R33/R36 Discussions

Harry

The old Redbirds. A favorite of many subway fans. A favorite of mine. Even though the R26s, R328s, R29s, R33s and R36s were all considered Redbirds, we'll discuss the R33s.

shea1.jpg

Photo by: Mario Tama

Car: R33/R36

Manufacturer: St. Louis Car

Year: 1962-63

Division: A (IRT)

Car Numbers: 8806-9305/9306-9345

I believe they were built to last about 35 years which is pretty good but should have been longer.

They lasted how ever long they (R33s) did because of the over hauls that they were put thru. Otherwise they would have spent much less time than that in service.

• 1 year later...

Car #s 8806-9075 ,which were part of the (5) fleet for many years, were the best IRT cars I've ever operated. Especially after the overhaul. We say that train operators run the R62 and up cars but real motormen run the older equipment like the 33's and 36's. The new jacks can't handle them. I could tell by the way the operator made a station stop on a redbird if it was a motorman or train operator in the cab. Smooth stops on a redbird usually meant an experienced person was in the cab. When the R62/62A cars came online they were designed so that anyone could make a smooth stop. The old time motor instructors said that the newer trains were " dumbed down " so that there would be less complaints about hard stops or trains bucking while starting or stopping. They were right.

Oh Shut up, The redbirds among the best just like the R32's so you need to keep it shut bellyfag.

You shut up,The redbirds and R32 are not the best and you don't know everything so you need to shut up R32fag.

You always don't tell the truth anyway.

Guys, this name calling makes you seem immature. This is supposed to be a civilized forum. Cut it out.

And 3838 is stating his opinion, Bellyshirt. He has a right to his, and you have a right to yours. You can't say he's not telling the truth because it's not a statement of fact.

Archived