The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51st St is not an express stop.

OOPS! Sorry. My bad. I guess I need to get the eyes checked. You are, of course, correct.

I still think the (M) (and kudos to whoever got the orange bullet up this afternoon!) will offer reasonable transit opportunities to the Lexington Ave. Line. As I mentioned before, if you need to get anywhere between Chambers and Grand Central you can get on the (6) at Bleecker and be at your destination in not too terribly long a time, and there are simple across the platform transfers to the (4) and (5) at Union Square and Grand Central. If you're going north of 51st you can get on the (6) there and be at 125th in 10 or 12 minutes.

If you're going even further north, into the Bronx, then I would take the (J) down to Chambers and get on the (4) or (5).

The (M2) will become a Sixth Avenue service on Monday June 28th and as such has to become (M). The (M)'s line will also change to orange on that date.

I meant the forum's administrators when I said "they."

I got to be honest -- I don't think I've ever taken the (M), at least not the Myrtle Ave line.

Neither have I... never actually been on a (M2)... I would have a reason to take the new (M). Still waiting to take the (T) lol.

BTW i know this isnt going to be an issue for sometime, but with (W) being eliminated and the (Q) taking its place....when phase 1 of the SAS open's whats going to happen to the (Q) then? is it going to split terminals?

Yes, when you ride these trains just for the sake of riding them... it turns out more boring than you planned.

I would say that if the MTA wanted to cut anything, they should have cut the M15-LTD. There shouldn't be a bus running like a substitute subway. We ought to build more anticipation for the opening of the (T)! -_-

The (M2) will become a Sixth Avenue service on Monday June 28th and as such has to become (M). The (M)'s line will also change to orange on that date.

It will be pretty weird seeing the (M) (the old (M2)) train on the 6th Avenue and the Queens Blvd Lines......

LOL @ all this M talk. Back in the normal days, no one EVER even mentioned the M. Now everyone is foaming all over it. I will and forever will be a fan of M. It was a very interesting and cool ride when the Slants and 42s ran and you can look out the storm door window. The M also contains one of the widest station platforms over at fresh pond which is my home stop. There is just something that is old school and vintage about it when you ride it. Although, the M running Via 6th ave will be interesting because it will use the cut which hasn't been used in decades for passenger service. All I can say is, RIP Nassau ST Local. Picture by me.

img804465160983.jpg

I don't know why they changed the old broen M to M2, and the new one is now M. Isn't that going to change all the brown M's in previous posts referring to Nassau St to point to the orange one now?

I figured the new one would jiust be M6.

Yes, when you ride these trains just for the sake of riding them... it turns out more boring than you planned.

I would say that if the MTA wanted to cut anything, they should have cut the M15-LTD. There shouldn't be a bus running like a substitute subway. We ought to build more anticipation for the opening of the (T)! -_-

I wonder with the M15 SBS eventually being instituted... how long will it last when the (T) is fully opened... And yea the (T) needs to hurry up we need some new blood.

As for the (M)... I think this new route will be way more useful than the two lines separately. I'm looking forward to seeing the (M) on 6th Avenue.

Wait a minute, where's your school? When the change goes into effect you can take the Orange (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and transfer to the (6). I assume you're going uptown since the (5) terminates at Bowling Green, which is just a couple of blocks from where the (J)/(Z) terminates, so why would you be needing the (5) if that's where you were going? Anyway, at Broadway-Lafayette you can transfer to the (6) at Bleecker. Right now you have to go outside and walk around the corner to get on the uptown (6) but they're working on an in-station transfer that should be ready next year.

Off the (6) you can get the (5) at Union Square, right across the platform, and probably without having to wait too long. But depending on where you're going it would probably make more sense to just stay on the (6).

If you have to go north of 51st Street and need the (5) I'd take the Orange (M) to 51st and transfer to the (5) there. I don't know how crowded it would be there but I imagine the further north you go, away from the central business districts, the more space you'll have.

Anyway, those are my suggestions.

LOL. I go to Brooklyn College. (2)(5) goes there. The (5) doesn't terminate at Bowling Green anymore. Sometimes it does, but it's rare. I normally take the (5) at Chambers Street downtown all the way to Flatbush Avenue. (The last stop.) With the orange (M), I have to possibly take the (M) to Essex to get the (J)(Z) to Chambers Street to get the (5).

Question for my dad though:

With the new (M), can he can get off at Bleecker Street for the (6), but isn't that for a downtown (6) only? He has to go uptown.

Archived