The New M Train

Q101viaSteinway

Wait you mean all those guys on here crying about "EMPTY (M)" tying up 4 Av Local and the West End...are now going to complain about Longer waits and more crushloaded (D)'s and ®'s and now the 1 seat ride from West End to Lower Manhattan is now what's more important???????????? I will laugh my A** off!

In anycase if the MTA needs to restore service from Nassau Street to South Brooklyn then just extend the (J) or the (Z) durning the rush and increase the (Z) to provide full service during the rush while it or the (J) is going to Bay Parkway....and what ever line terminates at Broad I would turn into the Broadway exp to Bway Junct.... the bay parkway line should remain all local....Again this is just if the MTA find a need down the line to restore Nassau service back to Bay Parkway.

But I wouldn't touch the (M) again....People are going to get addicted to the one seat ride to Midtown REAL QUICK they complain now, but that will be an after thought soon as they expereince the advantage, and to change it back there will momentous hell to pay.

I agree with mot of your points with these minor added changes. IMO the (Z) would run between Bay Parkway or Bay Ridge and Broadway Jct. via Lower Manhattan/Williamsburg Local Rush Hours. Midday hours Monday-Friday between appx. 930am-3pm the (Z) starts/ends at Chambers.

Meanwhile the (J) operates along current route as Broadway/Brooklyn express between Marcy and Broadway Jct and all stops between broadway Jct and Jamaica Center weekdays peak direction all day To Broad AM appx. 630am-1130am and To Jamaica PM 1230pm-8pm.

Running the (J) or (Z) the full length between Jamaica center and Bay Parkway/bay Ridge even with express service is too long IMO and subject to delays. Plus by starting the (Z) at Broadway Junction, East NY and other transfering from the (A)(C)(L) lines will very likely get a seat as well.

Just my takes but i don't it will happen right away unless it a proven disater running the (D) along West End and the (R) along 4th Ave alone.:(

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with mot of your points with these minor added changes. IMO the (Z) would run between Bay Parkway or Bay Ridge and Broadway Jct. via Lower Manhattan/Williamsburg Local Rush Hours. Midday hours Monday-Friday between appx. 930am-3pm the (Z) starts/ends at Chambers.

Meanwhile the (J) operates along current route as Broadway/Brooklyn express between Marcy and Broadway Jct and all stops between broadway Jct and Jamaica Center weekdays peak direction all day To Broad AM appx. 630am-1130am and To Jamaica PM 1230pm-8pm.

Running the (J) or (Z) the full length between Jamaica center and Bay Parkway/bay Ridge even with express service is too long IMO and subject to delays. Plus by starting the (Z) at Broadway Junction, East NY and other transfering from the (A)(C)(L) lines will very likely get a seat as well.

Just my takes but i don't it will happen right away unless it a proven disater running the (D) along West End and the (R) along 4th Ave alone.:(

What if the extended (Z) service terminates at 9th Avenue? Then it wouldn't be too long. I do agree that it should start at Broadway Junction and the (J) should run peak direction express service between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue. I also think the new (Z) service should stop at Flushing Avenue, Hewes and Lorimer, so riders there can still have service to Lower Manhattan.

Good suggestion.

The midday riders on the West End Line don't currently have (M) service, so why would the MTA give them midday Nassau Street service?

Unfortunately, the best solution is probably to extend the (J) from Broad Street, but unfortunately, that would make it too long. If there was a local starting from Bway Junction, that would leave the problem of no skip stop service in Queens, making the (E) more crowded.

The easiest solution is to simply beef up (R) service. After all, the (M) in southern Brooklyn is being eliminated, the (W) is being eliminated (so the (R) would need help in Lower Manhattan) and the (V) (or M extension) is having its frequency and train length reduced.

Maybe some of the extra (R) trains could be stored in Coney Island and run via the West End Line to/from Bay Parkway. This would mean that the (R) would be seeing R160s.

95 probably can handle a bit more, and CTL is losing some (V) service, so that will work.

Terminals are plentiful in Brooklyn for the (R). Right off the top of my head I can name these:

• Whitehall Street (capacity for a single train)

• 36 Street (with two to three trains turning around using any of the West End line's express tracks)

• 9 Avenue (using the West End line's upper level express track as a terminal for a single train)

• 59 Street (using the Sea Beach line's express track to store any number of trains)

Prospect Ave is my local stop. I take either the M or R in the morning and prefer the M to the R. I take it to chambers and get the 4/5 to Grand Central. If I get on the R, I am going to transfer at Pacific for either the N or the D. The D to Bryant Park or the N to Union Square and again a transfer to the uptown IRT. I will certainly miss the M in South Brooklyn. It is the easiest way to the east side. Transferring to the 4/5 at Pacific is a pain and it is so many stops through downtown Manhattan as well. I think the M to midtown will be a great success. I just hope we see the J or Z extended.

Why not just the (R) to 14 St.-Union Square, for the (4), (5), or (6)? I've learned with the subway that the least transfers the better. In the time it takes you to walk to and wait for the next train, the one you got off is still on the move towards your destination.

Why not just the (R) to 14 St.-Union Square, for the (4), (5), or (6)? I've learned with the subway that the least transfers the better. In the time it takes you to walk to and wait for the next train, the one you got off is still on the move towards your destination.

Slow via Lower Man, I guess.

The midday riders on the West End Line don't currently have (M) service, so why would the MTA give them midday Nassau Street service?

Unfortunately, the best solution is probably to extend the (J) from Broad Street, but unfortunately, that would make it too long. If there was a local starting from Bway Junction, that would leave the problem of no skip stop service in Queens, making the (E) more crowded.

The easiest solution is to simply beef up (R) service. After all, the (M) in southern Brooklyn is being eliminated, the (W) is being eliminated (so the (R) would need help in Lower Manhattan) and the (V) (or M extension) is having its frequency and train length reduced.

Maybe some of the extra (R) trains could be stored in Coney Island and run via the West End Line to/from Bay Parkway. This would mean that the (R) would be seeing R160s.

A local (J) will always beat an express (E) to downtown Manhattan. It's like cutting a path through a field, rather than following the sidewalk around the corner.

What if the extended (Z) service terminates at 9th Avenue? Then it wouldn't be too long. I do agree that it should start at Broadway Junction and the (J) should run peak direction express service between Broadway Junction and Marcy Avenue. I also think the new (Z) service should stop at Flushing Avenue, Hewes and Lorimer, so riders there can still have service to Lower Manhattan.

Good suggestion.

And you just brought up a VERY good point. If this (M)/(V) combo goes though, Local riders won't have a one-seat ride to Lower Manhattan, they'll have to be subjected to transferring.

This is change we never saw coming. It still amazes me that if the service cuts didn't come no telling how long how Bushwick, Ridgewood and Williamsburg would have direct access to both Lower Manhattan with (J)(Z) and to Midtown with the new M

I'm not happy about this change. The (M) is my home train. With this new change, I now have two sucky options to get to school.

First option:

1) Take the (M) to Essex Street for the (J)/(Z) then get off at Chambers Street to take the (5).

OR

2) Take my home bus to the (L) train and of course I won't get ever get a seat and then get off at Union Square for the (5).

Still deciding which option is better...

I'm not happy about this change. The (M) is my home train. With this new change, I now have two sucky options to get to school.

First option:

1) Take the (M) to Essex Street for the (J)/(Z) then get off at Chambers Street to take the (5).

OR

2) Take my home bus to the (L) train and of course I won't get ever get a seat and then get off at Union Square for the (5).

If it goes through you're going to have to contemplate which route is better. You could also back track on the (L) to Broadway Junction and take the (J)/(Z) so you won't have to worry transferring later.

Just a suggestion.

If it goes through you're going to have to contemplate which route is better. You could also back track on the (L) to Broadway Junction and take the (J)/(Z) so you won't have to worry transferring later.

Just a suggestion.

No offense, but that would be worse. Why go to B'Way Junction to take the (J)/(Z) when I could just stay on the (L) and transfer to the (5) and not worry about a third train? I have to end up going on the (5) anyway. My goal is to get to the (5) to get to school. The average time from the (L) to Union Sq is 20 minutes at least from Myrtle/Wychoff. The problem is that I have to be on a very crowded bus to get to the (L). That's probably what I'll end up doing though.

B)

No offense, but that would be worse. Why go to B'Way Junction to take the (J)/(Z) when I could just stay on the (L) and transfer to the (5) and not worry about a third train? I have to end up going on the (5) anyway. My goal is to get to the (5) to get to school. The average time from the (L) to Union Sq is 20 minutes at least from Myrtle/Wychoff. The problem is that I have to be on a very crowded bus to get to the (L). That's probably what I'll end up doing though.

B)

Whoops, I forgot you'd have to make an extra transfer, no matter what. My bad.

Despite the (L) being SRO, if that can take you where you need to go FASTER, I suggest you take the (L) over the new line shall it happen.

First option:

OR

Wait a minute, where's your school? When the change goes into effect you can take the Orange (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and transfer to the (6). I assume you're going uptown since the (5) terminates at Bowling Green, which is just a couple of blocks from where the (J)/(Z) terminates, so why would you be needing the (5) if that's where you were going? Anyway, at Broadway-Lafayette you can transfer to the (6) at Bleecker. Right now you have to go outside and walk around the corner to get on the uptown (6) but they're working on an in-station transfer that should be ready next year.

Off the (6) you can get the (5) at Union Square, right across the platform, and probably without having to wait too long. But depending on where you're going it would probably make more sense to just stay on the (6).

If you have to go north of 51st Street and need the (5) I'd take the Orange (M) to 51st and transfer to the (5) there. I don't know how crowded it would be there but I imagine the further north you go, away from the central business districts, the more space you'll have.

Anyway, those are my suggestions.

Wait a minute, where's your school? When the change goes into effect you can take the Orange (M) to Broadway-Lafayette and transfer to the (6). I assume you're going uptown since the (5) terminates at Bowling Green, which is just a couple of blocks from where the (J)/(Z) terminates, so why would you be needing the (5) if that's where you were going? Anyway, at Broadway-Lafayette you can transfer to the (6) at Bleecker. Right now you have to go outside and walk around the corner to get on the uptown (6) but they're working on an in-station transfer that should be ready next year.

Off the (6) you can get the (5) at Union Square, right across the platform, and probably without having to wait too long. But depending on where you're going it would probably make more sense to just stay on the (6).

If you have to go north of 51st Street and need the (5) I'd take the Orange (M) to 51st and transfer to the (5) there. I don't know how crowded it would be there but I imagine the further north you go, away from the central business districts, the more space you'll have.

Anyway, those are my suggestions.

Well, that's one con of this combo line: NO direct access to the Lexington Avenue Express, or even the Seventh Avenue Express for that matter.

I'm really starting to see many more cons to this new routing and it ain't just the routing itself.

Well, that's one con of this combo line: NO direct access to the Lexington Avenue Express, or even the Seventh Avenue Express for that matter.

I'm really starting to see many more cons to this new routing and it ain't just the routing itself.

That's because it's a.... service cut. This was not and is not a service improvment by any means and I have no idea why no one seems to get that.

That's because it's a.... service cut. This was not and is not a service improvment by any means and I have no idea why no one seems to get that.
I mean come on, people can't get off a J train and wait for a train to come in behind it and take it to chambers for lex service? How lazy are people nowadays? If you can't do that get a damn car.

I mean come on, people can't get off a J train and wait for a train to come in behind it and take it to chambers for lex service? How lazy are people nowadays? If you can't do that get a damn car.

Never doubt how lazey, dumb, or just plain useless people in this city are. This is why I am in favor of retroactive abortions of many many people.

Truth to that! It's just sad how stupid people are these days that they can't exercise simple logic. Hell for people to b*tch about the letter V replacing the M and demanding the letter M be kept - when the service is just the same is really sad and shows how gullible they are.

Exactly. The M was going to be cut back to Chambers 18/5 anyway. Having the M now replace the V gives the MTA an extra excuse to 'justify' the cut as well as maybe a couple of trains overall.

Archived