The R32 Brightliners

EE Broadway Local

They're my favorite cars and I suppose I'll miss riding them, but I'm glad I enjoyed them for years commuting, looking out the RFW, and sitting across from and watching the C/Rs when I was kid, and for the first time thinking... that's a cool job I'd like to do. :P

Actually, I hated them when I was a little kid because the windows on the doors were to high for me to look through them. :(:(:(

• 2 weeks later...
hated them avoided the (E) train for 17 years because of them just a very ugly car in my opinion

You must be one of those Springfield Gardeners. They have a reputation on complaining over older equipment.

when did they use R32s on the <Q> Express and (S) lines?

R32s were used on the <Q> in 2001 after the 9/11 fiasco for a month or so but they only displayed the regular (Q).

The R32's are the Top Best subway cars from the 1960's, My 1st subway ride was on an R32 (E) back when I was a baby, They are to me the best running subway equipment in NYCT, Yeah they are 45 years old but can last another 2-4 years, Its sad how people disrespect those subway cars because their old, Oh well, deal with it, If it was not for Budd.co, You would not be seeing what you see today, That's why the R32's are my top favorite.

My first ride on an R32, as far as I can remember, was either on the (A) or the (C). I'm glad I live along a line that runs nothing but.

R32s ran on the Q local regularly after 9/11. I never saw them on the Q express. I am not saying it didn't happen, but if it did, such was a rarity.

R32s did run on the Q when it was express on the brighton in 1997-1999, from time to time. Although R40Ss were the normal Q assignment at the time, R32s, R42s, R68s and R68As could all show up.

R32s ran on the S until the mid 1990s. They ran in 4 car trains with 1-2 cars keyed out.

Just seeing new R32 pics brings a smile. now those R38s after GOH were fast but too loud. GE did a solid on that model during GOH. Big ups to Morrison-Knudsen for giving us the brightliners for an extra 20 years!(Round of applause)

Heck-to-the-yes!!!

I first rode the Brightliners in the '60's when they were introduced on the (N),(Q), and "T" and "TT" lines. That was pre Chrystie St connection. The BMT Broadway express from 57St-7 Ave (N) and (Q) had them, while the rush hour "T" from Astoria and the Nassau loop "TT" had them too. I could board my train, (Q), at 57th St and actually nod off and still wake up when the train flew between 7th Ave ,Brooklyn, and my home station at Prospect Park. I don't remember them being noisy back then. IDK that when they started cutting the (C) trains at Euclid Ave during the mid-day, back in the '80's, those 4 car R 32s would fly through the Cranberry tube with an experienced motorman. We, in the IRT, really had nothing like it 'til the R62-R62A showed up. I did operate one 8 car consist from 207th St yard to Concourse yard as a favor for a yardmaster I knew and I loved it. I told a TSS about it a few years ago and he told me that because I never qualified on that equipment I wasn't supposed to operate it because I am an A division train operator. I asked my old A division motor instructor about it and he said that "SMEE" is "SMEE", no matter where you go and so what. Heck, the desk trainmaster knew that I was an A division m/m and he okayed it. To this day I'd love to make a trip on the (Q) or NX, just to open it up and see what I missed out on.

I first rode the Brightliners in the '60's when they were introduced on the (N),(Q), and "T" and "TT" lines. That was pre Chrystie St connection. The BMT Broadway express from 57St-7 Ave (N) and (Q) had them, while the rush hour "T" from Astoria and the Nassau loop "TT" had them too. I could board my train, (Q), at 57th St and actually nod off and still wake up when the train flew between 7th Ave ,Brooklyn, and my home station at Prospect Park. I don't remember them being noisy back then. IDK that when they started cutting the (C) trains at Euclid Ave during the mid-day, back in the '80's, those 4 car R 32s would fly through the Cranberry tube with an experienced motorman. We, in the IRT, really had nothing like it 'til the R62-R62A showed up. I did operate one 8 car consist from 207th St yard to Concourse yard as a favor for a yardmaster I knew and I loved it. I told a TSS about it a few years ago and he told me that because I never qualified on that equipment I wasn't supposed to operate it because I am an A division train operator. I asked my old A division motor instructor about it and he said that "SMEE" is "SMEE", no matter where you go and so what. Heck, the desk trainmaster knew that I was an A division m/m and he okayed it. To this day I'd love to make a trip on the (Q) or NX, just to open it up and see what I missed out on.

I was told in School Car a SMEE is a SMEE. A few times as a B Div T/O I have to operate R62A's at 207 St YD or the R33WF cars as Refuse. Now I am quilified on Both Divisions so now its No question I can operate ANY SMEE to a R160. Now I'm a A Div man again!

I was told in School Car a SMEE is a SMEE. A few times as a B Div T/O I have to operate R62A's at 207 St YD or the R33WF cars as Refuse. Now I am quilified on Both Divisions so now its No question I can operate ANY SMEE to a R160. Now I'm a A Div man again!

Come back to B Div. :cool:

These trains have sure done their service, time to put em out to pasture! Still funny how these outlasted the R42s and the R40s LOL! Good old stainless steel!

They havn't outlasted the R42s yet,sure the R32s are older but the R42s are

still running.

Archived