IRT Train Arrival Time Boards Discussion

R32 3348

Its only supposed to show the next 2 trains for each line.However when a train is terminating at a different terminal (i.e(5) to Utica).The system considers that a different train and will therefore show you the next 2 trains for that also.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like how the clocks will show up to maybe the next 7 or 8 trains. It's nice to know the boards have a wide capacity but I don't think it's necessary to show more than the next few trains...

Here's how I would do it:

Examples (using different platform arrangements/ number of lines at that platform):

Nevins St or Grand Central: No more than the next 5 trains. (maybe 6 max.)

Grand Army Plaza or Hunts Point Av: Say, the next 4 trains.

Sterling Street or 18th St: I think the next 3 or 4 trains is good.

Otherwise, you get information overload (like the search overload Bing is trying to counter.)

Being relevant now, Winthrop Street is offline. President St and GAP [no, not that GAP] is up around the clock, but you knew that already.

it shows you the next 2 trains for eash line and if the train is going too a different term than it will show the next 2 for that one as well so it will show up too 7 or 8 but i dont see how that can make anyone go nuts or overload with info its just info. but they may change that in the future this isnt the final look as i heard. i have vids up of atlantic ave and nevins st check them out

I don't like how the clocks will show up to maybe the next 7 or 8 trains. It's nice to know the boards have a wide capacity but I don't think it's necessary to show more than the next few trains...

Here's how I would do it:

Examples (using different platform arrangements/ number of lines at that platform):

Nevins St or Grand Central: No more than the next 5 trains. (maybe 6 max.)

Grand Army Plaza or Hunts Point Av: Say, the next 4 trains.

Sterling Street or 18th St: I think the next 3 or 4 trains is good.

Otherwise, you get information overload (like the search overload Bing is trying to counter.)

Being relevant now, Winthrop Street is offline. President St and GAP [no, not that GAP] is up around the clock, but you knew that already.

I have to LOL. I don't mean to be rude, but let's be pragmatic about this. The MTA has a long history with "up-to-date" technology, and the Metrocards are testimony to that. Even its ability to show the next 2 or 3 trains ACCURATELY should be considered worth mentioning. Besides, most real time information displays around the world just show 2-4 trains. This is not an intercity rail system where a litany of trains ought to be shown.

List updated as of 06/08/10

Franklin Ave. (2)(3)(4)(5) Confirmation - http://twitpic.com/1twmtt

Nevins St. (2)(3)(4)(5) Confirmation - http://twitpic.com/1tw3mu

Grand Army Plaza (2)(3) - http://twitpic.com/1tb01f

Atlantic Ave. (2)(3)(4)(5), Boards Only confirmation -

President St. (2)(5) - http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisjct#p/u/11/_StKSbtKn74

The Bronx

Broadway/7th Ave. Line (1) - None (0/3) (excluding Marble Hill)

Jerome Line (4) - 170th St., 138th St. (2/14)

White Plains Road Line (2)(5) - will get signs by November 2011 after signal work (0/20)

Dyre Ave. line (5) - will not get signs until 2016 after signal work

Pelham Line (6) - All Stations except for Whitlock Ave., Morrison Ave. - Soundview, and Parkchester (15/18)

Brooklyn

Eastern Parkway Line (2)(3)(4)(5) - All Stations except for Clark St. and Borough Hall (7/9)

New Lots Ave. Line (3)(4) - Nostrand Ave., Kingston Ave. (2/10)

Nostrand Ave. Line (2)(5) - President St., Sterling St., Newkirk Ave. (3/7)

Manhattan

Broadway/7th Ave. Line (1)(2)(3) - 157th St., 110th St., 28th St., 18th St. (4/44, including Marble Hill)

Lexington Ave. Line (4)(5)(6) - 103rd St., 28th St., 23rd St., Astor Pl., Canal St. (5/23)

Flushing Line (7) - will not get signs until 2016 after CBTC and PA/CIS work

42nd St. Crosstown (S) - None (0/2)

Queens

Flushing Line (7) - will not get signs until 2016 after CBTC and PA/CIS work

Stations with the new screens: 38/150 (25%) - not counting Cortlandt St. (1), Dyre (5) & Flushing (7) lines)

Sorry I haven't been able to get an updated list out more recently, guys. I haven't been on the forums much since I've had to study for the SAT II Chemistry. I'm back on now that that's over with.

Atlantic Ave. has the boards on but the announcements off. They are currently working on the announcements and they should be on soon. Franklin Ave. should be working at 100%. If anyone has any updates with these stations, along with any other new additions, post them here. BTW, can a mod please sticky this thread?

I think the signs can show only up to 9 trains.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.Because technically at Franklin upper level sign should show at rush hour at least 16 trains.(4 subway lines times next 2 trains in both directions=16 trains).

Chris did you go to Franklin.Was it working good?

I was waiting at 59th for a (6) this aft. I saw the sign, partially wrapped. It is huge compared to the other ones. It could show 3 or 4, based on its height.

hum im not sure why that is ill check it out but i don't know if any are more than 2 on a screen at a time.

i was just at Burnside ave on the jerome ave line 4 i just saw and was talking too the techs working on the pa cis and they told me that the hole line is just about done. all stations should be on next week that fordham rd 176 183 and mt eden ave and Mosholu Parkway 161st 149th and burnside will be on in 3 weeks, i just did a vid of that hole thing on my youtube so check it out

hum im not sure why that is ill check it out but i don't know if any are more than 2 on a screen at a time.

i was just at Burnside ave on the jerome ave line 4 i just saw and was talking too the techs working on the pa cis and they told me that the hole line is just about done. all stations should be on next week that fordham rd 176 183 and mt eden ave and Mosholu Parkway 161st 149th and burnside will be on in 3 weeks, i just did a vid of that hole thing on my youtube so check it out

I'll take your word for now

Nice.

But I wish they would have used full color LED's, like have been appearing on LOTTO machines. Then, the basic text could be white (with perhaps a pink or blue tint depending on the primary green used, and how the colors are mixed).

Even with the RyG only, since the IRT mainline only has red and green; I wonder why they don't make the bullets the line color. I first got into LED's when I saw the R110A signs, and now they're not even using they're color capacity.

Nice.

But I wish they would have used full color LED's, like have been appearing on LOTTO machines. Then, the basic text could be white (with perhaps a pink or blue tint depending on the primary green used, and how the colors are mixed).

Even with the RyG only, since the IRT mainline only has red and green; I wonder why they don't make the bullets the line color. I first got into LED's when I saw the R110A signs, and now they're not even using they're color capacity.

Perhaps readiblity? Idk. It's one of those MTA quirks.

I wasn't there that long but it was pretty good.I also was at Sterling and the announcements were not working properly.It would say "the next express(5) train to eastchester"and then it would just stop without finishing.

I wasn't there that long but it was pretty good.I also was at Sterling and the announcements were not working properly.It would say "the next express(5) train to eastchester"and then it would just stop without finishing.

thats funny they working on the 161st rite now i saw them putting up the clocks

^^^ How is the accuracy of the boards and the announcements at Atlantic?

When each of the boards displayed 2 minutes to the next train, usually the train was actually coming in and they changed to reflect that. Otherwise, they're pretty accurate. Saved me from waiting for an express to get ahead to a (3) I just missed.

When each of the boards displayed 2 minutes to the next train, usually the train was actually coming in and they changed to reflect that. Otherwise, they're pretty accurate. Saved me from waiting for an express to get ahead to a (3) I just missed.

when i was at atlantic ave it was working kinda good but yea i did see that some times it did show 2 mins than it would go too blinking for the train in coming but that is fixed after a few software changes

When I was coming home from school (12:40 PM, I had to leave early) the board at Winthrop Street [at least on the Southbound Platform] was on!! It's one of the smaller boards. But I don't have any pictures or anything... and it might be turned off eventually, so you'll have my word for it. The clock at Beverly Rd on the Southbound platform is still mostly wrapped! :cry: I think that's the only station on Nostrand Av with a clock still in its wrapping.

Archived