ridership.

The level of ridership the #83 garners isn't as consistent as that of the #84 (but I will say that the #83 at its worst gets crowded more than the #84 does)... IDK what the official ridership numbers are, but I'm willing to bet they're similar, only because the #83 covers as much territory that it does... The #84 is definitely the more compact route... The #83 has quite the dropoff in usage once it turns off Broad (towards Hackensack)....

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Something really needs to be done about the 83, like adding an 83X. That ride is way to freakin long.

Side note, how does the 84 have more buses on it at this moment then the 83??

I think the simplest thing is to have it run across the Court Street bridge rather than making the whole loop up to NJ-4. If it needs to serve the northern section of Hackensack, it can continue up and end around New Bridge Landing.

How exactly would an 83X work out? Would it take Tonnelle Avenue and then rejoin the regular route in North Bergen?

3 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think the simplest thing is to have it run across the Court Street bridge rather than making the whole loop up to NJ-4. If it needs to serve the northern section of Hackensack, it can continue up and end around New Bridge Landing.

How exactly would an 83X work out? Would it take Tonnelle Avenue and then rejoin the regular route in North Bergen?

It’s because the Cedar bridge has a weight restriction due to it falling apart (for the past 6 years not to mention…) and Fareligh Dickson University.

An 83X would run up Palisades Ave onto Bergen Turnpike, onto Tonelle Ave to RT-46 (skipping Shaler Blvd), normal routing to Main St, then across Salem St Bridge to Hackensack Term.