The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are going to be screwed when they have switch problem at essex and no M trains can go via 6th ave.

You can say that again. At least the (J) can switch over if needed to, but not the (M).

Another reason why this combo line is ludicrous. The entire railroad would be screwed over if the Chrystie Street switch leads get stuck.

omg......we have it so good, do some of us even know what's precious or a great gift anymore. At least we're still gonna have the subway running during the cuts and people still have a way to get to downtown and midtown manhattan.

You can say that again. At least the (J) can switch over if needed to, but not the (M).

Another reason why this combo line is ludicrous. The entire railroad would be screwed over if the Chrystie Street switch leads get stuck.

What they might do actually is have the Southbound Js come in on the middle track, and switch them over before Bowery, and have the switch set for the cut at all times. The only time the switch would need to be moved is if a J needed to come in against the wall like the M would. Going Northbound, the J and M can come in on the track by the tower. Only thing with this is you would have Js getting stuck behind Ms or Ms being stuck behind Js but it can be managed.

What they might do actually is have the Southbound Js come in on the middle track, and switch them over before Bowery, and have the switch set for the cut at all times. The only time the switch would need to be moved is if a J needed to come in against the wall like the M would. Going Northbound, the J and M can come in on the track by the tower. Only thing with this is you would have Js getting stuck behind Ms or Ms being stuck behind Js but it can be managed.

I don't think the concept of north and south applies very well now that the (M) and (J) diverge in Manhattan. To be efficient, I think all (J) trains will continue running the way they are now. Queens Boulevard-bound (M) trains will run on the same track as the (J) until it's west of Essex Street where it'll switch to the tracks leading to Sixth Avenue. Metropolitan Avenue-bound (M) trains will arrive on the southernmost track, merging with the middle track east of Essex Street. That way, passengers get to transfer to the train leaving the platform first going over the Williamsburg Bridge. Passengers heading to Manhattan will not be affected by delays since the (M) and (J) are already on the same track coming from the Williamsburg Bridge.

I don't think the concept of north and south applies very well now that the (M) and (J) diverge in Manhattan. To be efficient, I think all (J) trains will continue running the way they are now. Queens Boulevard-bound (M) trains will run on the same track as the (J) until it's west of Essex Street where it'll switch to the tracks leading to Sixth Avenue. Metropolitan Avenue-bound (M) trains will arrive on the southernmost track, merging with the middle track east of Essex Street. That way, passengers get to transfer to the train leaving the platform first going over the Williamsburg Bridge. Passengers heading to Manhattan will not be affected by delays since the (M) and (J) are already on the same track coming from the Williamsburg Bridge.
Well, there are multiple ways to do it, and its up the to Tee-Aye.

Once the M operates between MET & CTL, CTL will be the north terminal and MET will become the south terminal. This is a fact. To make things consistent, look for Broad to become the north terminal and Parsons/Archer become the south terminal for the J/Z.

Actually this makes sense because in the B division the southbound tracks are the odd numbered tracks and the northbound tracks are the even numbers. But: .......on the M line M1 track is and has been MET bound (J1 is Parsons bound on the J/Z) and M2/J2 is WillyB bound (currently southbound). So this will put the track numbers to consistency, well almost, as the odd/even flips at Chambers St.

I just realized that the Q38 will be a unique bus route. It will be the only route to stop at 2 consecutive subway stations served by a particular line (Woodhaven Boulevard and 63 Drive on the (M)/(V)) via another station on the same line (Metropolitan Avenue (M)/(V))

I just realized that the Q38 will be a unique bus route. It will be the only route to stop at 2 consecutive subway stations served by a particular line (Woodhaven Boulevard and 63 Drive on the (M)/(V)) via another station on the same line (Metropolitan Avenue (M)/(V))

When the railroad goes down the toilet and the crews finish on the wrong end, this will be beneficial!

Better than finishing up the day at Far Rock when you should be at 207.

It will still connect with the (1)(2)(3) at 14th street

Also isnt there a transfer being built between the 6 AV lines and TSQ....I thought I saw this was the plans with the BOFA tower construction at 42nd and 6

OT: Wow just thought about it, transfering from the 6 AV lines to the 8 AV lines at TSQ will be the longest transfer in the system....

Queens Blvd Line is turning into a majority NTT line since the (M) is running there in June.

Really? :eek: what a birthday gift to me then :P

Other than that, I understand (MTA) is trying to save money and I'm that much against this move at all. As much as some exaggerated the changing of signs and etc. I thought it would cost another amount to change signs.

If its really that serious, pay me to do it lol

...Passengers heading to Manhattan will not be affected by delays since the (M) and (J) are already on the same track coming from the Williamsburg Bridge.

Maybe except for when the (J) & (M) diverge after Essex

Ironically, the Q38 route is shaped in the exact way the (M) train will be in

It will still connect with the (1)(2)(3) at 14th street

Oh yeah I forgot about that

Also isnt there a transfer being built between the 6 AV lines and TSQ....I thought I saw this was the plans with the BOFA tower construction at 42nd and 6

OT: Wow just thought about it, transfering from the 6 AV lines to the 8 AV lines at TSQ will be the longest transfer in the system....

I don't know what's going on with that. The building is finished, but they did not make the connection on the TSQ side, nor the mid-block exit, and all you can see is the beginning of the passage on the 6th Ave side.

The red "exit" globe is up at the mid-block arcade where the new exit is supposed to be, however!

It might not be anything from the papers but, the MTA did place it in their revised proposal - which is available on PDF - about how the (M) is going to replace the (V).

Considering the fact that I live not a few blocks away from the M and I take it into class every morning, its a welcomed compromise.

http://mta.info/news/pdf/NYCT_Revised_Service_Changes.pdf

Just figured I'd throw in a little concrete proof as to where this might be going.

Anyhow, I was looking at those posts prior to mine - especially the one with the set of 42s out of Metro - and all I could do was reminisce. Its funny because, I was thinking that 46s would find their way into Metropolita but, it looks like Queens Blvd. is going to be overrun with 160s now. That should be...well....interesting. lol

It might not be anything from the papers but, the MTA did place it in their revised proposal - which is available on PDF - about how the (M) is going to replace the (V).

Considering the fact that I live not a few blocks away from the M and I take it into class every morning, its a welcomed compromise.

http://mta.info/news/pdf/NYCT_Revised_Service_Changes.pdf

Just figured I'd throw in a little concrete proof as to where this might be going.

Anyhow, I was looking at those posts prior to mine - especially the one with the set of 42s out of Metro - and all I could do was reminisce. Its funny because, I was thinking that 46s would find their way into Metropolita but, it looks like Queens Blvd. is going to be overrun with 160s now. That should be...well....interesting. lol

But it's still the same, new, dumb service plan regardless if it's called M or V.

You are missing a primary point, R46's cannot run on the new line since 600' trains can't fit into the stations, plus 75' cars are banned from the Eastern Division due to clearance issues. The new line, even if they called it the V, has to use 2- 4 car sets of R160's, the same fleet of cars that are now on the J/M/Z.

Don't you think the current V Queens Blvd. riders are going to complain "If it's the same route and stations, why did you have to change the letter designation to confuse us"?

You're drinking MTA's Kool Aid. Since the line stays named the M, there will be countless riders leaving Essex, bound for stations in Lower Manhattan, who will wind up at B'way Lafayette, no matter how many announcements are made, despite signage.

But it's still the same, new, dumb service plan regardless if it's called M or V.

You are missing a primary point, R46's cannot run on the new line since 600' trains can't fit into the stations, plus 75' cars are banned from the Eastern Division due to clearance issues.

Don't you think the current V Queens Blvd. riders are going to complain "If it's the same route and stations, why did you have to change the letter designation to confuse us"?

You're drinking MTA's Kool Aid. Since the line stays named the M, there will be countless riders leaving Essex, bound for stations in Lower Manhattan, who will wind up at B'way Lafayette, no matter how many announcements are made, despite signage.

Re: R46s: You know? I almost forgot about that.

The one thing that I'll never seem to comprehend is why they're going to re-route a line that is in the middle of probably one of the most crowded stretches of the BMT. I could get off the M during rushour to get the F going uptown and - it never fails - there's always a sea of people always getting off there. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people out on the West End line are being shafted out of one train line to begin with.

As for the flock of people realizing that the M no longer goes east after Essex and getting off at Broadway-Laf, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I mean - take for example the people who have lived near Fresh Pond Rd. or Seneca or any other stops along the M that have been served with that designation for years. As soon as they see that train headed north, there is bound to be some sort of confusion.

People in forest hills are probably going to crowd onto the R since it would be the only service pattern in the Queens Blvd. IND that they're familiar with until they get accustomed to the new M so, I'm not exactly happy-go-lucky about it and God knows that there are people in this world who could read a sign and forget what they read a few seconds after but, there are things much worse than this that could have happened.

Back in the good old days, it ran R42s. Now it runs all junk R160s. Picture by me. img79820214bb568.jpg

Where is that picture taken? I heard somebody say Metropolitan Avenue, but it looks like 9th Avenue on the West End Line.

By the way, that train looks like a snake, the way it is moving on that curve. :P

Archived