Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

You what's crazy I had some folks in my flagging class just f**king complaining the whole time to the point the Tss had to tell them look for other jobs. Understand this if you coming to work for Mta please don't think you got any say so and second don't be like a certain co worker who got around a bunch of blk people and said how he dislike Africans with power referring to our tss

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

damn people are just messing up for no good reason.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You what's crazy I had some folks in my flagging class just f**king complaining the whole time to the point the Tss had to tell them look for other jobs. Understand this if you coming to work for Mta please don't think you got any say so and second don't be like a certain co worker who got around a bunch of blk people and said how he dislike Africans with power referring to our tss

What they don't realize is that they can just be patient and move up or get promoted. I'm not sure what flagging is. I guess you're exposed outside and flag trains. Don't know. Conductors are very broad. Theres a guy who retired from the mta he was a conductor for over 30 years.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

To be honest most of the Tss are cool just so many folks coming out of school car and f**king up big time and then the heat comes down on them I have met many flaggers who have not been back on the train in 20 years and are happy bottom line I tell folks is this if you don't like your job quit to sit there and be sleeping while we in class or just trying to fail on purpose just to get back on the train planned did not work in his favor.

You arrive at the flagging quarters they go over a safety critique and rule of the day most of the senior people pick the good jobs so if your sitting on board you get paid for been there but most you have a partner go out set up the lamps on the tracks to let the train operator know workers are in the road bed and then you chill to the contractors call off the job

You arrive at the flagging quarters they go over a safety critique and rule of the day most of the senior people pick the good jobs so if your sitting on board you get paid for been there but most you have a partner go out set up the lamps on the tracks to let the train operator know workers are in the road bed and then you chill to the contractors call off the job

sounds like a good gig to have. I think the best advice for this job is to stay under the radar.

Flagging is the shit long as you do what your supposed to do your be fine and every night your gonna get at least 1.5 hours overtime

other than the dangers that come from being on the roadbed (3rd rail, clearing up, inattentive T/O) i heard flagging is an awesome job. much less stressful than being on the road or on platform. The only other job id rather have is hand switching. 

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it public records that show how many mta employees will retire? I know there's a website that shows employee salarys. But I don't know what the retirement organizatin pension fall under. Unless they're all the same?

I found out that around 1,700 employees will retire but I don't know if that's office or bus or underground and thats for 2016.

And there's a way to also find out how many people they want to hire. I've been studying this. Mta habits for hiring is basically what they project the budget is in the future and then subrract retirement and then add hiring.

So this year I'm projecting a massive hiring spree of bus operators. But the problem is so many people luck out because the last test is sooo long ago. And people move, don't care, lose licenses etc etc. Also they're going to have alot of shuttle busses. A lot. So more bus drivers.

No idea for the plans on train operators but. There biggest difference between this train operator exam and others is this is the first time you will need a drivers license. Makes it very hard for alot of people. So by the time they need to hire train operators hundreds if not thousands will be dropped just because of that and ofcourse people will move, change addresses, and not pay attention to when they will be called.

Still learning the hiring habits.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

seems like it. I guess nobody else is being called in.

Done with schoolcar and posting as of this past Monday. Passed all tests and practicals. Theres not much to report. You get thrown to the wolves, but youll wind up learning fast. Duringbmy midterm, there were 100 or so more people at PS248, new Conductors/Train Ops. Not sure if the list is moving still. At any rate, the job is exciting, frustrating, fun, boring, all at the same time.

Qnzbound I'll be done with school car in 1 week so how was it the first time alone in a customer train

To be honest, i wasnt as nervous as i thought i would be.That being said, once youre done with posting, youll be ready to go. The night before, i was stressing. Then the day comes and its show time and youll quickly settle in. Things are a lot faster on the road as youll see during posting. Its kind of annoying having a TSS ride with you or checking up on you at some point on your route everyday. Terminal operations are probably the most nerve racking since youre up against the clock. I no longer adhere to the 2 minutes prior rule... im on my train AS SOON AS IT PULLS IN. youre going to need all of those 5-9 minutes (assuming you get even that much). There are gaps in training, or maybe i wasnt paying attention, but youll learn:

1)To just get on your train whether you saw your T/O get on or not

2) Whether to shut down your train for a relay or leave it open for the next crew

3) Improper zoning DOES indeed happen in real life. Got hit with a improper zoned train at Parkchester, after building up confidence in my abilities taking the 6 out of Pelham.

4) You get more confident each day. It becomes second nature. Give it a week and youll be used to the equipment, radio chatter, and addressing customer questions.

5) how to communicate with your partner. Some people dont like hearing the buzzer, or dont want you to bother them on the IC asking for the line up.

6) Take notes on every trip. If you get held at a station, anything unusual during your run, anything that might be called into question later on.

7)Most of the people down there are cool. Some of the ATDs and TDs come off a little aloof, but theyre just busy and will get to you if you speak up.... so speak up!

8) dont be afraid to ask questions. Had a G.O. job this weekend and they can be extremely overwhelming to understand and then explain to customers on the road, so MAKE SURE, you have all the details written down and easily accessible. We had a good TSS that broke it down for us newbies, took us almost 30 mins to get it, but whatever it takes.

9) Go here: http://www.mta.info/schedules print out the strip maps for each individual line in your division. Make them smalller if you can, and keep a stack of em and tape them up inside your cab for quick reference. Youll be asked all kinds of questions at main hubs (34th, 42nd etc) if you cant answer, point them to the nearest platform conductor and keep it moving.

Im learning more everyday. You will too. The nerves will pass.

To be honest, i wasnt as nervous as i thought i would be.That being said, once youre done with posting, youll be ready to go. The night before, i was stressing. Then the day comes and its show time and youll quickly settle in. Things are a lot faster on the road as youll see during posting. Its kind of annoying having a TSS ride with you or checking up on you at some point on your route everyday. Terminal operations are probably the most nerve racking since youre up against the clock. I no longer adhere to the 2 minutes prior rule... im on my train AS SOON AS IT PULLS IN. youre going to need all of those 5-9 minutes (assuming you get even that much). There are gaps in training, or maybe i wasnt paying attention, but youll learn:

1)To just get on your train whether you saw your T/O get on or not

2) Whether to shut down your train for a relay or leave it open for the next crew

3) Improper zoning DOES indeed happen in real life. Got hit with a improper zoned train at Parkchester, after building up confidence in my abilities taking the 6 out of Pelham.

4) You get more confident each day. It becomes second nature. Give it a week and youll be used to the equipment, radio chatter, and addressing customer questions.

5) how to communicate with your partner. Some people dont like hearing the buzzer, or dont want you to bother them on the IC asking for the line up.

6) Take notes on every trip. If you get held at a station, anything unusual during your run, anything that might be called into question later on.

7)Most of the people down there are cool. Some of the ATDs and TDs come off a little aloof, but theyre just busy and will get to you if you speak up.... so speak up!

8) dont be afraid to ask questions. Had a G.O. job this weekend and they can be extremely overwhelming to understand and then explain to customers on the road, so MAKE SURE, you have all the details written down and easily accessible. We had a good TSS that broke it down for us newbies, took us almost 30 mins to get it, but whatever it takes.

9) Go here: http://www.mta.info/schedules print out the strip maps for each individual line in your division. Make them smalller if you can, and keep a stack of em and tape them up inside your cab for quick reference. Youll be asked all kinds of questions at main hubs (34th, 42nd etc) if you cant answer, point them to the nearest platform conductor and keep it moving.

Im learning more everyday. You will too. The nerves will pass.

Could you please elaborate on "Improper Zone?"

Could you please elaborate on "Improper Zone?"

An improperly zoned train is when the Master Door Controller is activated (or zoned up) in the improper car. On a 10 car train the conductor always operates from the 6th car, but if a train goes through a relay to turn around as it does at say Parkchester in the BX or Utica in BK, the 6th car, becomes the 5th car once the train is headed back the other direction and the train is now improperly zoned. If a conductor doesnt catch this and tries to zone up in the proper position while the other MDC is still zoned up, they wont be able to operate the doors in the front section and wont get indication in that section.

Basically there are 2 captains on the same ship so the ship is confused. Easy to correct, if you remember to check for it

Who are the platform conductors? How do u get assigned that position and is that considered a desirable shift?

How often do u get posted on the platform?

Platform conductors are th people you see in the blue vests, with the glash lights, at high volume stations. They signal to the conductor on the train when its safe (ish) to close down the doors. They do their best to direct passenger traffic and provide info to customers. I believe they work straight shifts and get weekends off. Platform work can also be disciplinary for a conductor that messes up on the road i believe.

Archived