Question about the X25 and X90 Buses

Luis1985

The X25 only runs from Downtown Manhattan and Grand Central, the X90 operates from the Upper East Side-91 St to Downtown Manhattan. I remember there was an X26 bus as well but from what I heard, it was discontinued due to low ridership. But, do people really use the X25 and X90 buses if it only runs in Manhattan?

The one time that I took the X25, the driver said that the 7:30-8:30 buses (every half-hour) get people from Metro-North. I took the 9 AM bus, and there was no one else but me on it. The X90, on the other hand, I've seen considerably filled.

yea i kinda noticed that too. nobody really uses the X25 alot, plus it runs out of Ulmer Park Depot in Brooklyn. Normally its either the (4)(5)(6) train, M98, M101, M102, M103 buses, or a taxi. I NEVER really see passengers use the X25 bus. The X90 i would understand cuz the route is longer.

yeh, old x26 was discontinued due to low ridership... it went from the world financial ctr. to penn station... traveled along west st...

as for the x25... it interlines w/ other UP express runs either off the 29, 37, or 38 (in the morning anyway)...

x90 gets more riders than some might think... I've seen some PM x90 runs about half-full along water st...

maybe Yuki (famousnylover on here) can tell us more about that, since he used to live in/around/whatever Yorkville...

X90 during AM Rush Hour, it was crowded like M15 LTD, but not very crowded. I rode the Orion V with suburban seats and that was much comfortable.

Majority of X90 riders got off near Hospital for Surgery, Midtown Manhattan, when it used to be non-stop to Water St.

I didn't took the new pattern yet, but X90 was popular average bus service.

X90 PM Rush Hour went I took, especially Friday, it was mostly empty, but other days, it was full. This was before the route change/stop change.

When X25 only had 8:00am departure from GCT which I took, bus was filled up, with only two seating places. They mostly got off in Downtown Manhattan.

The X25 is the second least-used express bus in the (NYCT), with the least-used being the X32. I understand the X32 as it only uses three buses and makes only one half-round trip. These buses were on the chopping block until May. I would not be surprised if it happens again.

of the times I've been on the x63 during the pm hrs, most the ppl either get off at the union tpke. stop, or that stop over there around main st/QB (for the connection for the Q44, I'm guessing)... the stops before it hops on the van wyck... I never understood that about some ppl. that board/get off the x63/64 there... matter fact, why are those even stops at all?

far as the x63 vs the x90, yeah, I'd say the x90 has somewhat of an edge as far as usage goes....

....and Yuki, thanks for (confirming) that info....

I remember one time when I was waiting for X25 when it only had less service in PM Rush after 9-11 tragedy, B/O came back on X25 and he did not know bus stop were change to north side of Vesey St, and he show up on World Finacial Side, and he offer me free ride.

I also remember when I was on northbound X90 when I was heading to my former Yorkville neighborhood, people got confuse with local bus because it made stop at most M15 stops.

There's no need for the X25. The last run of the Q67 gets more customers than the X25, going by your observations (btw there's only like 4 passengers myself included). For all that, you can take the train and save $3.50...

X25=FAIL!!!

I remember one time when I was waiting for X25 when it only had less service in PM Rush after 9-11 tragedy, B/O came back on X25 and he did not know bus stop were change to north side of Vesey St, and he show up on World Finacial Side, and he offer me free ride.

I also remember when I was on northbound X90 when I was heading to my former Yorkville neighborhood, people got confuse with local bus because it made stop at most M15 stops.

Lol...fail.

If it were extended into Brooklyn then the bus may have a purpose. I don't see why not, as many people want to get to downtown Brooklyn, another neighborhood with significant ridership, that should have an express route.

Lol...fail.

If it were extended into Brooklyn then the bus may have a purpose. I don't see why not, as many people want to get to downtown Brooklyn, another neighborhood with significant ridership, that should have an express route.

I see what you're saying, but downtown Brooklyn has more subway service, meaning an express bus wouldn't get much ridership, in my opinion.

yeh, old x26 was discontinued due to low ridership... it went from the world financial ctr. to penn station... traveled along west st...

That is not true! The X26 was funded by some kind of funding from the 9/11 recovery act! It was discontinued b/c the funding ran out & the PATH resumed running to WTC. The X26 was a pretty popular route as I have seen some buses SRO & the least amount of people I ever saw was like about 15-20 People on a Nova RTS Suburban as that is pretty much what I saw being used on the X26 (Towards the end I did see a O5 on the X26).

I think the X26 is 1 of the short lived NYCT routes out there! Lasted about 2 Years, maybe slightly less!

From my experience, not many people from Metro North take the X25. I know the last X25 to GCT normally get's a decent amount of people. I have ridden the X25 in the AM's & it's about 10 people on average for the 8:30 AM Trip that I have taken from time to time.

X90 OTOH is very well used & I have seen SRO buses @ times! I don't see the X90 going bye bye til the 2nd Ave Subway opens!

Archived