M5 Bus Now...Its gonna be BAD by Monday

Luis1985

At least for Manhattan regular routes the new M5 is probably Manhattan's longest in terms of distance.

Citywide the longest regular(local bus) is still the Q60 while intraborough the longest local line is the S74.

you make it sound like the Q60 is longer than the S74...

since you're separating interborough from intraborough, are you sure the S79 isn't longer than the Q60?

OK I JUST RODE THE WHOLE LINE TODAY AFTER DROPPING MY GIRL OFF AT WORK AND TO TELL THE TRUTH, IT WASNT BAD. AND MAYBE THAT BECAUSE THERE WAS NO TRAFFIC ALONG THE LINE BUT I GOT ON AT SOUTH FERRY AT 9;30 AND GO TO THE GW AT 11. THATS WITH LIGHT TRAFFIC!

that's why it wasn't so bad....

lucky you....

you make it sound like the Q60 is longer than the S74...

since you're separating interborough from intraborough, are you sure the S79 isn't longer than the Q60?

Here the proof according to the (MTA) own website. read it and weep.:P

Source: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ffbus.htm

"Number of bus stops: 12,500.

Longest rides: The longest local bus routes are Staten Island's S78, which travels 16.5 miles from the St George Ferry Terminal to Main Street in Tottenville and the S74 route, also in Staten Island, which is 17.8 miles long."

Here the proof according to the (MTA) own website. read it and weep.:P

Source: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ffbus.htm

"Number of bus stops: 12,500.

Longest rides: The longest local bus routes are Staten Island's S78, which travels 16.5 miles from the St George Ferry Terminal to Main Street in Tottenville and the S74 route, also in Staten Island, which is 17.8 miles long."

Proves nothing.... Read before you react bro.

I'll ask my question again... in bold this time.

are you sure the S79 isn't longer than the Q60?

Proves nothing.... Read before you react bro.

I'll ask my question again... in bold this time.

are you sure the S79 isn't longer than the Q60?

I agree, the S79 is longer than the Q60.

Since there was two M5's arriving at GWB at once, first M5 which only went to 135th St departured 12:03, arrive 12:33 at 135th St, with another M5 South Ferry LTD behind us, which depart 12:37, and arrive South Ferry at 14:17.

Total time together: 2 hours and 14 minutes.

One way trip from South Ferry to GWB with mix of afternoon rush hour, 14:24 departure at South Ferry, with B/O switch at 135th St, then arrive 178th St at 16:12!!

Total time: 1 hours and 48 minutes.

Agreed. I still would have shortened the M5 to CCNY and sent the M104 further north...

M5:

- Northbound via Riverside, 135th, to Amsterdam.

- Southbound via Amsterdam, 133rd, Broadway, 135th , Riverside.

M104 (renumbered?):

- Northbound via Broadway to G.W. Bridge.

- Southbound from G.W. Bridge via Broadway.

This is probably the best idea to me. Buses can turn around by the Manhattanville garage.

Sooner or later though, the MTA is going to realize that the M5 as composed now is a big mistake, as it's 13 miles in the borough with the worst traffic conditions.

As for the Q60, this is why some rush-hour trips end at the Jamaica railroad station.

To me longest route for all (MTA) operations

M5- GWB to South Ferry

B15 JFK Banch

Long Island Bus

N15, N20, N22/N24, N79., N32

The M5 is only about 13 miles long, as is the B15. I can't vouch for the Long Island buses.

The longest route is the S74. With all of the loops it makes, it comes out to 17.8 miles (Checked it myself on Google Transit). The runtime is probably shorter as there is very little traffic on the South Shore.

Gotham, you saved me the trouble... I was gonna figure it out via mapquest & google maps...

Thanks.

side note:

IMO, the Q60 only feels like it's a longer (distance) b/c buses spend more time on QB (compared to the S79 on Hylan blvd & Richmond av).... that has to do with runtime, not distance.....

Ok Gotham that MTA website is wrong. What is the longest local bus in NYC either (MTA) or (NYCT) route?:confused:

you keep bringing up the MTA website...

for whatever the reason, you don't seem to get it...

no one's disputing the S74 & S78....

Archived