R142 ran on the 7 last night?

NYtransit

ive been hearing news of an R142 or an R142A that ran on the 7 line (not sure if it was on passenger service,or just moving,but they said it ran last night,and early morning (6-7am) is this true? i really dont believe it,cause then it wouldn't have been at the corona yard by now.

ive been hearing news of an R142 or an R142A that ran on the 7 line (not sure if it was on passenger service,or just moving,but they said it ran last night,and early morning (6-7am) is this true? i really dont believe it,cause then it wouldn't have been at the corona yard by now.

A NTT on the (7) is pretty big. It's something that would have been known about for some time now, as opposed to a surprise car move.

In addition, if it was on the (7), would it have been in Coney Island Yard for sometime? The reason why I'm asking is because (if I am correct) there isn't really a set of tracks that go straight from 207 St. Shop/Yard to the IRT Corona Yard.

From being on the nostalgia train (back on 7/31/10), even after boarding at Court Street, we still had to go back into Uptown Manhattan along 6th Avenue (could have done it along 8th too [maybe]), switch ends and then go back South along the (D)/(Q) to Coney Island, in lieu of going back down the (A),(C), or (F) (if they went down the (F), the train would have diverged b/t York and Jay Street to go down Fulton St and not Culver).

If I am not correct, please correct me, since we all learn something new each and every day (this includes everyone).

In addition, if it was on the (7), would it have been in Coney Island Yard for sometime? The reason why I'm asking is because (if I am correct) there isn't really a set of tracks that go straight from 207 St. Shop/Yard to the IRT Corona Yard.

From being on the nostalgia train (back on 7/31/10), even after boarding at Court Street, we still had to go back into Uptown Manhattan along 6th Avenue (could have done it along 8th too [maybe]), switch ends and then go back South along the (D)/(Q) to Coney Island, in lieu of going back down the (A),(C), or (F) (if they went down the (F), the train would have diverged b/t York and Jay Street to go down Fulton St and not Culver).

If I am not correct, please correct me, since we all learn something new each and every day (this includes everyone).

When train gets transferred from the IRT, it usually comes thru 207th St yard unless it goes thru Linden Shop. There are not tracks that go straight from one yard to any other yard, but they all connect. If this did happen, the train of R142s might have come from the (1) line thru 207th St and down to the BMT Southern Div. where it could get on the (N)(Q) lines and get on the (7).

The only connections between the two divisions (A and :) are as follows:

-Through 207 Yd (access to (1) and (A))

-Through Concourse Yard (access to (4) and (:P(D))

-Queensboro Plaza (access to (N) and (7))

-Through Linden w/no 3rd rail (access between (L) and (3) - a diesel has to do the move

That's it.

I don't know about it, but as you know any R142/A's would have to be CBTC enabled to run on the (7), <7>. The future R188 would mostly be CBTC configured R142A's. Some of them would be new but most of them would be old. To be specific 146 of them would be new and 360 of them would just be conversions. Anyway even if that R142 was CBTC enabled it could have just been a NT testing train. To see how the R188's would handle on the (7), <7> route. So if there are any (7), <7> riders the R142's and the R188's would look similar to each other. Be prepared to handle loud noises similar to the R142A's. They have loud AC systems that can block out even the sound of the motors, because R188's are conversions they wouldn't sound much different.

I don't know about it, but as you know any R142/A's would have to be CBTC enabled to run on the (7), <7>. The future R188 would mostly be CBTC configured R142A's. Some of them would be new but most of them would be old. To be specific 146 of them would be new and 360 of them would just be conversions. Anyway even if that R142 was CBTC enabled it could have just been a NT testing train. To see how the R188's would handle on the (7), <7> route. So if there are any (7), <7> riders the R142's and the R188's would look similar to each other. Be prepared to handle loud noises similar to the R142A's. They have loud AC systems that can block out even the sound of the motors, because R188's are conversions they wouldn't sound much different.

The (7) line's CBTC isn't even online or setup yet.

The way things are now and will be until ~2015, you don't have to have CBTC enabled to run an R142/A on the (7). Also, the loud trains you're thinking of are the R142s. The R142As are noticeably quieter and much more tolerable. Besides, not even the R142s are loud on elevated portions which comprise the majority of the (7) line.

Archived