Fantrip planning 101

If people are loud and cursing then that's a red flag.

I know exactly what your talking about. I used to be scared of those people but now I realized that they don't bother you unless you make eye contact (or simply look at them) or go too close to them. And this is coming from a white guy.

St. George Terminal you have to pay....the inb/w stations of Tompkinsville and Tottenville are free!

While I was riding the SIR for the first time two months ago I noticed people were getting off Tompkinsville and I rode the train to St. George and I had to pay the fare when I got off the train. Other SIR stations had no fare control meaning free rides if you not coming from or going to St. George.

While I was riding the SIR for the first time two months ago I noticed people were getting off Tompkinsville and I rode the train to St. George and I had to pay the fare when I got off the train. Other SIR stations had no fare control meaning free rides if you not coming from or going to St. George.

I hope u r noticing Tompkinsville is getting fare control. I posted it on page 2 i think..

I generally avoid areas with public housing (there are exceptions to the rule).

There are many more fine NYCHA institutions than you may think. The Lower East Side has plenty of projects, but they're harmless. Now the Pink houses on the other hand...

:P

Not all areas in Brooklyn are bad, but how is the area (where the (3) serves) is during the daytime? I've heard stories of people getting mugged =x

May I, since that's my home line for close to 17 years?

I know that most of the sentiment against dangerous neighborhoods comes to Livonia Avenue because it's Brownsville/East New York. That's okay, no problem with people not wanting to come over here. But, if you do want to railfan on the only IRT EL in Brooklyn, do it early. Come when the trains are going into Livonia Yard, around 8:30 to 10 in the morning on weekdays. Livonia during the midday is boring with nothing but R62s. The stations are fine until the kids get out (that's why I said come early). If you want to get off, exercise caution as you would do with ANY other area. And if you feel that you don't want to take the risk, then don't take the risk. That's all there is to it. Come out anytime if you want, I'll go railfanning with you over here. After all, it's only 2 blocks from my house.

May I, since that's my home line for close to 17 years?

I know that most of the sentiment against dangerous neighborhoods comes to Livonia Avenue because it's Brownsville/East New York. That's okay, no problem with people not wanting to come over here. But, if you do want to railfan on the only IRT EL in Brooklyn, do it early. Come when the trains are going into Livonia Yard, around 8:30 to 10 in the morning on weekdays. Livonia during the midday is boring with nothing but R62s. The stations are fine until the kids get out (that's why I said come early). If you want to get off, exercise caution as you would do with ANY other area. And if you feel that you don't want to take the risk, then don't take the risk. That's all there is to it. Come out anytime if you want, I'll go railfanning with you over here. After all, it's only 2 blocks from my house.

Actually, during PM Hrs some (2)(4)(5) R142/As come out to head for bronx service off Livonia. So why go so early? Unless you are trying to say the "hanging" takes place in the afternoon.(Still that doesnt bother me of course, its everywhere lol)

Actually, during PM Hrs some (2)(4)(5) R142/As come out to head for bronx service off Livonia. So why go so early? Unless you are trying to say the "hanging" takes place in the afternoon.(Still that doesnt bother me of course, its everywhere lol)

All of what I posted were just suggestions. I'd rather railfan in the morning, but yeah, if you'd like to photograph them coming out of the yard, be my guest. It'll be more populated in the afternoon, but if that doesn't irk you, go right ahead. I prefer to do most of my railfanning early no matter where I go, which is why I suggested to come early.

The (6) in the Bronx is definitely on the safe side. It's kind of a line of its own... The Pelham Bay area and the park are very safe places to be in. You can ask Roku, she'll tell you I'm not lying! :P

Yes, I will tell you! The areas from Parkchester up are very safe, though a bit desolate after dark.

I hope you are kidding. The projects in the Lower East Side are amongst the worst in the city. Believe me, plenty of illegal activity takes place in those buildings.

Compared to Marcy, Queensbridge, Pink Houses? Don't be so sure. There's a reason why officers in PSA 2 & 3 want to go to 4.

I'd rather take my chances in Alphabet City than Brooklyn North.

I hope you are kidding. The projects in the Lower East Side are amongst the worst in the city. Believe me, plenty of illegal activity takes place in those buildings.

As in any other project housing....

Talk about the ones up at 125th and 2nd around the M15/M116, another crap a$$ place

I never railfan in dangerous areas. A R62a pic isn't worth my life.

What would your definition of "dangerous areas" include? Because no subway station is inherently "dangerous", provided that one exercises common sense and good judgment at all times. This isn't New York as it was in the 1970s and 1980s.

And I don't think anyone's going to make an attempt on your life over a photo of a R62A.

Thats the main reason Im a bit worried about riding the train up to the Bronx and the Rockaway Shuttle. Personally the only times ive ever been in teh Bronx was on I-95 going to either Jersey or Connecticut.

If I knew more about the area around the (H)/(S) and the (6) in the Bronx, I would try to go. Is there even a way to assemble a non-offensive list of stations and neighborhoods in NYC to be careful in?

Areas to be careful in....

East New York (Brooklyn)

Bed Stuy* (Brooklyn)

Brownville (Brooklyn)

Flatbush (Brooklyn)

Caransie (Brooklyn)

Far Rocaway (Queens)

South Bronx (Bronx)

Harlem (Mantthan) 125th street is 100% safe, just north of there its shady..

Queensbrige (Queens)

Jamaica (Queens)

Hempstead (Long Island) The bus station there is safe, as well as the little downtown area around it. Just when you go into the "hood" thats when you gotta watch your back.

*This area is being fixed up, theres now hipters living in Bed stuy.

If you use common sense and aware of whats going around you when railfanning at the subway stations then you'll be fine. Remeber that the subway is in fare control so people can't just ramomly come on the platform like at commuter rail stations and bus stops..

Whenever I go on railfan trips I try to incorporate multiple modes of transportation. For example, if I take an express bus to Staten Island then I always take a local bus to the ferry on the trip back to the city. I never railfan in dangerous areas. A R62a pic isn't worth my life. If I railfan a commuter railroad then I have a plan A and a plan B in case something goes wrong (you don't want to be stuck in Yaphank after you missed the last train).
The (3) line isn't as dangous as you making it out to be. Many people have photographed on the (3) line in BK and didn't get killed. If you go in the morning during the summer time it isn't that bad IMO.

Because if go in the afternoon theres a higher chance that you'll be harrsed by HS kids...

The projects and hoods in Brooklyn are far worse than the Lower East side. Busfan the B12, B14, Knapp ST bound B44 or any of the Fresh pond Ridgewood-Downtown BK routes and you'll see what I mean.

What about Rockaway Park and Broad Channel, are those bad areas?

As for Long Island, I can add to the list of places to be careful in:

Hempstead

Uniondale (The nassau coliseum area)

Westbury (away from the downtown area)

Freeport (I hear by the water is nice, but the area by the train station didnt look to good as I was going past on Sunrise Highway)

Brentwood

Central Islip

Amityville

Bed Stuy* (Brooklyn)

*This area is being fixed up, theres now hipters living in Bed stuy.

Ding ding ding! You're right on many more levels than you may realize.

Amityville

Some would argue that Amityville, Lindenhurst, and Copiague are fine south of the LIRR, but sketchy north of it. I don't know personally though, never been there.

East New York (Brooklyn)

Bed Stuy* (Brooklyn)

Brownville (Brooklyn)

Flatbush (Brooklyn)

Caransie (Brooklyn)

Far Rocaway (Queens)

South Bronx (Bronx)

Queensbrige (Queens)

Jamaica (Queens)

Hempstead (Long Island) The bus station there is safe, as well as the little downtown area around it. Just when you go into the "hood" thats when you gotta watch your back.

Well if you are in a Subway/EL Station it isnt as bad. Ive RF down at ENY, South Bx, and The Rockaways and it isnt as bad. Of course the areas it self isnt as good. Ill agree.

Does any1 know if SI has any areas thats not that good?

Hey the Bronx isn't popular to all, but give it a chance like the others. Hey I'm from the Bx but i dont RF there only, I expand as much as I can. Brooklyn, Queens, downtown where ever. Now of course SI i rarly do since its way too far and to get to SIR you need the ferry or S53/S79/S93LTD

But still, rail fan in other places. Don't be scared. I'm so far the only person who covers the Bx as much, with a few others. And of course too me NYC is getting a bit old in boring, no offense for us New Yorkers, This is why i wanna get out of NY and do some other places, Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey during the summer. =) Thats why when I see members who don't live in NY and don't know much of NYCT, post there own images, its kinda nice to see new things ya know :cool:

This is a very good post. Very rarely do people venture out into the Bronx, which is an ok place except for the South Bronx (which carries the Bronx stereotype, and even that place is getting better. This is why my next trip coming up on Friday is essentially centered around the Bronx IRT (with the exception of the (2)/(5) which I'll do in my next trip). I always wanted to do Bronx IRT regularly, it's just that I prioritized SMEEs first.

On the other hand its harder for guys without all the street-smarts to venture into these neighborhoods, Im sure most of the stations are fine on the platforms, especially midday where theres a station attendant.

Now dont take this the wrong way, I do feel that it depends on who you are and where you from does play a hand into whos more likely to be robbed. Unfortunately its a problem with society.

Here are 3 tips that you should always remember when in a potentially unsafe neighborhood.

1. Walk with a purpose (do it casually but don't be lollygagging around)

2. Make minimal eye contact (making no eye contact kind of singles you out and making a lot of eye contact can be taken as a challenge)

3. Don't single yourself out flashing iPods, iPhones, jewelry or anything else that makes you look rich and stuck-up (same with wearing a $1000 SLR around your neck)

Do these three things and you will be perfectly fine. I remember the first time I railfanned the (J) I was about to piss in my proverbial pants but once I rode the line I realized it's just as safe as any other line.

This area is being fixed up, theres now hipters living in Bed stuy.

Safety wise the neighborhood is getting better (according to you), but 95734065937629357623458-13408635-6734659735q97593762398 Starbucks' on every street corner is not exactly my idea of fixing up a neighborhood.

What about Rockaway Park and Broad Channel, are those bad areas?

I hear Broad Channel is slightly shady but no one lives there in the first place so you should be fine. Rockaway Park is a VERY safe neighborhood, I hear it's a pretty nice place too.

The nail is really being hit squarely on the head here. With that said, I realized I never responded to the original post of the thread. Those are some great suggestions. I don't really find myself planning major trips because I like railfanning by myself (because I always go out early and return before noon), but if I were to plan a trip, that'd be my guide. Happy railfanning!

Well if you are in a Subway/EL Station it isnt as bad. Ive RF down at ENY, South Bx, and The Rockaways and it isnt as bad. Of course the areas it self isnt as good. Ill agree.

Does any1 know if SI has any areas thats not that good?

Stapleton is a bit seedy, but SI is clearly the safest out of the 5 boroughs

East New York (Brooklyn)

Bed Stuy* (Brooklyn)

Brownville (Brooklyn)

Flatbush (Brooklyn)

Caransie (Brooklyn)

Far Rocaway (Queens)

South Bronx (Bronx)

Queensbrige (Queens)

Jamaica (Queens)

As a Harlem resident, I don't feel Harlem too dangerous as it was back in the 90s. There are lots of co-ops and new developements being built.

Add the area around the CAS bus Depot in SI to the "Areas to be careful in", Which I belive is called Port Richmond. Today I fanned my favorite express route the X17 via New Jersey, when the bus got to SI I got off and transffred to the S59 to go to CAS Depot. However the S59 doesn't stop right near the Depot so I had to walk though the "hood" to reach the Depot. Anyways after I seen what I wanted to see at the Depot I catch the S53 back to BK (Its an Orion V woo hoo!). Damn, where do I start, well this one dude was fighting with an another dude (I didn't actually see this, he was telling his friend an story about what went down, they was varbally fighting but they was about to start phyical fighting). So anyways the Dude on the street that the dude on the bus was fighting with threating to call the cops on the dude on the bus, I'm not going to post on here what the dude on the bus said in response to that. But anyways the dude on the street called the cops on the dude on the bus and was giving him his dircreption! (Again, I didn't actually see this, the dude on the bus was telling his friend the story) The dude on the bus had to change what he was wearing because the dude on the street ratted him out to the boys. The next stop, this boy gets on the bus fresh stiches on his face and arm from stab wounds! So yea, you really gotta watch your back in that area, the actual Depot and the bus stops right near it are fine, just if you venture a few blocks past the depot to PR ave or towards the ferry you gotta watch your back!

I would like to add one to this list. KNOW BEFORE YOU FREAKING GO!!!!!!!!!! I'll explain why.

Today, Joe, Stan, Dom, and I were supposed to meet at Queensboro Plaza at 11AM to start our railfan trip. We would meet up with Dave (R160 Maniac) at Times Sq. at 12:20PM to continue our trip. I got to 74th St. at 10:45 AM intending to reach QBP by 11. However, I found out that trains weren't running Manhattan-bound, so I had to go to Junction Blvd. and back to Queensboro Plaza which took half an hour. I got to QBP at 11:15. This doesn't sound bad, but it gets worse. We're at 30th Ave. on the (N) going south to Times Sq. and hopiong to get there in time (we would have). Then there is a smoke condition at 59th St. and Lex so we get stuck in the delay and end up taking a bus to the (R) which is delayed going through 63rd and back to Times Sq. We end up missing our connection with Dom and we can't meet back up with him until 125th St. on the (1), our schedule is pushed back an hour (we end up not having time for MCI hunting, SMEE on the (V) or Jamaica busfanning) and I wasted one of my 4 rides I originally had (meaning less railfanning, though it didn't matter anyway since we ran out of time).

If I had known about that G.O., meaning if I had gotten to QBP at 11 AM, then that would have been 15 minutes earlier than what happened. By the time we would have heard about the delay, we would have been past the delay site and we wouldn't have been affected at all. The bottom line is, know about every possible G.O. affecting the lines you want to railfan at least a day in advance in order to avoid possible problems. It doesn't matter if it's a weekend or not because they do work during middays too.

Archived