The R42's are going Fast

R32 3838

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The R42's are going and from what I heard from somebody, That the R32's will be last, The R42's at ENY are rotting out bad and plus the MDBF on the R42's are very low so I dobut that the R42's will survive another 8 months, That R32 at CI is a long term G.O. Train, That would mostlikely be the Last 60" SMEE in passenger service. And I dobut that ENY would want an R42 back from jamaica.

Thank you, but let everyone find out the hard way.

So if the (R) gets half R46 and halfR160 and the (V) gets some R160s, wheres the extra R46s going? to the (A) and (C)?

Also if they are going to take the 68s from the (Q) and make it all R160s where are the extra 68s going?

At this point the 'dumping grounds' for any displaced 75'car train would be the A/C. But I highly doubt it would make much sense to send R68s from coney island to Pitkin as it would give them an extra fleet to deal with. Now if the G was ever transfered to Coney Island and given R68s [just my speculation], then that would free up some R46 sets to displace.

Now as for the R46, that makes more sense as the A already has a bunch of them now and such a transition would be easy to do.

But I also read rumors that MAYBE Pitkin or 207th might get R160s as well, but I can't be too sure about it. I mean sure the politicians might demand new trains on the A/C, but realistically [when the R32s are all retired and some R44s], an all R46 fleet would be ideal.

If an 3rd Option Order or R179's (who Knows) Will go to pitkin, I has been said already, Back to the R42 topic, Jamaica has only 40 left, a set went to scrap last friday, ENY still has 50 R42's left, On one note About the R42's, If the (C) goes 10 cars don't Be surpised if the R42's made a comeback to the ©harlie (10 cars) But I doubt it, Who Knows what the TA would bring to table when it comes to the Retirement of the R42, Who Knows the (C) might be the very last line to have R42's.

There's 50 R42s at ENY, not 20. Jamaica had 50 R42s a couple of weeks ago but 2 R160s came in service since then so Jamaica should have 30 R42s left now.

If you're hunting for an R32/R42 (V) then wait at the middle of Lexington - 53rd. That's the halfway point of the line and you should only wait half an hour at most for one to show up.

If you're hunting for an R32/R42 (R), one leaves Forest Hills at 2:55 and Bay Ridge at 4:33. I think the 7:59 out of Forest Hills is also an R32/R42 sometimes.

There's 50 R42s at ENY, not 20. Jamaica had 50 R42s a couple of weeks ago but 2 R160s came in service since then so Jamaica should have 30 R42s left now.

If you're hunting for an R32/R42 (V) then wait at the middle of Lexington - 53rd. That's the halfway point of the line and you should only wait half an hour at most for one to show up.

If you're hunting for an R32/R42 (R), one leaves Forest Hills at 2:55 and Bay Ridge at 4:33. I think the 7:59 out of Forest Hills is also an R32/R42 sometimes.

Ok. So I'll have the chance tomorrow to get an R32/R42 (R) Train at 2:55 PM At Forest Hills?

and btw I was thinking about catching an R42 (J) Train tomorrow if I can.

Ok. So I'll have the chance tomorrow to get an R32/R42 (R) Train at 2:55 PM At Forest Hills?

and btw I was thinking about catching an R42 (J) Train tomorrow if I can.

It may be a R32 as well so don't get your hopes up so much.

I got an R32 (R) train, with 3932 and 3933 the lead cars, at 8th St-NYU yesterday around 3:30 pm. I took it to Whitehall St and decided to do a round trip on the SI Ferry just for fun (got the Andrew Barberi both ways). On returning to Whitehall-South Ferry at 5:00pm, I was waiting for an (R) or a (W) when, surprise, the same R32 (R) I rode earlier came around. I took the (R) to Canal St and transferred to the (J) to take to Broadway Junction, and got an R42 set. I don't remember the car numbers, but I think I was in 4792. Anyone wanting to ride R32s/R42s can follow this pattern, assuming that R32 (R) and R42 (J) trains always run at the same time on weekdays.

Archived