Long Island Bus Merger Thread

TransitGuy

Hello everyone. I just noticed that there is no thread here speaking of the possible L.I. Bus merger into MTA Bus. So why not speak your mind on the issue and discuss whats going on. What would you like to see changed in the L.I bus division (ex. paint, route designations, routes, etc.)

My first Reactions

The overall paint scheme of LI Bus will be eliminated and will most likely be painted the normal white and blue stripe. I think that many of the buses there will be scrapped since I have heard horror stories about them in favor for Orion VII's which will be interesting to see how they work there. I'm hoping that the buses will be more more frequent and service will be increased. Any thoughts or reactions if LI Bus does merge?

People overreact to LIB buses with how they suck. Alot of those O5 CNG buses are new, and they will go no where. If they did it would either be West Farms, College point, Spring Creek, or Jackie Gleason, if LIB were to get a whole new fleet from the MTA. Don't think that will happen. As for the color scheme. LIB, MTA, and WCDOT has basically the same scheme. WCDOT just added yellow above the blue, and LIB Orange. Remove either and you have just a blue stripe.

MTA will have both soon. When? Who knows. But they will, as Westchester and Nassau always complain of how expensive the bus service is, and how much it hurts their budgets.

I don't know too much about LI Bus but what exactly would be the big benefits with a merger?

That's what I would like to know. Long Island Bus is still MTA so why the merger. I could see if LIB was under its own ownership/agency but its still MTA so what are the benefits?

would be realy bad to loose LI bus liveries, along with LI-specific Orion 5 and their 4-segment doors. 4-segment doors make LI-BUSES very special :D

However if a merger will happnen? will be there a bus which can run lets say from Sheepshead bay to Forest Hills, or to Heampstead from Midwood.?

Can this merger bring such bus routes?

I don't know too much about LI Bus but what exactly would be the big benefits with a merger?

State funds, compared to Nassau only funds. LIB is only operated by the MTA, it is wholly owned by Nassau County though. Nassau has all say with service, etc....

• 1 month later...

youll probably most definatly see the orange gone. Better managment of what buses are at what depot. As far as theyre O5's with the four door segment? Well, when was the last time you saw JFK's or Far Rock's 55XX O5's in any other depot? Definatly expect renumbering as LIB's buses conflicts with NYCT's O5's. But what other numbers are left? Will they try to go to 5 digits agian like when NYCT first got O5's? They will definatly need Artics in Nassau! Low Floors? Dont want them, but you know theyre comming! I do like the idea of Nassau express buses to manhattan though. And 24 hour service on more than just one route!

youll probably most definatly see the orange gone. Better managment of what buses are at what depot. As far as theyre O5's with the four door segment? Well, when was the last time you saw JFK's or Far Rock's 55XX O5's in any other depot? Definatly expect renumbering as LIB's buses conflicts with NYCT's O5's. But what other numbers are left? Will they try to go to 5 digits agian like when NYCT first got O5's? They will definatly need Artics in Nassau! Low Floors? Dont want them, but you know theyre comming! I do like the idea of Nassau express buses to manhattan though. And 24 hour service on more than just one route!

Actually there are a lot of numbers available because of retired coaches. So here they are, and here's my theory on how they might be used. Some I know, Most are just a guess. Just having some fun with numbers!

1200-1535(LIB), 1536-1859(OPEN), 3475-3499(OPEN), 3784-3888(MTAB 07 NG), 3889-4299(NYCT 07 NG), 4330-4455(NYCT D4500), 4456-4499(OPEN), 4500-4619(NYCT 07 NG), 4620-4899(OPEN), 5770-5851(Artics), 5882-5894(OPEN), 6906-7119(NYCT 07 NG)

Actually there are a lot of numbers available because of retired coaches. So here they are, and here's my theory on how they might be used. Some I know, Most are just a guess. Just having some fun with numbers!

1200-1535(LIB), 1536-1859(OPEN), 3475-3499(OPEN), 3784-3888(MTAB 07 NG), 3889-4299(NYCT 07 NG), 4330-4455(NYCT D4500), 4456-4499(OPEN), 4500-4619(NYCT 07 NG), 4620-4899(OPEN), 5770-5851(Artics), 5882-5894(OPEN), 6906-7119(NYCT 07 NG)

• 2 months later...
That's what I would like to know. Long Island Bus is still MTA so why the merger. I could see if LIB was under its own ownership/agency but its still MTA so what are the benefits?

MTA wants to merge all of Long Island Bus and Bee Line but does not know exactly when. Even though it is MTA, it is run by Nassau County (LIB) and Westchester DOT (Bee-Line). By merging to MTA Bus, it is being controlled by NYC which will provide more buses and service improvements.

By merging to MTA Bus, it is being controlled by NYC which will provide more buses and service improvements.

Don't know if it was a typo, but it will not be controlled by NYC. MTA/NYCTA Buses are controlled by the State of New York, not NYC. NYC only funds the service for NYC Transit, and MTA Bus. If Bee-line becomes apart of it, Westchester would pay the MTA for the service, and if Nassau does same they will pay for the bus service. Nassau and Suffolk pay for LIRR, and all counties that MNRR serve pay for that service.

Hello everyone, get ready again because the rumor mill is at it again and there are claims that LI Bus will be taken over tomorrow (Tuesday). So please post any observations and experiences here. Thanks

WHAT?!

I'm not believing it until its official.

Archived