What new routes would you like to see when MTA recovers?

JubaionBx12+SBS

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few ideas for routes in Brooklyn. YOU WILL NEED A BKLYN BUS MAP.

I want to build on some of Shortline Bus' ideas from other threads, I think they're good... Plus some ideas of my own

Shortline Bus' Ideas: [With some tweaking]

A B64 and B70 combination called the B66 Edited to account for the B70 on 3rd Ave

My Routing: Eastbound To Coney Island - Plan 1

1 Av -> 3 Av -> 35 St [instead of 37 St] -> 4 Av -> 39 St again -> 7 Ave -> Bay Ridge Av/Ovington Av -> 3 Av -> 86 St and normal service to Coney Island

OR: Plan 2

1 Av -> 3 Av -> 35 St -> 4 Av -> 39 St again -> 7 Ave -> Bay Ridge Av/Ovington Av -> 3 Av -> Marine Av -> 5 Av -> 86 St and regular service to CI

OR: Plan 3

1 Av -> 3 Av -> 35 St -> 4 Av -> 39 St again -> 7 Ave -> Bay Ridge Av/Ovington Av -> 3 Av -> Marine Av -> 5 Av -> 92 St -> 7 Ave again -> Crospey Av -> 14 Av -> 86 St and normal service to CI

And of course the B86 Brooklyn's Quirky Crosstown Route:

86 St/4 Av to Kingsboro Community College [The B1 would still operate to Bay Ridge Av, but less frequently.) Alternatively, run the B86 to Shore Road via 3 Av below 86 St and run the B66 on 86 St between 3 Av and 14 Av, (Plan 1) but then the B66 would bypass VA Hospital.

Another New Route: B23 *shot*

An extension of the current B23.

Now operating between Kings County Hospital and VA Hospital.

Routing:

Clarkson Av -> Nostrand Av (SB) / N.Y. Av (NB) -> Beverly Rd -> Flatbush Av -> Cortelyou Rd -> Dahill Rd -> 16 Av -> 62 St (NB + WB)/60 St (SB + EB), -> 14 Av -> Crospey Av

My Ideas:

The B95 A Rush Hour/Weekday supplement to the B16 and B35. The B95 would make local B35 stops between Mother Gaston Bl or Kings Highway and 36 St/Church Av. Then it would run down 13 Av and 14 St [southwest and Northeast] replacing the B16 and terminating on 63 St & New Utrecht Av, one block from the B23's current terminal. (changed because of issues with 1-directional streets)

Routing:

{Hegeman Av -> E 98 St -> } Church Av -> 36 St -> 13 Av [sB]/14 Av [NB] -> 63 St

Headaway: 12 minutes AM Rush, 20 minutes midday, 15 mins PM Rush

Operation:

6:40 AM - 7:30 PM

B96:

An inversion the S46 and S96 LTD on Staten Island. During Rush Hours, some B46 local buses operate only between Utica Av/Eastern Parkway on the (3)(4) and Utica Av/Av H. These buses would be extended Eastward on St. John's Av and follow the old B40 route to East NY. Ever since the B40 and B78 merged to the new B47, that neighborhood has lost its main bus route.

Routing:

Utica Av -> St. Johns Place -> East N.Y. Av -> Mother Gaston Blvd -> Liberty Av -> Georgia Av (NB)/ Pennsylvania Av (SB) -> Atlantic Av.

See here http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b040cur.pdf

Headaway:

Every 15 minutes, roughly.

Operation:

6 AM -> 8:30 AM

3:35 PM -> 7:05 PM

Full daytime operation pending

Route accomadations:

B1 service is reduced to compansate for the B86's introduction. Also changed on the map to a Cyan/Light Blue-ish color. [since the B86 is dark blue]

The B16 will now operate on Fort Hamiltion Pkwy straight from Caton Av:

Routing:

Shore Rd -> 86 St -> Ft Hamiliton Pkwy -> Caton Av -> Ocean Av -> Flatbush Av -> Lincoln Rd

B64 and B70 eliminated, replacement B66

New Routes:

B23: Cortelyou Rd/13/14 & 16 Avenues

B66: 7/Bath Avenues

B86: 86 Street

B95: Church/13 & 14 Avenues

B96: Utica/St. John's/Liberty Avenues

More Cool Route Ideas:

A Bay Ridge - Ridgewood Route (The B5)

A Coney Island - Downtown Brooklyn Route

A Coney Island - Triangle Junction [Nostrand Av/Flatbush Av/Av H] Route

A Coney Island - Kings Plaza Route (maybe)

A Bay Ridge - East NY Route

More Ideas To Follow. Discuss.

IDK if there's demand, but here goes:

M25

From South Ferry via West Street/12 Avenue to 34 Street. Then, via 34 Street to 6 Av. Then, via 6 Av to 42 St. Then, via 42 St to 12 Av. Then, via 12 Av to 72 Street, then via 72 St to the current M57 terminal.

Southbound, same thing in reverse, except it operates via 7 Av, not 6 Av.

M25A

From M14A southern terminal:

via Grand Street to Essex

via Essex to Delancey

via Delancey to Bowery

via Bowery to Canal

via Canal to West St

via West St/12 Av to 72 St, then via 72 St to M57 terminal.

M25LTD

Stops at:

West St and W Thames St

West St and Vesey

West St and Chambers

West St and Harrison

West St and Spring

West St and W10

West St and W15

12 Av and W24

12 Av and W34

s-bound stop @ 7 Av and 34 St

n-bound stop @ 6 Av and 34 St

Times Square

12 Av and W42

12 Av and W46

12 Av and W50

12 Av and W57

then makes all local stops to M57 terminal

The M25A looks circuitous. Besides, I don't think people in my area (around the M14A terminal) would want to have such a service per se. Besides, there's still relatively little development along the WSH to warrant a bus route travelling the length of it. SLB is right, the only bus lines that deserve to be travelling along West Street/WSH would be the crosstown buses.

I would prefer a Jackson Heights to Ridgewood route. Called the Q57, it would run on the Q58 route between Ridgewood Terminal and Grand Av (M)(R) station. From there, it would run on Broadway, terminating at 74th St/Roosevelt Av (7)(E)(F)(M)(R) station. As for the Q58, I would have that terminate at 103rd/Roosevelt (7) station via National St.

Q38, which begins and ends a few blocks apart in Rego Park, but loops over to the Metropolitan Avenue (M) station and back. A nice shortcut through Middle Village, but requires either the train, or bus transfer to get the rest of the way to Ridgewood. So the northern half, which goes straight across Eliot Avenue (a 20 minute ride from Metropolitan) would be discontinued. It would now end at a loop Mt. Olivet Crescent, Eliot, Fresh Pond and Metropolitan, (to serve those on this side of the cemetery who would be more likely to need access to the Metropolitan station than those further out on Eliot. Those on the other side of the cemetery would still have the Q67 or whatever might replace it on 69th St.) This would be replaced by either the Q58, rerouted off of the busy Grand Avenue and replaced by something else, or another line, perhaps an extended Q88, which goes along the LIE from the east, to Queens Blvd. The 58 is an incredibly long winding route, on traffic packed Grand Avenue and the meandering Corona Avenue, and often suffers from large gaps due to bunching (because of all the riders). Riding one end to the other from Flushing to Ridgewood feels like getting off a Greyhound from another state! This should either be straightened (and let the Grand Ave. riders have their own route), or at least give us another line across Eliot to Queens Blvd. where the mall is. Exending the 88 might also lure some riders away from the busy Queens Blv. subway to the less used M!

Q39 and Q67. These are the winding routes connecting the area with Long Island City. There was speculation they would be combined somehow, or one discontinued. Since the 39 is the one that comes closest to here, that is the one I suggest straightening out. The 67 could continue to focus on all the little residential pockets dotting the factory belt, and pick up some that would be abandoned by the 39 in my suggestions.

Northbound, the Q39 after Metropolitan would take a shortcut across Andrews Ave. and 59th Pl. (northbound) or 60th St. (southbound) to 59th Dr. and then Rust St. to 48th St.; then along Borden Avenue to Van Dam, where it would take Queens Blvd. to QBP, and then start and end at the Courthouse Sq. 7 station, (perhaps via 21st St.) instead of swinging by there (out of the way) enroute. The current route along Fresh Pond gets caught in traffic, and then along Greenpoint Ave. and 58th St to the BQE is very long and indirect. 48th St, segment can also be slow sometimes, and taking Thompson and swinging by Courthouse Sq. also adds more time. All of this adds up to a very long trip, for the moderate distance actually being traveled. The Q67 could pick up the Thompson/Van Dam/48Av./48St./BQE/58th St. route, and then continue, as current, beyond 58th St.

Then, I would create a more direct route between Ridgewood to the busy Jackson Heights, Roosevelt Avenue hub (or lat least the LIRR Woodside area). This would involve extending the Q18 (and straightening it out while at it). A DOT consultant had suggested extending the 18 down 69th St. to Metropolitan Ave. station to replace the 67, which they suggested reducing to rush hours only. So then I got the idea to just extend it all the way into Ridgewood, somehow. Latest plans have been to extend it to the new Atlas Park Mall (a nice grassy shopping center that looks reminds me of something you would see in Orlando's International Drive, or California), but area residents have been opposing it. (Meanwhile, it is a different through route that does get rerouted out of the way there!)

Also, the area's only express bus to Manhattan, QM24, takes the LIE way out to Rego Park before coming back towards Fresh Pond on Eliot Ave. This I would have leave the LIE at the Maurice Ave. exit, and take 64th St. to Flushing Avenue, and then Fresh Pond, then the rest of the route. Manhattan-bound, they would take 61st St. to Borden Ave. east to 69th, to Queens Blvd. One of the other express routes, such as the QM10 could be extended along the Eliot portion of the line to 69th St. Or, one of them could serve Eliot first, using the same exit at Maurice Avenue, and follow the QM24 to Eliot Avenue at Fresh Pond Rd. and turn East on Eliot. Since this would draw many of the QM24 riders to the other line, the QM24 could be extended via Myrtle to the Union Tpke/Metropolitan Ave/Woodhaven loop (and maybe also the Yellowstone stretch) currently served by the QM12, giving those riders an alternative to the busy Rego Park routing.

Also, the extension of the Q55 from stopping just short of Jamaica in Richmond Hills to continuing all the way into Jamaica, or at least to the Van Wyck (E) station. I was hoping this would be considered when they had planned to discontinue the Q56, but that was dropped.

Q38, which begins and ends a few blocks apart in Rego Park, but loops over to the Metropolitan Avenue (M) station and back. A nice shortcut through Middle Village, but requires either the train, or bus transfer to get the rest of the way to Ridgewood. So the northern half, which goes straight across Eliot Avenue (a 20 minute ride from Metropolitan) would be discontinued. It would now end at a loop Mt. Olivet Crescent, Eliot, Fresh Pond and Metropolitan, (to serve those on this side of the cemetery who would be more likely to need access to the Metropolitan station than those further out on Eliot. Those on the other side of the cemetery would still have the Q67 or whatever might replace it on 69th St.) This would be replaced by either the Q58, rerouted off of the busy Grand Avenue and replaced by something else, or another line, perhaps an extended Q88, which goes along the LIE from the east, to Queens Blvd. The 58 is an incredibly long winding route, on traffic packed Grand Avenue and the meandering Corona Avenue, and often suffers from large gaps due to bunching (because of all the riders). Riding one end to the other from Flushing to Ridgewood feels like getting off a Greyhound from another state! This should either be straightened (and let the Grand Ave. riders have their own route), or at least give us another line across Eliot to Queens Blvd. where the mall is. Exending the 88 might also lure some riders away from the busy Queens Blv. subway to the less used M!

Q39 and Q67. These are the winding routes connecting the area with Long Island City. There was speculation they would be combined somehow, or one discontinued. Since the 39 is the one that comes closest to here, that is the one I suggest straightening out. The 67 could continue to focus on all the little residential pockets dotting the factory belt, and pick up some that would be abandoned by the 39 in my suggestions.

Northbound, the Q39 after Metropolitan would take a shortcut across Andrews Ave. and 59th Pl. (northbound) or 60th St. (southbound) to 59th Dr. and then Rust St. to 48th St.; then along Borden Avenue to Van Dam, where it would take Queens Blvd. to QBP, and then start and end at the Courthouse Sq. 7 station, (perhaps via 21st St.) instead of swinging by there (out of the way) enroute. The current route along Fresh Pond gets caught in traffic, and then along Greenpoint Ave. and 58th St to the BQE is very long and indirect. 48th St, segment can also be slow sometimes, and taking Thompson and swinging by Courthouse Sq. also adds more time. All of this adds up to a very long trip, for the moderate distance actually being traveled. The Q67 could pick up the Thompson/Van Dam/48Av./48St./BQE/58th St. route, and then continue, as current, beyond 58th St.

Then, I would create a more direct route between Ridgewood to the busy Jackson Heights, Roosevelt Avenue hub (or lat least the LIRR Woodside area). This would involve extending the Q18 (and straightening it out while at it). A DOT consultant had suggested extending the 18 down 69th St. to Metropolitan Ave. station to replace the 67, which they suggested reducing to rush hours only. So then I got the idea to just extend it all the way into Ridgewood, somehow. Latest plans have been to extend it to the new Atlas Park Mall (a nice grassy shopping center that looks reminds me of something you would see in Orlando's International Drive, or California), but area residents have been opposing it. (Meanwhile, it is a different through route that does get rerouted out of the way there!)

Also, the area's only express bus to Manhattan, QM24, takes the LIE way out to Rego Park before coming back towards Fresh Pond on Eliot Ave. This I would have leave the LIE at the Maurice Ave. exit, and take 64th St. to Flushing Avenue, and then Fresh Pond, then the rest of the route. Manhattan-bound, they would take 61st St. to Borden Ave. east to 69th, to Queens Blvd. One of the other express routes, such as the QM10 could be extended along the Eliot portion of the line to 69th St. Or, one of them could serve Eliot first, using the same exit at Maurice Avenue, and follow the QM24 to Eliot Avenue at Fresh Pond Rd. and turn East on Eliot. Since this would draw many of the QM24 riders to the other line, the QM24 could be extended via Myrtle to the Union Tpke/Metropolitan Ave/Woodhaven loop (and maybe also the Yellowstone stretch) currently served by the QM12, giving those riders an alternative to the busy Rego Park routing.

Also, the extension of the Q55 from stopping just short of Jamaica in Richmond Hills to continuing all the way into Jamaica, or at least to the Van Wyck (E) station. I was hoping this would be considered when they had planned to discontinue the Q56, but that was dropped.

I like some of your ideas Eric B.. For the Q18, I would have some of it still serve some part of 65th Place though since it is an uphill walk from there to 69th Street. Plus, I'd have the Q18 connect to the (7) at both 61st Street and 69th Street stations for a quicker connection to the train as well as a short walking distance to the busy 74th Street terminal and the Queens Blvd lines. As for sending it to Ridgewood, I'd have the Q18 use Forest Avenue and run along the Q39 route between Metro Av and Cooper Av.

My route for the Q18 between Woodside and Ridgewood: Roosevelt Av, 69th St, 53rd Av, 65th Place, Borden Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, 75th Av, 60th Lane

I also have another idea for the Q39, why not combine it with the Q101? It would run between Hazen St and Ridgewood via Steinway St, 39th St, and 48th Avenue.

As for Atlas Park, I've noticed that any route proposed heading to that mall is opposed by Middle Village/Glendale residents. I'm guessing that they want that mall all to themselves. But so far, the Q54 and Q45 heading to Atlas have been pretty good (I have a friend in Middle Village so I use the Q45 regularly as opposed to that Q29). Not only has the Q45 allowed residents around Atlas to have a quicker ride to the (7), but it connects them to the Queens Blvd Express trains, something the Q29 doesn't do. If there's a route that should be extended to Atlas, it's the Q64 from Jewel Avenue. It would allow Middle Village & Glendale residents to reach Forest Hills and parts of Northeast Queens without having to use the (7) train or the crowded Q88 bus.

I like some of your ideas Eric B.. For the Q18, I would have some of it still serve some part of 65th Place though since it is an uphill walk from there to 69th Street. Plus, I'd have the Q18 connect to the (7) at both 61st Street and 69th Street stations for a quicker connection to the train as well as a short walking distance to the busy 74th Street terminal and the Queens Blvd lines. As for sending it to Ridgewood, I'd have the Q18 use Forest Avenue and run along the Q39 route between Metro Av and Cooper Av.

My route for the Q18 between Woodside and Ridgewood: Roosevelt Av, 69th St, 53rd Av, 65th Place, Borden Av, 69th St, Metro Av, Forest Av, 75th Av, 60th Lane

I also have another idea for the Q39, why not combine it with the Q101? It would run between Hazen St and Ridgewood via Steinway St, 39th St, and 48th Avenue.

My own first inclination looking at a map would be to jsut send the 18 straight down 65th Place, and the 45 or another line (extended 47) straight down 69th. It could then pick up the section used by the 7, while the 18 would take Grand and then Fresh Pond and then maybe pick up the 39 route (which I would prefer to come close into Ridgewood anyway).

I cut out any ideas with the 45, since it has been extended. Just going the few blocks to connect to Myrtle would have been a little better, but I think people opposed it or something.

Another idea was to have the 18 or another line go stright down 58th St., where it would pick up the 39 route (and of course, if it was the 18, somethign else would pick up the 65th/69th segments). Another idea is exendeing the 104 stright down 48th St, and then perhaps picking up a straightened version of the 39 route. Basically, reconfigure all of northwestern Queens, so that buses stick with particular streets, as they do in most places in other boroughs.

As for Atlas Park, I've noticed that any route proposed heading to that mall is opposed by Middle Village/Glendale residents. I'm guessing that they want that mall all to themselves. But so far, the Q54 and Q45 heading to Atlas have been pretty good (I have a friend in Middle Village so I use the Q45 regularly as opposed to that Q29).

I wish they they could have managed to keep the 54 out then, because it must be so much slower making those turns to get over there, instead of just cutting straight through the cemetary, which was the fastest part of the route.

They should at least have extended the 55 to Jamaica for that, if for nothing else. Now another already indirect route from Ridgewood to Jamaica is made slower.

Not only has the Q45 allowed residents around Atlas to have a quicker ride to the (7), but it connects them to the Queens Blvd Express trains, something the Q29 doesn't do. If there's a route that should be extended to Atlas, it's the Q64 from Jewel Avenue. It would allow Middle Village & Glendale residents to reach Forest Hills and parts of Northeast Queens without having to use the (7) train or the crowded Q88 bus.

I wish they would begin to do that for Ridgewood, and stop treating it like generations ago when they did stuff like this probably to keep "certain people" out of Queens.

I also forgot the Q7 via Conduit to Green Acres idea that DOT consultant suggested.

The B95 A Rush Hour/Weekday supplement to the B16 and B35. The B95 would make local B35 stops between Mother Gaston Bl or Kings Highway and 36 St/Church Av. Then it would run down 13 Av and 14 St [southwest and Northeast] replacing the B16 and terminating on 63 St & New Utrecht Av, one block from the B23's current terminal. (changed because of issues with 1-directional streets)

Routing:

{Hegeman Av -> E 98 St -> } Church Av -> 36 St -> 13 Av [sB]/14 Av [NB] -> 63 St

Headaway: 12 minutes AM Rush, 20 minutes midday, 15 mins PM Rush

Operation: 6:40 AM - 7:30 PM

I'll give you some points for creativity... however...

The absolute last thing Church av needs, is supplemental service....

If your idea were to ever come to fruition, hardly anyone would take your route past mcdonald...

in other words, people would use it, as it if were the B35 local....

B96:

An inversion the S46 and S96 LTD on Staten Island. During Rush Hours, some B46 local buses operate only between Utica Av/Eastern Parkway on the and Utica Av/Av H. These buses would be extended Eastward on St. John's Av and follow the old B40 route to East NY. Ever since the B40 and B78 merged to the new B47, that neighborhood has lost its main bus route.

Routing:

Utica Av -> St. Johns Place -> East N.Y. Av -> Mother Gaston Blvd -> Liberty Av -> Georgia Av (NB)/ Pennsylvania Av (SB) -> Atlantic Av.

See here http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bkln/b040cur.pdf

Headaway:

Every 15 minutes, roughly.

Operation:

6 AM -> 8:30 AM

3:35 PM -> 7:05 PM

Full daytime operation pending

I'm as much a fan of nostalgia as there is, when it comes to bus routes.... buuttttt I don't see why the 46 should take on that responsibility....

That general area you're speaking of, that such a route would be meandering through, is now B12/B14 territory....

Not that I think any of this should happen, but why not turn your idea into a simple spur/branch of either one of those aforementioned routes instead....

I suggested the B95 so that the B16 could run entirely on Fort Hamiliton Pkwy and its old route (13/14 Avs) would still have service... but if it's not really needed...

I'll give you the last one, as the B96 would parallel the B14 for most of its route in Ocean Hill. One of the B96's perks would be that it served the (3)(4) train station, but the B14 serves it too... I like your B14 spur idea.

My own first inclination looking at a map would be to jsut send the 18 straight down 65th Place, and the 45 or another line (extended 47) straight down 69th. It could then pick up the section used by the 7, while the 18 would take Grand and then Fresh Pond and then maybe pick up the 39 route (which I would prefer to come close into Ridgewood anyway).

I cut out any ideas with the 45, since it has been extended. Just going the few blocks to connect to Myrtle would have been a little better, but I think people opposed it or something.

Another idea was to have the 18 or another line go stright down 58th St., where it would pick up the 39 route (and of course, if it was the 18, somethign else would pick up the 65th/69th segments). Another idea is exendeing the 104 stright down 48th St, and then perhaps picking up a straightened version of the 39 route. Basically, reconfigure all of northwestern Queens, so that buses stick with particular streets, as they do in most places in other boroughs.

I wish they they could have managed to keep the 54 out then, because it must be so much slower making those turns to get over there, instead of just cutting straight through the cemetary, which was the fastest part of the route.

They should at least have extended the 55 to Jamaica for that, if for nothing else. Now another already indirect route from Ridgewood to Jamaica is made slower.

I wish they would begin to do that for Ridgewood, and stop treating it like generations ago when they did stuff like this probably to keep "certain people" out of Queens.

I also forgot the Q7 via Conduit to Green Acres idea that DOT consultant suggested.

For the Q45, those on 79th and 80th Sts around Myrtle Av opposed it because of "fear of extra traffic on their little private streets." Those Glendale residents (as well as those in Middle Village and Maspeth) don't like opening up to "certain people," especially those from Bushwick, Ridgewood, and Jackson Heights, which is why there's no route between Ridgewood and Jackson Heights. Everytime there's a proposal for a JH-Ridgewood bus route, these people would reject it every time in order to keep the so-called "undesirables" out of their pristine communities.

As for a 69th St thru-route, my proposal for an extended Q18 would only leave a gap on 69th St, between 53rd Avenue and Borden Av. This would make sure that 65th Place residents don't complain about having to walk uphill to 69th St for the Q18 bus.

Well, it's about time that we move past this sort of thinking. The "people" are all around anyway, and will be more likely to get out in the neighborhood if they have to transfer; and plus, they would also simply take car service through.

Well, it's about time that we move past this sort of thinking. The "people" are all around anyway, and will be more likely to get out in the neighborhood if they have to transfer; and plus, they would also simply take car service through.

Agreed.

On another thing regarding your Q45 proposal, I'd keep it in its current form since most of its ridership is on 80th Street and Calamus Avenue between 69th Street and Juniper Valley Park.

A bus route that travels the entire length of Baychester Av. For the first time, Baychester Av on the (5) would have direct access to a bus

I have a different proposal for the Bx23 in mind (which is the northern split of the QBx1). It would run between Pelham Bay Park and Wakefield-241st St (2) station, allowing Coop City riders access to buses taking them to Mount Vernon and New Rochelle. It would serve all Coop City sections except Bellamy Loop

Route: from Pelham Bay through Erskine, Earhart, Hutch, Bartow, Asch, Bartow, Baychester, Coop City Blvd, Dreiser, Peartree, Boston Rd, Bivona St, Tillotson Av, Baychester Av, 241st St.

Agreed.

On another thing regarding your Q45 proposal, I'd keep it in its current form since most of its ridership is on 80th Street and Calamus Avenue between 69th Street and Juniper Valley Park.

Yeah; wasn't sure whether that portion was expendable or not. (You would think it would be very light, and it kind of did look so the few times I rode it).

So it would have to be the 18 or some other line. Still would be nice if they extended the 45 to Myrtle. 80th St. already has the 29. If they don't want both, then maybe the 29 could be cut back then. (It pretty much parallels the nearby 11/21/53).

Yeah; wasn't sure whether that portion was expendable or not. (You would think it would be very light, and it kind of did look so the few times I rode it).

So it would have to be the 18 or some other line. Still would be nice if they extended the 45 to Myrtle. 80th Ste already has the 29. If they don't want both, then maybe the 29 could be cut back then. (It pretty much parallels the nearby 11/21/53).

Although the Q45 does have lighter ridership than the Q29, the Q45 takes riders to a Queens Blvd express stop and the (7) train, something the Q11 and Q21 don't do and something the Q53 does, but takes a longer time. However, I'm not sure if Glendale riders want to lose direct access to Queens Center Mall.

^ Something the Q11 & the 21 doesn't need to do.... those two routes have enough of a burden to handle the riderbase along woodhaven (buses on either route, often get to capacity after leaving Hoffman)....

far as the Q45... it wouldn't serve much of a purpose to send it any more south of Atlas... if there's anything that should be done, regarding that route, is to combine it w/ either the Q47 or the Q49....

just throwing this out there...

Since the Q53 was mentioned, would it be an injustice to the route if some trips terminated @ the 74th st terminal?

^ Something the Q11 & the 21 doesn't need to do.... those two routes have enough of a burden to handle the riderbase along woodhaven (buses either route, often get to capacity after leaving Hoffman....

far as the Q45... it wouldn't serve much of a purpose to send it any more south of Atlas... if there's anything that should be done, regarding that route, is to combine it w/ either the Q47 or the Q49....

just throwing this out there...

Since the Q53 was mentioned, would it be an injustice to the route if some trips terminated @ the 74th st terminal?

I don't think so. Many riders get off at 74th anyway.

Although the Q45 does have lighter ridership than the Q29, the Q45 takes riders to a Queens Blvd express stop and the (7) train, something the Q11 and Q21 don't do and something the Q53 does, but takes a longer time. However, I'm not sure if Glendale riders want to lose direct access to Queens Center Mall.
Well, it's not like it's all of Glendale that would lose; just a two (long) block stretch of 80th St. (Those transferring from the 55 would have all the transfers on Woodhaven a couple of stops later).

far as the Q45... it wouldn't serve much of a purpose to send it any more south of Atlas...
To connect to the 55.

I don't think so. Many riders get off at 74th anyway.

Now that I have to take the Q53 leaving Woodside, I notice that... you see one (mostly two) buses on layover... crowds pile up... then a 3rd Q53 comes like 10 minutes after that 2nd bus goes on layover.... that 3rd Q53 is the bus that picks up the long line of waiting passengers (since I started this 2nd job in that area, I'd say this has been the case, 6 out of the 10 days [2 work weeks] so far).... I don't understand that at all...

This gives off the idea that ridership @ Woodside is quite heavy, which is really isn't....

...and for those who may say "the Q53 needs that connection @ Woodside, for LIRR service".... I call shenanigans... the majority of Q53 users out of 61st are either coming off the (7), or are residents of the neighborhood itself.... and sure as hell, riders aren't taking the Q53 in droves, heading towards Woodside, to get to the LIRR...

and yes, Woodside bound 53's tank out @ 74th.....

Rockaway bound 53's leave 61st w/ a moderate level of pax... the "meat" of the ridership b/w 61st & Hoffman/Woodhaven, is at 74th.... this is why buses are often jampacked after having left 74th... this is why ppl. are being flagged at Hoffman b/c there's no more room on the bus...

To connect to the 55.

Exactly why I said much of a purpose....

Now that I have to take the Q53 leaving Woodside, I notice that... you see one (mostly two) buses on layover... crowds pile up... then a 3rd Q53 comes like 10 minutes after that 2nd bus goes on layover.... that 3rd Q53 is the bus that picks up the long line of waiting passengers (since I started this 2nd job in that area, I'd say this has been the case, 6 out of the 10 days [2 work weeks] so far).... I don't understand that at all...

This gives off the idea that ridership @ Woodside is quite heavy, which is really isn't....

...and for those who may say "the Q53 needs that connection @ Woodside, for LIRR service".... I call shenanigans... the majority of Q53 users out of 61st are either coming off the (7), or are residents of the neighborhood itself.... and sure as hell, riders aren't taking the Q53 in droves, heading towards Woodside, to get to the LIRR...

and yes, Woodside bound 53's tank out @ 74th.....

Rockaway bound 53's leave 61st w/ a moderate level of pax (they never really get to the point of SRO-dom... lol)... the "meat" of the ridership b/w 61st & Hoffman/Woodhaven, is at 74th.... this is why buses are often jampacked after having left 74th... this is why ppl. are being flagged at Hoffman b/c there's no more room on the bus...

Exactly why I said much of a purpose....

To me, the Q53 heading to Woodside only serves to those from the neighborhood. If they're coming from the (7), they would use the Q53 at 74th Street, unless the (7) is skipping that stop.

As for the Q45 merging with the Q47, I would agree for it. But for the Q49, I'd merge it with the Q29, connecting to the (7) at 90th Street-Elmhurst Avenue.

N/B Q29: Hampton St, Elmhurst Av, 91st St, 31st Av, Astoria Blvd

S/B Q29: 31st Av, 90th St, Roosevelt Av, Britton Av, Hampton St, regular route

This would fill a gap between 82nd St and Junction Blvd, bypassing the crowded 82nd St and Junction Blvd strips (although 90th St is gaining some sort of traffic over recent years).

To me, the Q53 heading to Woodside only serves to those from the neighborhood. If they're coming from the (7), they would use the Q53 at 74th Street, unless the (7) is skipping that stop.

As for the Q45 merging with the Q47, I would agree for it. But for the Q49, I'd merge it with the Q29, connecting to the (7) at 90th Street-Elmhurst Avenue.

N/B Q29: Hampton St, Elmhurst Av, 91st St, 31st Av, Astoria Blvd

S/B Q29: 31st Av, 90th St, Roosevelt Av, Britton Av, Hampton St, regular route

This would fill a gap between 82nd St and Junction Blvd, bypassing the crowded 82nd St and Junction Blvd strips (although 90th St is gaining some sort of traffic over recent years).

Yeh, riders on the (7) b/w Flushing & 82nd would take it to 74th....

However, riders coming from Manhattan take the (7) to 61st for the Q53.... riding it two stops afterwards to catch the same bus, isn't practical... and the chances of getting a seat, are much less.... no question about that....

as far as riders @ 74 itself waiting for the Q53, there's no telling what %-age of those people are coming off the (7) [towards Manhattan] (which I doubt would be formidable/prevalent anyway), or off any of the # of the buses that serve the bus term. at 74th....

I'm willing to bet, of the pax off the (7) that take the 53... come from the manhattan direction, moreso than from flushing (and points north & east)....

Yeh, it is congested over there on Roosevelt/82nd.... I wouldn't move the 29 from that specific area though; the 29 is used more than the 45, for one, because of its usage b/w Roosevelt & Hoffman (inclusive)....

anyway, far as combining the:

Q45 with [the Q47 over the Q49], or...

Q45 with [the Q49 over the Q47]

... is debatable....

I have a different proposal for the Bx23 in mind (which is the northern split of the QBx1). It would run between Pelham Bay Park and Wakefield-241st St (2) station, allowing Coop City riders access to buses taking them to Mount Vernon and New Rochelle. It would serve all Coop City sections except Bellamy Loop

Route: from Pelham Bay through Erskine, Earhart, Hutch, Bartow, Asch, Bartow, Baychester, Coop City Blvd, Dreiser, Peartree, Boston Rd, Bivona St, Tillotson Av, Baychester Av, 241st St.

I'd have to disagree. I'd leave the Bx23 alone and make this Baychester route the Bx43, since the Bx38 will be the Norwood-Co-Op route.

Archived