The Mobile/Smartphone Thread

What is your favorite mobile operating system?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite mobile operating system?

• Android (Google)
    • Blackberry OS (RIM)
    • iOS (Apple Inc.)
    • Symbian OS (Symbian Foundation)
    • webOS (Palm)
    • Windows Mobile (Microsoft)

Ive been a member of CB since 2009 (Im '9of13'). Before that i was a member of Pinstack. I was also a Theme Dev from 07 till late 2011. Ive been using a Style 9670 since i went to sprint 2 years ago. My favorite device has been the Bold 9700 when i was on T-mobile. Ive also had the Pearl 8100 and the Pearl Flip 8220. Ive tried the Curves as well as the Storm. 

Ive waited for the Z10 for so long im switching carriers in late  March/early April since Sprint will only be getting the Q10 QWERTY.

I blame my want for the Z10 on my PlayBook tablet.

And if the Z10 is the evolution of the PB OS so im waitin!

Edited by Far Rock Depot

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very smooth! The Q10 has the guestures too. but I want the bigger screen. and if the virtual keyboard on the Z10 is everyhing they're saying it is, ill have no problem ditching the physical keyboard. I like the PlayBook's keyboard. and the Z's keybaord looks like the physical! I'm dying to check out the "BlackBerry Hub"!

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

very smooth! The Q10 has the guestures too. but I want the bigger screen. and if the virtual keyboard on the Z10 is everyhing they're saying it is, ill have no problem ditching the physical keyboard. I like the PlayBook's keyboard. and the Z's keybaord looks like the physical! I'm dying to check out the "BlackBerry Hub"! Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

I've heard nothing but praise for the virtual keyboard, its a winner for me

• 3 months later...

God damn, the HTC one seems pretty under-rated here. I mean... Look at this thing!

600514_385588954883397_568541980_n.png

I'll add that the Speaker AKA HTC BoomSound sounds way better in quality than other smartphone and I said this better, but the build quality puts Apple on a round for it's money. Tested it out once, satisfaction at it's best.

https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=HTC-One-Glacial-Silver

God damn, the HTC one seems pretty under-rated here. I mean... Look at this thing!

600514_385588954883397_568541980_n.png

I'll add that the Speaker AKA HTC BoomSound sounds way better in quality than other smartphone and I said this better, but the build quality puts Apple on a round for it's money. Tested it out once, satisfaction at it's best.

https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=HTC-One-Glacial-Silver

I wouldn't call it underrated. Every phone critic i've read gave this a really good rating and many said it beats the Galaxy S4. The only thing is I don't think people will buy it in droves like the S4.

• 2 months later...

My contract is up. What phone is hot right now I've been out of the smartphone loop for a while.

Well if you want the hot hype phone that's out right now then get the iPhone 5... our maybe wait for the iPhone 6... if you want a big phone then you can try for the galaxy s4 from Samsung. those are just my two types..

I've had an HTC Thunderbolt. At the time of its release, it was quick. Now that all smart phones are more or less 4G-enabled, its crappy battery life becomes a nuisance. I got Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD and it has had all the good features of my previous phone plus a very long battery life. I can forget to charge it and still be fine the next day. The camera isn't as great as some other phones though.

My contract is up. What phone is hot right now I've been out of the smartphone loop for a while.

I love my iPhone 5 and would recommend it to anyone, but rumors are saying that due up soon are the iPhone 5S as well as a cheaper version that will apparently be called the 5C. There isn't supposed to be much of a difference between the 5 and 5C/S except a better chip, possible NFC, a better camera and a few other rumored features, so if you just want the 5 go ahead and get it, or better yet wait for the 5S to come out (should be next month), the 5's pricetag will go down by about $100. Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I love my iPhone 5 and would recommend it to anyone, but rumors are saying that due up soon are the iPhone 5S as well as a cheaper version that will apparently be called the 5C. There isn't supposed to be much of a difference between the 5 and 5C/S except a better chip, possible NFC, a better camera and a few other rumored features, so if you just want the 5 go ahead and get it, or better yet wait for the 5S to come out (should be next month), the 5's pricetag will go down by about $100.

I just read there was a 6 right around the corner.  I don't know about iPhones though.

That or the HTC One is interesting at the moment.

With Apple's marketing, rumors of an "S" model should be obsolete, it's plain common sense that they would release an S model.  Now the C model caught me by surprise.  Either way, I'd still won't change to an iPhone, on top of that I'm about to dump my Galaxy S2 for an Xperia from Sony.

• 2 weeks later...

android-kit-kat.jpg

After "a whirlwind trip to Asia" visiting Android partners, Google's SVP Sundar Pichai has just confirmed -- by way of the above photo -- that the next version of his mobile OS is called KitKat aka Android 4.4.

The exec shared this geeky nugget on both Google+ and Twitter, while his company has updated the Android developer site with a page chronicling Android's milestones so far. Details are light at the moment, and Google teases its upcoming release with just the following line:

"It's our goal with Android KitKat to make an amazing Android experience available for everybody."

Pichai also announced that there are now over one billion Android device activations, surpassing the 900 million mark back in May this year. This is well ahead of the end-of-year target that Chairman Eric Schmidt predicted back in April. Just to recap, here are all the previous dessert-based names: Cupcake (1.5), Donut (1.6), Eclair (2.0), Froyo (2.2), Gingerbread (2.3), Honeycomb (3.0), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), and Jelly Bean (4.1-4.3). Naturally, it's "K" after "J" now. More after the break (pun intended).

Google has also confirmed that it got the blessing to use the "Kit Kat" trademark (though without the space), but with a twist. John Lagerling, director of Android global partnerships, explained to the BBC that "this is not a money-changing-hands kind of deal," but instead, they wanted do something "fun and unexpected."

Following one conference call with Nestle back in end of November, the deal was sealed just 24 hours later. And after finalising the details secretly at MWC, the chocolate snack is now doing a joint promotion with Google to give away some Nexus 7s and Google Play credit in the US and the UK.

The BBC reports that there will be more than 50 million Kit Kats promoting the Android mascot in 19 markets (including Brazil, India, Japan and Russia), but it's not clear if the giveaway promotion is

valid in those countries as well.

Lagerling also confirmed that his team did originally consider "Key Lime Pie" as a potential name for Android after Jelly Bean, but the issue was "very few people actually know the taste of a key lime pie." Fair enough. Until Google drops another Android activation number on us, feel free to make a guess on what's coming after KitKat. Hint: it begins with an "L."

------

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/03/android-kit-kat/

Edited by Cait Sith

Yeah, when I saw this post I was thinking wasn't it suppose to be Key Lime Pie?! Another note, I never even realized that it went alphabetical order!  And damn I had Android since Gingerbread and never even realized 3.0 was Honeycomb...then again I jumped from 2.3 to 4.0 so I guess that can be the reason.

There were a few ROM's that featured a lot of the things that KLP teased in the beginning, but let's see what KitKat unfolds.

*Side note, I believe Samsung is revealing the Galaxy Note 3 tomorrow.

Can't wait!

Apple has just sent out media invitations for its September 10 media event where the company is expected to introduce its next-generation iPhone hardware, reports The Loop. The event will begin at 10:00 AM Pacific Time and will be held at the company's headquarters in Cupertino, California. The tagline on the invitation reads "This should brighten everyone's day." 

sep_2013_event_invite.jpg
The September 10 date was first reported by AllThingsD last month, and was quickly confirmed by a number of other sources. Official invitations for the event were expected today given Apple's usual one-week lead time before such events. 

The event is expected to include the introduction of two new iPhone models: an iPhone 5S successor to the current iPhone 5 and a lower-cost iPhone 5C that will reportedly have internal components very similar to the iPhone 5 but wrapped in colorful new plastic shells. The event will undoubtedly also see a final preview of iOS 7 before it released to the public. 

Apple has also been reported to be launching new iPad and iPad mini models later this year, but they will not be making an appearance at this event. A number of Mac updates are also expected in the coming months, but they too are likely to held for a later date in order to give full focus for this event to the iPhone.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/03/apple-issues-invitations-for-september-10-media-event/

Getting the 5S myself, but looking forward to the 5C anyway. Hope the lower cost isn't too high for most people and actually competes with the big Android devices. The 5C is gonna look great with all the different colors too.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life