I MISS IRT Third Avenue Line

r40s 4501

You mean the elevated line?

After so much crowding & problems, i too miss the elevated lines & wish i could go back in time and smack the person across the face hard enough for them to fall over who decided it was a good idea to let them be demolished. :mad:

(either that or tossed in the east river in january)

- A

I don't know much about the 3rd Avenue El itself but i do know that the Myrtle Avenue El should have deserved a little bit better as well.My aunt,my moms oldest sister came to the USA well before the 60's and she actually rode the 3rd Avenue & Myrtle Avenue El's respectively,i guess she and many from her generation can say that they miss it because it was part of their youth.I can say i miss the old Dean Street Station on the Franklin Avenue (S) line and that like many other things of my generation.

The (MJ) was indeed special,at the time it had the distinction of being the last true El in NYC and last passenger line to still operate wooden passenger equipment.One could have only wondered if the city would have reinforced the old line back then and somehow survived to this day.I wonder what silly letter designation it would have had today,after elimination of double letters.

The (MJ) was indeed special,at the time it had the distinction of being the last true El in NYC and last passenger line to still operate wooden passenger equipment.One could have only wondered if the city would have reinforced the old line back then and somehow survived to this day.I wonder what silly letter designation it would have had today,after elimination of double letters.

I would have guessed it would have been another branch of (M) like how (A) has two endings

I would have guessed it would have been another branch of (M) like how (A) has two endings

Probably.My aunt used to tell me the old stations on the Myrtle Avenue El were short and all island platforms,certain stations still had the old pot bellied stoves and wooden platforms,winters were cold during those days when the NYC region used to get real blizzards.Although my aunt used to live in Williamsburg area,she used to get off at the old Vanderbilt Avenue Station.She rode the Third Avenue El when she used to work in the Bronx for the NYC Public Libraries,she describes the same as the stations on the Myrtle Avenue El,except that most of the Third Avenue El stations were in worse shape at the time as compared with the better mantained Myrtle El stations in Brooklyn.

How about this one Metsfan

Knowledge is power ;)

I've seen specs & blueprints & dimensions for the now gone elevated lines a well as seen photos and the one video. I'm sad they are gone & miss them, as i miss the CRRNJ and DL&W.

- A

I, myself, miss the 70(8) and have since April 29, 1973 when the R12s made their last run and this last segment of the Third Avenue El closed.

With the 70(2) and 70(5), the 70(8) formed The Bronx's loop - for a 20 cent token (35 cents at the end), you could ride an 70(8) up Third and Webster Avenues and Gun Hill Road, transfer upstairs to a 70(2) or 70(5) and ride down White Plains Road, Southern Boulevard and Westchester Avenue, returning to The Hub at East 149th Street-Third Avenue. A ride that was 99% elevated.

There were a couple of oddities, Bedford Park Boulevard and Webster Avenue carried the name 200th Street to the end; Webster Avenue and Gun Hill Road was named 210th Street-Williamsbridge and there was a 177th Street station.

The middle track was removed around 1968 and R12s replaced the 1939-1940 World's Fair I.R.T. Lo V's.

This was a fun line to reach places on Third, Courtlandt, Melrose and Washington in Morrisania - and the Botanical Gardens.

Despite the free transfer and the special booths, it was never the same after the BX55 replaced the 70(8).

The R39 would've been something like a modern el car. From reports, the R39 would've looked like an R38 built to I.R.T. size. There was 120 planned and I think sixty would've gone to the (MJ) Myrtle Avenue El and sixty to the 70(8) Third Avenue El. They never made it off the drawing board and the Myrtle Avenue El closed on October 4, 1969 and the Third Avenue El followed on April 29, 1973.

P.S. The actual last el was the Culver Shuttle - closed May 11, 1975.

How can someone miss something they weren't alive to see? :confused:

It's basically like saying that I miss the Second Avenue Subway...I, and everyone else, did not even get a chance to ride it yet!!!

The R39 would've been something like a modern el car. From reports, the R39 would've looked like an R38 built to I.R.T. size. There was 120 planned and I think sixty would've gone to the (MJ) Myrtle Avenue El and sixty to the 70(8) Third Avenue El. They never made it off the drawing board and the Myrtle Avenue El closed on October 4, 1969 and the Third Avenue El followed on April 29, 1973.

P.S. The actual last el was the Culver Shuttle - closed May 11, 1975.

Well since we are talking about El's and kind of went off topic a little bit,sorry about that r40s 4501

Even though the old Fulton Street El was torn down years ago,doesn't the small segment of the Franklin Avenue Shuttle Line be considered the truly last El?

I, myself, miss the 70(8) and have since April 29, 1973 when the R12s made their last run and this last segment of the Third Avenue El closed.

With the 70(2) and 70(5), the 70(8) formed The Bronx's loop - for a 20 cent token (35 cents at the end), you could ride an 70(8) up Third and Webster Avenues and Gun Hill Road, transfer upstairs to a 70(2) or 70(5) and ride down White Plains Road, Southern Boulevard and Westchester Avenue, returning to The Hub at East 149th Street-Third Avenue. A ride that was 99% elevated.

There were a couple of oddities, Bedford Park Boulevard and Webster Avenue carried the name 200th Street to the end; Webster Avenue and Gun Hill Road was named 210th Street-Williamsbridge and there was a 177th Street station.

The middle track was removed around 1968 and R12s replaced the 1939-1940 World's Fair I.R.T. Lo V's.

This was a fun line to reach places on Third, Courtlandt, Melrose and Washington in Morrisania - and the Botanical Gardens.

Despite the free transfer and the special booths, it was never the same after the BX55 replaced the 70(8).

210th Street was one block below Gun Hill Road, it was demolished by the Bronx River Parkway

177th, 190th, 200th, and 210th Sts survive on Metro North

Well since we are talking about El's and kind of went off topic a little bit,sorry about that r40s 4501

Even though the old Fulton Street El was torn down years ago,doesn't the small segment of the Franklin Avenue Shuttle Line be considered the truly last El?

Some people might count that, and they also might count the old Jamaica El (now the (J)) and the old Liberty Av El (now the (A)

they should have kept all the el`s because now we need them more then ever. in manhatten by the south ferry all the el`s would meet together and after that split up they had the 2nd ave el went up to queens the 3rd ave went up to the bronx and the 9th ave el did to and the 6th ave el ended in midtown manhatten or so

Archived