Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL!  I gotta laugh every time I think about this e-mail... So I've been coordinating a deposition for tomorrow and the interpreter I chose is from Spain but they've been living here in the States for over 20 years and do tons of assignments dealing with Latin Americans.  Any who, the person that needs interpretation services is from South America (Colombia).  I confirmed with the client that they won't have any problems communicating so I get an e-mail back asking me to confirm that the interpreter will bring a "Colombian dictionary" with them tomorrow to ensure that they understand the client!  LMAO!  I still haven't replied yet because the idea in and of itself of a professional interpreter bringing a dictionary to a deposition or any place for that matter is so ridiculous... I tell ya I have to educate people every day about languages... Smh

With this $1 MetroCard surcharge bullshit, maybe the system will become cleaner........now everyone's gonna pick up the cards on the floors :P

How about you and the rest of pubescent America be happy you even have a damn phone?

Well if I'm spending my own money for my own phone, why complain?

I say wait... I never buy anything immediately when it comes out because there are always kinks...

There will be kinks even when it's old. Just look at the Galaxy S2 AND S3 and that bullshit brick bug caused by that shitty Samsung eMMC that I'm pretty sure they slap in all their phones.

Well i'm a very good teen. Get good grades, has responsibility, and common sense. Also I have a lot of manners.

So i guess good kids should deserve good things. 

It's a shame that stuff like this has become the exception and not the norm.

How about getting the iPhone 5 like us cool kids? :D

I'd rather not have a phone at all. But that's just my opinion on that over-glorified piece of shit.

Ooooh, a 4 inch screen! REVOLUTION. Apple JUST got on the large screen bandwagon, yet this phone had it first: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_HD2. And the ONLY reason that the iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen is because Steve Jobs isn't here to tell them no anymore. But enough ranting....

Who the hell names a road Force Tube Avenue? How about Shades of Death Road? I can imagine anybody who lives on those roads probably doesn't have many visitors. :o

I still laugh at Force Tube Av., and I wish I lived on Shades of Death Rd. just to scare the shit out of potential visitors :P

Edited by rr4567

LOL!  I gotta laugh every time I think about this e-mail... So I've been coordinating a deposition for tomorrow and the interpreter I chose is from Spain but they've been living here in the States for over 20 years and do tons of assignments dealing with Latin Americans.  Any who, the person that needs interpretation services is from South America (Colombia).  I confirmed with the client that they won't have any problems communicating so I get an e-mail back asking me to confirm that the interpreter will bring a "Colombian dictionary" with them tomorrow to ensure that they understand the client!  LMAO!  I still haven't replied yet because the idea in and of itself of a professional interpreter bringing a dictionary to a deposition or any place for that matter is so ridiculous... I tell ya I have to educate people every day about languages... Smh

A Columbian dictionary? How in the hell would work out. Doesn't the interpreter speak enough basic Spanish? I know the dialect is slightly different but it's still the same basic language.

I will say though, the Spanish language has many variants and admittingly they can be a bitch to master. Believe it or not, I find communicating in French to be much easier since there are less differences between countries and regions.

LOL! I gotta laugh every time I think about this e-mail... So I've been coordinating a deposition for tomorrow and the interpreter I chose is from Spain but they've been living here in the States for over 20 years and do tons of assignments dealing with Latin Americans. Any who, the person that needs interpretation services is from South America (Colombia). I confirmed with the client that they won't have any problems communicating so I get an e-mail back asking me to confirm that the interpreter will bring a "Colombian dictionary" with them tomorrow to ensure that they understand the client! LMAO! I still haven't replied yet because the idea in and of itself of a professional interpreter bringing a dictionary to a deposition or any place for that matter is so ridiculous... I tell ya I have to educate people every day about languages... Smh

A Columbian dictionary? How in the hell would work out. Doesn't the interpreter speak enough basic Spanish? I know the dialect is slightly different but it's still the same basic language.

I will say though, the Spanish language has many variants and admittingly they can be a bitch to master. Believe it or not, I find communicating in French to be much easier since there are less differences between countries and regions.

讲 西 班 牙语 .... (I'm non spanish speaking ....), but yeah in thinking about what you guys said I can see some of the ways Dominicans, Puerto-Ricans, Mexicans and South Americans from other different countries within the continent deal with concerning ignorance and racism.

A native Spanish-speaking collegue of mine at work one time told me that he got into an arguement with another co-worker because he asked him "Do you know how to speak Puerto Rican?"  WTF? I tell you my collegue got crazy heated over that senseless remark. He responded saying ".....ummm they speak Spanish, not "Puerto Rican", go get a clue!. Puerto Rico is a US protectorate not a language stupid!". No my collegue never got written up for it, of course, for cursing out the guy because seriously that remark reaks of racism as far as many other co-workers of mine, including myself are concerned.

Us Chinese get similar foolish remarks as far as our language and the variety of dialects that we speak. I can relate. We have some dumb people in this world.

I'm not completely 100% on the Latino experience but that's my understanding on this concerning what my Latino brothers gotta deal with. I hope I got it right.

Edited by realizm

You summed it up for the most part.

And damn, I don't want to start anyone's day off bad but just this week I was about to go off on this ignorant fool making fallacious assumptions of Asians in one of my History classes. While disscussing the internment of west coast Japanese in the mid 1940's he said some stupid shit on how the Chinese and Japanese were similar and some other bullshit on eyes and other appearances.

The whole while there I was at the back of the class making satirical remarks on his ignorance, just ready to go off on him. I was actually asked by the teacher as to why I felt it so serious as I did.

I mentioned that many students in her class were Hispanic and/or Latino, but each have their own individual cultural background as a result of belong and affliating themselves to different countries. I then said that a good majority of people would just label us as "Mexican", which while that would be true for myself and a few others, for some that wouldn't be true for all.

I went on to say why does it even matter and that the whole conversation started because of discrimination based on race, and that we shouldn't be viewing people as different because of their race, but rather us as a united human race each belonging to individual cultural backgrounds.

I'm damn proud to say that I had nearly the entire room appluding and the douchebag that made the original remarks bowing his head in shame.

我 非 讲 西 班 牙语 .... (I'm non spanish speaking ....), but yeah in thinking about what you guys said I can see some of the ways Dominicans, Puerto-Ricans, Mexicans and South Americans from other different countries within the continent deal with concerning ignorance and racism.

A native Spanish-speaking collegue of mine at work one time told me that he got into an arguement with another co-worker because he asked him "Do you know how to speak Puerto Rican?"  WTF? I tell you my collegue got crazy heated over that senseless remark. He responded saying ".....ummm they speak Spanish, not "Puerto Rican", go get a clue!. Puerto Rico is a US protectorate not a language stupid!". No my collegue never got written up for it, of course, for cursing out the guy because seriously that remark reaks of racism as far as many other co-workers of mine, including myself are concerned.

Us Chinese get similar foolish remarks as far as our language and the variety of dialects that we speak. I can relate. We have some dumb people in this world.

I'm not completely 100% on the Latino experience but that's my understanding on this concerning what my Latino brothers gotta deal with. I hope I got it right.

lol... The way in which the question was phrased was ignorant.  What should've been asked was do you speak Puerto Rican slang in addition to Spanish?  Of course they speak Spanish in Puerto Rico, but each place has slang or jargon, just like there's New York slang, and so on and so forth.  

With this $1 MetroCard surcharge bullshit, maybe the system will become cleaner........now everyone's gonna pick up the cards on the floors :P

Well if I'm spending my own money for my own phone, why complain?

There will be kinks even when it's old. Just look at the Galaxy S2 AND S3 and that bullshit brick bug caused by that shitty Samsung eMMC that I'm pretty sure they slap in all their phones.

True, but fewer of them...

A Columbian Colombian dictionary? How in the hell would work out. Doesn't the interpreter speak enough basic Spanish? I know the dialect is slightly different but it's still the same basic language.

I will say though, the Spanish language has many variants and admittingly they can be a bitch to master. Believe it or not, I find communicating in French to be much easier since there are less differences between countries and regions.

LOL... That was the whole point... My point was that no interpreter is going to walk around with a dictionary because if they need one then they aren't good enough to be an interpreter.  They either can do the job or they can't and interpreters are trained.  It's a skill that not any Joe Schmoe can do, whether you are a native speaker of the language or not.  Now yes of course, Spanish can vary from country to country, but those are regional differences and differences from country to country.  But 90% of Spanish is pretty much the same.  It's just like English.  English terms will vary from state to state and even city to city and of course from country to country, but for the most part folks that speak English can generally understand each other.  A dialect is one thing but that's not the same as jargon.  

And damn, I don't want to start anyone's day off bad but just this week I was about to go off on this ignorant fool making fallacious assumptions of Asians in one of my History classes. While disscussing the internment of west coast Japanese in the mid 1940's he said some stupid shit on how the Chinese and Japanese were similar and some other bullshit on eyes and other appearances.

The whole while there I was at the back of the class making satirical remarks on his ignorance, just ready to go off on him. I was actually asked by the teacher as to why I felt it so serious as I did.

I mentioned that many students in her class were Hispanic and/or Latino, but each have their own individual cultural background as a result of belong and affliating themselves to different countries. I then said that a good majority of people would just label us as "Mexican", which while that would be true for myself and a few others, for some that wouldn't be true for all.

I went on to say why does it even matter and that the whole conversation started because of discrimination based on race, and that we shouldn't be viewing people as different because of their race, but rather us as a united human race each belonging to individual cultural backgrounds.

I'm damn proud to say that I had nearly the entire room appluding and the douchebag that made the original remarks bowing his head in shame.

Good for you, I'm sick of racists that does that shit about mocking asians because of you eyes and stuff and a good point about the Hispanic/Mexican thing. So I applaud you for your speech on the discrimination issue.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Plus, the longer you wait, generally the cheaper the thing gets.

This....

(For the life of me, I still don't get the hype over those beats by dre headphones.... I still use the earplugs that came with my mp3 player; hell I look like buying headphones that run you about a benjamin or two, FOH....)

I'm not one of these people that camp out on the streets to get something either.... I smh everytime I pass by people I come across doing that..... I can honestly say that growing up, I was never one of these kids that had to be the first to get something..... It's not in my nature to brag (even though I was spoiled), be envious of anyone, or feel anymore validated (as opposed to a cornball if you were "late" on coppin something) because I got something before someone else.... I got hit with those shaming tactics (especially when it came to sneakers), but I never let it get to me..... Never owned a pair of Jordans & never will.

Who the hell names a road Force Tube Avenue? How about Shades of Death Road? I can imagine anybody who lives on those roads probably doesn't have many visitors. :o

The extension of highland blvd.... that's one of the first streets I notice whenever I take the Q56 to/from B'way junction (force tube)....

Yeah, it is an odd sounding street name....

Lol @ shades of death road... There's a street upstate that's named blood pond rd IIRC....

How about 1313 Mockingbird Lane? Anybody get the reference? :)

Sure do... lol...

Good for you, I'm sick of racists that does that shit about mocking asians because of you eyes and stuff and a good point about the Hispanic/Mexican thing. So I applaud you for your speech on the discrimination issue.

...one of many things I do not miss about college - The racist f**ks you wanna jump up & beat the living snot out of.

@ Turbo19 & VG8: Thanks! Glad to know that I can understand the dillemna of my Latino brothers somewhat.

Oh man. Tell me about it. The racism us Chinese have to go through (And all Asians in general) can go deep, and really for many Asian men and women, the damage from dealing with perpertrated stereotypes as reflected in American society can be f**king sickening. I've seen my asian brothers seriously scarred mentally from the mental abuse from the racial ignorance.

Edited by realizm

...one of many things I do not miss about college - The racist f**ks you wanna jump up & beat the living snot out of.

Uh huh. It's actually happened to me in college where I nearly hurt this guy because of something that happened that was racially motivated. I nearly got suspended for it because I threatened to f**k up his whole family. (Yeah that was stupid on my part but I was really that angry, rightfully so!)

Not the most comfortable of subjects to talk about but yeah, it's real. It is what it is.

*Let me add that I hope I did not upset anyone with my comments, but the reality is that racism is alive and well. Many ppl of color are dealing with fiery trials steming from hate. Reverse racism against whites too. We're all suffering from this social disease as a human family, for real.

Edited by realizm

lol... Of late I've been having lunch in my office, but today I decided to go out and get lunch and get some fresh air...  So as soon as I get out and start walking and cut through this park for a stroll, I get approached by an older white woman politely asking me for change, not once but twice... I usually don't say anything unless the person gets smart with me... Anywho after the second time of her asking and me acting as if I was in another world and zoned out, she got the hint, thanked me and moved on.  Not even 10 steps later, another older white woman asks me for money, a little more aggressively as if she was more desperate but still polite... Also twice and then moved on...  As I was walking the thought crossed my mind if the two of them were working together or not...

What I find funny is that whites usually ask me for change the most, followed by blacks and Latinos...  Out of the three though, whites tend to be most polite... Latinos are generally cool, though I've had a few try to play games and the blacks are by far the rudest with their scams and sh*t and usually I have to get nasty with them.  I'm like Christ, do I have a f*cking ATM label written on my head or what??  I want to say that it's because I'm well dressed, but even if I'm just dressed down in jeans and some Italian loafers or something, I still get people soliciting me and I'm the type of person that does not like to be bothered generally and I usually make that known very quickly normally with just the look on my face, but I have to say by far blacks are the boldest.

I remember last summer, I was at dinner outside at this European place (Spanish restaurant) with a good Venezuelan friend of mine and we're there eating and chatting and this black guy rudely comes up to our table and asks if we could spare some change.  The one thing that peeves me is being approached while I'm eating so I make eye contact with my buddy Diego like this SOB and then turned around and told him that he was disturbing my dinner and then he goes on talking about how he doesn't know why he came over there to ask us in the first place and I said yeah I don't know why either as if to say what do we look like your personal bank?

In short, if people are really in need, I will help them, as I have bought food for a few folks that were honest, but it's all about how you carry yourself and I don't take kindly to people trying to scam me because I can smell them a mile away.  The funniest incident I still recall is this older white lady trying to steal my lunch!  I'm sitting there with my orzo salad on the side and had just poured myself a little Perrier and she just reaches right over and tries to steal it!  I reached over and snatched it from near her like WTF are you doing!?!? and scolded her and she looked so defeated. I'm like damn! I think she touched the container, so I was not going to eat that, so I just wound up giving it to her, eating my grapes and my sandwich and going back to the office still a bit hungry because I was not going back to Whole Foods yet again to wait in that long line.  <_<

On a related note, I haven't been asked for money in a while. And the last three times it was the same guy high on dope or some shit. f**k him. He lives in the hood near my school living in his moms house all the while collecting workers comp and other benefits. I recall he was nearly arrested for cat-calling.

And damn, it pisses me off when people ask for money or food while outside or inside a restaurant. It mainly happened to me at this one chicken place numerous times, so I stopped going. Not worth the bullshit. I recall giving this old ass crack head a bag full of change to shut him up because he wouldn't leave me alone. Another time at the bus stop outside the place, I pushed this drunk guy's shopping cart full of can and bottles in the street because he was grabbing at my bag of food. Hope he liked picking his stuff of the street. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm a reasonable person and will give money when I see fit (a woman trying to get her kids some food perhaps) or I'll go as far as buying someone food and maybe have a chat with them. What I despise though are the pushy people.

And onn that note, my bus pulled up, time to go home. B-)

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually thought that Puerto Rican was a language. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people. The same way people think Africa is a country and so on.

This....

(For the life of me, I still don't get the hype over those beats by dre headphones.... I still use the earplugs that came with my mp3 player; hell I look like buying headphones that run you about a benjamin or two, FOH....)

I'm not one of these people that camp out on the streets to get something either.... I smh everytime I pass by people I come across doing that..... I can honestly say that growing up, I was never one of these kids that had to be the first to get something..... It's not in my nature to brag (even though I was spoiled), be envious of anyone, or feel anymore validated (as opposed to a cornball if you were "late" on coppin something) because I got something before someone else.... I got hit with those shaming tactics (especially when it came to sneakers), but I never let it get to me..... Never owned a pair of Jordans & never will.

The extension of highland blvd.... that's one of the first streets I notice whenever I take the Q56 to/from B'way junction (force tube)....

Lol @ shades of death road... There's a street upstate that's named blood pond rd IIRC....

For whatever reason, the kids at my school don't seem to brag about the newest sneakers/phones/whatever. Of course, some people buy whatever the newest craze is, but they don't go bragging about it. Either that, or I'm just not paying attention. Well, in that case, ignorance is bliss.....

And yup, the road's up by Lake George (see here)

=============================================

In any case, I wanted to show this article. They suspended a boy for shaping a breakfast pastry into a gun. C'mon, now. -_- First the crap with the toy guns (from the little action figures and whatever), and now this?

Good for you standing up to the ignorance BS! :) I too am Mexican! Also PR and have Native American roots!

I am so sick of jokes against us Latino folks... (Mainly on Mexicans) I really hate that people asume all Mexicans are illegal... I was born here for the record...

Me too...

This....

Sure do... lol...

I don't either... (On the beats headphones...) I will say this about headphones: I hate earplugs/earbuds with a passion... If I use them, they make my ear hurt quickly... I love the "Old style-normal" headphones... (Lack of a better term) I listen to my Ipod with them... Funny thing is I've never seen anyone use the old style headphones with Ipods besides me lol...

I never understood the need to wait/camp on line for days... Never did that and probably never will...

I too never owned a pair of Jordans... I really don't care for all of these brand name materials... As long as they are clean, fit me, are comfortable to wear and I like them, I will wear just about anything for men...

Glad you get the reference! :)

On a related note, I haven't been asked for money in a while. And the last three times it was the same guy high on dope or some shit. f**k him. He lives in the hood near my school living in his moms house all the while collecting workers comp and other benefits. I recall he was nearly arrested for cat-calling.

And damn, it pisses me off when people ask for money or food while outside or inside a restaurant. It mainly happened to me at this one chicken place numerous times, so I stopped going. Not worth the bullshit. I recall giving this old ass crack head a bag full of change to shut him up because he wouldn't leave me alone. Another time at the bus stop outside the place, I pushed this drunk guy's shopping cart full of can and bottles in the street because he was grabbing at my bag of food. Hope he liked picking his stuff of the street. :lol:

Seriously though, I'm a reasonable person and will give money when I see fit (a woman trying to get her kids some food perhaps) or I'll go as far as buying someone food and maybe have a chat with them. What I despise though are the pushy people.

And onn that note, my bus pulled up, time to go home. B-)

I never give money to folks panhandling... Food it depends on the person (If they look frail/hungry) and how they ask... But money, I don't give money...

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually thought that Puerto Rican was a language. Never underestimate the stupidity of the American people. The same way people think Africa is a country and so on.

For whatever reason, the kids at my school don't seem to brag about the newest sneakers/phones/whatever. Of course, some people buy whatever the newest craze is, but they don't go bragging about it. Either that, or I'm just not paying attention. Well, in that case, ignorance is bliss.....

And yup, the road's up by Lake George (see here)

=============================================

In any case, I wanted to show this article. They suspended a boy for shaping a breakfast pastry into a gun. C'mon, now. -_- First the crap with the toy guns (from the little action figures and whatever), and now this?

The kids I used to go to school with would brag about the new crap they got any chance they got...

If you think that's ridiculous, Take a look at a post I made in the FAIL thread... In the post, I have a link to an even more ridicuolus situation...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

Good for you standing up to the ignorance BS! :) I too am Mexican! Also PR and have Native American roots!

I am so sick of jokes against us Latino folks... (Mainly on Mexicans) I really hate that people asume all Mexicans are illegal... I was born here for the record...

Well the problem is that Latinos are the main folks immigrating here #1 and #2 most of the ones coming here aren't integrating into the American culture and either don't attempt to learn English or cling to Spanish, so that's why this assumption is made. Latinos tend to hold on to their language and culture far more than other ethnic groups. For example, many Italian-Americans my age or younger don't speak Italian while the opposite is true with Latinos born here.  This also keeps the perception going on and I can understand from both points of view, esp. since I deal with a lot of Latinos coming here that don't speak English, are relatively poor and fit the "stereotypical" Latino and need translations done, but also meet an equal amount of well spoken, educated Latinos that are doctors or other professionals coming/migrating legally from their respective countries that need translations done that speak English very well and are very cultured.

For the record, the this group or that group is illegal is NOT a minority thing.  When Italians and Irish came here, they were the so called lowest of the low... We Italians were dagos, "WOPS" (without papers), guidos and guineas and the Irish were the mics, drunkards, and so on and both groups had to integrate into American culture, meaning learn English (many Italians stopped teaching Italian to their kids and Gaelic is a rarity amongst Irish-Americans), learn American customs and show that they were here to integrate.  Some of the Latinos that are here don't really want to be here and are just here to send money back to their countries and if there is no work they go back to their home countries and this is esp. true with a large segment of the Mexican community.  That's what makes it hard to drop the stigma because for every Latino that is born here and is integrated into the American culture, you have another Latino that isn't, further adding to the assumption.  As time goes on this will probably change, but it takes time to integrate and there also has to be a desire to do so. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The kids I used to go to school with would brag about the new crap they got any chance they got...

If you think that's ridiculous, Take a look at a post I made in the FAIL thread... In the post, I have a link to an even more ridicuolus situation...

Read it. To sum it up, it's a symptom of an outdated and utterly broken judicial system. How sad. It reaks of so much fail I'm not even laughing.

Edited by realizm

Well the problem is that Latinos are the main folks immigrating here #1 and #2 most of the ones coming here aren't integrating into the American culture and either don't attempt to learn English or cling to Spanish, so that's why this assumption is made. Latinos tend to hold on to their language and culture far more than other ethnic groups. For example, many Italian-Americans my age or younger don't speak Italian while the opposite is true with Latinos born here.  This also keeps the perception going on and I can understand from both points of view, esp. since I deal with a lot of Latinos coming here that don't speak English, are relatively poor and fit the "stereotypical" Latino and need translations done, but also meet an equal amount of well spoken, educated Latinos that are doctors or other professionals coming/migrating legally from their respective countries that need translations done that speak English very well and are very cultured.

For the record, the this group or that group is illegal is NOT a minority thing.  When Italians and Irish came here, they were the so called lowest of the low... We Italians were dagos, "WOPS" (without papers), guidos and guineas and the Irish were the mics, drunkards, and so on and both groups had to integrate into American culture, meaning learn English (many Italians stopped teaching Italian to their kids and Gaelic is a rarity amongst Irish-Americans), learn American customs and show that they were here to integrate.  Some of the Latinos that are here don't really want to be here and are just here to send money back to their countries and if there is no work they go back to their home countries and this is esp. true with a large segment of the Mexican community.  That's what makes it hard to drop the stigma because for every Latino that is born here and is integrated into the American culture, you have another Latino that isn't, further adding to the assumption.  As time goes on this will probably change, but it takes time to integrate and there also has to be a desire to do so. 

I know the two reasons you've posted... I have a few Latino folks I know that have come from other countries (Legally) and they've adapted pretty well to the US and they've learned to speak English...

English was my first language... I learn to speak fluent Spanish at around 10 years old...

Interesting point bringing up Italians and Irish folks... Now that I think about it, that's pretty true...

Life in Mexico from what I've researched (Also having family over there) is pretty tough (also in other countries) and I can see why folks attempt coming here illegally... Don't get me wrong though, I don't condone any illegal entry to the US whether it be from Mexico, PR, DR, Cuba or any other country... It's surely not the right thing to do seeing as folks either get killed or deported back to their countries...

I guess the stigma will indeed continue unfortunately...

Read it. To sum it up, it's a symptom of an outdated and utterly broken judicial system. How sad. It reaks of so much fail I'm not even laughing.

It is sad indeed... Couldn't believe my eyes when I first read the article... Talk about paranoia...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

I know the two reasons you've posted... I have a few Latino folks I know that have come from other countries (Legally) and they've adapted pretty well to the US and they've learned to speak English...

English was my first language... I learn to speak fluent Spanish at around 10 years old...

Interesting point bringing up Italians and Irish folks... Now that I think about it, that's pretty true...

Life in Mexico from what I've researched (Also having family over there) is pretty tough (also in other countries) and I can see why folks attempt coming here illegally... Don't get me wrong though, I don't condone any illegal entry to the US whether it be from Mexico, PR, DR, Cuba or any other country... It's surely not the right thing to do seeing as folks either get killed or deported back to their countries...

I guess the stigma will indeed continue unfortunately...

Yeah, I was a Spanish major so in additional to studying a lot of Latin-American literature, writers and poetry (in Spanish of course and some in English as well), I also had to study tons of history going back to Spain, their conquest and the formation of Latin America, and of course Mexico was studied pre-1492 all the way to the present day Mexico... What the country was like pre-Columbus, how the country transformed when the Spaniards arrived and how the country has been shaped by its relations with the U.S., so I understand both sides of the fence.  

Carlos Fuentes, who I'm sure you're familiar with, he's written a lot of literature on Mexico, Chicanos, Mexicans and the whole "Latino diaspora" and really tells the story of the every day Mexican immigrant and what they face.  It's a very complex and deep subject actually, but on the same hand, as I said, each ethnic group has to take on the crap that comes with immigrating to the U.S. As far as I'm concerned even the immigration groups that came earlier still haven't quite shaken the whole stigma.  Italian-Americans for example still take a lot of crap.  Our language is often ridiculed and mocked and I've met plenty of Italian-Americans that were ashamed to be of Italian origin, so it's something that each ethnic group has to struggle with. Me and an Italian-American friend of mine Angelo are two folks that grew up not knowing Italian because  his parents and my father did not want us to learn it in order for us to assimilate, so we grew up essentially learning it ourselves and eventually studying it formally in college and/or high school, going to live in Italy and really understanding who we were.  

It was really a huge thing to be honest.  I take a lot of sh*t because while I'm very integrated into American society I still think it's important for me to know about my culture, so I most certainly speak with my Italian colleague in Italian at work and I don't care how people look or what they say because everyone else knows about their culture and I sure as hell am going to know about mine and that's how I do it.  

In short it's a struggle that Latinos will continue to have for years to come but as more assimilate it'll get better slowly, but since many of them are less likely to drop Spanish and their culture, it will take longer than it has for other groups.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Good because alot of them are not people who are homeless and infirm but are actually scammers ready to seriously rip people off. Most of them.

They are, that's why if you really want to donate, then give only to the reputable charities like the Salvation army or such. Personally, I favor animal charities/organizations more like the ASPCA etc. 

Edited by Grand Concourse

I've been asked for change a few times on the street and just say I don't have any. That mostly works for me so far. On the train, I just don't look at them and pretend to ignore them. No need to escalate the situation.

Good because alot of them are not people who are homeless and infirm but are actually scammers ready to seriously rip people off. Most of them.

Lol...I remember a few months ago I was at the Wendys by the SI Mall and I almost got into a fight with some homeless guy because he was asking me to get him something to eat and I was ignoring him. He had a cane and a pushcart on him and then he started to stand over me cuz I was thinking he wanted to fight me...next thing you know I picked my longboard off the floor and stood up to him with my board next ti me to let him know that I had a weapon to use if he tried to start something with me. He walked out of the restaurant disgruntled as hell. I laughed it off afterwards.

Lol...I remember a few months ago I was at the Wendys by the SI Mall and I almost got into a fight with some homeless guy because he was asking me to get him something to eat and I was ignoring him. He had a cane and a pushcart on him and then he started to stand over me cuz I was thinking he wanted to fight me...next thing you know I picked my longboard off the floor and stood up to him with my board next ti me to let him know that I had a weapon to use if he tried to start something with me. He walked out of the restaurant disgruntled as hell. I laughed it off afterwards.

Yeah usually in general when a person says that he's gonna "f**k you up", you can usually call it bullsh*t because the punk is nothing more than a bunch of hot funky mouth and cant back up what he says. However if you see that a person is threatening bodily harm and has all the telltale signs (intense bloodshot glare in the eyes, facial expressions, aggressive motions or staging himself into a boxing or grappling stance or reaching into his pocket [for a weapon]) then you know sh*t just got real. But usually people just talking sh*t.

Pardon my french.

Edited by realizm