MTA says 'Beat It' to plaque, name change of Brooklyn subway stop

Harry

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority thinks it's a "Bad" idea to use a Brooklyn subway station to pay tribute to Michael Jackson.

City Councilwoman Letitia James has lobbied for weeks to have a plaque honoring Michael Jackson placed in Downtown Brooklyn's Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station - or to even rename the station after the late star - but the MTA isn't thrilled with the idea.

"The Transit Authority has already said, 'Beat it,' literally," said James (D, WFP-Fort Greene).

The King of Pop, who died June 25, filmed his immortal "Bad" video at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station in 1987. All music scenes for the 16-minute, Martin Scorsese-directed video were filmed at the bustling stop, served by the the A, C and G lines.

Current MTA guidelines strictly prohibit the placing of plaques or memorials within the confines of subway stations, according to agency spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2009/08/27/2009-08-27_no_moonwalk_in_park_for_mj_station_plaque.html#ixzz0SdjnJbSX

post-1-133288580744_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580744_thumb.jpg

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority thinks it's a "Bad" idea to use a Brooklyn subway station to pay tribute to Michael Jackson.

City Councilwoman Letitia James has lobbied for weeks to have a plaque honoring Michael Jackson placed in Downtown Brooklyn's Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station - or to even rename the station after the late star - but the MTA isn't thrilled with the idea.

"The Transit Authority has already said, 'Beat it,' literally," said James (D, WFP-Fort Greene).

The King of Pop, who died June 25, filmed his immortal "Bad" video at the Hoyt-Schermerhorn station in 1987. All music scenes for the 16-minute, Martin Scorsese-directed video were filmed at the bustling stop, served by the the A, C and G lines.

Current MTA guidelines strictly prohibit the placing of plaques or memorials within the confines of subway stations, according to agency spokesman Kevin Ortiz.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/brooklyn/2009/08/27/2009-08-27_no_moonwalk_in_park_for_mj_station_plaque.html#ixzz0SdjnJbSX

Hey i was posting it the same time as you Harry lol. I lose.

Seriously the MTA is right on this one. MJ has no connection at all to NYC in his adult years anyway other filiming "Bad" and the film "The Wiz" and would be imo unfair to dozens of New Yorkers who lived/born in the city who renaming a station would be more worthy.

On the station naming rights, to keep fares low, etc. i support a limited form of it. For instance American Express can have it's logo at the 42nd/Grand Central station all over the station but still call it '42nd/Grand Central.'

With that said, i dont have a problem as a compromise with a plaque in micheal honor at the Hoyt St station for that video but nothing more.:tup:

Good, just because something of cultural signficance was filmed at a stop doesn't mean that it needs to be named after the person. Shouldn't politicians have something better to do with their time than this nonsense anyway? It almost makes me wish for a communist dictatorship, almost.

Seeing how a bubbleheaded politician brought this to light let's see what else you can rename in the subway system.

Bergen Street will now be called Jacob's Ladder Plaza

42nd Street PABT will now be called Patrick Swayze Memorial Station in honor of the movie Ghost being filmed there

The Lexington Avenue Line will the renamed the Pelham 123 line

Good, just because something of cultural signficance was filmed at a stop doesn't mean that it needs to be named after the person. Shouldn't politicians have something better to do with their time than this nonsense anyway? It almost makes me wish for a communist dictatorship, almost.

Seeing how a bubbleheaded politician brought this to light let's see what else you can rename in the subway system.

Bergen Street will now be called Jacob's Ladder Plaza

42nd Street PABT will now be called Patrick Swayze Memorial Station in honor of the movie Ghost being filmed there

The Lexington Avenue Line will the renamed the Pelham 123 line

LMAO! Wait! dont forget renaming Union Square the "Harrelson and Snipes transit center" for honoring "The Money Train"

Hey it happens at the federal level too. Worst economic crisis during the 1920's? Nah we ain't got time for that. A group of Republican senators wanted to pass a bill to officially declare 2009 "the year of the bible" instead! true story you betcha :tdown:

Hey it happens at the federal level too. Worst economic crisis during the 1920's? Nah we ain't got time for that. A group of Republican senators wanted to pass a bill to officially declare 2009 "the year of the bible" instead! true story you betcha :tdown:

"Hey Lois, look at me. I'm the symbol of the Republican party, a fat white guy who's afraid of change ridding an elephant." Peter Giffin

"Hey Lois, look at me. I'm the symbol of the Republican party, a fat white guy who's afraid of change ridding an elephant." Peter Giffin

LOL add gray hair and a bad comb-over (edit: not needed Peter already has one of those) and you got 90% of the Do Nothing Party...

Hey now, it is a fun party. You get free guns, liquor and a Bible.

Who needs a bible? Liquor I can get anywhere. Both parties let you drink yourself silly, and frankly parts of both parties give you reasons to want to every day. Unfortunately gun control is what does the democrats in. Doesn't make sense. Dems = Liberals = liberal, liberating, free, allow things...like guns...but wait a minute fooled you NO

Guns, change, popcorn, liquor, and taxing the shit out of corporate crooks to pay for transportation. I'm on my own over here unfortunately but that's nothing new. The party of (un)common sense.

Who needs a bible? Liquor I can get anywhere. Both parties let you drink yourself silly, and frankly parts of both parties give you reasons to want to every day. Unfortunately gun control is what does the democrats in. Doesn't make sense. Dems = Liberals = liberal, liberating, free, allow things...like guns...but wait a minute fooled you NO

Guns, change, popcorn, liquor, and taxing the shit out of corporate crooks to pay for transportation. I'm on my own over here unfortunately but that's nothing new. The party of (un)common sense.

See this is why we need a 3 party system and term limits. Plus, politicians are like diapers, they are full of **** and should be changed often.

As for naming a staion after Jacko, thats just stupid.

On that note seriously guys lets back to issue on whether a NYC subway station should be named after a celebrity like MJ, a famous NY native or a zillion dollar company.:confused:

See this is why we need a 3 party system and term limits. Plus, politicians are like diapers, they are full of shit and should be changed often.

As for naming a staion after Jacko, thats just stupid.

Naming a station after anyone who has not significantly contributed to the development of the system or the station makes no sense. Particularly someone in the entertainment industry.

I don't see "Belmont-Brooklyn Bridge" anywhere do you?

Or "Hylan-207 St."?

So no Michael Jackson-Hoyt-Schermerhorn

Besidse that makes it sound like a long hyphenated name which just is bad form. You want to honor MJ there are better ways to do it than naming a train station after him. Hey I got an idea! How about something actually in the music industry instead of something unrelated!!!

Naming a station after anyone who has not significantly contributed to the development of the system or the station makes no sense. Particularly someone in the entertainment industry.

I don't see "Belmont-Brooklyn Bridge" anywhere do you?

Or "Hylan-207 St."?

So no Michael Jackson-Hoyt-Schermerhorn

Besidse that makes it sound like a long hyphenated name which just is bad form. You want to honor MJ there are better ways to do it than naming a train station after him. Hey I got an idea! How about something actually in the music industry instead of something unrelated!!!

You got my vote of Mayor Hylan station, but it needs to be an IND staion

I would love to see Hoyt be renamed Michael J. Jackson Subway Station (A)(C)(G). Dumb MTA and their rules. He's obviously not a fan. He was probably against Michael during the trials too! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes, let's make the MTA spend money to change the name on ALL the maps, change all the signs, change all the rollsigns for someone that wasn't really a New Yorker. This is akin to the Triborough Bridge being renamed to the RFK bridge.

Yes, let's make the MTA spend money to change the name on ALL the maps, change all the signs, change all the rollsigns for someone that wasn't really a New Yorker. This is akin to the Triborough Bridge being renamed to the RFK bridge.

On second thought, that sounds like a great idea. :(

IAWTP. It doesn't make any sense to name a station after something/someone that has NOTHING to do with the surrounding area (no landmarks, institutions, or the like). Whether you're a fan or not, it's just more idealizing of another celebrity who hasn't contributed anything to this city. It's just another ploy by politicians and activists to gain some temporary support of various groups of people by pointing it out as if they did something for their community. It's another reason why I woke up to the stupidity and insincerity of local politicians who claim to stand for the best interests of their constituents and the larger good of their city.

I'm an Michael Jackson fan and I don't think it's a good idea for the station needs to be named after him. I thought a plaque would be cool but if you do that for MJ, then you need to put up a plaque for all the movies, TV shows and video's that were shot there over the years as well. Besides, I don't like the idea of a station being renamed for a person or a business anyway. The MTA is right with this.

Hey, not all of us are bad. Then again, I'm a moderate Conservative who is also a little Libertarian who also supports the arts.

I've never understood why being a conservative should somehow make you anti-transit or against the arts, etc. Or a liberal being anti-gun for that matter. I've always hated stereotypes and how too many people jump behind these labels and parties and blindly support or oppose whatever they do. Few seem to have the ability to look at things rationally and make their own decisions.

Congress said no because of his criminal record...

They should speak for themselves.

I've never understood why being a conservative should somehow make you anti-transit or against the arts, etc. Or a liberal being anti-gun for that matter. I've always hated stereotypes and how too many people jump behind these labels and parties and blindly support or oppose whatever they do. Few seem to have the ability to look at things rationally and make their own decisions.

Best.

Post.

Ever.

:tup::tup:

Archived