KFC is hot on grilled chicken but customers aren't buying it

Shortline Bus

KFC is hot on grilled chicken but customers aren't buying it

BY Rosemary Black

NY DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, August 17th 2010

KFC franchisees aren’t exactly crowing over the chicken giant’s decision to emphasize grilled rather than fried poultry.

In fact, some feel that this health-conscious strategy is confusing to the customer and bad for the brand, according to Bloomberg Business Week.

The chain, which is owned by Yum! Brands, may be aiming to please fat-phobes who don’t want to eat bone-in, breaded, oil-dipped chicken by offering a grilled product.

In January, the KFC National Council & Advertising Cooperative, the group that reps U.S. franchisees, decided to sue KFC to get control of the advertising strategy. This came in the wake of poor sales: second-quarter revenue at American KFCs (those open for a year or more) decreased 7%.

Larry Light, who once worked as McDonald’s chief marketing officer, has been hired by The Association of Kentucky Fried Chicken Franchises, which reps two-thirds of all KFCs in the United States.

They hope he can enhance marketing efforts without interference from headquarters. Calling the lawsuit "baseless," KFC did not have its current president, Roger Eaton, comment due to ongoing litigation.

In an email, KFC spokesperson Laurie Schalow wrote: "KFC’s strategy is derived from extensive consumer research. While some franchisees may not be aligned with this strategy, Roger Eaton is executing a plan that will ensure the KFC brand remains relevant with consumers."

Franchisees have been clucking with disapproval over a couple KFC decisions. Last year, the company introduced grilled chicken and the slogan, "Unthink KFC." In May 2009, the chain initiated a grilled chicken giveaway on “Oprah.”

Franchisees were told they might get a few hundred customers coming in to redeem their online coupons and get free chicken. Some franchises ran out of food when thousands showed up. “The cost to the franchisee was much larger than they said,” franchisee Pat Dempsey told Bloomberg Business Week. "That started a continued downfall in trust."

Since that promotion was canceled, sales of grilled chicken have sunk, according to Larry Starkey, owner of seven KFC franchises. He said grilled chicken accounts for only about 16% of the "on the bone" chicken he sells.

Some franchisees think customers would be happiest if the chain left well enough alone. One of them, Marilynn Pankratz, who said she learned how to fry chicken from Colonel Sanders himself, feels current KFC officers don’t care much about the herb-and-spice Original Recipe.

"They hire marketing guys with blue blazers who tell us what to do with our damn stores," she said. "But it’s one thing to be behind the big mahogany desk calling the shots and another to be down here in the trenches."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2010/08/17/2010-08-17_unhealthy_profits_kfc_pushing_grilled_chicken_but_are_people_buying.html#ixzz0wwJxAEBn

Down here in South Jersey on the 553, there is a Local Chicken Chain called Crown Fried Chicken and them SOBs kill KFC beyond belief. Then KFC came out with that stupid ass sandwich called the Double Down, that is the worst idea of a sandwich someone could ever think of.

There are so many places that grill chicken much better than KFC. Hell you can even grill it yourself to your liking if you have some sort of culinary skill. I'm not surprised.

For starters, Boston Market grilled chicken is better KFC IMO but not cheap. Or for local NYC Chicken places, Chriping Chicken on 85th/Lex in Manhattan is also very good.

And why should they, god knows they have the money to do it and their product is actually half way decent.

Mickey D' Grilled Chicken sandwich is actually pretty good. Although very salty their nuggets and chicken sandwichs is also descent way better than KFC.

Just Pizza Hut and Dominio's, KFC should stick to making fried chicken only.:confused:

Simple reasoning: who goes to KFC for grilled chicken? If I'm going to a Kentucky Fried Chicken, I expect to eat fried chicken. If I wanted grilled chicken, I'd go to a place that's known for grilled chicken, or I'd stay at home and make my own chicken.

In response to McDonald's as a coffee shop: blech. Their coffee's alright, but their frappes have so many unnecessary calories. And the smoothies are nothing to write home about.

Simple reasoning: who goes to KFC for grilled chicken? If I'm going to a Kentucky Fried Chicken, I expect to eat fried chicken. If I wanted grilled chicken, I'd go to a place that's known for grilled chicken, or I'd stay at home and make my own chicken.

In response to McDonald's as a coffee shop: blech. Their coffee's alright, but their frappes have so many unnecessary calories. And the smoothies are nothing to write home about.

Or if Nathan's tried(I would not suprised if they came out with it) a low fat Hot Dog I am sure it would flop.:tdown:

Popeyes > KFC any day of the week

And why should they, god knows they have the money to do it and their product is actually half way decent.

I agree. I love their Mocha McFrappe, and unlike Starbucks I don't have to pay twice what I should be just because it sounds fancy and French. The only thing is that the McFrappe doesn't really go with anything else you can buy at McDonald's (doesn't really go with any of their burgers like soda does).

Also, the guy who invented McDonald's is a genius. The chain is completely recession-proof. In bad economic times lines are still really long at pretty much any McDonald's restaurant because of their dollar menu (unless you're in Manhattan or popular places like Flushing), which still helps them rake in millions.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.0; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Oh posh, its just chicken

...here's an idea, while there's some time left in the summer, just make some your damn self. It'll save you time & money

Also, the guy who invented McDonald's is a genius. The chain is completely recession-proof. In bad economic times lines are still really long at pretty much any McDonald's restaurant because of their dollar menu (unless you're in Manhattan or popular places like Flushing), which still helps them rake in millions.

Actually the founders of McDonalds were actuallly brothers named "McDonald" no joke. Richard and Maurice McDonald were the creators of it.

However it was Businessman Ray Kroc who brought the hamburger chain from the McDonald Brothers in the 1950's and was the genuis of turning it into the world's most famous resturant. Kroc died in the mid 1980's and is run as a multi-national corp; just like Coke-Cola, Nike, Wal-Mart, Sony, etc.

Guys if you have time here link for History/info of McDonald's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald%27s

KFC's sides kill Popeyes' sides (minus the fries and biscuits, Popeyes biscuits are only 2nd to Red Lobster's).

The KFC Famous Bowl is so good too.

That double down is one of the nastiest foods I've ever seen, it belongs on Fear Factor.

I'm sorry, but am I the only one who is still shocked that people still go to KFC? I mean, it wasn't too long ago when they were referred to as "Kentucky Fried Critters"

Let not forget the infamous rats at the Greenwich Village KFC store that became infamous International News stars a few years back.:)

I'm not surprised. I kinda thought the Grilled Chicken thing wouldn't be all to popular.

They are famous for fried chicken. I don't know why they even thought they would really do well with it. Mc Donald's probably sells more grilled chicken than they do!

Well I'd rather have KFC than McDiarrhea any day.

I'm not surprised. I kinda thought the Grilled Chicken thing wouldn't be all to popular.

Well I'd rather have KFC than McDiarrhea any day.

Well One thing if you eat too much at KFC, Mickey D's or any fast food joint with high salt meals, you be soon be having high blood pressure, diabetics, etc.:)

Let not forget the infamous rats at the Greenwich Village KFC store that became infamous International News stars a few years back.:)

I'd prefer not to be reminded of that since I ate there a week before the city closed it down.

That's one fast food chain I will never eat at again!

I'd prefer not to be reminded of that since I ate there a week before the city closed it down.

That's one fast food chain I will never eat at again!

LMAO! (sorry Nova)

Archived