My newly made Map

E Local

My new maps, the services of the day (hours,times)

WEEKDAY: 4/26/10

all regular service-

4556400468_f235fb87a8_b.jpg

WEEKEND SERVICE: 4/26/10

no service on the - <6><7>(8)(V)(W)(Y) & (Z)

4556423034_9ca310bcb2_b.jpg

changes:

(M2) terminates at canal street

(:P trains run to its new 158 street terminal

(G) trains extended to 179 street

(K) trains run

LATE NIGHT SERVICE: 4/26/10

no service on the <6><7>(8)(K)(S) (42 street)(V)(W)(Y) & (Z)

changes:

(M2) trains run as the myrtle avenue shuttle

(5) trains run to grand central via Lexington avenue express

(3) trains run the 34 street via 7th avenue express

(Q) trains run to times square

(:P trains run to its new terminal, 158 street & run local in Brooklyn

(R) trains run as the bay ridge shuttle

(A)(E)(4)(2) trains run local

(C) trains run as the liberty avenue shuttle

4555770185_f0962b2308_b.jpg

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of your lines appear to be arbitrary and mostly within the existing system rather than massive expansions. Would you like to explain the reasons you chose the line rearrangements the way you did? I'm curious concerning what makes you settle for service patterns like (G) express and (F) local east of Forest Hills. There are a lot of comments to be made, and I'm not sure if it's appropriate to make criticism until I know your goal for this system.

It's impossible for the (3) to run express between Franklin Av to Utica Av and the (4) local, unless you doing something different.

It is possible for the (3) & (4) to switch roles in Brooklyn, they both switch before stopping at Atlantic avenue

The connection from Brook Avenue to Astoria won't work unless you run the trains via Randalls Island.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Astoria-Ditmars+Blvd+Station,+New+York,+NY&daddr=E+177th+St+-+Parkchester+Station&hl=en&geocode=Fb8xbgIdTjaY-ykLDGG8Z1_CiTGXpg8JXlQ-mA%3BCWfxuPeRLfAOFZ8PbwIdx_GY-yGaQxuaFzEipQ&mra=pe&mrcr=0&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=04%2F27%2F10&time=4:07pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=40.806829,-73.884533&sspn=0.075881,0.110378&ie=UTF8&ll=40.791745,-73.91544&spn=0.08237,0.10546&start=0&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=Astoria-Ditmars+Blvd+Station,+New+York,+NY&daddr=E+177th+St+-+Parkchester+Station&hl=en&geocode=Fb8xbgIdTjaY-ykLDGG8Z1_CiTGXpg8JXlQ-mA%3BCWfxuPeRLfAOFZ8PbwIdx_GY-yGaQxuaFzEipQ&mra=pe&mrcr=0&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=04%2F27%2F10&time=4:07pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=40.806829,-73.884533&sspn=0.075881,0.110378&ie=UTF8&ll=40.791745,-73.91544&spn=0.08237,0.10546&start=0" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

The B is Parkchester, the A is Astoria, and Brook Avenue is where Mott Haven is written on the map.

It is possible for the (3) & (4) to switch roles in Brooklyn, they both switch before stopping at Atlantic avenue

Why would you want to do that?

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to make criticism until I know your goal for this system.

…but I'll voice my gripes with the map anyway since it sets off so many alarms in my head:

• The (3), an express service, actually takes longer to run between 157 Street and 96 Street than the (1), a local service.

• The (4)'s extension to 233 Street is nearly useless. On the right people have to walk nearly 800 ft before reaching just the tip of the nearby neighborhood. In every other direction it's expressways, cemetaries, and trees. (I might be misguided about this point.)

• Running <6> trains to East 177 Street–Parkchester and just terminating them there is a disservice to those who live further away and want a quicker ride.

• As pointed out by others, the (N) and the (W) has a lot of physical impediments to overcome before being able to run to the Bronx the way you mark it down on your map. It may even be physically unfavorable to make those turns as the trrain is required to make 3 sharp turns before running parallel to the Pelham line.

• The little (:P extension to 153 Street is useless. It's flanked on both sides by the 155 Street stations of both the (A)(:P© and the (:((D) lines less than the distance of an avenue away. You also give the (B) way too many northern terminals.

• I hope the section between Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard and Astoria Boulevard is well-designed to conduct the flow of express trains. The map suggests a merge with local trains before <X> trains continue express.

• Unless the junction east of Myrtle Avenue–Boradway has been altered for more traffic, I don't see how the (J), (M), (Z), and <Z> will get along. In it's current incarnation, this service pattern would exercise all but three of the switches with 2 grade crossings, and 1 merge.

• Having the (T) and (Y) terminate at Grand Street doesn't seem like a good idea. Did you not have room on the map for another line in lower Manhattan?

• The (3) and (4) should not switch roles between Logan Street and Atlantic Avenue. Leave the (2) and (3) trains on the local track and the (4) and (5) train on the express track. You cause less problems that way. Roger's Junction is enough of a problem at the present already, but at least there is a justificaiton for doing things that way.

• The Coney Island terminal currently has room for 4 services. You're terminating 6 services there.

• You run a Brighton express (X) service via slowest segment of the Broadway line—Whitehall Street, and you run it local in Broadway. It's also redundant as another Broadway service serves the line already (which also runs to Coney Island, but local).

—Dissatisfied Straphanger

guys if you don't like it, you don't have to give comments like these. there is alot that do maps like these here & you probably give minor comments to them. but me, WOW!!!

…simply because it's hard to see any systematic or orderly design in it. And simply because nobody else said anything on most of the features I remarked about, I said it. You can see it as an insult or blunt constructive criticism, but I only make objective observations.

• 2 weeks later...

…but I'll voice my gripes with the map anyway since it sets off so many alarms in my head:

• The (3), an express service, actually takes longer to run between 157 Street and 96 Street than the (1), a local service.

• The (4)'s extension to 233 Street is nearly useless. On the right people have to walk nearly 800 ft before reaching just the tip of the nearby neighborhood. In every other direction it's expressways, cemetaries, and trees. (I might be misguided about this point.)

• Running <6> trains to East 177 Street–Parkchester and just terminating them there is a disservice to those who live further away and want a quicker ride.

• As pointed out by others, the (N) and the (W) has a lot of physical impediments to overcome before being able to run to the Bronx the way you mark it down on your map. It may even be physically unfavorable to make those turns as the trrain is required to make 3 sharp turns before running parallel to the Pelham line.

• The little (:( extension to 153 Street is useless. It's flanked on both sides by the 155 Street stations of both the (A)(:o© and the (B)(D) lines less than the distance of an avenue away. You also give the (B) way too many northern terminals.

• I hope the section between Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard and Astoria Boulevard is well-designed to conduct the flow of express trains. The map suggests a merge with local trains before <X> trains continue express.

• Unless the junction east of Myrtle Avenue–Boradway has been altered for more traffic, I don't see how the (J), (M), (Z), and <Z> will get along. In it's current incarnation, this service pattern would exercise all but three of the switches with 2 grade crossings, and 1 merge.

• Having the (T) and (Y) terminate at Grand Street doesn't seem like a good idea. Did you not have room on the map for another line in lower Manhattan?

• The (3) and (4) should not switch roles between Logan Street and Atlantic Avenue. Leave the (2) and (3) trains on the local track and the (4) and (5) train on the express track. You cause less problems that way. Roger's Junction is enough of a problem at the present already, but at least there is a justificaiton for doing things that way.

• The Coney Island terminal currently has room for 4 services. You're terminating 6 services there.

• You run a Brighton express (X) service via slowest segment of the Broadway line—Whitehall Street, and you run it local in Broadway. It's also redundant as another Broadway service serves the line already (which also runs to Coney Island, but local).

I know what your trying to say, I will make some of those changes to my map soon.

Yard assignments:

(S) (42 street) Livonia avenue/Jerome avenue yards

(1) 207 street/240 street yards

(2) E 180 street/kings plaza/239 street yards

(3)207 street/240 street/148 street yards

(4)livona avenue/Jerome avenue yards

(5) E 180 street/kings plaza yards

(6)<6> westchester yards

(7)<7> corona/Hudson yards

(8) 239 street/E 180 street yards

(A) Pitkin/207 street/rockaway park yards

(:) coney island yards

(C) 207 street/Pitkin yards

(D) coney island/concourse yards

(E) Jamaica yards

(F) Jamaica/coney island yards

(G) Jamaica/coney island yards

(K) concourse yards

(J) East new york yards

(L) East new york/canarsie yards

(M2) fresh pond road/East new york/coney island yards

(N)E 180 street/coney island yards

(Q) coney island yards

(R) Jamaica yards

(S) (rockaway Park) rockaway park yards

(S) (Franklin avenue) coney island yards

(T)concourse yards

(V) jamaica yards

(W)E 180 street/coney island yards

(X) coney island yards

(Y) concourse yards

(Z) East new york yards

Red Bold donates new yard

• 2 weeks later...

• [*]The (3), an express service, actually takes longer to run between 157 Street and 96 Street than the (1), a local service.

[*]The (4)'s extension to 233 Street is nearly useless. On the right people have to walk nearly 800 ft before reaching just the tip of the nearby neighborhood. In every other direction it's expressways, cemetaries, and trees. (I might be misguided about this point.)

[*]Running <6> trains to East 177 Street–Parkchester and just terminating them there is a disservice to those who live further away and want a quicker ride. Well the pelham line is renovated to 4 tracks. I wouldn't like to wait 8-12 minutes waiting for the next <6> express, wouldn't you?

[*]As pointed out by others, the (N) and the (W) has a lot of physical impediments to overcome before being able to run to the Bronx the way you mark it down on your map. It may even be physically unfavorable to make those turns as the train is required to make 3 sharp turns before running parallel to the Pelham line.

[*]The little (:P extension to 153 Street is useless. It's flanked on both sides by the 155 Street stations of both the (A)(:)(C) and the (B)(D) lines less than the distance of an avenue away. You also give the (B) way too many northern terminals. I just didnt want the (B) terminating at 145 street all times, thats why I gave it a new terminal.

[*]I hope the section between Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard and Astoria Boulevard is well-designed to conduct the flow of express trains. The map suggests a merge with local trains before <X> trains continue express. Yes, Ditmars Blvd is 2 tracks when trains enter, & then the trains go to 4 tracks, renovated to 4 tracks, also you almost forgot that the <N> also runs express with the <X> during the rush.

[*]Unless the junction east of Myrtle Avenue–Boradway has been altered for more traffic, I don't see how the (J), (M), (Z), and <Z> will get along. In it's current incarnation, this service pattern would exercise all but three of the switches with 2 grade crossings, and 1 merge. the (J)(M2)(Z)<Z> do get along, the <Z> & (Z) only use the express tracks during the rush, other times the (Z) runs local, & the (J)(M2) unchanged, also the line from myrtle to marcy has been renovated 4 tracks also.

[*]Having the (T) and (Y) terminate at Grand Street doesn't seem like a good idea. Did you not have room on the map for another line in lower Manhattan? yes I do, On my new map I extended them to south ferry.

[*]The (3) and (4) should not switch roles between Logan Street and Atlantic Avenue. Leave the (2) and (3) trains on the local track and the (4) and (5) train on the express track. You cause less problems that way. Roger's Junction is enough of a problem at the present already, but at least there is a justificaiton for doing things that way. I have the (3)(4) back where they belong

[*]The Coney Island terminal currently has room for 4 services. You're terminating 6 services there.

[*]You run a Brighton express (X) service via slowest segment of the Broadway line—Whitehall Street, and you run it local in Broadway. It's also redundant as another Broadway service serves the line already (which also runs to Coney Island, but local).Well the (N) & (X) are switched in my new map, to give (X) train riders a faster ride & route.

Comments in purple

Guest lance25

Just a heads up: next time you take someone's comments and add your own, you should either keep the same format or make your comments a different color besides purple. It looks like one large blob of text with the similar colors.

Just a heads up: next time you take someone's comments and add your own, you should either keep the same format or make your comments a different color besides purple. It looks like one large blob of text with the similar colors.

ok then

• 1 month later...

My new map is coming soon!! Newer!!

* this map will not feature the 6/28/10 changes

will feature the 2nd avenue subway as:

(Q)(T)(U)(Y)

(Q) Express

(T) Local

(U) Local

(Y) Express

10th avenue subway:

(L)(S)(P)(X)

(L) Local

(S) Express

(P) Local

(X) Express (Local other times)

*sorry luis1985, I got inspired by the 10th avenue subway you made, so I made this one as my own, sorry..

now the 4th avenue lines will feature the:

(:P(F)(N)(R) (sorry Luis again, I just wanted 4 routes along that line to run all times)

(B) Express

(F) Local

(N) Local

(R) Express

*<(W)> trains will terminate at Queens plaza to supplement the (E)(V) during the rush.

*this map will be coming soon!

(Q)(T)(U)(Y)

(Q) Express

(T) Local

(U) Local

(Y) Express

10th avenue subway:

(L)(S)(P)(X)

(L) Local

(S) Express

(P) Local

*sorry luis1985, I got inspired by the 10th avenue subway you made, so I made this one as my own, sorry..

(:)(F)(N)(R) (sorry Luis again, I just wanted 4 routes along that line to run all times)

(B) Express

(F) Local

(N) Local

(R) Express

*<(W)> trains will terminate at Queens plaza to supplement the (E)(V) during the rush.

Umm...does 10 Avenue need a 4-track subway?

Umm...does 10 Avenue need a 4-track subway?

Well my idea for the 10th avenue subway is that since its a Local/Express line, most of the line will be like the Lexington avenue line, 2 levels from 18 street to 145 street

(L)(P)(X)*- Upper level (local)

(S)(X)- Lower level (express)

*(X) weekends & nights only!

Well my idea for the 10th avenue subway is that since its a Local/Express line, most of the line will be like the Lexington avenue line, 2 levels from 18 street to 145 street

(L)(P)(X)*- Upper level (local)

(S)(X)- Lower level (express)

*(X) weekends & nights only!

I don't mean in terms of space, I'm asking whether there is demand for a subway with 4 tracks. IMO, three at most would be fine.

I don't mean in terms of space, I'm asking whether there is demand for a subway with 4 tracks. IMO, three at most would be fine.

I don't know about 3, that sounds like a rush hour term for a line, hopefully the people would command for 4 tracks.

(Q)(T)(U)(Y)

(Q) Express

(T) Local

(U) Local

(Y) Express

10th avenue subway:

(L)(S)(P)(X)

(L) Local

(S) Express

(P) Local

(B)(F)(N)(R) (sorry Luis again, I just wanted 4 routes along that line to run all times)

(B) Express

(F) Local

(N) Local

(R) Express

lmao hey no problem. glad u liked the map and got inspired by it.

lmao hey no problem. glad u liked the map and got inspired by it.

Ok good because I kinda did your church avenue line ((T)(Y)), & the second avenue line (Brooklyn, (X)(Z)*)

*(Z) rush hours only

never mind the 4th avenue segment, I changed it to (D)(N) & (R) lines

(D) Express

(N) Local

(R) Express (Local nights)

Archived