MTA holds out hope for more buses

Via Garibaldi 8

I looked up the official Fieldston Historic District Boundaries (link is here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/reports/fieldston.pdf)and it's pretty damn close... With that said, my question to you is why not use Mosholu Avenue?  It's definitely more bus friendly since there are wider streets and you're less likely to face opposition since you already have the Hudson Rail link shuttle buses running through there.  Run those Bee Line buses via Riverdale Avenue, via Mosholu and via Broadway to 242nd street non-stop. 

The only issue with Mosholu is getting to and from Riverdale Ave. via narrow cross streets. I propose that northbound, buses go one way from Mosholu to Riverdale via 256; southbound, they go from Riverdale to Mosholu via 254.

The  benefit of M C Parkway is that you have a bigger catchment area, meaning you get passengers from between 254 and 239.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only issue with Mosholu is getting to and from Riverdale Ave. via narrow cross streets. I propose that northbound, buses go one way from Mosholu to Riverdale via 256; southbound, they go from Riverdale to Mosholu via 254.

The  benefit of M C Parkway is that you have a bigger catchment area, meaning you get passengers from between 254 and 239.

Wait a minute... Are we talking about Bee-Line buses or (MTA) buses?  I don't agree with any buses making stops along the way.  It should be closed door service for Bee-Line buses to 242nd.  

Wait a minute... Are we talking about Bee-Line buses or (MTA) buses?  I don't agree with any buses making stops along the way.  It should be closed door service for Bee-Line buses to 242nd.  

I disagree. I know there are issues with having BeeLine pick up within NYC, but my idea is to have them pick up in Riverdale so as to give people an alternative subway connection to the Bx7. 

I disagree. I know there are issues with having BeeLine pick up within NYC, but my idea is to have them pick up in Riverdale so as to give people an alternative subway connection to the Bx7. 

The Bx7 has its problems, but it isn't that terrible.  I was on Riverdale Avenue last night for a bit and they were running alright, but this was past rush hour.  Having the BeeLine run straight to the subway would take some strain off of the Bx7 and Bx10 buses from the people in Yonkers coming down to Riverdale and using our services.  I wouldn't mind it if they started the Bx7 and Bx10 at 261st instead like they do with the express buses.  Besides don't the BeeLine buses that run along Broadway to 242nd do the same thing (run closed door)?

It's kind of asburd that the folks in Yonkers benefit from us folks in Riverdale and we pay the higher prices in living costs and taxes. They're a big reason for the overcrowding, so let BeeLine deal with those folks. If they did that alone, I think that would be a start in the right direction.

Additionally, I think you could perhaps run some Bx7 buses to and from 246th and Henry Hudson to deal with the big crowds at 236th and Riverdale Avenue and Henry Hudson Parkway/Riverdale Avenue and 239th. Run them as shuttle buses to and from 231st to help out because the crowding that I see in Central Riverdale is worsening, so that by the time the buses come down from North Riverdale, some of them are already packed.

They had a similar set up with the express buses back in the day, with some of them starting down by 239th.

Additionally, I think you could perhaps run some Bx7 buses to and from 246th and Henry Hudson to deal with the big crowds at 236th and Riverdale Avenue and Henry Hudson Parkway/Riverdale Avenue and 239th. Run them as shuttle buses to and from 231st to help out because the crowding that I see in Central Riverdale is worsening, so that by the time the buses come down from North Riverdale, some of them are already packed.

They had a similar set up with the express buses back in the day, with some of them starting down by 239th.

Not a bad idea. Regularly scheduled short-turns.

The thing is that not only does it help people along the northern portion of Riverdale Avenue (who really wouldn't benefit too much from the short-turns), but it also helps people along Mosholu Avenue or Manhattan College Parkway, whichever the bus runs along.

Mosholu Avenue has the RailLink buses, but those don't connect to the (1). Manhattan College Parkway borders Fieldston but at the same time, there's a decent amount of apartment buildings along the route, so some people would take that over walking to the (1) or Bx7. 

I meant to ask you what buses you used here since unlike other people, we're both Riverdalians and know who uses what where.

I don't use local buses much. I am retired, so I no longer need to take a bus to the subway for work. I drive within the neighborhood. I use Metro-North a lot to get to the city, secondarily the express bus.

I don't use local buses much. I am retired, so I no longer need to take a bus to the subway for work. I drive within the neighborhood. I use Metro-North a lot to get to the city, secondarily the express bus.

So we're almost in the same boat. I am contemplating a move to a new place in Riverdale, but I always thought that if I move to certain parts of Riverdale, I would get a car for sure. It seems as if a lot of folks in North Riverdale drive also, so that's the thing. I would say usage is stronger in Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil, and you'll notice that the petitioners are mostly from Spuyten Duyvil.

So we're almost in the same boat. I am contemplating a move to a new place in Riverdale, but I always thought that if I move to certain parts of Riverdale, I would get a car for sure. It seems as if a lot of folks in North Riverdale drive also, so that's the thing. I would say usage is stronger in Central Riverdale and Spuyten Duyvil, and you'll notice that the petitioners are mostly from Spuyten Duyvil.

Yes, more people have cars in N. Riverdale, it seems. Partly that is because there are more private homes there, easier parking, less density, and more of a suburban outlook. Also N. Riverdale is farther from the subway, and the buses don't take you to the nearest station (242). Having a car also enables you to get to the better shopping in Westchester.

Yes, more people have cars in N. Riverdale, it seems. Partly that is because there are more private homes there, easier parking, less density, and more of a suburban outlook. Also N. Riverdale is farther from the subway, and the buses don't take you to the nearest station (242). Having a car also enables you to get to the better shopping in Westchester.

That's one reason I don't think you need to re-route any buses to serve North Riverdale. East of Riverdale Avenue, I could see those folks driving or perhaps taking the local or express bus.

And for the topic at hand, KB is getting brand new Nova artics, so people in the BX will have a bit of an upgrade. Problem is people in the Bx tend to trash buses, and aren't cleaned as frequently as they need to be.

That must be along certain routes in the Bronx.  Kingsbridge only has the Bx1, Bx2, Bx9 and Bx41 as artic routes, so it's likely a problem on those routes, especially the first two running along the Concourse (long routes from the South Bronx), as I've seen dirty Bx1 buses when I got on at 231st and Riverdale Avenue.  Have never seen trashed 40 footers running in Riverdale... Nevertheless I don't see why they can't put artics on these lines now the way they were before with Bx7.  Do they need to wait for another pick to do that?

I hate how Bronx people trash their buses. They always toss their trash everywhere, it just makes it worse for the next passenger. Pigs make Bronx people look dirty. Not all Bronx people are litterbugs but those that munch out on the buses almost always toss their trash on the floor or behind the seats. The Q44 is so dirty and I stared down a guy munching on fries and candy and he felt ashamed so he picked up all of his trash.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I hate how Bronx people trash their buses. They always toss their trash everywhere, it just makes it worse for the next passenger. Pigs make Bronx people look dirty. Not all Bronx people are litterbugs but those that munch out on the buses almost always toss their trash on the floor or behind the seats. The Q44 is so dirty and I stared down a guy munching on fries and candy and he felt ashamed so he picked up all of his trash.

The Q44 is the dirtiest line from CS it's no surprise either having it run both in Bronx and Jamaica. 

The Q44 is the dirtiest line from CS it's no surprise either having it run both in Bronx and Jamaica.

It's from the South Bronx and Central Bronx really. Those people are something else. I see nothing but trash flying around in the South Bronx. They are so ill mannered and dirty. They just take their trash and throw it on the ground without a second thought. No pride whatsoever in their community, so they carry that right on the bus and elsewhere. As was mentioned the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 don't have this issue. Just lines like the Bx1 that come from the South Bronx.

WOW, Generization much? I'm from South Bx and I and half of the community don't litter, just the late night riders from what I see. How about you come to south Bronx instead of just assuming.

I do on a regular basis, hence my comment. Just walk down 161st and see the trash all over the place, or better yet the Concourse. This is with massive investment of money put into sprucing the area up. You and half of the community don't litter... That leaves the other half that clearly makes up for what the rest of you don't do.

From what I hear, the big problem in the S. Bronx and central Bronx is bus fare-beating. My brother regularly rides the buses there and tells me that it is endemic. At many stops, people just get on the rear door with impunity. I don't know why the MTA doesn't post some plain-clothes transit police on random buses and arrest a bunch of folks. Word would travel fast.

Archived