The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

Re: R46s: You know? I almost forgot about that.

The one thing that I'll never seem to comprehend is why they're going to re-route a line that is in the middle of probably one of the most crowded stretches of the BMT. I could get off the M during rushour to get the F going uptown and - it never fails - there's always a sea of people always getting off there. Not to mention the fact that a lot of people out on the West End line are being shafted out of one train line to begin with.

As for the flock of people realizing that the M no longer goes east after Essex and getting off at Broadway-Laf, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I mean - take for example the people who have lived near Fresh Pond Rd. or Seneca or any other stops along the M that have been served with that designation for years. As soon as they see that train headed north, there is bound to be some sort of confusion.

People in forest hills are probably going to crowd onto the R since it would be the only service pattern in the Queens Blvd. IND that they're familiar with until they get accustomed to the new M so, I'm not exactly happy-go-lucky about it and God knows that there are people in this world who could read a sign and forget what they read a few seconds after but, there are things much worse than this that could have happened.

The point of the merge is because the M was likely going to end up getting cut back to Chambers st 18/5 and you already have a near empty V ending at 2nd Av. Therefore they merge the two lines and cut off the 'ends' and thus the new orange M. The main 'benefit' would be a direct ride to Midtown and the less of a need to transfer at Delancy-Essex.

But overall it will mean a service decrease on the V end because the M runs on longer headways, but then again most Vs had lots of space to spare, so maybe now those trains in Queens will be a bit more filled.

The 'funny thing' about this change is how the M will now serve (M)idtown (M)anhattan.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea if the (M) is going to be based out of 100% out of ENY and not JAM.....I wonder if the (M) is going to stay 100% R160 Leaving only the (R) and the scarce (G) as the only lines that will use R46's on QB, I wonder if the MTA will take this oppertunity to make QB and Broadway Lines 100% R160's with converting the (R)....Ofcourse QB wont be 100% R160 until the (G) is either given NTT or is perm cut to Court Sq...Something tells me the latter is more likely to happen.

The (G) is getting R160's soon, The (F) would have very few R46's and the (R) will have 100% R46's, Also here's a FIND Display of the Orange (M) That I made:

OrangeMR160display.jpg

I saw an R160 at the Coney Island yard with the (G) designation and Long Island City/Court Square as the destination.

Can't they do that efficiently now with some more R46s to spare?

The extra cars will not be the problem, it's if the MTA will ever get over their stubburnness and increase R service - that's the problem. The R has to increase service wise since now it'll have to take on the slack of all the lines that are cut.

Yea if the (M) is going to be based out of 100% out of ENY and not JAM.....I wonder if the (M) is going to stay 100% R160 Leaving only the (R) and the scarce (G) as the only lines that will use R46's on QB, I wonder if the MTA will take this oppertunity to make QB and Broadway Lines 100% R160's with converting the (R)....Ofcourse QB wont be 100% R160 until the (G) is either given NTT or is perm cut to Court Sq...Something tells me the latter is more likely to happen.

Even if the MTA were to make the A and C 100% R46, there would still be a lot of them left over. So the R will still at least be mainly R46s. Only the F and G would be left as the other lines to use them. Jamaica yard will still have R46s unless they were to give them to CI for the R160s [which I highly doubt imo].

Since the R32s don't have orange Ms, I'm going to say it's probably a VERY good chance the orange M will be entirely R160s only [but again my opinion, things can change]. These 8-car R160s will still be based from ENY, but will be stored at FP and Jamaica yard [rather than FP and CIY].

I was thinking that some or even half of the (V)'s R46s would go to the (R) to increase (R) service.

All of the V's R46s will be split - I don't know exactly how many, but I'm sure a good amount will be needed to increase the R.

The rest could be either used to:

- send to the A so the A can send back the AA R46s pairs to make the G 6-car trains again or

- just to retire some R44s strait up.

*note these are just my speculations, not based on any facts.

M to replace the V train, potentially fueling crowding

The cons of the (M) from Forest Hills 71st St to Middle Village Metropolitan has come to light...:eek:

"The MTA is expected to merge the M train with the V, where the line would run as the M from Middle Village in Queens to Essex Street and then swap over to the V tracks on its way to Forest Hills-71st Avenue in Queens. The change will decrease the amount of subway service for southern Brooklyn riders, causing 22,000 straphangers to wait longer for a train and forcing 26,000 others to make an extra transfer for lower Manhattan, MTA figures show."

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/m-to-replace-the-v-train-potentially-fueling-crowding-1.1823232

The cons of the (M) from Forest Hills 71st St to Middle Village Metropolitan has come to light...:eek:

"The MTA is expected to merge the M train with the V, where the line would run as the M from Middle Village in Queens to Essex Street and then swap over to the V tracks on its way to Forest Hills-71st Avenue in Queens. The change will decrease the amount of subway service for southern Brooklyn riders, causing 22,000 straphangers to wait longer for a train and forcing 26,000 others to make an extra transfer for lower Manhattan, MTA figures show."

Then it'll all come tumbling down!

Wait you mean all those guys on here crying about "EMPTY (M)" tying up 4 Av Local and the West End...are now going to complain about Longer waits and more crushloaded (D)'s and ®'s and now the 1 seat ride from West End to Lower Manhattan is now what's more important???????????? I will laugh my A** off!

In anycase if the MTA needs to restore service from Nassau Street to South Brooklyn then just extend the (J) or the (Z) durning the rush and increase the (Z) to provide full service during the rush while it or the (J) is going to Bay Parkway....and what ever line terminates at Broad I would turn into the Broadway exp to Bway Junct.... the bay parkway line should remain all local....Again this is just if the MTA find a need down the line to restore Nassau service back to Bay Parkway.

But I wouldn't touch the (M) again....People are going to get addicted to the one seat ride to Midtown REAL QUICK they complain now, but that will be an after thought soon as they expereince the advantage, and to change it back there will momentous hell to pay.

What I'd like to know is how many of the people complaining this won't work actually use the (M) down there (ASIDE FROM RAILFANNING)?

Prospect Ave is my local stop. I take either the M or R in the morning and prefer the M to the R. I take it to chambers and get the 4/5 to Grand Central. If I get on the R, I am going to transfer at Pacific for either the N or the D. The D to Bryant Park or the N to Union Square and again a transfer to the uptown IRT. I will certainly miss the M in South Brooklyn. It is the easiest way to the east side. Transferring to the 4/5 at Pacific is a pain and it is so many stops through downtown Manhattan as well. I think the M to midtown will be a great success. I just hope we see the J or Z extended.

Prospect Ave is my local stop. I take either the M or R in the morning and prefer the M to the R. I take it to chambers and get the 4/5 to Grand Central. If I get on the R, I am going to transfer at Pacific for either the N or the D. The D to Bryant Park or the N to Union Square and again a transfer to the uptown IRT. I will certainly miss the M in South Brooklyn. It is the easiest way to the east side. Transferring to the 4/5 at Pacific is a pain and it is so many stops through downtown Manhattan as well. I think the M to midtown will be a great success. I just hope we see the J or Z extended.

When the Uptown transfer at Bway-Lafayette/Bleeker is done you can just take the (D) to the (6) or the (N) to Union Sq those will be easy transfers.

When the Uptown transfer at Bway-Lafayette/Bleeker is done you can just take the (D) to the (6) or the (N) to Union Sq those will be easy transfers.

Unfortunately I need to transfer now and will need to do so for the next few years. I do look forward to the day when the uptown transfer exists.

There is nothing easy about the BMT to IRT transfer at Union Sq. The distance to travel is far and people are constantly standing in the way.

What I'd like to know is how many of the people complaining this won't work actually use the (M) down there (ASIDE FROM RAILFANNING)?

When I crash at my buddy's place (2+ times a week), Fort Hamilton to Fulton. Granted, I usually do (D) to Pacific, then (M) to Fulton or (R) to Cortlandt in the morning (I work on Broadway). In the evening, however, going back on the ®'s not an option until at least 2011. The (4)(5) bum rush at Fulton and Atlantic/Pacific is not fun. The (2)(3) commute to Brooklyn is long and slow.

Like many others, I think the (M) to midtown will be great for northern Brooklyn. Just send the (J) or (Z) to 9 Ave for the sake of the 4 Ave line.

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/m-to-replace-the-v-train-potentially-fueling-crowding-1.1823232

AM New York, like the Post, is spitting out one-sided news again just to instigate the public. I can tell you now that the grumbling of (V) riders waiting 2 extra minutes on their already spotty line will not outweigh the joy of Broolynites embracing their faster one-stop commute into midtown. More Bushwickers will opt for the orange (M) rather than crowding onto the (L), alleviating congestion for Billyburgers.

There is some truth in the article though - former (V) riders might have to stand during their commute for the first time. ;)

So how does this save money? Dont they have to reprint all of the maps system wide? Change all of the signs along the old and new route? Sounds like BS to me.

Maps, signs, etc. cost less than running empty trains.

Wait you mean all those guys on here crying about "EMPTY (M)" tying up 4 Av Local and the West End...are now going to complain about Longer waits and more crushloaded (D)'s and ®'s and now the 1 seat ride from West End to Lower Manhattan is now what's more important???????????? I will laugh my A** off!

LMAO, true!!!

In anycase if the MTA needs to restore service from Nassau Street to South Brooklyn then just extend the (J) or the (Z) durning the rush and increase the (Z) to provide full service during the rush while it or the (J) is going to Bay Parkway....and what ever line terminates at Broad I would turn into the Broadway exp to Bway Junct.... the bay parkway line should remain all local....Again this is just if the MTA find a need down the line to restore Nassau service back to Bay Parkway.

Probably 9 Avenue to make the line not too long.

But I wouldn't touch the (M) again....People are going to get addicted to the one seat ride to Midtown REAL QUICK they complain now, but that will be an after thought soon as they expereince the advantage, and to change it back there will momentous hell to pay.

That's true, except for previous times when Chrystie Street was used, people hated it.

Archived