After Doomsday: Bronx Bus service 1 month later after the cuts

Shortline Bus

-For the Bx8 via Country Club, some on Stadium Av say that there's too many buses during weekdays. If that's the case, have every other bus run between Williamsbridge and Westchester Square during the week since buses run every half-hour on weekends.

Really... sit down & think about the type of people that complain about TOO MUCH bus service....

I see no reason to limit Bx8 service due to residents of a particular neighborhood bitching about the routing, and the number of buses/day that travels along it.... so we're now gonna succumb to these people's complaints, while further screwing other neighborhoods (in this case, Edgewater Park & parts of Schuylerville)... bump that...

I mean, this is the same shit that came to the forefront with Whitestone residents up in Queens - people bitching about buses going down narrow roads... same tired excuses... just deny THOSE people of service, period... but there's a problem with that too... I'll touch on that towards the end of my post....

While I always thought that the Bx4 should've been re-routed through Parkchester (along with the axing of the Bx14) to (still) end at Westchester Sq..... Instead, the 14 is gone at the expense of Parkchester riders... At the same time, the Bx8 was slated to get re-routed, so those ingrates in Country Club would (still) have direct (6) access @ PBP....

I'm sure you see how ass-backwards that is; to take away service from those who appreciated (and used it) is w/ no qualms whatsoever.... and actually retain some type of service (as a compromise) by re-routing another route through a neighborhood....

...that's crying about, there's too many buses passing by my house, we spent so much money to be around peach & quiet, this that, and the third....

but riddle me this....

Had the MTA simply gotten rid of the Bx14 with no (direct) alternate service whatsoever, guess who would be the same group of people bitching and complaining....

NIMBY's make me sick......

Really... sit down & think about the type of people that complain about TOO MUCH bus service....

I see no reason to limit Bx8 service due to residents of a particular neighborhood bitching about the routing, and the number of buses/day that travels along it.... so we're now gonna succumb to these people's complaints, while further screwing other neighborhoods (in this case, Edgewater Park & parts of Schuylerville)... bump that...

I mean, this is the same shit that came to the forefront with Whitestone residents up in Queens - people bitching about buses going down narrow roads... same tired excuses... just deny THOSE people of service, period... but there's a problem with that too... I'll touch on that towards the end of my post....

While I always thought that the Bx4 should've been re-routed through Parkchester (along with the axing of the Bx14) to (still) end at Westchester Sq..... Instead, the 14 is gone at the expense of Parkchester riders... At the same time, the Bx8 was slated to get re-routed, so those ingrates in Country Club would (still) have direct (6) access @ PBP....

I'm sure you see how ass-backwards that is; to take away service from those who appreciated (and used it) is w/ no qualms whatsoever.... and actually retain some type of service (as a compromise) by re-routing another route through a neighborhood....

...that's crying about, there's too many buses passing by my house, we spent so much money to be around peach & quiet, this that, and the third....

but riddle me this....

Had the MTA simply gotten rid of the Bx14 with no (direct) alternate service whatsoever, guess who would be the same group of people bitching and complaining....

NIMBY's make me sick......

I agree with you 100%. And the messed up part of this is that Mr. James Vacca (who's the transportation chair in the City Council, and happens to serve Country Club along with Morris Park, Throggs Neck, and Westchester Square) was crying foul about Country Club losing service. These residents should at least be grateful that Country Club actually has MORE service than when the old Bx14 ran through there. But no, the Stadium Avenue residents complain that too many buses run through their quiet block. If they don't like it, they can move out.

Does anyone know the changes the Bx55 went through over the years? I only know these:

*It was initially a 24/7 route that served Gun Hill Road to The Hub before the 1995 cuts.

*After September 1995, 24/7 service was retained, but it only served Fordham and The Hub at 1AM to 5AM.

*When 2002 came, late night service was replaced by the Bx15 from Fordham to The Hub. (At least, that's what my 2002 map says)

*Service to Gun Hill Road became a weekday-only extension in July 2004.

*Bx55 route is a weekday-only route as of June 27, 2010.

There was also a branch to Yankee Stadium that ran all times (every 40 minutes late nights + 40 minutes from The Hub = 20 minutes on the main line). I think it was eliminated in 1995.

Oops, I left that detail out. How long were the headways during the day? (the 151 St branch)?

It traveled on 161st Street.

According to my 1993 bus map, The headways were every 10 minutes weekday rush hours, 20 minutes weekday off-peak and Saturdays, and 24 minutes Sundays (except PM rush hour when service ran every 20 minutes). The main line to 149th Street was much more frequent.

I agree with you 100%. And the messed up part of this is that Mr. James Vacca (who's the transportation chair in the City Council, and happens to serve Country Club along with Morris Park, Throggs Neck, and Westchester Square) was crying foul about Country Club losing service. These residents should at least be grateful that Country Club actually has MORE service than when the old Bx14 ran through there. But no, the Stadium Avenue residents complain that too many buses run through their quiet block. If they don't like it, they can move out.

Agreed completely! I remember Vacca was throwing hammers about losing the Bx14. They kept a bus, in fact, they kept a more useful bus that can take them to more places than the Bx14 ever did! To top it off, the Bx8 doesn't run that late, anyway... just goes to show you that you can't please everyone.

Agreed completely! I remember Vacca was throwing hammers about losing the Bx14. They kept a bus, in fact, they kept a more useful bus that can take them to more places than the Bx14 ever did! To top it off, the Bx8 doesn't run that late, anyway... just goes to show you that you can't please everyone.

My idea was to have the Bx29 go to Locust Point from City Island. But I bet you if that ever happened, Vacca and Assemblyman Mike Benedetto would cry about City Islanders losing access to Bay Plaza.

My idea was to have the Bx29 go to Locust Point from City Island. But I bet you if that ever happened, Vacca and Assemblyman Mike Benedetto would cry about City Islanders losing access to Bay Plaza.

But you could argue that the Bx12 is very frequent, and the Bx29 would still stop at Pelham Bay Park, which to me is more important for City Island residents than Bay Plaza.

Good idea about the Bx29, but, you're right, the politicians would shoot it down

-The Bx38 is getting more and more riders in Coop City. Although the Bx28 gives Section 5 riders a Coop City bypass route to the (5) train and Montefiore Hospital, most of the time the Bx28 and Bx38 often meet up at Edson Av, resulting in bunching.

The reason why the Bx38 is crowded is because people have to wait 15-20 mins for the bus to show up and it's scheduled that way too so the longer you have to wait, the better the chance is that the bus will be crowded and I've seen this happen since this affect me directly. The Bx30 is more crowded too because the Bx28 doesn't go anywhere but Secton 5. There is potential for the Bx38 to be a good line, but for that to happen, the Bx38 should run to Midnight every night and it needs to have better headways. It should run how the Bx28 to Norwood used to run, 5-8 mins between buses, not 12-20 mins like it does now. It still sucks not having the Bx26 come around most of Co-Op City. Thats my 2 cents on this.

But you could argue that the Bx12 is very frequent, and the Bx29 would still stop at Pelham Bay Park, which to me is more important for City Island residents than Bay Plaza.

Good idea about the Bx29, but, you're right, the politicians would shoot it down

That's how my Bx29 would be, it would run from City Island to Locust Point. It's the same from City Island to Pelham Bay Park, then runs on the Bx8 line to Locust Point.

The reason why the Bx38 is crowded is because people have to wait 15-20 mins for the bus to show up and it's scheduled that way too so the longer you have to wait, the better the chance is that the bus will be crowded and I've seen this happen since this affect me directly. The Bx30 is more crowded too because the Bx28 doesn't go anywhere but Secton 5. There is potential for the Bx38 to be a good line, but for that to happen, the Bx38 should run to Midnight every night and it needs to have better headways. It should run how the Bx28 to Norwood used to run, 5-8 mins between buses, not 12-20 mins like it does now. It still sucks not having the Bx26 come around most of Co-Op City. Thats my 2 cents on this.

I agree with you on this one. In addition, the Bx38 goes through the more popular portions of Coop City, such as the Educational Complex (includes Truman HS) and Dreiser Loop.

I agree with you on this one. In addition, the Bx38 goes through the more popular portions of Coop City, such as the Educational Complex (includes Truman HS) and Dreiser Loop.

And those points you bring up makes it even more baffling as to why they would mess with the Bx28 the way that they did. There was nothing wrong with service as it was before June 27th. Now you have to make sure you don't get on the wrong bus when you never had to worry about that a month ago.

Another point, if the Bx38 has to stay at its current schedule, then the Bx28 should start going around ALL of Co-Op City after the last Bx38 bus leaves Norwood-205th St. The Bx30's headways are now buses every 20 mins after 6 or 7pm. I shouldn't have to wait that long for a bus to get to section 1 when I didnt have to do that before. It's all bullshit.

And those points you bring up makes it even more baffling as to why they would mess with the Bx28 the way that they did. There was nothing wrong with service as it was before June 27th. Now you have to make sure you don't get on the wrong bus when you never had to worry about that a month ago.

Another point, if the Bx38 has to stay at its current schedule, then the Bx28 should start going around ALL of Co-Op City after the last Bx38 bus leaves Norwood-205th St. The Bx30's headways are now buses every 20 mins after 6 or 7pm. I shouldn't have to wait that long for a bus to get to section 1 when I didnt have to do that before. It's all bullshit.

For some parts of Co Op City the QBx1 is the only bus stopping there until after midnight (especially weekday evenings after 8:30pm)

As i said before the BX28 should serve all of COOP CITY 24/7. Ditto for the new BX23 when it starts in Sept. as replacement for the QBX1 COOP section.

I think the (MTA) meant well on this plan but this plans stinks since the headways got cut down due not only to the budget cuts but they thinking the new routing serving parts of COOP would cut down travel time.

Sounds like the BX28/38 and BX26 needs artics in worst way since the changes began.

For some parts of Co Op City the QBx1 is the only bus stopping there until after midnight (especially weekday evenings after 8:30pm)

You're absolutely right and when that happens, it's pure hell cause once the sun goes down, the QBx1 runs every half hour. It really sucks when that happen. I have relatives that live in Asch Loop and it's the only bus that goes to my house. Luckily, I know when the bus gets to Asch Loop so when I visit them, I have to either leave them earlier or later than I did before the service cuts. I hate it.

As i said before the BX28 should serve all of COOP CITY 24/7. Ditto for the new BX23 when it starts in Sept. as replacement for the QBX1 COOP section.

I agree with you 200% with that.

I think the (MTA) meant well on this plan but this plans stinks since the headways got cut down due not only to the budget cuts but they thinking the new routing serving parts of COOP would cut down travel time.

Well I don't think the meant well at all with the cuts. If they were really giving a damn, they would have been here more to see what kind of damage cuts like these would do and they probably wouldn't have done half of what they did.

Sounds like the BX28/38 and BX26 needs artics in worst way since the changes began.

Before the cuts, yeah the Bx28 needed the Artics. Now, I don't know. I don't think they do. It's all about headways and it seems like the headways suck all across the board now. The (MTA) f**ked Co-Op City real bad with these cuts.

You're absolutely right and when that happens, it's pure hell cause once the sun goes down, the QBx1 runs every half hour. It really sucks when that happen. I have relatives that live in Asch Loop and it's the only bus that goes to my house. Luckily, I know when the bus gets to Asch Loop so when I visit them, I have to either leave them earlier or later than I did before the service cuts. I hate it.

QBx1 is 15 minutes combined if you get on at Pelham Bay and don't care how you get to Asch Loop (1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1).

the 26 doesn't need Artics.....Have u rode the 26 before?

Co-op is a mess the bx38 should just be a part-time bus with better headways it feels like service got reduced quite a bit. Hopefully the Bx23 can pick up some slack too isnt it supposed to have increase headways when the split occurs?

Co-op is a mess the bx38 should just be a part-time bus with better headways it feels like service got reduced quite a bit. Hopefully the Bx23 can pick up some slack too isnt it supposed to have increase headways when the split occurs?

I doubt it. However, since the Bx23 isn't going to Queens, it wouldn't have as many delays as the QBx1 has now.

That's because the headways were reduced. When the Bx28 to Norwood went all around Co-op, the headways, I believe, were 5-8 mins. The service here is on average 15 mins. That's totally unacceptable. I have noticed that the Bx38 seems to be running later than 8:30 on the weekdays lately. I wonder how long it's running to now, if they've changed the hours. It's a mess, no matter how you cut it.

The Bx23 is a totally different animal since it's not going down Gun Hill Rd. Hopefully, the headways will be better than the current QBx1. We will see.

The MTA really screwed Co-op City over... I thought the service on the Bx5 was bad... but the Bx28 was wrecked. Hopefully the MTA will realize how bad things are. I admit I felt Co-op had a lot more bus service than they needed prior to the cuts. But it seems like now all the service is in section 5 and Arch Loop, while the rest of Co-op is sparsely served. I really thought the Bx28/38 route was going to simply be the same service just split in Co-op City (Norwood Bx28s become Bx38). But it seems like they took the opportunity to cut service back as well.

The Bx26 didnt change much except it skips northern Co-op. Which is why i thought the MTA should have kept the Bx25 and run peak weekday service via the same route of the Bx38 thru N. Co-op.

As for the Bx23 lets see. cotb16 your probably right. Judging on how they've done to the Bx28/38, I'm sure service at best will just be slightly more timely if not the same.

The MTA really screwed Co-op City over... I thought the service on the Bx5 was bad... but the Bx28 was wrecked. Hopefully the MTA will realize how bad things are. I admit I felt Co-op had a lot more bus service than they needed prior to the cuts. But it seems like now all the service is in section 5 and Arch Loop, while the rest of Co-op is sparsely served. I really thought the Bx28/38 route was going to simply be the same service just split in Co-op City (Norwood Bx28s become Bx38). But it seems like they took the opportunity to cut service back as well.

The Bx26 didnt change much except it skips northern Co-op. Which is why i thought the MTA should have kept the Bx25 and run peak weekday service via the same route of the Bx38 thru N. Co-op.

As for the Bx23 lets see. cotb16 your probably right. Judging on how they've done to the Bx28/38, I'm sure service at best will just be slightly more timely if not the same.

I'm glad you got the revelation. The (MTA) treats Section 5 as if it's the most important part of Co-op City with it being separated by the river but it isn't. I respect the area but so many more people are being inconvienced because all the service is going to Sec. 5 and ignoring everyone else and it's wrong. All areas need to be served equally. I wish June 27th never happened.

I'm glad you got the revelation. The (MTA) treats Section 5 as if it's the most important part of Co-op City with it being separated by the river but it isn't. I respect the area but so many more people are being inconvienced because all the service is going to Sec. 5 and ignoring everyone else and it's wrong. All areas need to be served equally. I wish June 27th never happened.

Section 5 has always had more service than the rest of Co Op City (except some QBx1 rush hour trips that end at Bellamy Loop). Section 5 did lose half of the Bx28/Bx38 service though.

Bx25, Bx29, QBx1 (rush hour), and Bx12*

*for a while even the W/B Bx12 went through section 5 due to construction.

Speaking of Co-op City, I wonder if there should be a reorganization of routes that would provide 1-4 with better service as well:

1. Extend the Bx12 Local to City Island, replacing the Bx29; the Bx12 Local would be downgraded to rigids as it has a hard time justifying artics on many runs as it is, and truncate it to Grand Concourse.

2. The other half of the Bx29 would be combined with the Bx38, which would operate as follows from 205 Street: Regular to Bartow, Sections 1, 2, and 3, Bay Plaza, Section 5, and Pelham Bay Park subway station.

Archived