What is the worst terminal for relaying Trains and bottlenecking

nel070

Since i work on the (J) Line and we have this problem usually every day, my follower had it last night Homeless guy did not want to get off the train. Like that Bill Alex and TrainMaster said you call the cops and wait.

Sometimes though control will just tell Essex tell you to change ends at Broad St(Weekdays) Chambers Street(weekends) and go back north(there are switches for that) yeah it jacks up yer follwer because of this...

They should try to eliminate the relays as much as possible, and use both tracks on the one platform at Chmbers on weekends, as well as the southbound at Broad middays and midnights.

As it is, there are always a ton of people on the dropout side trying to go the other way, largely because of the poor signage at Canal, Chambers and Fulton. We don't have much time to be directing these people (in addition to those asleel, bombed out drunk, etc. We have to put off, as well as those trying to go further on the (M) not realizing that's rush hours only, who have to be redirected).

They should try to eliminate the relays as much as possible, and use both tracks on the one platform at Chmbers on weekends, as well as the southbound at Broad middays and midnights.

As it is, there are always a ton of people on the dropout side trying to go the other way, largely because of the poor signage at Canal, Chambers and Fulton. We don't have much time to be directing these people (in addition to those asleel, bombed out drunk, etc. We have to put off, as well as those trying to go further on the (M) not realizing that's rush hours only, who have to be redirected).

Agreed. Relaying at those stations seems somewhat pointless, yet I do understand why it's done in the typical sense...

Astoria-Ditmars is the worst. I gt stuck at Astoria blvd for aleast 10mins everyday. Sometimes the train stays at Astoria blvd for so long and I get out and walk to the Ditmars station before my (N) even gets there.

- (F)<R>(E)(S)(H) (P)(JFK)(N)(D)(R)(JFK)(A)(D)(S)(T)(A)(T)(1)(JFK)(N)

Ditmars is bad too , that terminal cant handle two lines terminating there.

Sometimes the inspection barn at 239 St yard (2), or East 180th St yard (5) needs that particular train back ASAP so they can't be swapped off at Flatbush. Other times they may have swapped some trains earlier and must run that particular train as a (2) or (5) to even things out. Finally, that decision may be made by RCC, instead of the dispatcher at Flatbush Ave, because ultimately it's RCC controlling the switches at Flatbush Ave by the ATS system.That is why many railfans may love the computerized ATS system but all IRT train crews hate it. Sometimes technology sucks.

What's ATS?

How is that even the case? I've seen a video where two trains were pulling into that terminal at the same time.

I have been on the (N) train off peak and waited 10 minutes at astoria blvd to get into ditmars and this was in 1998 before the (W) so i can imagine the bottlenecking now .

Since i work on the (J) Line and we have this problem usually every day, my follower had it last night Homeless guy did not want to get off the train. Like that Bill Alex and TrainMaster said you call the cops and wait.

Sometimes though control will just tell Essex tell you to change ends at Broad St(Weekdays) Chambers Street(weekends) and go back north(there are switches for that) yeah it jacks up yer follwer because of this...

Hmm come to think of it I did see a train leave Chambers to head back towards Jamaica without using the relay this weekend...and there was someone on that train...interesting...thanks for the info

How is that even the case? I've seen a video where two trains were pulling into that terminal at the same time.

That must have been one of 3 reasons...

1. One train was o/o/s

2. One train was the old diamond (W) cuz that went express

3. One train was rerouted to go via express

Both the (N) & (W) go local and use the same track so it would be impossible for both to come in at the same time, unless its one of those 3 mentioned reasons.

I have been on the (N) train off peak and waited 10 minutes at astoria blvd to get into ditmars and this was in 1998 before the (W) so i can imagine the bottlenecking now .

its worse now. I get stuck for atleast ten minutes usualy more. I ride to ditmars every schoolday and it is only getting worse over there

- (F)<R>(E)(S)(H) (P)(JFK)(N)(D)(R)(JFK)(A)(D)(S)(T)(A)(T)(1)(JFK)(N)

Archived