The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

LOL. I go to Brooklyn College. (2)(5) goes there. The (5) doesn't terminate at Bowling Green anymore. Sometimes it does, but it's rare. I normally take the (5) at Chambers Street downtown all the way to Flatbush Avenue. (The last stop.) With the orange (M), I have to possibly take the (M) to Essex to get the (J)(Z) to Chambers Street to get the (5).

Question for my dad though:

With the new (M), can he can get off at Bleecker Street for the (6), but isn't that for a downtown (6) only? He has to go uptown.

Soon...he'll be able to transfer to the uptown (6). Not yet, though.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh ok. Lucky for him then! LOL Does anyone know when there will be an uptown (6)?

Another question:

Will the new (M) be going to 14th Street-6th Avenue? If that's the case, I can take the (2) to school.

It will but you'll be dealing with a Brooklyn Local and will travel opposite your targeted destination in order to get to school. Not to mention that you'll have a block-long passageway if you choose to use the (M)=>(2) option and it will add on more time.

I understand but it's a stupidest service cut I ever heard of. The (M2) is the only train I live near. I have no other options unless to take a bus to the (L) but I don't think I'm even going to consider that option anymore. The 3 trains will be faster than 1 bus and two trains.

Crap! This (M) thing is getting me confused. I guess I'm stuck with taking the (M) to the (J) to the (5). B)

This would be your best solution, if you ask me.

I understand but it's a stupidest service cut I ever heard of. The (M2) is the only train I live near. I have no other options unless to take a bus to the (L) but I don't think I'm even going to consider that option anymore. The 3 trains will be faster than 1 bus and two trains.

Good to see that someone is seeing the light to this service cut. It doesn't help you out in any way at all because YOU are being inconvenienced whereas those who like in Ridgewood have more faster access to midtown by taking the (L) train but are so bent upon having the (M) train which is slower if you ask me.

This would be your best solution, if you ask me.

Good to see that someone is seeing the light to this service cut. It doesn't help you out in any way at all because YOU are being inconvenienced whereas those who like in Ridgewood have more faster access to midtown by taking the (L) train but are so bent upon having the (M) train which is slower if you ask me.

I am being inconvenienced and so are the other people that take the (M2) train with me. That's the only train that is near my house and so many others. I would take the (L) but I don't feel like waiting for a bus and then being cramped in that bus for 15 minutes and then having no seat on the (L). I do like having a seat and I'm so used to getting a seat on the (M2). Don't mean to sound selfish but I guess that's how I have to act. B)

Question for my dad though:

With the new (M), can he can get off at Bleecker Street for the (6), but isn't that for a downtown (6) only? He has to go uptown.

With an unlimited card, he can do the uptown transfer on the same fare. He'd just have to walk up some stairs, then more stairs to street level, then a few blocks, then back down. :confused:

Have you considered taking the (M) to Myrtle Avenue for the (J) to Chambers Street for the (5) to school? At least the (J) will run peak direction express between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues.

Only other option I can think of (sounds long and crazy though) is: (M) to 42d Street-Bryant Park, (7)<7> to Grand Central and (5) to school.

I am being inconvenienced and so are the other people that take the (M2) train with me. That's the only train that is near my house and so many others. I would take the (L) but I don't feel like waiting for a bus and then being cramped in that bus for 15 minutes and then having no seat on the (L). I do like having a seat and I'm so used to getting a seat on the (M2). Don't mean to sound selfish but I guess that's how I have to act. B)

I highly suggest this: If you see a (J)/(Z) train across the platform at Myrtle Avenue and Broadway get on it because it will save you waiting time at Essex Street. Most of the time, (J)/(Z) trains go ahead of (M) trains anyway.

Have you considered taking the (M) to Myrtle Avenue for the (J) to Chambers Street for the (5) to school? At least the (J) will run peak direction express between Myrtle and Marcy Avenues.

Only other option I can think of (sounds long and crazy though) is: (M) to 42d Street-Bryant Park, (7)<7> to Grand Central and (5) to school.

I thought they were getting rid of the (J) express. I rather take the (M) to Essex than the (J) to Chambers and then the (5).

The second option is long and crazy. I mean the (M) is going to make it harder for me to get to school, but I think for my leisure activities, it would be better. Who knows?

I highly suggest this: If you see a (J)/(Z) train across the platform at Myrtle Avenue and Broadway get on it because it will save you waiting time at Essex Street. Most of the time, (J)/(Z) trains go ahead of (M) trains anyway.

Yeah that's true though. I guess I can use that option only if I see the (J)(Z) coming to Myrtle/Bway.

I thought they were getting rid of the (J) express. I rather take the (M) to Essex than the (J) to Chambers and then the (5).

The second option is long and crazy. I mean the (M) is going to make it harder for me to get to school, but I think for my leisure activities, it would be better. Who knows?

In the last batch, they wanted to can it. With this batch, they only wanted to can the skip-stop, but would still be express in Brooklyn. Now, both the skip-stop and the express are saved.

Like I said above, if you see a (J)/(Z) at Myrtle, get on it because the chances are that it will pull into Marcy before the (M) does.

What would be the savings of cancelling the (J) express? Would it be to save money on the switching at Myrtle? Other than that, the express saves money because it is that much less wear on the cars jerking to a stop at 3 more stations.

Just one thing, if you get the (J) at Myrtle, you can take it to Fulton Street. In case there is some kind of delay on the Lexington Avenue Line, you still have the (2) train to Brooklyn. I think the transfer is a little more confusing, though.

I'm looking forward to riding the (M) on 6th Aveenue!

Ewwwww! You wanna ride the (M)? :P

Do you wanna pull on it's pigtails too? :P

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This new (M) will be an interesting sight indeed.

Ewwwww! You wanna ride the (M)? :P

Do you wanna pull on it's pigtails too? :P.

The (M) is a lady, my man. One doesn't ride a lady, one makes sweet love to her. And pulls her pigtails only if she's a pain slut. All of which I fully intend to do with the (M) somewhere in the vicinity of Rockefeller Center. ;)

Tinamarie--

I'm not sure where you get on the (M) but it sounds like your best bet is to transfer to the (J)/(Z) either at Myrtle-Broadway or at Marcy. At both the transfer would be on the same platform; I'm not sure if that's going to be the case at Essex (anyone know?). I know it sucks having to add an extra train to your commute but the switch to the (J)/(Z) shouldn't cost you more than a couple of minutes.

A couple of other things you can try: as NX Express suggested, take the (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and transfer to the downtown (6), then transfer across the platform at Brooklyn Bridge for the (5). Or, take the (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and transfer to the downtown (:P. Take that to Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn and transfer to the (5). I'm not sure which one of these three options would be quickest for you - you'll have to experiment. I wouldn't do the (M) to the (2) - you could do it, sure, but with that transfer it'll take you about three weeks.

Like I said, it sucks that you're going to have to add an extra train but the idea behind this, I think (aside from saving money, of course, by cutting a bunch of train crews) is that more passengers actually want to go NORTH of Essex street than want to go SOUTH of it, so it makes no sense to have three services, the (J)(M2) and (Z) all going south and none going north. So it would make sense to change at least one of them and of the three the only one that really, practically, could be changed is the (M2). I think the (MTA) is hoping that folks will sort themselves out at Myrtle and Marcy, even before they get into Manhattan: (M) riders wanting to go downtown transfering to the (J)/(Z), (J)/(Z) riders wanting midtown service (and lrg5784 was wrong, by the way - the (L) is barely midtown service at all and is completely inadequate midtown service), getting on the (M). Thus making the most efficient use of limited resources. We'll see how well it works out in practice.

As for your dad: I pass through Bleecker Street just about every day and they're doing a lot of work. Supposedly the transfer will be finished sometime next year. So, not tomorrow, but not in eighty years, either. Once it's done it should be a fairly easy transfer from the (M) at Broadway-Lafayette. Until then his best bet is to make his way to the downtown (6) platform and exit from it. The uptown (6) is directly across a fairly narrow street - not a hugely difficult unofficial out of system transfer, as these things go.

Archived