Ceiling Collapse Disrupts 1 Subway Service

mark1447

i'm upset because i have to flag at 181 on friday and most likely there is still asbestos floating around. and its hot as hell down there. maybe i'll take some pics and upload them. most of the system is still covered in asbestos except for the stations that have recently been rebuilt.

i'm upset because i have to flag at 181 on friday and most likely there is still asbestos floating around. and its hot as hell down there. maybe i'll take some pics and upload them. most of the system is still covered in asbestos except for the stations that have recently been rebuilt.

sorry to hear that :P

Dang, that's a real bummer. :tdown:

Wow...taking a look at the update, looks like they got the scaffolding up to work on the high ceiling. I hope they finish soon. Those R62As need to get back to 240th St eventually, and more importantly, those riders need their thru service back.

This incident reminds me of a similar incident on the St Petersburg Metro ten odd years ago. That incident shut down a segment of the line (the red line, what a coinky-dink), and there was a shuttle bus replacement service to connect the disconnected segments.

A good friend of mine that i started talking to a few years ago thru a traveler site actually worked that job (bus driver). :eek:

As far as asbestos, get that mask on & wear clothing you can trash afterwards.

- A

Here an media advisory update from the MTA website just posted at around 4pm Friday (8/21/09)on update on the #1 line situation.

MTA New York City Transit Will Inspect 1 Line Station at 168th Street

Shuttle Buses Continue to Replace Trains

Following the partial collapse of the architectural ceiling façade at the 181st Street station Sunday night, New York City Transit, along with a private contractor, has been working around the clock to remove debris, repair damaged sections of track and complete the installation of a protective shield throughout the caverned half.

However, because the 168th Street station has a similar ceiling design, it is prudent that we take advantage of the ongoing service disruption to thoroughly inspect that ceiling's façade as well. As a result, this inspection will be performed between 12:01 a.m., Sunday, August 23rd and 5 a.m. on Monday, August 24th. Because trains can reverse direction only at locations where there are track switches, this inspection will necessitate the lengthening of the bus shuttle south to 137th Street.

1 train service will continue to operate in two sections at least until 5 a.m. Monday when it will be determined whether or not service along the line can be resumed. Riiders should either listen to local television/radio newscasts or the MTA website early on Monday Morning for offical confirmation.

(1) train service will operate in both directions between South Ferry and 137th St

• FREE Shuttle buses will operate between 137th St. and Dyckman St.

(1) train service will operate in both directions between Van Cortlandt Park – 242nd St. and Dyckman St., skipping 207th Street in the southbound direction. Customers at 207th Street should use the A for downtown service instead.

• The M3 bus, which operates along St. Nicholas Avenue, will be FARE FREE for northbound customers at 168th Street; in both directions at 181st Street; and southbound at 191st Street.

. If possible please use the nearby (A) train. Please be advised that from 1201am Saturday-5am Monday (August 22-24)the (A) makes all local stops between 168th Street and Euclid Ave. due to an unrelated construction project.

If it is possible to restore service, customers should be advised that trains will bypass 181st Street until work on the ceiling is completed.

This suspension in service will continue to have an impact on wheelchair customers who rely on the 1 train. Those customers are advised to do the following:

• Customers who use wheelchairs seeking Manhattan bound service at 231st Street should call 1-800-834-1173 and make arrangements for a shuttle bus to take them to 207th Street, where they can transfer to the A for downtown service

• Customers who use wheelchairs heading northbound on the 1 should transfer at 72nd Street to the M5 bus to 168th Street. At 168th Street they can transfer to a free shuttle bus that will take them to stops heading northbound. Another option for these customers would be to take the A train to 168th Street where they can transfer to a FREE shuttle bus that will make all 1 station stops heading northbound

Additional Transit personnel will be on hand at both the 137th Street and Dyckman Street stations on the 1 line to assist customers with travel information. Customers in Upper Manhattan who can use the A Line at stations between 207th Street and 137th Street are advised to do so to avoid overcrowding on the 1 Line. In addition, 1 line customers should add additional time to their commute during this outage. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Reactions?

A good friend of mine that i started talking to a few years ago thru a traveler site actually worked that job (bus driver). :eek:

As far as asbestos, get that mask on & wear clothing you can trash afterwards.

- A

Must've been awful. Remembered service was knocked out for years. But I'm certain this will last at most a few weeks.

ok here is a update you wont get from the news. i flagged 181 yesturday. the only thing that has been done is the platform being put up and the tracks cleared off. the ceiling has not been touched. also the 168 station will close today so they can inspect it. there will be service on monday but 181 will be bypassed. dont expect 181 to open anytime soon. they first are still trying to figure out why the bricks fell then they will probably fix it maybe within 1-2 months.

ok here is a update you wont get from the news. i flagged 181 yesturday. the only thing that has been done is the platform being put up and the tracks cleared off. the ceiling has not been touched. also the 168 station will close today so they can inspect it. there will be service on monday but 181 will be bypassed. dont expect 181 to open anytime soon. they first are still trying to figure out why the bricks fell then they will probably fix it maybe within 1-2 months.

So assuming 168th passing inpsection this weekend, full service should be back by Monday morning right? Only catch is 181 being skipped up to 2 months correct?

Under that scernio better than now, but 181 is a busy station. Not only riders will have a minor headache but the many 'mom & pop' stores on 181 will be hurt.

I wonder why they will be ending at 137th instead of 145th (which has switches to relay back).

I think there are switches north of the station. After all, 137th Street was used as a terminal station by (1) trains in the 1980s and by the (3) train in 1998.

There are switches north of 145th also. In either case, it would be the same kind of move: arrive on the northbound platform, discharge, and then relay to the other side. !37 was the necessary terminal for short turns when the line ran normally, past there, because they could relay on the middle track. At 145th they would relay on the northbound track. But with nothing going past 145, that should be no problem.

I remeber reading somewhere that during the G.O there was a shortage of trains on the southern end on the (1). Now, IIRC some of the lines that uses the R142s, not all of the trains are used during rush hour.... So could'nt the MTA put some of those unused R142s on the southern end of the G.O to help make (1) service?

I remeber reading somewhere that during the G.O there was a shortage of trains on the southern end on the (1). Now, IIRC some of the lines that uses the R142s, not all of the trains are used during rush hour.... So could'nt the MTA put some of those unused R142s on the southern end of the G.O to help make (1) service?

they have been moving trains via the ind. i saw a few 1 trains being moved on 145st on the a line. so they dont need the 142's. also a lot of 1 line train operators are not 142 qualified. because they never left the 1 line.

they have been moving trains via the ind. i saw a few 1 trains being moved on 145st on the a line. so they dont need the 142's. also a lot of 1 line train operators are not 142 qualified. because they never left the 1 line.

There have been times where the (1) has operated R142s, albeit weekend G.O.'s.

also a lot of 1 line train operators are not 142 qualified. because they never left the 1 line.

LOL! Thats a bit shocking to hear, I always thought that all crews in the IRT were qualified on the 142/As. I assume some (3) line T/Os must not be qualified on them ethier as I see a lot of old timer T/Os on that route.

LOL! Thats a bit shocking to hear, I always thought that all crews in the IRT were qualified on the 142/As. I assume some (3) line T/Os must not be qualified on them ethier as I see a lot of old timer T/Os on that route.

That can't be true, as there have been a few times where an R142 sees the (3) for regular service. I don't think there were crew borrowed from 239th either.

Archived