Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

I guess I have to wait for DCAS to pull me from the list. I thought I did my medical clearance in time not to loose my spot. Now to redo all that stuff all over again and possibly be placed on a medical hold and loose out again. I'll just wait and see what's going to happen. I get it but my question is why have me do a third drug test if I missed my opportunity. Why tell me to wait 90 days if I am going to get pulled from the list. Mine you every person I spoke to on Tuesday said it was fine that I cleared it up the medical. I have seen them tell people on the spot to restore their name to the list but nobody told me that.

Who knows.. I will call first to find out what the heck is going on. Either Ms. Michelle Rivera-Vargas or DCAS themselves. Like Erik said even if you have to go down in person, do what you have to do. They are hiring so many people each day that sometimes they don't even know what their doing. Good luck to you!!!

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What goes down the first three days at 195 montague? When did you guys get issued uniforms?

Day 1 and 2 are a mix of pep rally esque speeches, and reviewing various health benefits, payroll, general rules and regs, a bunch of powerpoint presentations that ive all but forgotten.

Day 3 is your day with the union reps. More speeches, go over the vision and dental plans, multiple pitches for services ranging from disability, 401K, lawyer services, etc.. you also get to pick/ are drafted into a division based on your seniority (list number) and choose your pay location (until your direct deposit is set up)

Fitting for uniforms doesnt happen until your second day at PS248. They come in the mail piece by piece.... everything is on back order and will be the wrong size (probably) any way. So far ive gotten 2 pair of pants and a spring jacket. The only think you are issued while at PS248 are your boots, tools, vest, gloves and books.

Thanks Qnzbound. One more thing do we need to take any of the the 3 books we got when we were hired the first 3 days?

General rule of thumb is to bring everything they give you until you are told otherwise. The Rules and Regs, Conductor Induction Manual, and Bulletins are everyday carries. there are a few packets (Strip maps, additional bulletins etc) that are carried every day too. This is in addition to your PPE (flashlight, radio, mask, vest, gloves, safety glasses, tools) which must be carried everyday. The only day we were allowed to leave a few of our book home was during the one day of Fire School at Coney Yards. The bag will weigh upwards of 20lbs. so be preparred for that. get a decent sized duffel bag with a strap that you can remove when its time to walk the tracks in the yards.

I went in for my second drug test for cleaner off this exam. Two weeks go by and I get a letter in the mail that says after reviewing your qualifications you were not appointed to the cleaner position. They did not interview me, see my resume or look at my 21 page booklet. They must be basing it on the application that I filled out while I was waiting. Are there actually qualifications that they look for just to be a cleaner? It's not hard, you can learn anything you need to know on the job. I am so disgusted with the MTA. Why have me come in a second time and do the entire process again for nothing? They already had the same application with my same experience from the first time I came in. What the heck is their problem? I have a clean record with no parking tickets nor any kind of unlawful activities. I just don't understand.

Don't be discouraged. I received the same letter a few years ago. I was eventually called for the position originally hired. I believe that for the position of cleaner, which is labor class, the requirements for hiring is different than hiring for conductor which is civil service.

@MrMTA229,

250 people in the next class? Classes used to be maybe 60-80 conductors.

And are they doing two classes a month?

Good news for those on this list, and good news for those of us on 6601 if they hire like this when they get to the new list.

well that's good to know. I am waiting for DCAS to take me off the list since I missed the Feb 27 class. Once that happens I can restore myself back on the list and, start the whole process all over again.

At this current point being on the road is f**king nuts cause so many new conductors and operators are f**king up via over running stations hitting home balls conductors opening doors on wrong side of the train it's just a true f**king mess 3 of my classmates have been fired already they are not playing games before you get a smack on the wrist and re-instruction now it's the streets so I warn all coming stay focused cause your first mistake can either have you fired or worst somebody killed and transit will let you hang. Flagging is good I don't mind the rats running around or the trains passing by my face or walking the tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

At this current point being on the road is f**king nuts cause so many new conductors and operators are f**king up via over running stations hitting home balls conductors opening doors on wrong side of the train it's just a true f**king mess 3 of my classmates have been fired already they are not playing games before you get a smack on the wrist and re-instruction now it's the streets so I warn all coming stay focused cause your first mistake can either have you fired or worst somebody killed and transit will let you hang. Flagging is good I don't mind the rats running around or the trains passing by my face or walking the tracks.

I have so much respect for conductors. You're job is so broad. Different types of conductors. Does the train operators ever have to do a conductors job if a train operator happens to be on board? Like a trainee operator will open doors? Call spots? What else they do on the train?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

For C/Rs, these are the things that can get you fired VERY quickly once you're on your own:

-opening with doors outside of the station or on the wrong side

-failing an efficiency test by opening at a "DO NOT OPEN" board

-failing an efficiency test by not pointing at the board

-on your phone while in operation

-excessive use of unsubstantiated (no dr lines) sick

-excessive AWOL

-behavioral issues (fights with coworkers, etc.)

For T/Os, these are the things that can get you fired VERY quickly once you're on your own:

-3 instances of bad train control, or 2 in a very short time (signal overruns, station overruns, wrong routes, etc.)

-Major incident - derailment or split switch due to failure to read iron, overrunning a portable trip in a flagging area

-On your phone while in operation

-excessive use of unsubstantiated (no dr lines) sick

-excessive AWOL

-behavioral issues (fights with coworkers, etc.)

These are not difficult jobs, but they are demanding, and they require you to be focused. It's not for everyone. You have to pay attention to what you are doing and be aware of what you are doing at all times. Don't get complacent...especially when you're new.

Congrats who are your Tss I gave up the road for flagging and I love it

I have TSS Smith and Daughtry. Climb the D today it was super fun. And I've been hearing that Flagging is the business. I'm trying to see where I fit but I'm after this money keeping my had in the books. Sorry if I don't post much but this job is DEMANDING on TIME.

Ammo, smart move going to flagging, with all the BS on the roads its not worth $21 per hour..if you ever promote to another position just promote to non road jobs if that isn't for you..my plan is to become a RCI ,CI or signal maintainer and just ride it till the wheels fall off..you don't want to give up 25 years of your life without having one..RTO people enjoy life after retirement, you want to enjoy life from now ..

I hope these new T/O's respect flagging , this is why during schoolcar they would have the T/O play the role of a flagger to see wtf they go thru

You what's crazy I had some folks in my flagging class just f**king complaining the whole time to the point the Tss had to tell them look for other jobs. Understand this if you coming to work for Mta please don't think you got any say so and second don't be like a certain co worker who got around a bunch of blk people and said how he dislike Africans with power referring to our tss

Archived