Why Do people seek MTA jobs?

Trainmaster5

I have a simple question for forum members seeking (MTA) jobs. Is it because of your love of buses, trains or something else ? Many of my co-workers were asked the same question and the answers were revealing. Most of them said they came aboard for the job security and benefits. Some were second and third generation family people and they liked what their relatives did so they came aboard. A few older people left other careers and came to the (MTA) to provide for their families. Others, like myself, come from a family full of civil servants so we gravitated toward that type of work. Believe it or not, there were very few bus or train buffs, (or admitted ones), who cited that as a reason. I then asked the question I now pose to you out there. If the (MTA) gets it's fantasy wish to remove it's employees from civil service, cuts benefits, raise the retirement age, and cut salary, among other things, would you STILL want to come here? Many people employed here now said no and they would advise their children and friends to go to sanitation or somewhere that has a secure future, even the military, before coming to the (MTA). Like they say, they'll always need sanitation workers while the (MTA) wants to automate everything they can and eliminate all the people they can. So what do you think? Even if you say your life-long dream is to operate a bus or train it's OK with me, I'd just like some feedback so I see where you stand compared to my co-workers.

I never even considered becoming a bus operator until I was unemployed in 1984. My Dad was a B/O at Steinway Transit and he was able to get me an app for Triboro Coach who would hire you at 19 if you had a Class 2 license. I learned to drive buses at Jamaica Bus and passed my bus road test January,25 1985. Unfortunately Triboro had a real jerk for a Superintendent and I didn't take the job there. After I turned 21 I put an app in at Steinway Transit and the rest is history. Been in the bus business since 1987 and I'm not leaving until retirement,or until they get rid of me.

I never had a serious consideration working for (MTA) New York, however I have been recommended time and time again by bus/ subway train operators to go seek these positions by taking examinations, training, etc. I'd probably would be interested in working for (MTA) New York as a bus operator or train operator because I am able to operate these buses/subway trains to move people around. Yes, I have heard and seen how hectic it can be at times, but I think the fun part of the job outweigh the drawbacks of having these roles.

i grew up on the White Plains Rd. (2)<5> line in the 90's-00's. and while most of the system had newer cars, we still had the redbirds until about 2002. redbirds= railfan window. for someone like me who's afraid to fly, not to happy about highway safety, and not too keen on the rides at Playland...it was quite a rush flying from 180th to 3rd Ave. every morning on my way to high school on the <5>. its an indescribable feeling.

to talk about the benefits... as long as you get in under Tier 4 you're locked in. for healthcare, the union cried like BABIES when they had to start paying like everybody else (and i would too!). so i expect that wouldn't get taken from us without a fight. heck, its already come back a little bit from 1.53% to 1.5%, PLUS not being applied to overtime earnings! and the pay, well it is very rare to see pay go backwards. yeah it could happen, but if it does it would probably still be at a rate higher than my current, not as fun as flying down the Bronx Thru Express <5>, job

i grew up on the White Plains Rd. (2)<5> line in the 90's-00's. and while most of the system had newer cars, we still had the redbirds until about 2002. redbirds= railfan window. for someone like me who's afraid to fly, not to happy about highway safety, and not too keen on the rides at Playland...it was quite a rush flying from 180th to 3rd Ave. every morning on my way to high school on the <5>. its an indescribable feeling.

to talk about the benefits... as long as you get in under Tier 4 you're locked in. for healthcare, the union cried like BABIES when they had to start paying like everybody else (and i would too!). so i expect that wouldn't get taken from us without a fight. heck, its already come back a little bit from 1.53% to 1.5%, PLUS not being applied to overtime earnings! and the pay, well it is very rare to see pay go backwards. yeah it could happen, but if it does it would probably still be at a rate higher than my current, not as fun as flying down the Bronx Thru Express <5>, job

As for the healthcare it's still 1.53% including overtime. As far as the <5> thru-express after a few months the thrill is gone, believe me. Tier 4 or Tier 5 is a different nut. Uncle Fester wants to remove NYC Transit and ,I believe TBTA, from civil service completely so who knows what the plan is going to be there. You seem to get my point though. Some people want the job for reasons other than security or benefits. My people think it's a generational thing. A lot of us were raised by parents and/or grandparents who came through the Depression so benefits, job security, and strong unions were part of our heritage whereas this generation has a somewhat different way of seeing things. That's primarily why my co-workers asked me to pose this question. Thanks for your reply. Anyone else have an opinion ? Feel free to post.

For me, it's a combination of things. I'm not interested in working at a desk and staring at a screen forever and would much prefer being on the move. Job security and benefits are also very important. I also think that it's something that I would really enjoy doing since I have an interest in the system, despite the problems. So to answer your question of whether I would STILL want to come here, YES. I still think that for me it's worth going into and weathering the storm. If things really go to hell I can always leave and go elsewhere which is why it's always good to have a plan B and C.

Uncle Fester wants to remove NYC Transit and ,I believe TBTA, from civil service completely so who knows what the plan is going to be there.

As it stands not all of the MTA agencies are civil service. We (MNR) are not. We are in on the MTA defined benefit pension plan but then again we also get Railroad Retirement Pension (in lieu of social insecurity). Also not all MTA agencies pay 1.53% for their medical. I would not be surprised if we have to start paying into it next contract.

To be honest, I don't really know. Transit is one of the better options out there for me but I want to feel useful not sitting at a desk doing bullshit or making up bullshit like all those bull shit a**holes at the investment banks and accounting firms.

I liked trains as a kid and always thought it would be cool to run them, although if I took a job - any job - with TA it would be with the goal of learning the craft and moving up ultimately to supervision.

But I recognize the changes that have happened (for the worse), making this job not what it was 40 (or even 15) years ago, and I'm not completely sold although it's still a viable option. I just don't want to wind up like one of those loser douche bags who works 12 hours a day on salary 10 years dreaming of the next promotion, for a job in finance or some stupid made up bullshit that contributes no value to society or the economy, then wake up and be 35 and hate my life. That's the shit mid life crises are made of.

But I'd consider it. Reality is work in the US ain't what it's used to be and we're ALL in for tough times ahead, I'd just rather be part of the solution (useful job like moving trains) than the problem (useless jobs like profiting for some useless "firm" off others' misfortune in the stock market).

I've been a Paramedic for 9 years, in EMS for 15, and to be honest, I'm tired of it, and it's not a challenge anymore. Plus, I would not longer get pissed/shit/spat/vomited on, which would be nice.

Best part is that as a Conductor, you only have to worry about the spit. That's an improvement, 1 out of 4! Not bad!

I started on Wall St on 1978. Downsized on 2006, a long ride behind a desk. My thoughts were for a total different direction driving a bus with job security, benefits and maybe a partial pension. Let's hope things are turning around slowly like they say. Obviously nobody should be sitting around and waiting.

This was a great thread idea, even just for therapy.

Thanks

I've always had a passion for subway and bus, more subway. And operating a subway train is somthing I always wanted to do, just because I'm into operating heavy machinery or equipment. Also the job security is a major factor now that I get older and see how important it is to keep a job. But with all this recent bullshit going on with the mta, its really turning me off to the job. I question my choice of joining the mta if I ever get called to what I'm doing now.

As with any career you have to be real dedicated to your job despite the downsides. There are some people who act like grouches but there are others who are very easy-going (I know a certain T/O who's "da bomb", tee hee).

A lot of people tell me that since I have an interest in transit I should become a T/O or something like that, but truth be told, it's not something I'd like to do, it's just a hobby. I don't think that your hobby and your job should interline with each other so much. I'm taking up cinematography in college but hey, I could make a Pelham 123-esque film or something that relates to trains...now THAT would be fun! :P

As a kid I liked cars, buses, trucks. Loved the sound of the engine,even the smell of fuel. My first civil service exam was DSNY in 07, they haven't hired in almost 2 years. I wasn't planning on taking the 8006 B/O exam until a friend told me about it, to give it a shot.

I know all of us waiting on MTA lists have had second thoughts about how the MTA treats its employees. I am sure we all have asked ourselves,"Do i really want to work for people like this?"

Sure we all have had evil bosses before and since day 1 on this forum I have read that working for the MTA is not like working at any other place. You have to weigh the pros and cons and make a decision. Finding and securing a solid paying union job isn't easy these days. So my main motivation for becoming a B/O is for the pension/benefits. I also like working outdoors doing something physical instead of sitting inside an office without seeing the light of day for 8 hrs.

There is nothing worse then being elderly and living in poverty. It's different when you are younger and healthier. They say fear is the biggest motivator and that is very true.

Ive always liked buses since i was 2 years old . i am obsessed with them and i see what they go through now and all of this crap but i still like buses it doesnt matter . I was never really a fan of trains .

As with any career you have to be real dedicated to your job despite the downsides. There are some people who act like grouches but there are others who are very easy-going (I know a certain T/O who's "da bomb", tee hee).

A lot of people tell me that since I have an interest in transit I should become a T/O or something like that, but truth be told, it's not something I'd like to do, it's just a hobby. I don't think that your hobby and your job should interline with each other so much. I'm taking up cinematography in college but hey, I could make a Pelham 123-esque film or something that relates to trains...now THAT would be fun! :P

Is Dedra considered "Da Bomb" to you too? Yeah, her comparison between the nature of the work between subways and buses has been convincing me that being a train operator is less hectic than a bus operator. Train just move forward along the rails and correct lineups while on the bus you steer around the roads along a fixed route while watching out for pedestrians, and other vehicles.

Both roles are equal in terms of difficulty, awareness at all times, and the main goal for both subway and bus, is just to get from point A to point B. To this day, I think operating a bus or subway train seems like a fun job, but you do need to concentrate at all times.

The main reason would be of course the benefits. Compared to what I get currently as a DOE employee, it would be a hugeee bump up. Full health benefits and a pension? Where do I sign up? You also sorta have that job security that you can't really get elsewhere. I'm tired of working an office job and being miserable. I have always had an interest in transit, was also fascinated by how the system worked and always wanted to know more of what this or that signal meant or why it was there whenever I would ride the RFW in the front. I then found out that the examinations were coming up and I decided to apply for conductor and train operator. If I'm going to be working as a Civil Servant, might as well be for the MTA doing something I would enjoy.

In 1986 I used to put up the advertising cards in the trains and the posters on the platforms. The company was called "NY Subway advertising". It was a private company.We would have access to the entire system: Yards, Barns,Stations,lay up tracks in the hole and on structure. This is where I learned about "Track" jobs. I used to see Track Workers a lot and thought the job looked cool. The only mistake I made was not taking the Track Workers test until 1990. I was hired in 1993, and the rest as they say is history...

That being said, If I could do it over again or if I were a young guy/girl looking for a civil service job in the city right now and had a choice, I would take Sanitation, Fireman, or Bridge and Tunnel Officer before any NYC Transit job. The pay is better, the benefits are better, their pensions are better, and they seem to garner much more respect than any title in NYCTA. Don't get me wrong, I've liked working for NYCTA and I like my job as a Trackman(which I think is the best job in the system:cool:), but I just think there are better civil service jobs out there you should look at before NYCTA jobs. If your heart is set on NYCTA, there's some decent paying job titles and good opportunity for promotion. They(NYCTA) are not the best jobs,but you could definitely do worse...

i grew up in transit. my pop's got 24years as a b/o. i did not want to work for

(MTA) as a kid. after i finished in the army i had got my girlfriend knocked up and i knew i needed a good job to provide for my child so my pop's got me the app for the c/r test. i think if it was not for my child i would rather have reenlisted than work for (MTA). i will not lie there are days that i hate this place, then there are days that i like what i do. with the way things are going i would not want my child working here because if we keep getting people like walder running the show there wont be much of a job left. i also would rather have been a fireman with 20 and out than 25/55 because for me to hit 55 i have to do 32years. lets just hope walders days are numbered.

Only reason I took the job was for the pension/medical coverage to be honest. I got laid off from my previous job last June as a cabinetmaker. I was on unemployment b/c I couldn't find work in the same field and I had decided to go back to school for auto mechanics. Mainly to get my certifications b/c I have experience working on cars. I started the school august of last year. Got called from transit in September. I went and did the paperwork for the background check, iirc.. But decided I wanted to finish school instead. They called me back again in November to see if I was still interested, and I changed my mind and decided to give it a shot and was hired in December. Had to quit the school b/c of scheduling conflicts. But i decided it was worth it for the job security. Now, facing layoffs, yes.. I'm a little bitter. Especially if I DO get laid off. B/c I stopped pursuing a long time goal to take the job, now have debt from a student loan I took and nothing to show for it. If I am laid off, I plan on going back to school and finishing and do not plan on coming back to transit if they call me back. If there is no job security, there is no point in me being here. I don't enjoy driving the bus. It's quite boring and aggravating dealing with miserable people everyday. I enjoy working with my hands. But that's just me. I took the job b/c I thought it would provide a secure future for me and my family. But it's not what it use to be and will only get worse. So I would rather take my chances on my own.

As a child growing up on New Looks and RTS', I fell in love the the designs, as well as the engine and all other sounds the buses made. I always wanted to drive for (MTA) as my older brother and other family members had. In college I did a stint as a b/o in Detroit, but decided on a different path as an engineer. At that time I decided to become an Aircraft Maintenance Tech. Now I plan on using all those tools to one day work with the MTA on hybrid bus systems. I have a plan that would generate jobs, and revenue, and put the worlds greatest TA right back on top!

it didnt start out that way for me....

i liked the buses when i was younger, but i wanted to be a cop, a radiologist or a gym teacher..........eventually i began to like the trains, and actually i applied because of the pay and the hope of becoming a t/o..........

my grandfather drove a bus for 26 years(under tier 1 plan)...........

people are still driven to the job because of the pay and benefits.......very few people down here it seems like they like the job.....most are just collecting a paycheck.............

Archived