The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

Tinamarie--

Really, your problem isn't the service change, your problem is that Brooklyn and Queens (and the Bronx, too) are so poorly tied together via the subway. If you think about it, isn't it absurd that if you want to get from, say, Fresh Pond Road to Flatbush Ave, you have to go through Manhattan? If this were before 1969 this wouldn't have been the case - there was an elevated line from Middle Village to downtown Brooklyn. (Although I'm not sure how well it connected to other lines.) My prediction is that any subway expansion after the SAS will be in the outer boroughs. I'm going to eat my vegetables and pray to live to see the Triboro RX!

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and lrg5784 was wrong, by the way - the (L) is barely midtown service at all and is completely inadequate midtown service

The (L) is a faster means of getting into Manhattan than the new (M) will be.

This new service pattern is going to fail.

As for the minor issue of the designation: You can blame me, if you want. I went and testified to the (MTA) board at their first hearing, in Flushing, earlier this month. One point that I brought up, and it was a minor one, was that many of us in Ridgewood would like to keep the (M) designation, for historical and frankly sentimental reasons. Since they have to change the sinage anyway it would be six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm happy to see that they listened to me but if they hadn't I don't think any of my neighbors would have been terribly upset.

So it was YOU who came up with the bright idea of having the (M) designation transformed...brilliant, bust brilliant. If the (V) was kept the MTA would only have to cover up the (M2) signs at some stations...now, because of YOU, the MTA now has to cover ALL of the (M2) signs as well as the (V) signs.

So now the MTA has to shell out money to cover EVERY SINGLE (M2) and (V) sign because of an absurd suggestion you made. Give yourself a pat on the back. That's more money they have to shell out...something they DON'T have. Did you forget that?

So it was YOU who came up with the bright idea of having the (M) designation transformed...brilliant, bust brilliant. If the (V) was kept the MTA would only have to cover up the (M2) signs at some stations...now, because of YOU, the MTA now has to cover ALL of the (M2) signs as well as the (V) signs.

So now the MTA has to shell out money to cover EVERY SINGLE (M2) and (V) sign because of an absurd suggestion you made. Give yourself a pat on the back. That's more money they have to shell out...something they DON'T have. Did you forget that?

Why are you getting pissed off at him? I'm glad they kept the letter M :P

(J)(M)(Z) looks better than (J)(V)(Z):P

Why are you getting pissed off at him? I'm glad they kept the letter M :P

(J)(M)(Z) looks better than (J)(V)(Z):P

Does it really matter WHAT goddamn letter they had??? They would have still got the same service pattern regardless of letter.

No big deal its over and final

M has Senority over V.

simple as that

The fact of the matter is: a letter is a letter...is a letter.

What difference would it have made if the (V) designation was kept?

The (L) is a faster means of getting into Manhattan than the new (M) will be.

This new service pattern is going to fail.

Faster at getting to 14th Street and vicinity, sure. But what if you're not going to 14th Street?

I'll give you an example: I live in Ridgewood (as if you couldn't have guessed), my home stop is Fresh Pond Road. I work on Washington Square South, more or less equidistant from Broadway-Lafayette and W. 4th St. stations, both of which will be served by the (M). I suppose I could transfer at Myrtle-Wyckoff to the (L) and get to Union Square or 6th Ave somewhat faster than I can get to Broadway-Lafayette or W. 4th. But any such advantage will be eaten up by the much longer walk I'd then have to work. Also, all other things being equal, a one seat ride is generally better than a two or three seat ride. This new service pattern will cut probably ten minutes off my daily commute so I certainly doubt it'll be failing me and I suspect there are many like me all along the line who won't be failed by it either.

Well, I did it to annoy you. And because a lot of people that I talked to in the neighborhood who couldn't come testify wanted to keep the designation, if possible. There are, perhaps, philosophical reasons that would make that make sense: after all, the only portion of the service that will be solely served by the (M) will be the portion now solely served by the (M2) (Myrtle-Wyckoff to Metropolitan Ave). And the physical makeup of the train itself is going to be changing to that of the (M2). And "M" can be interperted as standing for "Myrtle" and "Metropolitan" and "Middle Village" whereas "V" stands for what? But I don't know how many of my neighbors actually thought of all that. No, they want to keep the (M) because they've always had the (M2), it's been their "private railroad" for years and years and they're sentimental for it. Who's going to be sentimental for the (V)? (Maybe they can revive it someday for a useful service and future posters on these forums can talk about the previous (V) that ran from 2001-2010 and was never very popular.) So I asked. If the (MTA) had said NO, well, no biggie. But they said yes. And, you know what, this is probably as cheap a thing to do as they're ever going to do. We're talking a few hundred decals and some man hours to stick them on the signs. I don't know what the conversion cost for the signage is going to be but I can't imagine it's going to be more than a few thousand dollars, if that. Not even a rounding error in the (MTA) budget. And most of the signs were going to have to be changed anyway with the new service pattern, whatever designation they chose, so six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Anyway, I did it and I'd do it again, so NYAAAAA!

Well, I did it to annoy you. And because a lot of people that I talked to in the neighborhood who couldn't come testify wanted to keep the designation, if possible. And, you know what, this is probably the cheapest thing the (MTA) could possibly do. We're talking a few hundred decals and some man hours. I don't know what to conversion cost for the sinage is going to be but I can't imagine it would be more than a few thousand dollars, if that. Not even a rounding error in the (MTA) budget. And most of the signs were going to have to be changed anyway with the new service pattern so, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Anyway, I did it and I'd do it again!

LOL!

So you admit that you're trolling now? You want to annoy me? Heh...

Don't throw this convo off a tangent because I think the line will fail. Continue taking the (L) because it's faster, even if it's only minuscule.

Faster at getting to 14th Street and vicinity, sure. But what if you're not going to 14th Street?

I'll give you an example: I live in Ridgewood (as if you couldn't have guessed), my home stop is Fresh Pond Road. I work on Washington Square South, more or less equidistant from Broadway-Lafayette and W. 4th St. stations, both of which will be served by the (M). I suppose I could transfer at Myrtle-Wyckoff to the (L) and get to Union Square or 6th Ave somewhat faster than I can get to Broadway-Lafayette or W. 4th. But any such advantage will be eaten up by the much longer walk I'd then have to work. Also, all other things being equal, a one seat ride is generally better than a two or three seat ride. This new service pattern will cut probably ten minutes off my daily commute so I certainly doubt it'll be failing me and I suspect there are many like me all along the line who won't be failed by it either.

Expect the (V) to be reintroduced come three years from now when the Culver Viaduct project is complete.

The (M) is a lady, my man. One doesn't ride a lady, one makes sweet love to her. And pulls her pigtails only if she's a pain slut. All of which I fully intend to do with the (M) somewhere in the vicinity of Rockefeller Center. :P

If the (M) is a lady, then she weighs 350 pounds and has teeth missing.

What would be the savings of cancelling the (J) express? Would it be to save money on the switching at Myrtle? Other than that, the express saves money because it is that much less wear on the cars jerking to a stop at 3 more stations.

Just one thing, if you get the (J) at Myrtle, you can take it to Fulton Street. In case there is some kind of delay on the Lexington Avenue Line, you still have the (2) train to Brooklyn. I think the transfer is a little more confusing, though.

Actually, I think an express SAVES money because less train crews are needed (because of shorter run time).

Does it really matter WHAT goddamn letter they had??? They would have still got the same service pattern regardless of letter.

WHY are you pissed at this? You act like to do this, the MTA is digging their hands in your wallet.

Archived