PLEASE READ, Rally for LIB ,everyone is needed

twty22

i understand what you are saying. i know i pay taxes also and agree is super high these school taxes.

long island bus is a vicious cycle, ridership is low compared to the city buses. To get more ridership its gotta go where people want when they want it, many routes outside of that main queens to hempstead/freeport corridor have half hour to hourly service to run more buses they could attract more people but itll cost money and no guarantee the ridership will be there. Many towns have no bus service at all or are served by one route not necisarily where people live. Its just suburban planning was designed for people to drive places, so thats always going to be a challenge for Long Island bus or any suburban bus system. Theres this Italian Ice place in a lil shopping center where I live, I see tons of people driving like 2-3 blocks to it instead of just walking, so thats the other thing LIB has to contend with, people no matter how short a distance that will drive whereas in a city neighborhood such places would be walking distance and people would be more likely to walk.

OK; I don't understand now. If the agency was always owned by Nassau and operated by MTA; then what was the "takeover" transaction that just occurred in the last couple years, and why would they do this only to try and drop the whole operation?

When they say "privatize", do they mean like what the MTA does with Atlantic Express, where Atlantic Express keeps the farebox money and the MTA reimburses them for running the service (for example: if the cost per person is $8.00 and the fare is $5.50, the MTA reimburses Atlantic Express $2.50 plus some extra money so Atlantic Express makes a profit). If that is the case, this might work for some of the routes that have a high cost per rider, but privatization might make it worthwhile to keep.

Taking a look at this document: (http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100125_1617_service2010-libus.pdf), the average route runs at about a 54% farebox recovery ratio weekdays, a 56% farebox recovery ratio on Saturdays, and a 60% farebox recovery ratio on Sundays, meaning that if the more expensive routes were contracted out to dollar van companies that could accept MetroCards, they would be more cost-efficient.

Judging by the look of this, though, the only route that takes in more than it costs is the N40/N41, with approximately a 104% farebox recovery ratio. The N6, N35, and N4 might not need any subsidies if they were privatized, and the N31/N32, N48/N49, N48, N16, N22, N15, N54/N55, N58, N33, N24, N70/N71/N72 might be able to be run with minimal subsidies. All of the other routes are going to require higher subsidies.

By doing this, residents don't have to worry about higher taxes, since privatization keeps the costs lower, and riders still keep their service.

why is the union protesting on a saturday? and why dont they protest at the county offices?

good question.. i think it would of been better during the week

long island bus is a vicious cycle, ridership is low compared to the city buses. To get more ridership its gotta go where people want when they want it, many routes outside of that main queens to hempstead/freeport corridor have half hour to hourly service to run more buses they could attract more people but itll cost money and no guarantee the ridership will be there. Many towns have no bus service at all or are served by one route not necisarily where people live. Its just suburban planning was designed for people to drive places, so thats always going to be a challenge for Long Island bus or any suburban bus system. Theres this Italian Ice place in a lil shopping center where I live, I see tons of people driving like 2-3 blocks to it instead of just walking, so thats the other thing LIB has to contend with, people no matter how short a distance that will drive whereas in a city neighborhood such places would be walking distance and people would be more likely to walk.

you cant compare ridership from city buses to LIB... much more people live in the city vs long island

They better really rethink the day of protest other than Saturday to get more attention.

i know why they did it because most of us work during the week and they want us to go. if most of us work during the week its hard to show our numbers ,,, you know..

i know why they did it because most of us work during the week and they want us to go. if most of us work during the week its hard to show our numbers ,,, you know..

Oh well, its the union decision. I still think it would be better if they protest during the week and rally at the Nassau County government offices just to get some New York local tv station media in.

Oh well, its the union decision. I still think it would be better if they protest during the week and rally at the Nassau County government offices just to get some New York local tv station media in.

well from what we are told media is supposed to be there. only time will tell.

No, Nassua County wants to give the MTA the boot and pick someone else to run it in thier place. The MTA would be out of the LIB picture completly.

lets break this down the easy way.

MTA said they are pulling there funds out of LIB

Then nassau county responded with looking at making LIB go private because MTA pulling the funds.

if MTA didnt say we are pulling the funds out nassau county would never be thinking about LIB to go Private.

No, Nassua County wants to give the MTA the boot and pick someone else to run it in thier place. The MTA would be out of the LIB picture completly.

But would there still be subsidies? Because if the Nassau County government decided to privatize the whole authority, there would be massive fare hikes and service cuts. The average route costs $2.55 per passenger to operate, meaning that fares would have to be raised to $3.50 without transfers being accepted in order for a private company to consider taking over the routes in order to account for lost ridership due to the increased fares. Either that or they would cut half of the routes in Long Island to keep the fares affordable.

How does this privitizing compare with the way NJTransit does it?

I am not very knowledgeable about this area, but I think NJT purchases new buses and gives low cost (a dollar a year!?) leases to companies like Academy to operate some of its routes.

Could that work for LIB?

It means, again, that the county wants to take the MTA out of the LIB picture completly and totally. No MTA money, no MTA personal. Lets put it this way, Nassau wants it's own verson of Bee-line.

well the county tried this 15 yrs ago to make it go private which didnt happen then soooo.. who knows

• 2 months later...
Man way off topic Citaro. This is about a rally to save a Transit budget cut in Long Island, NY, USA not an Economics class.

Please stay focused Citaro. Thank U.

I'm focused. I just want to talk about privatization in conjunction with LIR.

Archived