Why Do people seek MTA jobs?

Trainmaster5

I don't remember my list number for the Sanitation. What's the top pay for a santiation worker now anyway? Is it $70k? I know they make more than TA workers. In fact, prior to the last NYPD raise, they made more than cops! I spoke to a few sanitation workers several years ago while they were on lunch break, and they said with overtime, they can make $100k +.

hey, train operators can make 100k too, just look http://seethroughny.net/PayrollsPensions/tabid/55/Payrolls/StatePayroll/tabid/69/Default.aspx?BRANCHID=4

this is public information, bro. now with the service cuts they're definitely gonna cut OT in the near future but none of us are getting in for the next 5 years anyway. when the population of NYC grows they're gonna gave to restore the service levels and Train Operator will be the place to be in about 5-10 years

sorry, i thought the link was gonna show my specific search query. on the right side you have to change "rate" to "total" and in the box type "100000". you also have to change pay year to "2008" (for some reason 2009 doesn't work) and for position type "train operator". it'll show you the 14 people who worked ridiculous amounts of overtime to make over $100,000

For me the (MTA) and transit has been in my veins since I was 5 and never stopped since.I always took interest in the technical and mechanical aspect of buses and trains.Im really considering taking up a postion in the shops,particularly Coney Island shops.Also benefits and job security is a plus,but the way the MTA is crying broke,job benefits and security there will be the equivalent of a retail job.SMH.

Locomotion

The list doesn't have to be extended. It is the sole discretion of the city of new york to extend that list. I doubt that you can sue the city for not extending the list. They will not hire many at all from this list.

I emailed DCAS awile ago and they quoted me some section of the NYC Civil Service law. So what you are telling me is that the city can do whatever they want regardless of the laws. I really don't think they will have another DSNY exam next year and just terminate the 6063 list on 02/2012.

oh i have an idea u know how the train sets consist of irt 11 car train set and the bmt ind 10 or 8 car set what they should do is nights and weekend service instead of 11 car train set make it 7 or 9 for irt and the bmt ind make it 5 or 4 car train set this way they save money on electricity.

oh i have an idea u know how the train sets consist of irt 11 car train set and the bmt ind 10 or 8 car set what they should do is nights and weekend service instead of 11 car train set make it 7 or 9 for irt and the bmt ind make it 5 or 4 car train set this way they save money on electricity.

That was done before and it cost the same if not more money. You still have a 2 person crew on the train and you have to pay people to cut the trains. You could try OPTO but I think that is only allowed on certain lines under the current contract.

I emailed DCAS awile ago and they quoted me some section of the NYC Civil Service law. So what you are telling me is that the city can do whatever they want regardless of the laws. I really don't think they will have another DSNY exam next year and just terminate the 6063 list on 02/2012.

I found this:

Civil Service Eligible Lists

An eligible list is a ranked list of all passing candidates (those with a score of 70% or above) from a Civil Service exam. All eligible candidates are listed first in order of score, then randomly within each score. An eligible list is established for a minimum of one year and can be extended to a maximum of four years. If a list is extended, all eligible candidates will be notified in writing.

Maybe this is what they meant? If so I think 6063 was for 4 years 2008-2012

For me ever since i was a little one i was interested in buses,cars,trucks, ext so i got my drivers licence when i was around 16 years of age.then right after i hit 18 i went in for my CDL.then in my twentys i went and did all the requirements to get into the MTA as a Bus operater.but then after a few years i looked at the job and said to myself i like it here but i need something better if im going to make it a career.so thats when a buddy of mine in The beeline system aka Liberty Lines told me about the job.i was very interested and could see that it would be the right step to take.So i applyed and in a month i was called up and from there it was not bad at all.Im just throwing it out there that if anyone that wants to make Bus driving their career i would recommend trying to get into liberty.

sorry, i thought the link was gonna show my specific search query. on the right side you have to change "rate" to "total" and in the box type "100000". you also have to change pay year to "2008" (for some reason 2009 doesn't work) and for position type "train operator". it'll show you the 14 people who worked ridiculous amounts of overtime to make over $100,000

check conductors. you will be surprised. the sad thing is i know all of them and i wish i was at that level.

yeah but its a lot harder to make $100,000 as a conductor with the lower salary. i wouldnt try to get there at $18/hr lol. you'd fall asleep in the cab

actually almost all the guys on the list dont touch trains. they flag.

• 2 weeks later...
I found this:

Civil Service Eligible Lists

An eligible list is a ranked list of all passing candidates (those with a score of 70% or above) from a Civil Service exam. All eligible candidates are listed first in order of score, then randomly within each score. An eligible list is established for a minimum of one year and can be extended to a maximum of four years. If a list is extended, all eligible candidates will be notified in writing.

Maybe this is what they meant? If so I think 6063 was for 4 years 2008-2012

I know that already Gabchi, I know your hubby is on that list also. It is going to be 2 years since they last hired from this list,if they don't hire again until it expires on Feb/2012 and they terminate the list all hell is going to break loose.:mad:

I know primojr(aka cousin negative)tells me that I can't do this and that,the city doesn't have to extend the list,blah,blah,blah....well if they can do what they want then I can do whatever I want.

DSNY commish John(drunkard)Doherty told Bloomberg once that he could run the dept with half of the workforce that it's now which is around 6,000 uniformed personnel.

That one T/O Made $114k thats crazy, how many hours per week do you think he had to do for that yearly pay? It must be tough to have a life with that much OT but hey the $$ is worth it right?

You can't work more than 6 days in one week, so all the OT had to be squeezed into 6 day weeks. He probably also worked every holiday and cashed them in instead of saving them. He must have hated taking his vacation time since he couldn't get any OT that way, or actually he probably took his vacation in days where he could use them like AVAs to take a day off here and there when he needed one.

You can't work more than 6 days in one week, so all the OT had to be squeezed into 6 day weeks. He probably also worked every holiday and cashed them in instead of saving them. He must have hated taking his vacation time since he couldn't get any OT that way, or actually he probably took his vacation in days where he could use them like AVAs to take a day off here and there when he needed one.

We once had a T/O (not on the list) come to pick with us who had to choose a job for the next pick and vacation for the following year. He asked us, the pick dispatcher and union rep (me) a question which absolutely floored us both. He said, "Do I have to take vacation next year? I'd rather work all 52 weeks and cash the vacation in." We informed him that he was obligated to take four weeks off and that he could take the fifth week in days and cash it in at the end of the year. He then chose four weeks, as spread apart as possible, with a look of disdain on his face. After he left, all the two of us could say was "wow".

For someone to make max money, he/she would have to pick a penalty job, hustle for late clears every day, and work six days a week all year-round. He/she would also have to work every holiday, not save a single one, and cash in the week of vacation days.

That's exactly what the first T/O on that list did. The second one has it a bit easier as he picks in the first half-hour; high seniority makes making money a whole lot easier to do.

Only one weeks worth of vacation can be taken in days, not all of them!

That's a big "if". If your personal life isn't planned at least 20 days in advance, then you'll likely be denied, especially if it's on a Fri, Sat, Sun, or Mon.

It also depends on the season. Need a Saturday in August? Hooo boy, you're gonna need a little luck. Need a Saturday in late January? Not a problem.

It also depends on the season. Need a Saturday in August? Hooo boy, you're gonna need a little luck. Need a Saturday in late January? Not a problem.

That brings up another issue, the vacation week in days thing (vid). We are also allowed to pre pick the individual days. A guy with good seniority can pick prime individual days like the day after Thanksgiving. This year since I knew the day of a graduation, I picked that day in advance. New Years Eve is a problem, got hassled 2 years in a row but got it off. For the 2009 vacation year the pick TD told me since it was technically in the previous year I couldn't do it but he put it in anyway and I got it off (I said to him but guys can pick that whole week off). For the 2010 vacation year I put in for it again, got the same spiel, and then 5 days later when it was time to clear the pick section called me at my terminal stating I couldn't have it off. Monday morning they called me again and told me I could have it! We need a firm policy here otherwise the same thing is going to happen again for the 2011 vacation year!

Since there is a quota system on the number of employees who can be off on an individual day, naturally all the slots for a day like the day after Thanksgiving are pre-picked by the VID guys. There really should be a seperate quota for AVA's and a seperate quota for VID guys. The Crew Office will just have to do a better of changing RDO's for XXXXX people on holiday weeks to accomodate more senior employees.

I would like to go away on Labor Day weekend this year starting the Friday before but wouldn't dare since I did not pre-pick that day as a VID and I will probably will be denied on such a popular day as the quota is probably already taken up. Yes, seniority rules, but the system is unfair to the junior man as he doesn't have a chance in hell and for me for not knowing my plans 10 months in advance!

That brings up another issue, the vacation week in days thing (vid). We are also allowed to pre pick the individual days. A guy with good seniority can pick prime individual days like the day after Thanksgiving. This year since I knew the day of a graduation, I picked that day in advance. New Years Eve is a problem, got hassled 2 years in a row but got it off. For the 2009 vacation year the pick TD told me since it was technically in the previous year I couldn't do it but he put it in anyway and I got it off (I said to him but guys can pick that whole week off). For the 2010 vacation year I put in for it again, got the same spiel, and then 5 days later when it was time to clear the pick section called me at my terminal stating I couldn't have it off. Monday morning they called me again and told me I could have it! We need a firm policy here otherwise the same thing is going to happen again for the 2011 vacation year!

I'll try to get that ironed out for the next vacation pick.

Since there is a quota system on the number of employees who can be off on an individual day, naturally all the slots for a day like the day after Thanksgiving are pre-picked by the VID guys. There really should be a seperate quota for AVA's and a seperate quota for VID guys. The Crew Office will just have to do a better of changing RDO's for XXXXX people on holiday weeks to accomodate more senior employees.

As per contract, all VID/AVA/PLD/OTO, etc. requests all come out of the same pool. What we might do is purposely limit the amount of VID's available at the time of the pick so that X amount of AVA's will still be available. Yeah there'll be senior guys who will get shut out of Black Friday and Christmas Eve, but it's difficult to probably resolve this problem as vacation periods are seniority based, whereas AVA's are not (and should not), yet both happen to become intertwined when it comes to sellouts of VID's.

We once had a T/O (not on the list) come to pick with us who had to choose a job for the next pick and vacation for the following year. He asked us, the pick dispatcher and union rep (me) a question which absolutely floored us both. He said, "Do I have to take vacation next year? I'd rather work all 52 weeks and cash the vacation in." We informed him that he was obligated to take four weeks off and that he could take the fifth week in days and cash it in at the end of the year. He then chose four weeks, as spread apart as possible, with a look of disdain on his face. After he left, all the two of us could say was "wow".

For someone to make max money, he/she would have to pick a penalty job, hustle for late clears every day, and work six days a week all year-round. He/she would also have to work every holiday, not save a single one, and cash in the week of vacation days.

That's exactly what the first T/O on that list did. The second one has it a bit easier as he picks in the first half-hour; high seniority makes making money a whole lot easier to do.

And the sad think is, he will make all that money and drop dead of a heart attack within 2 years of retiring. I would rather have some money and be my lovable healthy self than hustle and die.

Archived