NJT proposals/ideas thread 2012-2013

On 2/22/2023 at 8:04 AM, Lawrence St said:

The 167 in general is all over the place. One trip goes to New Milford, one goes via Queen Anne Road to New Milford, the other goes to Dumont via Queen Anne Road, the other serves Glenpointe, the other doesn’t, it’s a mess.

I get that NJT is trying to get as much ridership as it can, but having a single bus route go 20 different ways it’s not the solution.

The 165 would like a word with you (hashtag alphabet soup) 😁

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

When the #52 ran to Short Hills, the mall's clientele was significantly more homogeneous than it is today; the type that would not be caught dead on a bus.... Nowadays, with all these (what I....e to call) SIMON-izing of these malls, Short Hills Mall isn't the (unofficial) monopoly of an upscale mall in NJ that it used to be.... Meaning, it's attracting more of....iverse crowd..... Something else that's having an increase/influx of people shop at Short Hills is the decline of the nearby Livingston Mall (which to me, is slowly approaching dead mall status).... The last couple of #70's I rode .... end to end, had more people getting on/off for Short Hills mall over Livingston Mall..... 

With that said, I would still be hesitant to run the #52 back to Short Hills Mall... In a perfect world, I wouldn't mind seeing it run b/w Short Hills & Jersey Gardens, but NJT Summit station I don't think would do much for the route....

Wonder how close is Livingston mall to being "dead" might as well convert that to real affordable housing, let macys move down to short hills, take one of the parking complexes in the back if they would would like to build a store to their specs if short hills doesn't have an existing to meet their needs. 

I only thought of this so the bus doesnt terminate in a residential neighborhood 

I propose rerouting the 84P via Summit Ave, and rerouting the 83 via New York Ave/Bergenline Ave and Palisades Ave. The 84P would become the 91.

I also propose eliminating the meandering segment of the 83 in Hackensack, instead coming directly across Main St.

The 167Q would be split off into a new route, the 178, and would continue all the way down Queen Anne Road into Ridgefield Park, then going down I-95. The northern portion of the 178 would also follow the former 11C to its northern terminal.

On 2/26/2023 at 1:33 PM, Lawrence St said:

I propose rerouting the 84P via Summit Ave, and rerouting the 83 via New York Ave/Bergenline Ave and Palisades Ave. The 84P would become the 91.

I also propose eliminating the meandering segment of the 83 in Hackensack, instead coming directly across Main St.

The 167Q would be split off into a new route, the 178, and would continue all the way down Queen Anne Road into Ridgefield Park, then going down I-95. The northern portion of the 178 would also follow the former 11C to its northern terminal.

Isn't the #178 already the Hackensack - GWB route?

On 2/26/2023 at 12:48 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Wonder how close is Livingston mall to being "dead" might as well convert that to real affordable housing, let macys move down to short hills, take one of the parking complexes in the back if they would would like to build a store to their specs if short hills doesn't have an existing to meet their needs. 

I only thought of this so the bus doesn't terminate in a residential neighborhood 

I wouldn't say Livingston Mall is that close to being dead to where what you're saying would be in any sort of consideration.... Unlike Sunrise, I'd say it's closer to being salvageable than not....

On 2/28/2023 at 9:50 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Isn't the #178 already the Hackensack - GWB route?

Yeah, the #178 & the #182 are the GWB-Hackensack routes... 182 is more direct, while the 178 diverts up to serve Teaneck & Englewood... They even interline w/ each other.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

I have a proposal it involves extending the 127 from its Fulton place terminal to the little ferry h mart.

Purpose is to elimnate the 165 teterboro "detour" and give that area full time service  and concentrate on adding regular 165 service. It will replace the 165 on the teterboro detour.

To replace the 2 am express trips they will be converted to turnpike express trips like a 165T and the will have 3 am and 3 pm express trips

To nj

Follows 165 route to huyler st then left on north st then right green st then right on wesley to s river st right on s river st to turn left on valley rd to turn left onto bergen turnpike to stand at 165 bus stop

Going back to ny 

Leave 165 stop bear right on s river st to turn left at e Kennedy / wesley to turn left at green st to turn left at north street  turn right at huyler st to turn left at 46 then regular route.

Lets bring this back, i also saw that there are 161s ny via commerce blvd that also originate in teterboro  lets elimnate that as well to concentrate on regular 161s give it to my extended 127 unless those special 161s have a purpose.

Edited by BreeddekalbL

On 2/21/2023 at 6:11 PM, njbus86 said:

Right.  All the original 167s routing went via Queen Anne Road.   They should really split the 167Q entirely and have it run via State St and then over the old R&T !!C/25 routing via Windsor Rd, New Bridge Rd and Prospect Ave to New Milford.  It would speed up the trip to New Milford and serve portions of Teaneck, BErgenfield and New Milford that lost bus service when the 11c was discontinued.

This would be a great idea - but several things are folding this back - top item would be unacceptable gaps in service in Northeast Teaneck, leaving sections with only hourly bus service. This would require adding additional 167T service to fill the gap. 

Now, for the state street Routing following the old 11C to New Milford - there is a large cluster of nearly 1000 apartments in that area and many commuters who drive to various bus lines so this route would do well, but would likely need to be a turnpike express full time as well, making glen point the last stop before running nonstop to PABT. 

This would mean around 50 new runs per day, (good thing) but I wonder if Oradell can handle this. 

the 11C (and 21) routes have had service disruption and a full time 167Q would be welcomed. There’s also the option of moving rhe 167Q to Cedar Lane/ Garrison Avenue/Sussex Road (instead of Queen Anne the whole way) since no express service runs on Cedar Lane currently (idk if you count the 168T, it makes 40 stops before entering the turnpike). 

Alternatively, for Cedar Lane, the 165R can serve Cedar Lane instead of Route 4, improving travel time reliability by eliminating the unpredictability of Route 4. 

if you look at this map from a Teaneck Community site, you can see the huge gap between 165 and 167 http://www.teaneckshuls.org/files/Teaneck-NY_Bus_Diagram_-_from_NJ_Transit_Gate_210_Facebook_group.pdf

Edited by imagineverything

6 hours ago, imagineverything said:

This would be a great idea - but several things are folding this back - top item would be unacceptable gaps in service in Northeast Teaneck, leaving sections with only hourly bus service. This would require adding additional 167T service to fill the gap. 

Now, for the state street Routing following the old 11C to New Milford - there is a large cluster of nearly 1000 apartments in that area and many commuters who drive to various bus lines so this route would do well, but would likely need to be a turnpike express full time as well, making glen point the last stop before running nonstop to PABT. 

This would mean around 50 new runs per day, (good thing) but I wonder if Oradell can handle this. 

the 11C (and 21) routes have had service disruption and a full time 167Q would be welcomed. There’s also the option of moving rhe 167Q to Cedar Lane/ Garrison Avenue/Sussex Road (instead of Queen Anne the whole way) since no express service runs on Cedar Lane currently (idk if you count the 168T, it makes 40 stops before entering the turnpike). 

Alternatively, for Cedar Lane, the 165R can serve Cedar Lane instead of Route 4, improving travel time reliability by eliminating the unpredictability of Route 4. 

if you look at this map from a Teaneck Community site, you can see the huge gap between 165 and 167 http://www.teaneckshuls.org/files/Teaneck-NY_Bus_Diagram_-_from_NJ_Transit_Gate_210_Facebook_group.pdf

I actually contacted NJT about running at least some rush hour 167Q service over the old 11C route to New Milford (those runs mostly currently terminates in Teaneck, so no loss of service) and mentioned the Avalon apartment complex on Windsor Rd and how hundreds of people per day either walk or drive to Washington Ave/Teaneck Rd to get the bus service.  They actually said the idea had merit and would look into it but they said they had to contact rockland coaches to confirm they abandoned the 11C.  Whoever that was at NJT had no clue Rockland/Coach abandoned the 11c and Saddle River took it over and has since gone out of business a few years ago.  

On 3/11/2023 at 4:31 PM, njbus86 said:

Whoever that was at NJT had no clue Rockland/Coach abandoned the 11c and Saddle River took it over and has since gone out of business a few years ago.  

A huge problem is that NJT acts like the private routes dont exist but they impact the service NJT offers

• 4 weeks later...

So one of the things that I realize about the Belleville area is that it's surprisingly hilly. The commercial areas along Main Street (not sure what the official name is, but the Lidl shopping plaza, the State Fair shopping plaza, and the new one they are building next door) are all downhill from the #13 bus on Washington Avenue.

Since the #92 is proposed to be rerouted to North Arlington under the NewBus Newark plan, I would have a branch run up Joralemon Street to provide more east-west coverage in that area (it would take Belleville Avenue - Franklin Avenue - Joralemon Street - Main Street - Belleville Turnpike). Additionally, I'd extend alternate #40 buses to the Big Tree Garage via Belleville Turnpike - Main Street - Joralemon Street - Washington Avenue.

I'd also have the #30 run up to Rutherford, and alternate with the #76 to provide 15 minute service along the northern end of the Ridge Road corridor (which would also provide 15 minute headways for those seeking service to Newark)

I probably mentioned it in the DeCamp thread, but I'd extend the #199D to Bloomfield via Franklin Street (in addition to filling in for the section of the #27 that they plan to eliminate in the NewBus Newark plan, it also provides a connection from the light rail to the southern end of the Union Avenue corridor in Belleville (the proposed #75 should definitely run more frequently than once per hour. I know that frequency is generally based on the existing #74U frequency, but I definitely think there is some latent demand in that corridor).

For the Centre Avenue corridor, I'd run the regular #199 through there (and run both the #192/199 along the old #32 route through Lyndhurst).

For the Cedar Grove area, I'd route the #195 down Lindsay Road, Stevens Avenue, Pompton Avenue, East Bradford Avenue, Ridge Road, and back to Pompton Avenue to continue to West Caldwell, and have that be the main #195 route. During rush hour, some trips would run down Ridge Road. Off-peak #191 service would be boosted to hourly for those seeking Willowbrook Mall (and I think the #195 would eventually warrant hourly off-peak service). 

• 1 month later...

Some restructuring of the two portions of the #780 (east and west of Hackensack Bus Terminal)

#182 (and off-peak #178) extended from Hackensack to Passaic, providing a direct ride to the GWB from Hasbrouck Heights and Passaic. As ridership increases, it can be considered whether to cut the #178 back to Hackensack, and provide an increase in service on the #182 in its entirety.

#753 rerouted to operate via Forest Avenue, Lafayette Place/Lafayette Avenue, Palisade Avenue, Engle Street, then follow the Rockland Coaches route up to Madison Avenue, come back across Madison Avenue to Washington Avenue, and then swing down to Main & Washington to terminate.

On 5/29/2023 at 10:50 PM, checkmatechamp13 said:

Some restructuring of the two portions of the #780 (east and west of Hackensack Bus Terminal)

#182 (and off-peak #178) extended from Hackensack to Passaic, providing a direct ride to the GWB from Hasbrouck Heights and Passaic. As ridership increases, it can be considered whether to cut the #178 back to Hackensack, and provide an increase in service on the #182 in its entirety.

#753 rerouted to operate via Forest Avenue, Lafayette Place/Lafayette Avenue, Palisade Avenue, Engle Street, then follow the Rockland Coaches route up to Madison Avenue, come back across Madison Avenue to Washington Avenue, and then swing down to Main & Washington to terminate.

As this reads, it appears as if you're trying to fill that void b/w the northern part of Englewood & Cresskill with one portion of the idea.... While noble, I wouldn't deconstruct the #780 to ultimately phase it out for a modified #753 & an extended #182.... If anything, the #753 should be phased out.... I get that turnover is pretty high at Hackensack terminal (that the #753 doesn't even serve btw) on the #780, but there are more people through-riding than I think you're giving it credit for.....

The #780 tends to die in downtown Englewood (Palisade av).... To have the #753 take on the #780 b/w the heart of Hackensack (in general) & Englewood Hospital, to then run up to Cresskill, to then shoot over to Dumont, to then descend down to Bergenfield, all of that is not worth it to try to bolster the #753.... Never mind the (current) routing west of Hackensack, which even the #751/755 does better than it than (between Hackensack & Bergen Town Center..... I'm bringing that up because you didn't mention what the modified #753 would do differently west of Hackensack, so I'm assuming you'd leave that part of the route alone)..... With the #753 & the #772 east of Hackensack, to me, they have it backwards - in the sense that the #753 AT BEST should be a weekday only route, with the #772 running every other bus on Saturdays b/w American Dream & say, Bergenfield (Vets Plaza)....

As far as the #182 portion of the idea, I've thought of running buses to Passaic Terminal myself (although I wouldn't do it via the #780's routing west of Hackensack)... The only question I'd have (for myself to ponder) is, how many trips on weekdays would do so, because I wouldn't have every #182 doing it.... The #178 OTOH shouldn't be running to Passaic in any capacity...

All in all, me personally, I would try to find another way to fill that void, because I wouldn't use the #780 as a catalyst for that....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

As this reads, it appears as if you're trying to fill that void b/w the northern part of Englewood & Cresskill with one portion of the idea.... While noble, I wouldn't deconstruct the #780 to ultimately phase it out for a modified #753 & an extended #182.... If anything, the #753 should be phased out.... I get that turnover is pretty high at Hackensack terminal (that the #753 doesn't even serve btw) on the #780, but there are more people through-riding than I think you're giving it credit for.....

The #780 tends to die in downtown Englewood (Palisade av).... To have the #753 take on the #780 b/w the heart of Hackensack (in general) & Englewood Hospital, to then run up to Cresskill, to then shoot over to Dumont, to then descend down to Bergenfield, all of that is not worth it to try to bolster the #753.... Never mind the (current) routing west of Hackensack, which even the #751/755 does better than it than (between Hackensack & Bergen Town Center..... I'm bringing that up because you didn't mention what the modified #753 would do differently west of Hackensack, so I'm assuming you'd leave that part of the route alone)..... With the #753 & the #772 east of Hackensack, to me, they have it backwards - in the sense that the #753 AT BEST should be a weekday only route, with the #772 running every other bus on Saturdays b/w American Dream & say, Bergenfield (Vets Plaza)....

As far as the #182 portion of the idea, I've thought of running buses to Passaic Terminal myself (although I wouldn't do it via the #780's routing west of Hackensack)... The only question I'd have (for myself to ponder) is, how many trips on weekdays would do so, because I wouldn't have every #182 doing it.... The #178 OTOH shouldn't be running to Passaic in any capacity...

All in all, me personally, I would try to find another way to fill that void, because I wouldn't use the #780 as a catalyst for that....

Actually, the main purpose is to provide a direct connection from Passaic to GWB (So I'd definitely be interested in an alternative routing for a #182 extension). The #753 reroute is to maintain the connection from Hackensack to Englewood Hospital (otherwise, I would just have anyone heading to the hospital transfer to the #166 and call it a day).

53 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Actually, the main purpose is to provide a direct connection from Passaic to GWB (So I'd definitely be interested in an alternative routing for a #182 extension). The #753 reroute is to maintain the connection from Hackensack to Englewood Hospital (otherwise, I would just have anyone heading to the hospital transfer to the #166 and call it a day).

Good... Then the #780 definitely doesn't need to be involved in any of this.

Regardless, I'd have a #182 of sorts follow the #76 from Hackensack Terminal to Terrace/Williams, to then shoot across Williams to follow the #709 to Main st (in Passaic)....Then just have it hang that right for the 2 or 3 blocks from Main/Passaic (street) to the terminal.... The quicker option would be to have it do the rush hour Passaic #161 routing from Terrace/Williams....

• 1 month later...

An idea to better repurpose the trips that deadhead between Big Tree Garage and Newark Penn Station to form #78 trips: I'd run them in-service as express trips to Belleville/Nutley (they can call it the #15, since #14 is proposed for the Kearny shuttle in the NewBus plan).

Right now, those trips take McCarter Highway - Main Street - Joralemon Street - Washington Avenue. I definitely think something should be running along Main Street (which is downhill from Washington Avenue), but that is better served with a full-time local route. So if they want to get a bit of extra ridership, they can have it go across Rutgers to Washington so it covers more of Belleville.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

why? the 119 is fine the way it is.

I could see a benefit since the 119 gets really full once it hits Central Ave and tends to leave people behind at the last few stops. But they could run more short turns from JSQ to solve this.

From my observations the 123 empties out past Congress Street. They should be giving more trips to the 119 and turning more 123s short at Congress. I could even argue that all 123s should end at Congress Street. I know they want to provide service for workers at Christ Hospital, but they can walk to Bergenline.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2024 at 7:26 PM, BreeddekalbL said:

Random thought what about swapping the 119 and the 125 routings north of Journal sq? 🤔

Hard disagree.... Subjecting the #119 to the helix & that stretch of 30th/31st st in Union City would loom that much more detrimental to the thing, compared to the way the route currently slogs south of Congress....

Random thought after JSQ rehab is finished would it be worth it to extend the 123 there, following the 84 there and back from christ hospital due to hypothetical complaint that they don't want buses ending in the residential neighborhood etc

Edited by BreeddekalbL

9 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Random thought after JSQ rehab is finished would it be worth it to extend the 123 there, following the 84 there and back from christ hospital due to hypothetical complaint that they don't want buses ending in the residential neighborhood etc

Wouldn’t be worth it. 123s are empty as it is once they hit Jersey City. The heavy ridership is all in Union City.

5 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

For what? The #119 would go back inside JSQ.....