Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I wished I had classes closer together. I remember I had to go from nearly one end of the school to the other (it's like a square, but there is one segment that doesn't connect to the other ie: long walk thru 3 other corridors to reach the room) I think I had 10min? b/w classes. I hated it. One time I had a free period for the end and that meant early dismissal! I always hoped for some classes at the end of the day to end early like that.

As for bike riders on the pedestrian segments, i would just love to have a bat on me and slug them (not for real obviously, but those bikers just pisses me off).

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other classes adjacent (or close enough) to each other though, yeah I didn't like that either.... made it harder for you to cut....

also, you had less time to stop off & do other things you had to do (like go to a guidance counselor's office, use the bathroom, grab a snack, etc... stuff like that)

Last year, I got lucky. Most of the classes were near each other, except for the ones at the end of the day. You know what that means. ;)

I have three minutes to go between classes. That hasn't changed. Although are periods are now 38 minutes instead of 42 minutes long because of Advisory being five days a week now.

What's Advisory?

Last year, I got lucky. Most of the classes were near each other, except for the ones at the end of the day. You know what that means. ;)

That works too.... only because the situation wasn't reversed

(the classes towards the end of the day were close to each other, and the ones to start off the day weren't)

It's like when I'd have classes periods 1-6, a 7th period free & 8th period lunch on mondays.... after 6th, I was outta there....

(at grady [when I was goin anyway; don't know about now], there's no 9th period on mondays)

Edited by B35 via Church

Wow periods in my school suck, this is how it goes

1st period : 65 minutes

2nd period : 40 minutes

3rd-8th : 35 minutes

BUT its a 7day cycle schedule with two cycles (one 7 day cycle you will have gym, the next cycle you will have religion), meaning that one day, you will have math 1st (Day 1 for example), the next day you will have science 1st (day 2) it was made cuz we dont have a lot of periods and we get out kind of early and they wanted each subject to have a 65 minute period a cycle..

If we have a 1:10 dismissal (like I will have on the 10th) then each period is 30 minutes...

Mad complicated at first, but now as a Junior, I am very adjusted to it.

Your periods are weird (no innuendo intended).

In Brooklyn Tech, you basically had 40 minute periods with 3-5 minutes in between. Nearly all had 9 periods, some had 8, and some unlucky ones had 10. Some started at later periods than others, and some finished a period early.

That works too.... only because the situation wasn't reversed

(the classes towards the end of the day were close to each other, and the ones to start off the day weren't)

It's like when I'd have classes periods 1-6, a 7th period free & 8th period lunch on mondays.... after 6th, I was outta there....

(at grady [when I was goin anyway; don't know about now], there's no 9th period on mondays)

Yeah, that's a PITA. What you could do is show up late and catch a few extra Zs, but then the problem is that you get marked as late on the official attendance.

My school has block periods. Apparently it helps people rack up credits faster (although I'd imagine the long day [8 to 3:35 PM] has a little something to do with it too)

What's Advisory?

In my school, it's where a bunch of people meet up with a teacher and talk about issues. Sometimes about a pre-selected topic (violence, technology, etc.) Here it's once every month and a half or so, and it replaces the half-length elective we have every day(~45 mins long instead of 85) Unlike other classes, advisories are sorted by alphabetical order only, and you keep the same people and teacher for the advisory throughout all 4 years.

When I was getting off the (2), I witnessed a robbery. Some guy yelled "Hold him! Hold him!" as another guy ran off with his stuff. I noticed a lot of people saying the guy should have yelled "Thief!" or "He stole my _____!" instead (with the usual West Indian pronunciation). I wish I could act faster.

Is this Labor Day-induced madness or what?

Edited by Mysterious2train

I had my share of near misses on the (2). Some years back I was in the 5th car and then I heard a loud scream at the Newkrik? stop. Turned out a guy got his leg slashed in the car behind me. Dunno what it was, probably gang related, but damn, if I had picked one door down... I know there has to be a higher being keeping me safe that day. I don't care how many atheists denies the existence of God, I believe as long as I'm safe, God is there.

Local incidents, a car smashed into a parked car just a few houses down my street. the parked car's rear bumper was 'ripped off' and the back of the car was smashed in a lot as you can see the exposed springs above the rear wheel. The other car looked like it had only a smashed right headlight. No pics obviously because a bunch of ppl were standing around it.

Edited by Grand Concourse

While I was fanning yesterday, Some random chick tried to get in my shot of a D60.... She was posing and smiling for the camera... Jokes on her because I was way too zoomed in for her to appear in my shot... At least she was kinda hot though... Still, I hate it when people get in my shots...

Ha! Reminds me of the annoying tourists in the city... Anytime I even think I may be in their shot I try to duck out of the way...

Ha! Reminds me of the annoying tourists in the city... Anytime I even think I may be in their shot I try to duck out of the way...

Yeah, If I see anyone trying to take a shot, I too either duck or wait until he/she takes the shot.... As a fellow photographer, I don't try to F up someone's shot...

I used to shoot a lot when I lived back in Italy, but I would wait for that perfect shot... Harder to do here of course...

That's cool! While fanning at Tremont ave, It was tricky to get a good shot because of the constant flow of cars that pass through the area... There was a LFSA on the Bx40 but a car at the last second got into the shot which ruined the photo... Had that photo been shot perfectly, I would have added that here too...

I have slain many a dragon in my time, but the battle last night proved to be a one to remember. Took 4 years to defeat, but surely it was worth it

(kudos if you caught on, had to sugarcoat it for the children lol)

Yeah, If I see anyone trying to take a shot, I too either duck or wait until he/she takes the shot.... As a fellow photographer, I don't try to F up someone's shot...

Screw that, if they walking and then just stop in front of me to take a picture, I walk right through it

Straight photobombing status

I have slain many a dragon in my time, but the battle last night proved to be a one to remember. Took 4 years to defeat, but surely it was worth it

Screw that, if they walking and then just stop in front of me to take a picture, I walk right through it

Straight photobombing status

LOL to both parts of your post...

The last time I went to Manhattan it was the middle of May. I thought I wouldn't need a jacket but even at 2:00 PM it was barely 68 degrees out. Then I wanted to go in July but there was some sort of threat or something. Maybe I'll go one day before Halloween, OW only has classes Mon-Thurs anyway...

That would explain those noises I heard. It was a dragon being slayed. ;)