What's your longest stop in a tunnel beteen stations?

Abba

I was waiting for that, too. The last blackout I was stuck on a train from 4:11 pm 'til my C/R and I were relieved at 10:30 am the next day. I can see all those prospective T/O s and C/R s never thought about that. You can not leave your train until you are properly relieved by a supervisor or another train crew, right Zman ?

Wow...so in a case like that the 16 hour rule doesn't apply? Just wondering.

Guess I've been lucky. Never been stuck between stations more than 20 mins, never been stuck IN a station more than 40.

There's been worse delays but I've always been somewhere else, not on a train, like one time when there was a 12-9 at a station I was going to use...wasn't on the train or anything, but obviously no service

I was waiting for that, too. The last blackout I was stuck on a train from 4:11 pm 'til my C/R and I were relieved at 10:30 am the next day. I can see all those prospective T/O s and C/R s never thought about that. You can not leave your train until you are properly relieved by a supervisor or another train crew, right Zman ?

Major overtime. Ka-ching! :cool:

Well I was one that was stuck on a northbound E during the last blackout. We were rolling along fine between Elmhurst Avenue and Grand Avenue that afternoon on my way home from work. All of a sudden, bam! I was waken from my semi-slumber by the brakes going into emergency. Not a big deal, usually, but this time it was different. All the lights except the battery operated ones were out. The whoosh of the blowers was absent. The PA did work, and the conductor soon gave us the bad news of a city-wide blackout. She was very professional, and kept us informed of plans to 'rescue' us as soon as possible, but frankly telling us due to the difficulty of lots of other trains in the same situation, and the fact that we were on the express track, making evacuation more difficult and legnthy, that it could be several hours. After about a half hour of this, we noticed some passengers had taken to the tracks (we were on R-32's, and not locked in R-46's). With cell phones, keylights, and lighters illuminating the way, they made their own way to the next station. After another half-hour of this, I joined the next 'band' and did likewise, exiting at Grand Avenue. I walked from there to the Queens Center Mall where I was able to board a Q88 bus to take me the rest of the way home.

Wow...so in a case like that the 16 hour rule doesn't apply? Just wondering.

Guess I've been lucky. Never been stuck between stations more than 20 mins, never been stuck IN a station more than 40.

There's been worse delays but I've always been somewhere else, not on a train, like one time when there was a 12-9 at a station I was going to use...wasn't on the train or anything, but obviously no service

There was a major discussion during that overnight period. The pm supervisors at what was called Command Center back then had no idea when power was coming back on. The procedure was to secure your train w/sufficient hand brakes so the train wouldn't move when the air bled off. No juice=no compressors. Unfortunately the (2), (5) and (6) were running NTT only. No hand brakes but parking brakes instead. To engage the parking brakes the train must be placed in emergency !!! On the older equipment the friction hand brakes tighten against the wheels so even with no air the train would just lock up and not move. With the NTT nobody down at Command Center was sure of what to do next. The midnight supervisors came on duty and began to order us out in the field on old equipment to leave the trains secured and go home. Some crews were relieved by other crews, but others, like myself, couldn't be relieved because there were not enough midnight personnel able to get to work that night because of the blackout. To make matters worse those who were relieved before the 16th hour were required to be back at work the next am or pm tour or lose a days pay. My partner and I, along with another (2) crew who got stuck next to us, were relieved the next morning so we were excused for that Friday. The (2) crew had been on duty for over 24 hours and still had to travel from Brooklyn to the Bronx to get home with no trains running. That's what irks a lot of us with Transit to this day. They ( command center ) wouldn't declare an emergency that evening or during the overnight because they wanted everyone to be required to report to work the next day or be punished in some way.The 16 hour rule would have been waived and common sense would have kicked in instead. Many of us couldn't contact our families because cellphones and cordless home phones were out yet all they worried about was their equipment and not the workers protecting that equipment. Never mind how long it took you to get home without train service. That attitude is what causes strikes ,hostility, and Days of Outrage in the (MTA) between hourlies and upper management and it's still prevalent down here.

Never ever never never. You've got that right.

During the blackout, one T/O that I know stayed on the clock for 53 straight hours. There's your 16 hour rule times three! Rules tend to get thrown out the window during emergencies.

BTW, the week of the blackout, I screwed up my Vacation Relief bids. I had wanted to bid on an (F) job starting at 7:30 paying over 10 hours, but accidentally put down the bid number next to it: a 4:49 am report on the (V) paying only eight and a half.

If I had bid on the (F), I would've gotten stuck at Sutphin Blvd not three stops away from the terminal after having done two trips. Instead I was home. Talk about luck!

That Presidents day snowstrom in 2003 was stuck at the East for 23 hrs...

I remember Supt Saunders came in that crew room shook the snow off her and said...

"Nobody is going anywhere"...

The Blackout that started form that fire in the Con Ed place at 14th Street i was stuck on a (3) train just south of 18th Street. That became loads of fun when the A/C finally went out...

After we finally evacuated the train me and my partner had to go back and sit on that sucker..

The Big blackout they had a few summers ago my classmate was stuck at Burke Ave on that Duece for nearly 20 hrs...

Ah good times in the A Div ....;)

That Presidents day snowstrom in 2003 was stuck at the East for 23 hrs...

I remember Supt Saunders came in that crew room shook the snow off her and said...

"Nobody is going anywhere"...

The Blackout that started form that fire in the Con Ed place at 14th Street i was stuck on a (3) train just south of 18th Street. That became loads of fun when the A/C finally went out...

After we finally evacuated the train me and my partner had to go back and sit on that sucker..

The Big blackout they had a few summers ago was stuck at Burke Ave on that Duece for nearly 20 hrs...

Ah good times in the A Div.....;)

Heh...guess I'll make sure I pack a good book at all times just in case once I get down there. Thanks for the stories guys

There was a major discussion during that overnight period. The pm supervisors at what was called Command Center back then had no idea when power was coming back on. The procedure was to secure your train w/sufficient hand brakes so the train wouldn't move when the air bled off. No juice=no compressors. Unfortunately the (2), (5) and (6) were running NTT only. No hand brakes but parking brakes instead. To engage the parking brakes the train must be placed in emergency !!! On the older equipment the friction hand brakes tighten against the wheels so even with no air the train would just lock up and not move. With the NTT nobody down at Command Center was sure of what to do next. The midnight supervisors came on duty and began to order us out in the field on old equipment to leave the trains secured and go home. Some crews were relieved by other crews, but others, like myself, couldn't be relieved because there were not enough midnight personnel able to get to work that night because of the blackout. To make matters worse those who were relieved before the 16th hour were required to be back at work the next am or pm tour or lose a days pay. My partner and I, along with another (2) crew who got stuck next to us, were relieved the next morning so we were excused for that Friday. The (2) crew had been on duty for over 24 hours and still had to travel from Brooklyn to the Bronx to get home with no trains running. That's what irks a lot of us with Transit to this day. They ( command center ) wouldn't declare an emergency that evening or during the overnight because they wanted everyone to be required to report to work the next day or be punished in some way.The 16 hour rule would have been waived and common sense would have kicked in instead. Many of us couldn't contact our families because cellphones and cordless home phones were out yet all they worried about was their equipment and not the workers protecting that equipment. Never mind how long it took you to get home without train service. That attitude is what causes strikes ,hostility, and Days of Outrage in the (MTA) between hourlies and upper management and it's still prevalent down here.

It was even more "fun" when the power came back on and quite a few of those R142 "toys" would not reboot or move at all.

I heard that some deuce crews got jacked around sorry you was one of them.

You wasnt stuck at Burke ave was you?

Heh...guess I'll make sure I pack a good book at all times just in case once I get down there. Thanks for the stories guys

I'll have my mp3 player packed with movies and my PSP with games for moments like this plus while my ass sits on the board.

A few years back I was stuck on an (N) train from about 45-50min in the 60st tunnel. the train went BIE and did not want to start

Lol @ the part where it didn't "want to start". Since when does the (N)ovember have the right to free will?

back in 2000, i was on a Manhattan-bound (;) train (Back the when it used to run via 4 Av-West End Express and used R68A's of course) and we got stuck in between 36 St and Pacific St-Atlantic Av for 37 minutes because of a signal malfunction and a R40 Slant (N) train with mechanical problems ahead of us.

Jeeze after reading this thread i'm never leaving the house without my iPod and a flashlight! :cool:

Also gotta say thank you to the train crews, NYCTF members or not who sit in that dark tunnel for x number of hours after evacuating the pax during blackouts and 3rd rail outages etc. I have truckloads of respect for all of you folks. :tup:

- A

I remember years ago when I first started to go to school by myself, I used to take the (L) from 1 Av to Bway Junction. (This was back when the slants was all over it ;)). But anyway, I was chatting with the C/R and we got to Montrose Av. We got to the 4th car where he was standing then all of a sudden it went BIE. So we was there for like 45 mins halfway in the station. Turns out someone pulled the e-brake and it wouldn't restart.

So what is the longest amount of time you have been stuck between stations in a tunnel? And in which tunnel was it?

I was stuck on a Manhattan Bound(N) train between 36th and Pacific.And between Franklin and Utica on a Utica bound (4),both for about 15 minutes.,and they were both BIE.

2 hours 43 minutes between Brooklyn Bridge s/b and Brooklyn Bridge n/b, MLK Day 2007, due to a 12-9.

You'd better have extra batteries for your flashlight to read that book when the lights go out.

It was even more "fun" when the power came back on and quite a few of those R142 "toys" would not reboot or move at all.

I heard that some deuce crews got jacked around sorry you was one of them.

You wasnt stuck at Burke ave was you?

I was in Brooklyn on the (5). I haven't worked on the (2) since the late '80s. I did my Beast days when the redbirds were overhauled and never went back.

I have waited 7-8 min on the Utica Av-bound (4) coming into Grand Central Station. I found out later that there had been a power outage that was backing everything up. Also, I spent 20 minutes on a Utica Av-bound (4) just south of 125 St. Apparently, the motors had broken down, so we ended up crawling into 86 St, where the train was taken OOS on the spur.

Archived