IRT Train Arrival Time Boards Discussion

R32 3348

Guest lance25
i think this city have way to many trains per hour, we should lower the amount of trains and buses. that would save the MTA millions and if we know the time the trains are on its way we can make it on time, just like other cities around the world, we have way to many trains moving in this system i see buses and trains with no one on it a waist of money in my eye. no other city do that.

Just because you see a train empty in one station doesn't mean it remains empty throughout its run. Also, NYC is one of the largest cities in the world. The city needs all those trains and buses to run at small intervals to keep everything moving. The problem with the clocks isn't that there are too many trains running. It's a new technology (for the MTA that is) and anything new is bound to have its hiccups. Just look at the FINDs, we still have errors on some of those.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think this city have way to many trains per hour, we should lower the amount of trains and buses. that would save the MTA millions and if we know the time the trains are on its way we can make it on time, just like other cities around the world, we have way to many trains moving in this system i see buses and trains with no one on it a waist of money in my eye. no other city do that.

The number of people on the train depends on what station and in what direction you are observing trains passing by. During rush hour I don't think any lines have too much service. Trains are packed all throughout rush hour on lines like the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(E)(F)(J)(L)(N)(Q) lines. All of the other lines are SRO at rush hours too. So it's not like the (MTA) is running too much service, if most if not all trains at rush hour are packed or SRO. If you run less trains, then the platforms will be more crowded (to points of danger) as more and more people wait for the next train.

The number of people on the train depends on what station and in what direction you are observing trains passing by. During rush hour I don't think any lines have too much service. Trains are packed all throughout rush hour on lines like the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(A)(E)(F)(J)(L)(N)(Q) lines. All of the other lines are SRO at rush hours too. So it's not like the (MTA) is running too much service, if most if not all trains at rush hour are packed or SRO. If you run less trains, then the platforms will be more crowded (to points of danger) as more and more people wait for the next train.

I'm not talking about rush hour, because yea we do need them than i mean around late afternoon and latenites, and i take the (1)(2)(3)(4)(5)<5>(6) all of them over the years and from one end too the next from brooklyn too the bronx, i been on some that wouldn't have no one on it a few people thats all. and they also need too stop running so many trains on the same line going too same place, like the (N)(W) if we spread out what we have i think it would work out fine.

So at Atlantic, I assume there are no displays in the concourse area under the IRT platforms? That might be one place where those signs could be useful being that folks are often confused at certain times whether the (4) is coming in on the exp or lcl platform.

Yep, There are currently no displays under the concourse area. I'm not so sure if there is the electronic LED board signs put up when you enter at Atlantic Terminal entrance in Atlantic Avenue. That will be a major convenient except MTA is a wasting money in this $ h!tty economy when they are cutting services and personal.

--------------------------

As of right now some updates... Atlantic Avenue, President St, Winthrop St, Beverly Road and Flatbush Avenue on the numbered lines is offline for automatic announcements and electronic LED board signs.

Currently at Franklin Avenue, the electronic LED board is down, the automatic announcements work some what accurate at most of the times.

Yep, There are currently no displays under the concourse area. I'm not so sure if there is the electronic LED board signs put up when you enter at Atlantic Terminal entrance in Atlantic Avenue. That will be a major convenient except MTA is a wasting money in this $ h!tty economy when they are cutting services and personal.

--------------------------

As of right now some updates... Atlantic Avenue, President St, Winthrop St, Beverly Road and Flatbush Avenue on the numbered lines is offline for automatic announcements and electronic LED board signs.

Currently at Franklin Avenue, the electronic LED board is down, the automatic announcements work some what accurate at most of the times.

they didnt put them up in the concourse are because of the construction that was being done there at Atlantic ave. but being that they have finished the work now they may put them up after they finish the other stations.

You got that right.Just wish the signs were working also.I don't know why they had to shut down the one by the fare area.It was accurate enough.

I thought the signs at Franklin Avenue are working too, unless you are referring to another station.

The countdown clocks are now on at 103rd St on the (6). I saw (MTA) workers, who looked like high officials, by the turnstiles and they seemed to be there monitoring the clocks.

that would mean i was rite, they are going too have 125th and and 116st on soon than because i saw them working on them last week. oh yea i found out how you can tell when they will have the area on, if you look out the window on the train and pay attention too the wall there is a little red lite that maybe on that will let you know that the area is on and the pa cis system is on, watcher the station is on or not is not always the same but it will give you a good idea of when they should be on. fyi the little red lites are about 10 feet apart and arent on the signals they are randomly placed but you can see them as you pass them between stations, try too check the area where the clocks are on already like bk and around midtown.

List updated as of 05/28/10

Nevins St. (2)(3)(4)(5) -

Hoyt St. (2)(3) -

138th St. (4)(5) - http://twitpic.com/1phjpi

The Bronx

Broadway/7th Ave. Line (1) - None (0/3) (excluding Marble Hill)

Jerome Line (4) - 170th St., 138th St. (2/14)

White Plains Road Line (2)(5) - will get signs by November 2011 after signal work (0/20)

Dyre Ave. line (5) - will not get signs until 2016 after signal work

Pelham Line (6) - All Stations except for Whitlock Ave., Morrison Ave. - Soundview, and Parkchester (15/18)

Brooklyn

Eastern Parkway Line (2)(3)(4)(5) - Hoyt St., Nevins St., Atlantic Ave., Bergen St., Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum, Franklin Ave. (6/9)

New Lots Ave. Line (3)(4) - Nostrand Ave., Kingston Ave. (2/10)

Nostrand Ave. Line (2)(5) - Sterling St., Newkirk Ave. (2/7)

Manhattan

Broadway/7th Ave. Line (1)(2)(3) - 157th St., 110th St., 28th St., 18th St. (4/44, including Marble Hill)

Lexington Ave. Line (4)(5)(6) - 103rd St., 28th St., 23rd St., Astor Pl., Canal St. (5/23)

Flushing Line (7) - will not get signs until 2016 after CBTC and PA/CIS work

42nd St. Crosstown (S) - None (0/2)

Queens

Flushing Line (7) - will not get signs until 2016 after CBTC and PA/CIS work

Stations with the new screens: 36/150 (24% - not counting Cortlandt St. (1), Dyre (5) & Flushing (7) lines)

From what I understand, President St. and Winthrop St. once had the boards and announcements on but neither are working right now. Atlantic Ave. has the boards on but the announcements off. Franklin Ave. has the boards off but the announcements on. 23rd St. (6) may have been reverted back to time/date screens (unless the screens switch between signs). If anyone has any updates with these stations, along with any other new additions, post them here.

Yes.

ill do a vid on them this weekend ima do all of them ones that just came online this week that president st Atlantic ave franklin came back online 103st on the (6) i think 125 should be on some time soon and 116st so look out for them too come on

ill do a vid on them this weekend ima do all of them ones that just came online this week that president st Atlantic ave franklin came back online 103st on the (6) i think 125 should be on some time soon and 116st so look out for them too come on

When did you see Franklin online again?And did anyone else see Franklin online again?

When did you see Franklin online again?And did anyone else see Franklin online again?

i think it was on thursday but if its off now i wouldnt know but i do know that Nevins st and Atlantic ave is on and 103 i was at them today, thats also why i think they will have fordham fd and 125 street should be on soon thye took off the paper wrappings wile i was at the stations.

i think it was on thursday but if its off now i wouldnt know but i do know that Nevins st and Atlantic ave is on and 103 i was at them today, thats also why i think they will have fordham fd and 125 street should be on soon thye took off the paper wrappings wile i was at the stations.

They tore off the wrapping at Bedford as well. There's a diff between tearing the wrap and actually activating the thing.

Atlantic Avenue and Nevins Street on (2)(3)(4)(5) electrionic LED board signs are currently down tonight.

An unrelated note... Coney Island station now has LCD TV screens located at the the ramp on the platform, staircase to the crew or transfer, or just in the middle of all platforms telling which trains is next to leave. The downside is the LCD TV screens are in the middle, there should be a screen in the front staircase entrance/last staircase to exit.

Archived