If you were the head of NYCT

trainfan22

If you the head of NYCT what changes would you make?

I would fire who ever made the desion to buy the R142/A

Start qualiying A div crews for the R110As and put them back into service.

Reef the MK R42s and keep the R38s until 2010.

Have a fan trip at least once a month.

Reef the R142/A in 2009 and replace them with the R165.

Buy out the R160 option order and put them on the (Q) and (W) lines.

Put the R68As on the (;) line. And any spare sets goes to the (A) and (C) lines.

Order new parts from bombardier for the R110B. rebuild two of the B cars into an A car. And put them into service on the frankin ave shuttle.

Put a cop on every train and in every station.

And thats about it.

I think it's a little harsh to just toss the R142s, they're only 7-8 years old now. As for the R110s, you really only need a crew to operate them, maybe two or three, but not a lot. The R110s might be better than the R142s, but they've been sitting around for years on end with no service, just gathering dust. Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion. As for me, I'd...

-Put the R110s back into service on weekends.

-Assign more crews to keep stations in good condition.

-Remove the diffusion grading from the cab door windows.

-unite the A and B division so TOs and CRs can work whatever lines they want ((6) one day (;) the next, etc)

-Start using CBTC.

-Put the blue stripe back on the R44/R46s

-Restore Worth St station and reopen it.

-Restore City Hall and have a request-a-stop to it.

-Restore Myrtle Ave and live in it.

-Erase ALL graffiti from the system.

-Give TOs and CRs a raise.

-Have a suggestions box in ever station.

-Build myself a special car that I can drive around the subway.

-Extend the (7) and just develop more subway in Queens.

-Restore the (K), (H), (9), and (JFK).

-Start lines with every indicator found on the roll-signs.

-Build a shuttle across Central Park.

-Build more non-manhattan lines like the (G).

If I was in charge...

-Buy the second option order for the R160B, replacing the R32 to R42 (I want to see error cry)

-since the R179 is still under the design phase, I would convert it to a 60 foot car

-After the five main projects under MTA Capital Construction are ocmpleted, I will put an SAS extension (both 125th street crosstown and under 3rd avenue in the bronx), a 7 extension, an E/F extension, and a J/Z extension on the table to benefit more queens riders (now if only the NIMBYs who are scared of the subway can live with it!)

-Do whatever work the Steinway Tunnels need so that the 7 can convert to B division operation

That's all for now...oh and trainfan22 instead of reefing the R142 why dont you scrap them instead andrecycle their stainless steel? Steel is at an awfully high cost now.

Here are the changes I would make.

-When buses are 12 years old they would get an overhaul and be used for another 12 years.

-Bus ans Subway service would be increased on all routes that have overcrowding.

-Build new subway lines to connect the outer boroughs to manhattan.

-Start new express bus routes to manhattan.

-Add more local bus routes in all 5 boroughs.

-Purchase used buses from other TA's and overhaul them to operate on these routes.

-Reopen abandoned subway stations.

-Design a new paint scheme for buses.

-Retrofit all old technology cars and buses with an announcment system.

-Buy more R160's and put them on the Broadway line.

Here is wat I would do:

1, Add a lot of cops(even undercover cops) to the subway system.

2, Give the older buses the heave ho, its time to save the environment.

3, Clean graffiti and scratchitti from the buses, trains, and from the property.

4, Sorry guys, give the older train the heave ho, time to update the system.

5, Put T/0's in charge of train.

6, Raise the speed limit to 40 mph. On the subway lines.

i would have these plans:

1) scrap the R46 (im sure by now you probably saw that coming anyway lol)

2) put railfan windows on ALL trains (or at least on all the trains where it is possible, such as the R62)

3) anyone who bothers people taking photos or doing any other legal activity will suffer big consequences

4) take out all the timers (except in curvy tracks, those are the only places you really need them, but every other place no timers)

5) R160B would replace R46

6) desired car assignments:

R32: on the A , E

R38: on the N , Q

R40: on the B , D

R42: on the J , Z

R44: on the G, R, V

R62: on the 1 , 3

R62A: on the 2 , 7

R68: on the V, W

R68A: on the G, C

R142: on the 4 , 6

R142A: on the 5 and any places where there aren't enough trains

R143: on the L and M

R160: on the F, M, and any places where there aren't enough trains

R179 (180 for the GC Shuttle) would be a small order of maybe 30 cars for the shuttles, they would have special features that makes the shuttles faster and more efficient

i would have these plans:

1) scrap the R46 (im sure by now you probably saw that coming anyway lol)

2) put railfan windows on ALL trains (or at least on all the trains where it is possible, such as the R62)

3) anyone who bothers people taking photos or doing any other legal activity will suffer big consequences

4) take out all the timers (except in curvy tracks, those are the only places you really need them, but every other place no timers)

5) R160B would replace R46

6) desired car assignments:

R32: on the A , E

R38: on the N , Q

R40: on the B , D

R42: on the J , Z

R44: on the G, R, V

R62: on the 1 , 3

R62A: on the 2 , 7

R68: on the V, W

R68A: on the G, C

R142: on the 4 , 6

R142A: on the 5 and any places where there aren't enough trains

R143: on the L and M

R160: on the F, M, and any places where there aren't enough trains

R179 (180 for the GC Shuttle) would be a small order of maybe 30 cars for the shuttles, they would have special features that makes the shuttles faster and more efficient

That's one hell of a proposal there. I'm sorry to say but you wouldn't last a week on the job. Some are okay but others are totally outrageous. ;)

Here is wat I would do:

1, Add a lot of cops(even undercover cops) to the subway system.

2, Give the older buses the heave ho, its time to save the environment.

3, Clean graffiti and scratchitti from the buses, trains, and from the property.

4, Sorry guys, give the older train the heave ho, time to update the system.

5, Put T/0's in charge of train.

6, Raise the speed limit to 40 mph. On the subway lines.

This proposal has good intentions in it but I would take two out and maybe it would fly. ;)

To start, I would

-dismantle the IRT lines, then rebuild them so that they can be compatible with BMT equipment

-make a (F) express in Bklyn

-build another line for the Canarsie area...the (L) isn't enough

-reduce the overnite wait time from 20 minutes, to 12 minutes, and take 2 cars off of each train for overnites

-put a/c systems in every station

-have the (E) run every 4 minutes during AM rush

-have the (R) go express in either Manhattan or Queens (the line is too long)

i'll post more as i think of them

As much as I would love to swap the (;) & (D) Back on their original routes, Id have to leave them as is, but make adjustments:

(W) Extended via 4 Av / West End Local To Bensonhurst-Bay Parkway, Rush Hours. To 9 Av, weekday middays. Replaces (M) in Brooklyn.

(:P Harlem-145 St, Manhattan to Prospect Park, Brooklyn, weekends.

Heres my plan for the ©/(F)/(G)/(M)/(V) Trains:

cfgmvchanges2.jpg

(C) Washington Heights - 168 St to Middle Village-Metropolitan Av, via CPW / 8 Av Local, West 4 St Crossover, Chrystie St ( needs rebuild) Willy B, Myrtle Av Local. Nights; Shuttle Metropolitan Av to Myrtle/Bdwy.

(F) Regular route; Crosstown-Culver Express, weekdays Jay Or Bergen Sts to Kings Highway, then Local to/from Coney Island. Culver Express: AM rush to Manhattan, PM Rush to Brooklyn.

(G) Extended Via Culver Local to Kings Highway or Avenue X, weekdays.

Weekends, and late nights to Church Av.

(M) replaces the (Z) between Jamaica Center and Myrtle Av; normal between Myrtle Av and Chambers, & Broad Sts. Extended via Montague St / Brighton Local to Brighton Beach OR Coney Island, rush hours

(V) Replaces the (C) between West 4th St, and Euclid Av, via 6 av / 6av (8 Av) Local , Cranberry St tunnel, Fulton St Local, except late nights.

*This would mean the G would never see Queens Blvd , except late nights*

(Z) Suspended, replaced By (M)

SUBWAYS All lines would be R142, R160/B, R179 only!

* (9) Line from S. Ferry to Norwood-205 St Sta. in via Pearl/Second Av/Third Av(BX). Transfer connection is available to the (1) through (7)(A)(;)(C)(D)(E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(V)(W) and (Z) Trains.

* (K) Line from Bay Ridge-95 St. to Jamaica-179 St. via Kings Hwy./Flatlands Av/Rockaway PKY Sta./JFK Airport/Jamaica CTR. Transfer connection is available to the (A)(:P(D)(E)(F)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R) and (Z) Trains.

* (T) Line from Coney Island Stillwell Av North through BK to Flushing-Main St Sta. Transfer connection is available to the (1) through (7)(A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(V)(W) and (Z) Trains.

New York City Bus Local/Limited. #1 Order 260 MTS RTS Low-Floor Hybrids, 50 MCI D4500 Hybrids, & 100 NF D60LF Hybrids.

BRONX: Increase/improve service on Bx1,2,5,9,12,15,19,28,36 NEW route (Split KB & GH Depots) Bx23 Bay Plaza/Inwood-207 St. via Gun Hill Rd/Sedgwick Av/B'way.

BROOKLYN: Make a limited run which extends the B13 to Willbrg Br, add limited runs to the B15,26,54,60.

MANHATTAN: New MJQ Depot Routes M21 Lincoln Ctr./City Hall via Centre St & Lafayette St (northbound)/ B'way (southbound)/14 St/11 Av. M21 Limited B'way-106 St/S. Ferry. M31 PA Bus Term/Delancy & Allen via 1 AV/31 St (northbound), via 32 St/ 2AV (southbound).

QUEENS: Add LTD sevice to Q6,58. New Casey Stengel Depot Route Q50 Flushing/Ridgewood via Roosevelt/69 St/Fresh Pond Rd.

STATEN ISLAND: Add more local & LTD service to S74/84 when Charleston Depot opens

NEW EXPRESS SERVICE: Casleton Depot x33 St. George/ JFK Airport, Ulmer Park Depot x34 Gd Central & Penn Sta./Dntwn Bklyn, Charleston Depot x35 Pt. Richmond/Charleston

MTA Bus Co.

LGA Depot QM20 LGA Airport/ Midtown Express

JFK Depot QM25 JFK Airport/ Midtown Express

Spring Creek B90 Limited Coney Island/Dntwn Bklyn

Reconfigure/reconstruct the unused lirr tracks that run thru forest hills ricmond hill, into a new line from the rockaways into manhattan.etc And yes more cops,the tb is down to 2600 cops,almost 2000 less than the old transit police! The rest of you folks,i hope you find the 175 Billion$ you need for your projects!

Okay here it is from the top of my head:

*Fire majority of the current staff (I don't know why but I want a clean slate)

*Merge NYCTA, LI Bus and MTA Bus to become MTA Bus (Sounds cool right)

*Merge LIRR and MNRR to become MTA Commuter Rail

*Subway and the SIR merge to become MTA Subway?

1. Repair/Renovate all stations (yes it ambitious but we have to do it B) )

2. Add escalators and elevators to all stations.

3. Increase efforts of removing graffiti and scratchitti. (A serious effort)

4. Scrap older buses in return from new hybrids from New Flyer, Orion or other companies.

5. Scrap older trains in favor of new technology trains (yes for 4 and 5, this must be done, but listen to 6)

6. Expand Transit Museum in favor of more buses, trains and exhibits. (Run more trips and tours)

7. Restore R-110A's and R-110B's and place them in the Franklin Ave Shuttle and the Times Square Shuttle.

8. Add more cops (I heard 1 in each station which sounds good). One condition these officers cannot be slobs (hard requirement right B)).

9. I know this is somewhat occurring but, I think we should have the signs like London which tell how far away the bus and train are from the bus stop or station.

10. Repaint all el's especially the J line (I didn't know rust is a color).

11. Here's an old idea of mine which many have heard. Use the abandoned stations from the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch and use it as an extension of the (V) or make it a (S)

12. Use the abandoned stations at Richmond Hill through Forest Hills as BklynBob has said and use it for a subway service or a shuttle.

13. Oh I heard this from a member here, place a suggestion box at every station and check every week and consider each one.

14. Here what everybody has in mind for routes. I would actually listen to commuters.

15. Overhaul buses and trains so we wouldn't have to buy too much.

16. Demolish Madison Square Garden and build a new Penn Station or move it to become the Monihan Station.

17. Concentrate more projects for other boroughs other than Manhattan especially Queens.

I would do this and much more if I were elected president. Oh wait... head of the MTA. I would basically do this and much more. Some are long shots but others are very possible.

Here are my extension proposals:

(1) : to 262nd Street in Riverdale

(2) : to Kings Plaza, where it would connect with the (L)

(3) : to Aqueduct/North Conduit, where it would connect with the (A)

(4) : to 233rd Street in Woodlawn and to Aqueduct/North Conduit all hours, where it would connect with the (A)

(5) : to Flatbush all hours

(6) : to Ropes Avenue in the Bronx

(7) : to Little Neck via Northern Blvd

(B) : to Norwood all hours

(C) : to Inwood all hours; to Lefferts all hours

(E) : to Little Neck Pkwy via Jamaica Ave

(F) : to 268th St via Hillside Ave

(G) : to Forest Hills all hours; to Church all hours

(J) : to Little Neck Pkwy via Jamaica Ave

(L) : to Kings Plaza, where it would connect with the (2)

(M) : extended to connect with (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) at Forest Hills

(N) : extended to La Guardia

(Q) : across 57th St, up Lex, and across 125th

(R) : to Kew Gardens/Union Tpke

(W) : north to Hunts Point, connecting with the (6)

I'd also allow MetroCard to be used on Metro-North and LIRR. Furthermore, I have an extensive proposal to revamp the Bronx bus routes. I can explain that in detail, but it would take forever.

(M) : extended to connect with (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) at Forest Hills

I would be more leaning towards an extension to Roosevelt Avenue so (7) riders also have access to the (M), but that works too.

(Q) : across 57th St, up Lex, and across 125th

You mean Second Avenue.

(R) : to Kew Gardens/Union Tpke

The problem with this is that the R will have no way to relay there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, this is an interesting thread, i read each one opinions, and i agree with a lot of you. well, if i have the chance to make changes i would do:

• Buses: ill put more buses into service in rush hours(talking about the bronx) because buses are extremely overcrowded in rush hours.
  • put undercover cops, to avoid vandalism and people who don't pay the fare.
  • add an express bus for each line.
  • Trains/Subways: first i would put a restroom/bathroom in the main station of each subway line. for instead, in 125st, grand central, 161st Yankee stadium, etc.
  • put a least 2 or more cops to be at the station/trains daily.
  • get new trains, like the 4 ,5, and 6 trains.
  • encourage the T/O to wait for passengers transferring from one train to the other, and if someone is coming really close wait for them, don't close them the door. as i seen in many cases, sometimes and some of the T/O discriminate based one race and color. i take the 6 train everyday and I've seen that the T/O can wait for someone that is white, and they will close the doors for someone that is Hispanic or black. so i would encourage T/O to be careful and no discriminate nobody.

• encourage the T/O to wait for passengers transferring from one train to the other, and if someone is coming really close wait for them, don't close them the door. as i seen in many cases, sometimes and some of the T/O discriminate based one race and color. i take the 6 train everyday and I've seen that the T/O can wait for someone that is white, and they will close the doors for someone that is Hispanic or black. so i would encourage T/O to be careful and no discriminate nobody.

That's really up to dispatch and has nothing to do with the train crew. As mean as it may look sometimes I believe all transit workers are professionals and do not conduct themselves in that manner.

I've seen the doors get closed on everybody, white, black, hispanics, everyone. When the doors do get closed its usually because there is another train behind that one. Maybe they should announce it a little better.

That's really up to dispatch and has nothing to do with the train crew. As mean as it may look sometimes I believe all transit workers are professionals and do not conduct themselves in that manner.

I've seen the doors get closed on everybody, white, black, hispanics, everyone. When the doors do get closed its usually because there is another train behind that one. Maybe they should announce it a little better.

You got a point there, cause I know in the BK they don't care. When it's time to go, it's time to go!

well, you might be right. but as you said they should announce it better, because it looks so rude. but you know, as East New York says, when is time to go, its time to go!

Heres an updated list LOL

1]The R32-R42 fleets would be GOHed again

2]The R26/28/29s and the R36s WF would be taken out the ocean restored to running conition and put back into service on the (2)(4)(5) and (7) lines.

3] The R33ML would also be put back into service

4]Build a time machine go back into time to prevent the arnies low Vs and BMT standards from being scrapped and still would be running to this day after multple GOHs.

5]While im back in time i will also prevent the R10s R12s R17s R21/22s R30s from being scrapped and would also still be running to this day after multple GOHs

6]The R62/As and the R68/As would have railfan windows again

7] the R44s R46s R142s R143s and the R160s would be scrapped!!!

for buses

1]The hybrids would be scrapped ASAP

2]The artics would also be scrapped and the replaced with RTS actics.

3]The RTSs in bad shape would be GOHed and put back into service.

4]The fishbowls would be put back into service

5] The grummen flexbles from the 80s still would be in service after multiple GOHs

6]private bus lines would be bought back and every bus from the private bus line era would be GOHed and put back into service.

Archived