New Fantasy Map

BJSm

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Some of this map was based off of ideas I've seen on here. However, much of it is original and a lot is a synthesis of others' ideas. Without further ado...

nycsubway.png

I will explain anything on request, currently working on a list of lines and changes. In a few places, new underground lines replace old elevateds (especially along the J/Z).

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice map! Interesting concept: I notice on the (A), you've combined 80th Street (Hudson) and 88th Street (Boyd) into a new Sutter Avenue Station and split 104th Street (Oxford), 111th Street (Greenwood) and Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard between a new Rockaway Boulevard and a 127th Street Stations.

Where is your Rockaway Boulevard Station located between Cross Bay Boulevard and 127th Street? Appears to be a small gap on each side.

Also, I like the (T) on Third Avenue. :cool:

:pvl:

Nice map! Interesting concept: I notice on the (A), you've combined 80th Street (Hudson) and 88th Street (Boyd) into a new Sutter Avenue Station and split 104th Street (Oxford), 111th Street (Greenwood) and Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard between a new Rockaway Boulevard and a 127th Street Stations.

Where is your Rockaway Boulevard Station located between Cross Bay Boulevard and 127th Street? Appears to be a small gap on each side.

Also, I like the (T) on Third Avenue. :cool:

I have the Liberty Avenue El knocked down and replaced by an underground line that runs under Old South Rd and then cuts across to Cross Bay Blvd and to the Rockaway Blvd-Linden Blvd junction. From there it runs under Linden Blvd to Brewer Blvd and then alongside the LIRR tracks to Rosedale. There is no service gap on the west side of Rockaway Blvd because of the Aqueduct Racetrack (and the Jamaica Av El being replaced by an underground line beneath Fulton St to Rockaway Blvd and thereafter beneath Atlantic Av). However, you are right that an additional stop at Lefferts Blvd could help, but the E is very long, reaching all the way to Rosedale, and I wanted to keep the number of stations to an absolute minimum. Also, the area is covered to some extent by the W running under Rockaway Blvd and stopping at Rockaway and Foch Blvd and Rockaway and Liberty Av.)

Also, the E replaces the A on that route; the A takes the cutoff across East Broadway to the Broadway/Bushwick trunk line instead. (The C is still local on the Fulton St route; the redesigned M is local with the A express beyond Wyckoff and is the 8th Avenue Line train that cuts across Bed-Stuy under Lafayette Av to meet the C/E at Hoyt-Schermerhorn.)

The P/T/U/Y are on Second Avenue; the little kink on the map north of 14th St was just to get enough room on the map for labels and to line up visually with the Chrystie St Cut further down.

Awesome map!!! You could try a line to Kings Plaza, Brooklyn.

It's also amusing how the (E) line is an almost full circle.

The V comes very close to Kings Plaza; the Flatbush Av-Marine Park stop is at Flatbush and Utica Av. I suppose there could be another stop at Avenue U for Kings Plaza, though.

I suppose the circularity of the E could be avoided a bit if the E ran along Hillside Av, replacing the F, and the F took over the E extension to Belmont.

I was also thinking about sending the J up the Chrystie St Cut. It is the only line with fewer stops on this map than in real life, so it has room to be extended. But I couldn't think of anywhere to send it afterwards! Any ideas?

Great work!

But I have to agree that you should probably extend the Utica line to the Mall. There's not much in that area [utica-Flatbush] other than a Petco/burger king/Dunkin Donuts and the FB bus depot. The mall would totally justify the line and take the burden off the b46.

Great work!

But I have to agree that you should probably extend the Utica line to the Mall. There's not much in that area [utica-Flatbush] other than a Petco/burger king/Dunkin Donuts and the FB bus depot. The mall would totally justify the line and take the burden off the b46.

Okay, I have a new version with a few changes that will be up as soon as I have access to my main computer. Also will have brief summaries for the IRT lines up when that comes. Any other ideas?

Here's an update to the original map. I added the stop at Kings Plaza and also changed/extended the IRT lines a bit. The 7 in the West Village follows 13th St and then Hudson St while the 9 in Brooklyn follows Rockaway Pkwy after it breaks off from the 3.

I'm considering the possibility of extending the L under Kings Hwy, or alternatively along the unused rail line that breaks off from the L at New Lots. (The extended 9 train covers the last two L stops sufficiently, so they could be closed in such an event.) However, the L is very long, and I'm not really convinced that a cross-Brooklyn line would have much ridership.

Also, if I were to extend the subway to Staten Island, it would have to be a new Broadway Line train that would run express up 4th Ave in Brooklyn alongside the N. At the moment, however, I am of the opinion that the best solution is a separate system for Staten Island, although a rail tunnel to connect the end of that system to the main subway system at the 59th St stop on 4th Ave in Brooklyn (thus allowing a transfer to the N express service to Manhattan) would be ideal.

nycsubway.png

I keep having new ideas. Here's a map with a Staten Island connection (two, in fact). The SIRR is not shown but would run as currently with transfers at St George and Tompkinsville.

The P is now a Broadway Line train. The M is now a 2nd Ave Line train. The new H is an 8th Ave Line train, and the new I is a 6th Ave Line train.

On Staten Island, the I follows Victory Blvd to Richmond Ave, then Richmond Ave to the Mall; while the P follows Castleton Ave to Port Richmond Ave, then Port Richmond Ave to Forest Ave, then Forest Ave to Harbor Rd.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

nycsubway.png

I know you want every neighborhood covered (including those who would very much NIMBY subway service (such as Whitestone), but suprised there's still ideas left out...

1 - lines that originated in the Bronx, went through Queens, and ended in Manhattan.

2 - no service to City Island.

3 - no station stop at 103/CPW for 2/3/C service.

1. Demand for such a route strikes me as very small. And the Bronx-Queens traveler does have a much easier and faster two-seat ride using the G on 125th St. An alternative routing of the G would see it go into the Bronx instead of Harlem, but IMO it is more useful where I placed it.

2. City Island, with less than 5,000 residents and far removed from other development, is too small and remote to justify a subway line. Lines should be extended under the Hudson and into Long Island and Westchester first.

3. Not something I'd thought of, will add a 104th/CPW station on the 2/3 with a transfer to the B/C/H at 103rd St.

Its an old railroad line used for freight that they are planning to convert into a subway line

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_Ridge_Branch

plan-small.png

Run it from Inwood 207 Street to 4th Av Brooklyn.

See if you can add this and the other suggestions and upload the new map as soon as possible. Also Randall Island might not need a subway station it is an island with prisoners and anyway most of it is just parks with a small population of 1,386 people from the 2000 census.

Have you also thought about extending the (:o line to Coney Island

Extend the (P) and (I) line to Tottenville the southern side of Staten Island

The (G) line should be extended to meet the Triboro RX Line and also terminate at 4th Avenue Brooklyn

The area west of the (1) and (9) line could have a line run there or split either the (1) or (9) and have it run west

Also extend the (6) Line to Orchard Beach

If there is a chance bring back the (JFK) but run it on the abandoned LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch all the way to LaGuardia Airport and then into Manhattan VIA 3rd Avenue and terminate it at Wall Street with some transfers at major and local stations and the (JFK) could be called the Airport Connector with local fare $2.25

Connect the Times Square Grand Central (S) the Franklin Avenue (S) and the Rockaway Shuttle (S) to create a major subway Line Via 191 Street Manhattan to Broad Channel

Extend the (6) to the Sea Beach Line Via new tunnel and make it run Express on the Sea Beach Line (N) like the former (NX) Express

Run the (8) into the tunnel too but have it run along the (R)

Compliment: The (A) is still the longest line in the system 64 stations and four boroughs ;)

If the Staten Island Railway is going to become an (S) Try extending it to New Jersey so it could help the people on the light rail and run on into Manhattan and Terminate it at 191 St running along the rest of the (S) but to keep it different make it a <S>

Is the Triboro RX line still under consideration? It sure is a good proposal, although a transfer to the (N) and (Q) at Ditmars Boulevard will be difficult to construct as the Amtrak NEC r.o.w. is high above the Ditmars platform and there are buildings right up against the line. Much work would need to be done to build a transfer there and make it ADA-compliant.

Is the Triboro RX line still under consideration? It sure is a good proposal, although a transfer to the (N) and (Q) at Ditmars Boulevard will be difficult to construct as the Amtrak NEC r.o.w. is high above the Ditmars platform and there are buildings right up against the line. Much work would need to be done to build a transfer there and make it ADA-compliant.

They could just do an out-of-system transfer, couldn't they?

Anyway, the Triboro RX line is not a particularly good investment here for a few reasons. One is that the extensions on this map do a better job of covering a lot of the areas the RX would cover. It would probably be a good addition to the current map, but I don't see what it accomplishes here other than a cross-Brooklyn line (useful but probably better done as an extension of the L).

The B I will connect to the D and Coney Island. I'm also extending the I via the HH Parkway to Spuyten Duyvil and Riverdale, thus eliminating the need for a split of the 1/9.

The I could go to Tottenville mainly for the Mall service; the SIRR would still exist on this map, so service to Tottenville is unnecessary otherwise.

While I have considered ways to put the Franklin Ave Shuttle to use as a part of a line under Bedford Ave to get Manhattan service to woefully underserved Bed-Stuy, the other two shuttle are more or less useless. And I think there's no real need for a Bedford Ave line on this map, with the M offering direct Manhattan service in Bed-Stuy.

Randalls/Wards gets a stop because of its heavy use as a recreation area by surrounding communities. And because the G runs through there anyway, so it might as well have a stop.

Here's a new update to the map with a few of the suggested changes. Also coming soon are (some) route descriptions, including a summary of late night and weekend service. It's not finished yet, though.

nycsubway.png

Archived