R179 Discussion Thread

BMT4Life

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My grandfather works with the purchasing of new trains and told me the following information.

With the R179, it is not a rumor. It will be the option 2 order MTA will purchase later this year. The train is a 75ft. version of the R160. They will replace all of the R44. There is also plans to replace the R46's, but that willl not happen for another 5-8 years.

The R160 will replace all R38 trains when MTA purchases the option-1 cars in the summer due to the poor quality that the R38 is performing. After a few adjustments with the (A), (C), and (E) lines, they will run perfectly.

When the R160 trains are completed, the R68A will transfer to the (A) because half of the R44 fleet will retire in the Winter.

It has been said before that the R68/R68As will not go to the (A). The R44 however will get SMS to expand its' lifespan. The R68/R68As will go to the (:D.

Uh some R68/As will go to the (A) and (C) lines heres why...

1] the (:D line will have too many R68/As you gotta remember the (N)(Q) and (W) lines will be 100% R160. So some R68/As will overflow to the (A) and (C) lines

2]Jamaica yard doesnt need any R68s it will be getting the (A) and (C) lines R32s..

3] Something needs to replace the R32s that just left the (A) and (C) lines.

4]Eastern cant be getting them because 75fts cant run over there. And they are getting R160a-1s.

So its quite obvious that some R68/As will go the (A) and (C) lines....

Uh some R68/As will go to the (A) and (C) lines heres why...

1] the (:D line will have too many R68/As you gotta remember the (N)(Q) and (W) lines will be 100% R160. So some R68/As will overflow to the (A) and (C) lines

2]Jamaica yard doesnt need any R68s it will be getting the (A) and (C) lines R32s..

3] Something needs to replace the R32s that just left the (A) and (C) lines.

4]Eastern cant be getting them because 75fts cant run over there. And they are getting R160a-1s.

So its quite obvious that some R68/As will go the (A) and (C) lines....

I thought it was stated that the 160s will not enter (Q)uincy service any time soon, or at least not at the moment. The (W)iskey will be getting the NTT. So the (Q) then, must keep its 68/68A's...:cool:

I thought it was stated that the 160s will not enter (Q)uincy service any time soon, or at least not at the moment. The (W)iskey will be getting the NTT. So the (Q) then, must keep its 68/68A's...:cool:

I think what trainspot is talking about is when all the R160s are in service. And the option order is finshed.....

Okay so apparently I had too much time today and I decided to read (still reading) the capital program 2008-2013 and (direct quote):

"The 2008-2013 Capital Program

New York City Transit proposes to invest $1.467 billion in new rail cars in the proposed 2008-2013 Capital Program. This allows for the replacement of 500 railcars and the addition of 90 cars needed to accommodate population and service growth. This results in a total of 590 railcars to be purchased. All purchases will be of B division cars. An additional 64 division B cars will be purchased under Staten Island Railway.

The purchase of 590 railcars described above will be executed under two separate contracts. 382 railcars will be bought under an option of the existing R160 contract, bringing the total number of R160 cars in the fleet to 1,662. The remaining 208 cars will be the first of the R179 series. These longer (75- foot) cars will replace the R44 fleet, which was purchased in the early

1970s."

Hopefully that clarifies some of the ideas.

Who will build them though?!?!?! I'm dying to know.

High possibility its going to be Kawasaki if they take the contract. They're pretty swamp with orders now but by the time the MTA places an order for R179s, Kawasaki should be able to take in another order.

Exactly. Kawasaki is pretty trust-worty because you have to take into consideration that (MTA) is not the only company that they serve their HEeavy Industries to. They also make different variaties of Motorcycles as well and they still managed to get the R142As in fairly quickly.

still managed to get the R142As in fairly quickly.

Yeah they got them in fairly quickly but now they are falling apart and have lots of problems. Kawasaki should take thier sweet time with the R160/179s so they wont as many problems as the R142A/143s.....

Definitely Kawasaki!!! They were ahead of schedule in the R160 contract, unlike Alstom. Kawasaki has had a great reputation with MTA trainsets.

Talking about R160s and R179s, does anyone know if they can speed help speed up the 68s, 44s, 46s and 62s in time? I heard we're doubling the speeds at certain sections of the system by 2012. The R160s saved me 3-5 minutes on average already!! Thanks to the Kawasaki R160s.

Definitely Kawasaki!!! They were ahead of schedule in the R160 contract, unlike Alstom. Kawasaki has had a great reputation with MTA trainsets.

Talking about R160s and R179s, does anyone know if they can speed help speed up the 68s, 44s, 46s and 62s in time? I heard we're doubling the speeds at certain sections of the system by 2012. The R160s saved me 3-5 minutes on average already!! Thanks to the Kawasaki R160s.

All of the nyc subway car classes can go the same speed. ive rode the R68s R40s and the R160s on the (N) line and they take the same time to get from point A to point B. I dont know where you are getting this the R160s saved you 3 to 5 minutes stuff from. You just love the R160s a little bit too much....

And when they said speed up the time on certain sections of the system. They are talking about the (L) line with CBTC which will make the trains go faster.....

Yeah they got them in fairly quickly but now they are falling apart and have lots of problems. Kawasaki should take thier sweet time with the R160/179s so they wont as many problems as the R142A/143s.....

They are NOT falling apart...they are running fine...I don't think the redbirds would do any better if they were still here.

They are NOT falling apart...they are running fine...I don't think the redbirds would do any better if they were still here.

Don't bother. We all tried telling him the same thing a while ago but it didn't work. He claims that the (MTA) has a vendetta against the old trians but he himself has a vendetta against the new tech trains.

All of the nyc subway car classes can go the same speed. ive rode the R68s R40s and the R160s on the (N) line and they take the same time to get from point A to point B. I dont know where you are getting this the R160s saved you 3 to 5 minutes stuff from. You just love the R160s a little bit too much....

And when they said speed up the time on certain sections of the system. They are talking about the (L) line with CBTC which will make the trains go faster.....

Actually no, they did mentioned it in the PlaNYC.

I timed it, too if you were wondering. I guess it also depends the time of day you're taking it.

Haha, the R142/R143 are definitely not falling apart. A year's decline in the MTDB does not signify a dramatic flaw. It could be other factors.

Uh yes they are falling apart can you expain to me all those pics that have been posted on nycsubway.org of all those OOS R142/As on jackstands at 207th street yard? And can you also expain all those OOS R143s i see at CI yard? Old trains are more reliable than NTT when the greatbirds and R42 were eight years old they werent having all these machinal problems that the R142/143s are having now.

Actually no, they did mentioned it in the PlaNYC.

I timed it, too if you were wondering. I guess it also depends the time of day you're taking it.

Haha, the R142/R143 are definitely not falling apart. A year's decline in the MTDB does not signify a dramatic flaw. It could be other factors.

First off what did they mention in the plaNYC?

And the R142/R143 are definitely falling apart ive been hearing that they sometimes run up to six to seven R160s on the (L) line because the R143s stupid little computer systems dont want to work right. And not to mention the dead motor problems they had a few months ago.

And what the hell is MTDB?

And what the hell is MTDB?

I think our friend meant MDBF...

and that's the

Mean

Distance

Between

Failures

IINM, A failure is anything mechanical that causes the train to be delayed for more than 5 minutes while in service (or taken off the road altogether)...

Archived