Creating a brown R or extending a new brown V to 4th Av

Roadcruiser1

I've been wondering about this, but I've never asked..... as short as the Astoria line is, why does it need 2 train services - (N)(W) previously, and (N)(Q) now?

The neighborhood of Astoria is overcrowded, and has too many people for one train line alone to handle.

That plus the line is too short for the express to get much usage. Maybe if the PA built another AirTrain line to Astoria Blvd, then maybe the express might be a bit more useful? [probably not.]

I also agree that the (Q) should short turn some trains at Astoria Blvd and 57th/7th so that Astoria-Ditmars is not overwhelmed in having to turn back 2 major lines.

That plus the line is too short for the express to get much usage. Maybe if the PA built another AirTrain line to Astoria Blvd, then maybe the express might be a bit more useful? [probably not.]

I also agree that the (Q) should short turn some trains at Astoria Blvd and 57th/7th so that Astoria-Ditmars is not overwhelmed in having to turn back 2 major lines.

BTW, IIRC they started short-turning some (N) trains at 57 Street. Why (N)s instead of (Q)s?

Well with no (Q) the (N) has plenty of room to beef up service, and the (R) as well. It cant be good fiscal policy to have all those trains up there. Now with better information, I look at it now as something similar to the Flatbush leg (2)(5). Really need both lines down there at Flatbush in the peak. Middays not so much, the Flat trains run close to empty except for the cars near the middle, and slowly gain ridership as the train makes its way toward and into Manhattan. The (5) went to Brooklyn middays to move merging delays out of Manhattan. Maybe the (Q) should only be there during the rush. But I do remember the time before the (W) when only the (N) went up there. Quite possibly, no (Q) at all should be up there, just extra (N) service, some of which terminates at Whitehall during the rush (which is basically the same thing as having a (W) but without the extra management). I know Sea Beach wants their train over the bridge (which is why its not going back through the tunnel again)

BTW, IIRC they started short-turning some (N) trains at 57 Street. Why (N)s instead of (Q)s?

(Q)s short-turn also, at least 2 in the morning when I head out. I am not sure about the afternoons or evenings though.

But why (N)s as well as (Q)s, instead of just more (Q)s?

Well I am not sure, the (N) I see every morning heads to Lower Level of City Hall for storage. The 1st (Q) doesn't always go back into service it seems, sometimes it just goes up 63 St for storage. The 2nd (Q) usually is as the doors are open. I never ride it since it usually the (Q) from Queens comes and leaves before the (Q) at 57th does.

Well with no (Q) the (N) has plenty of room to beef up service, and the (R) as well. It cant be good fiscal policy to have all those trains up there. Now with better information, I look at it now as something similar to the Flatbush leg (2)(5). Really need both lines down there at Flatbush in the peak. Middays not so much, the Flat trains run close to empty except for the cars near the middle, and slowly gain ridership as the train makes its way toward and into Manhattan. The (5) went to Brooklyn middays to move merging delays out of Manhattan. Maybe the (Q) should only be there during the rush. But I do remember the time before the (W) when only the (N) went up there. Quite possibly, no (Q) at all should be up there, just extra (N) service, some of which terminates at Whitehall during the rush (which is basically the same thing as having a (W) but without the extra management). I know Sea Beach wants their train over the bridge (which is why its not going back through the tunnel again)

Does the (W) need to have separate line management if it were to be resurrected as a rush-hours only service? Can't (N) line management oversee both services? It would make more sense to call the extra (N)'s as (W)'s so there's no confusion over where the train is going.

I also remember the bad old days of the 1990s when the (N) handled Astoria alone 24/7. It was always overcrowded and it took forever to leave the stations with all the door-holding. They definitely need two services there on weekdays and for both to make all stops in Queens.

Agreed, I never understood why they had to kill the (W) outright when having the (N) and (Q) cover for the (W) seems to make things worse than it is. If anything the rush hours is where the (W) was best in keeping everything running normally. That plus I think the (N) alone in Queens would've been fine during the middays.

Agreed, I never understood why they had to kill the (W) outright when it having the (N) and (Q) cover for the (W) seems to make things worse than it is. If anything the rush hours is where the (W) was best in keeping everything running normally. That plus I think the (N) alone in Queens would've been fine during the middays.

Yeah, and they can just swap cars when the (W) runs.

Does the (W) need to have separate line management if it were to be resurrected as a rush-hours only service? Can't (N) line management oversee both services? It would make more sense to call the extra (N)'s as (W)'s so there's no confusion over where the train is going.

I also remember the bad old days of the 1990s when the (N) handled Astoria alone 24/7. It was always overcrowded and it took forever to leave the stations with all the door-holding. They definitely need two services there on weekdays and for both to make all stops in Queens.

The (W) would no longer have its own line manager. There's no more line managers; they were cut this year. Now it's one manager per division (IRT/BMT/IND).

Guest lance25
...You also won't be able to resurrect the <R> because people will be confused. That's why the <Q> and (W) were introduced during the final stage of the Manhattan Bridge project, rather than bringing back the D and B....

Quoted myself to say the same thing.

Thats just because the (R) is so god damn slow. On West End, however, riders don't need the (Mx) because its not really too crowded up there

About the (Q) on Astoria: I go by Astoria everyday, but I gotta say, sometimes I enjoy the (Q) on Astoria. Why? Because the (Q) runs more frequently than the (W) did, so 1/2 of the (Q) trains usually get sent via Astoria Express, and once people see that express rolling in, the rush right to it, like me

About the (Q) on Astoria: I go by Astoria everyday, but I gotta say, sometimes I enjoy the (Q) on Astoria. Why? Because the (Q) runs more frequently than the (W) did, so 1/2 of the (Q) trains usually get sent via Astoria Express, and once people see that express rolling in, the rush right to it, like me

That's also the current problem, the amount of (W)s were fine, the amount of (Q)s being sent up there just makes Astoria a complete clusterf**k. Which on Tuesday when the Astoria Express G.O. cut (Q) back to 57St-7Ave, it actually made the Midday service work since the (Q) wouldn't have to wait at 34St anyways.

When the rebuilding of the WTC is completed which could bring a lot more jobs to Lower Manhattan, the brown (V) can run from Chambers to Bay Parkway all times except late nights.

Why don't they run 11-cars 60' footers on the (Q) in the future probaly the R211 (if it's 60') order and that'll probaly solve it w/out the need for the (W) I don't know..... but can Astoria, Broadway and Brighton lines even handle 11-car 60' footers. I still say the (Q) to Astoria and the (N) to Harlem.

When the rebuilding of the WTC is completed which could bring a lot more jobs to Lower Manhattan, the brown (V) can run from Chambers to Bay Parkway all times except late nights.

Why don't they run 11-cars 60' footers on the (Q) in the future probaly the R211 (if it's 60') order and that'll probaly solve it w/out the need for the (W) I don't know..... but can Astoria, Broadway and Brighton lines even handle 11-car 60' footers. I still say the (Q) to Astoria and the (N) to Harlem.

If I remember correctly, they did a R160 11 car test on the (F) and (G) in the past, it was a complete failure.

As someone who doesn't really understand how signaling works, why exactly is this a problem? The 11 car train was setting two signals at the same time?

The 11 car train would either go on the next signal in front of it, or not clear the signal behind it, causing more spacing in between trains.

Archived