MTA Revises Service Cuts

Zman

So now the (M) isn't gonna die, I guess that's the end of the (V) train (2001-2010).

ive seen the (V) train so many times, and not alot of people use it. if they take a (V) train, they run out of that train at Jackson Hts or Queens Plaza to get either an (E)(F) express train. i still feel that the line was pointless. now the (W) however has more riders than the (V). thats how ive always seen it. everytime i take the (V), i ALWAYS get a seat, no matter what time of the day it is.

I agree 100%. As much as I would like to see Chrystie St re-opened, Lower Manhattan, 4 Av (R) and the West End (D), needs the (M) Train.. I oppose as well man..

100% agreed:

i know this may sound crazy, but cant they extend the (J)(Z) (either one) during rush hours to replaces the South Brooklyn portion of the (M)? i know the (J)(Z) has a long line as it is from Jamaica Center to Broad St (Believe me ive ridden that whole line) but did they ever think of doing this instead of just having the (D) via West End and the slow (R) via 4 Av during Rush Hours?

I've never rode on the (J)(M)(Z) lines since I don't do railfanning like that. I mean which is worse; (J) Jamaica Local alone all times or (M)(V) combo. But at the same time was replacing the (W) with the (N) and (Q) really worth over eliminating the (M) in Brooklyn?

Even though, the TA is trying to save money here, if the (M) happens to run the (V) route, then over to its regular route, and is eliminated between Essex St and Bay Parkway, and the TA keeps the (W), they should definitely run some (W)s to 9 Av-West End via 4 Av Local, during rush hours... 4 Av needs the help so much..

Even though, the TA is trying to save money here, if the (M) happens to run the (V) route, then over to its regular route, and is eliminated between Essex St and Bay Parkway, and the TA keeps the (W), they should definitely run some (W)s to 9 Av-West End via 4 Av Local, during rush hours... 4 Av needs the help so much..

exactly. thats what im trying to figure out. its gonna be 2 expresses ((D)(N)) and one local ((R)) via 4 Ave. thats bad as it is. is it that bad to extend the (J) OR (Z) during rush hours to replace the loss of (M) service?

You are falling for TA Bull****.

All they are doing is thinking they're placating people who want to save the M route the way it is now. They're telling the public: "See, we're saving the M, all we're doing is rerouting it to Sixth Ave., we're not eliminating it". As far as the current V riders are concerned, NYCT tells them (except those at Second Ave.: same service, just a different letter designation". Of course, NYCT fails to tell them that they will get an 480' train vs. a 600' train. Now boarding locations at the ends of the platforms on the IND portion will be different and when the railroad goes down the toilet and all trains get overcrowded due to reroutes they will be packed in more.

I don't care if the M runs between CTL and MET, I don't care if the V runs between CTL and MET, I don't care what letter designation they use. I am still against this change. The West End line takes a hit, the Fourth Ave. line takes a hit, passengers in the rush using Flushing/Lormier/Hewes when the J/Z bypasses the station who want lower Manhattan also have to take an additional train just like riders between Met & Central will have to do.

They are making a big mistake. You supporters will see when you have massive crowd control problems at Essex/Delancey.

Mark my words.

It's a CUT, plain and simple, people. A shorter train, with more overcrowding at certain locations. Whether it's called (M), (V), or 15, it's still a service CUT. I can't believe that people out here are foaming about bullets and equipment storage locations when service is being cut in the long run. I thought you guys were smarter than that. As for extending the (J) or (Z) during rush hours didn't the (MTA) tell you that they were CUTTING service? If you cry loud enough maybe they'll throw you 4th Ave riders a bone and run a few extra (R) trains to lower Manhattan but where would they terminate them? Chambers St? Remember there's not going to be a dispatcher there so where else could they go? An RJ train? With whose equipment and whose crews? The line managers are cutting payroll, not adding jobs. And the beancounters have the final say anyway. I'm sure my B division counterparts wouldn't mind a few "Banker's Special" runs but those days are history. Bill sees the whole picture and it looks from here that the (MTA) decided to appease a few riders by keeping the (M) bullet while screwing the riders in the long run. They did the same thing in the A division years ago when they switched the southern terminals of the (2) and (3) lines. For a week or so everyone was happy on the New Lots end of the (3) 'cause they had shiny new R62A cars. They finally caught on by the second week when they saw how crowded those trains were. You see they had a shiny, new NINE car train while they gave up TEN car service on the (2). Maybe history will repeat itself and some extra service will be provided on the 4th Ave corridor but the (MTA) already figures they gave you a bone by saving the (M) bullet, and they never admit mistakes.

And the unused corridor will be unpopular just like how it was since the day it opened. It took the MTA ten years to learn that the cut was a huge waste to build because no one friggin' used the damn thing. And it'll be a failure shall it be implemented, watch and see.

I still think it'll be popular, especially during the rush hour. Brooklyn's demographics have changed since the 70's and I believe that people will warm up to the new service. We'll see after about a month of service since there might be a few people who won't know about the new service right away.

I still don't understand this. Did a lot of people complain about the letter at the hearings? Transit always ignored this area, and the people never complain. Why this all of a sudden? Perhaps people thought they meant closing down the Myrtle line altogether?

I really messed up by missing those hearings!

I still don't understand this. Did a lot of people complain about the letter at the hearings? Transit always ignored this area, and the people never complain. Why this all of a sudden? Perhaps people thought they meant closing down the Myrtle line altogether?

I really messed up by missing those hearings!

One day there was a rally at Broad St. to "Save the M train" attended by the Strappies, TWU/100, politicians and the like.

As I said, the MTA "did" save the M train, just like they asked. They just changed the routing!

Typical deception by MTA. Bait and switch tactics.

After 30 years in the company, and naturally anybody working for any company that long is going to be disgruntled about certain things, I can honestly say today that I am ashamed to admit I am employed by these people. These empty suits (with their huge salaries and housing allowances) work here for a few years at a time, make their mark in destroying the place, then collect a pension!

Whatta scam!

One day there was a rally at Broad St. to "Save the M train" attended by the Strappies, TWU/100, politicians and the like.

As I said, the MTA "did" save the M train, just like they asked. They just changed the routing!

Typical deception by MTA. Bait and switch tactics.

After 30 years in the company, and naturally anybody working for any company that long is going to be disgruntled about certain things, I can honestly say today that I am ashamed to admit I am employed by these people. These empty suits (with their huge salaries and housing allowances) work here for a few years at a time, make their mark in destroying the place, then collect a pension!

Whatta scam!

Don't let it get to you Bill, there's hundreds upon thousands upon other people just like you and I who are against these service cuts. I understand the (M)/(V) sitch, but guess what? It's a CUT! And cuts will always, ALWAYS do harm, always.

It's very ludicrous that the Myrtle Avenue riders can be so selfish. They complained about losing the (M) designation, so now dozens upon dozens of signs have to be changed to give the riders an orange (M) designation. Disgraceful!

After 30 years in the company, and naturally anybody working for any company that long is going to be disgruntled about certain things, I can honestly say today that I am ashamed to admit I am employed by these people.

I can't say that. It was the TA that gave me a well-paying job when others wouldn't, and it was while working for the TA where I met my wife of 11 years. Yeah there's some BS that you've gotta put up with, but that's the deal when you work for the city.

I'm very thankful for what the TA has given me.

I can't say that. It was the TA that gave me a well-paying job when others wouldn't, and it was while working for the TA where I met my wife of 11 years. Yeah there's some BS that you've gotta put up with, but that's the deal when you work for the city.

Zman, don't forget what you've given them too. It's a 2-way street. I think he was referrung to the game being played on the ridership. After a while it becomes obvious that the (MTA), and PA, are more interested in PR and dollars, and the ridership and public in general are being taken for a ride in the long run. Multi-billion dollar capital projects are useless when you're cutting services while taking more money from the public daily. SAS, ESA, (7) extension will all look good to the NEW New Yorkers while the present day public is being priced out of the area because of higher taxes, fees, and fares. Remember "urban renewal"? Services cut throughout whole sections of the city and the people moved out in droves. Then, when everything bottomed out, rebuilding began, except the previous residents weren't included. That's what I see as the big picture, in the eyes of Bloombum, the PA, and the (MTA). Just my 2 cents.

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. Even though I knew my wife of almost 27 years as one of my "customers" at the church bingo I worked at many pre-NYCT years ago, I formally met her on the way home from "motorman" school car in a dark R10 car one afternoon.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your assessment about making a good living, that the house I live in wouldn't be possible if I was working somewhere else. But I do feel that we are underpaid vs. other transit systems in this country and other MTA properties relative to the number of people we transport relative to the cost of living around here. If Emperor Bloomberg gets his newest water rate increase this year, it will be a 48.6% increase in 4 years. We are hated by the public and newspapers. The raise is not what it is because we got no retro for 3 months and are getting 2% every 6 months, so it is not 4-4-3 like the newspapers claim, and as far as I'm concerned, the 3% is in doubt despite what the arbitration panel ruled. We gave up a raise about 10 years ago when they cried poverty, then MTA found $300 million dollars when Willie James was union president.

Yes, I know about "everybody else", but we have to by concerned about ourselves. If MTA had their way, we'd be all living in a tent city behind CitiField when (and if) the junk yards get taken away. This is a labor intensive job and MTA doesn't realise it. They want to take away SA's and administrative positions. The only problem is the latter are DC 37 clerks. No big shots from 130 or 180 Livingston, 347 Madison, 2 Broadway. They need the big shots to make more cuts in hourlies. The food chain has more and more bigger fish than little ones in the pond. The place has too many chiefs and not enough indians.

Im gonna agree here.. Killing the (M) via West ENd/4th Ave isnt a good idea.. Now the people living down there would now have to take the (D) to the (R) and (R) to Canal or (D) to Bway-Laffyette for (D)(M) Transfer..

Instead of just keeping the damn thing..

And causes people to stick to the center of platform from 71st to Bway, plus lead to more confusion for (V) riders...

How so? The only subtracted stop is 2nd Avenue.

Im gonna agree here.. Killing the (M) via West ENd/4th Ave isnt a good idea.. Now the people living down there would now have to take the (D) to the (R) and (R) to Canal or (D) to Bway-Laffyette for (D)(M) Transfer..

Instead of just keeping the damn thing..

And causes people to stick to the center of platform from 71st to Bway, plus lead to more confusion for (V) riders...

And ill cost a bit of $$$ to make these changes, including signs..

Wouldn't it cost the same to keep the (M)(V) Normal then to combine?

Running service costs millions of dollars. Changing some signs does not. The net savings when you're cutting service and replacing signs at 2-3 dozen stations is still positive.

ive seen the (V) train so many times, and not alot of people use it. if they take a (V) train, they run out of that train at Jackson Hts or Queens Plaza to get either an (E)(F) express train. i still feel that the line was pointless. now the (W) however has more riders than the (V). thats how ive always seen it. everytime i take the (V), i ALWAYS get a seat, no matter what time of the day it is.

The (V) train is SRO in Queens, going peak direction. I don't ride the train past Lexington Ave. going Manhattan-bound but getting a seat isn't as easy as everyone makes it out to be (at least in the south half of the train).

100% agreed:

i know this may sound crazy, but cant they extend the (J)(Z) (either one) during rush hours to replaces the South Brooklyn portion of the (M)? i know the (J)(Z) has a long line as it is from Jamaica Center to Broad St (Believe me ive ridden that whole line) but did they ever think of doing this instead of just having the (D) via West End and the slow (R) via 4 Av during Rush Hours?

Because that is merely a streamlining of services and doesn't save as much money as cutting the (M) entirely in Brooklyn.

Archived